Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sawyer's Blackberry App/Game/Theme Review Thread

Sawyer
    vCash

Sawyer's Blackberry App/Game/Theme Review Thread

Theme: Propoganda
    $6.99

Posted Image

Got this one just last night. I was a little hesitant based on the price but really liked the look of it. To my surprise, the theme is animated when scrolling in the main screen. All icons are changed and the theme is dual tiered in the way it displays the main screen. The foreground stays primary while the background can be changed to four different wallpapers in varying colours that change the colour scheme of everything.
    This one is definitely worth the buy if you're willing to chip in $7 on a theme.

Sawyer
    vCash
    Game: Final Fantasy
    $4.99 (I think it was)

Posted Image
    Posted Image

FF fans will love this. It's a throwback to the FF look and feel from way back when. No need to get ROM's to play old school anymore, you can get this one in the app world. You have a choice of different types of characters that you use: warrior, thief, white mage, black mage, ninja and I forget the last one. Once you pick your party, they're yours for the whole game. Be warned that you pretty much start off nude (not literally) and have to go to the weapons and armor shop to suit up before gallivanting across the land to save Princess Sarah on your first mission as the four warriors of light. You'll get hours of enjoyment from this game if you're one of those take your time and build up stats and explore everything like I am.

Sawyer
    vCash
    Game: Number Cruncher
    Free

Posted Image

A very simple and addictive game to download for free. If you've got a few minutes to waste, this is a game worth playing. The concept of the game is to highlight numbers in either sequence or in runs. ie; 9-1-1-2-3-2-3-4-4-5. You're given a set amount of time to amass a high score and you can gain extra time by using the highlighted blocks for a multiplier and +10 seconds.
    This is probably the most downloaded free game in the app world.

Sawyer
    vCash
    App: The Hockey News
    Free

Posted Image

Nicely compacted for a mobile device. Even with my terribly slow wireless connection in the north, this app was fast to display their stories, blogs, news and scores. A red star appears on the icon whenever a new story has been published for viewing. Definately worth downloading for any hockey fan that wants news without having to go on their browser.

HS
    I downloaded THN awhile back and it was such a memory whore. Not worth owning. Also, Pixelated is a fantastic game. Got it for cheap. And another app if you own a touchscreen is the Opera Mini. A must have.

AD
    Logical Phallus/James Duthie Fanboy AD's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    Game: Final Fantasy
    $4.99 (I think it was)

Posted Image
    Posted Image

FF fans will love this. It's a throwback to the FF look and feel from way back when. No need to get ROM's to play old school anymore, you can get this one in the app world. You have a choice of different types of characters that you use: warrior, thief, white mage, black mage, ninja and I forget the last one. Once you pick your party, they're yours for the whole game. Be warned that you pretty much start off nude (not literally) and have to go to the weapons and armor shop to suit up before gallivanting across the land to save Princess Sarah on your first mission as the four warriors of light. You'll get hours of enjoyment from this game if you're one of those take your time and build up stats and explore everything like I am.
    Wait. Is this the original NES version? Do you start out at Coneria?

Sawyer
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HS View Post
    I downloaded THN awhile back and it was such a memory whore. Not worth owning. Also, Pixelated is a fantastic game. Got it for cheap. And another app if you own a touchscreen is the Opera Mini. A must have.
    I have the Curve 2, I don't notice any lag in any other programs when keeping THN going.

Quote Originally Posted by AD View Post
    It's an updated and clean version of the original FF1.
    Cornelia is what the game says, it may be an update on the name or what not.

AD
    vCash
    Holy crap. This is awesome.

Varvatos
    Sawyer, what kind of Blackberry do you have?
    Here's the one I have.
    Posted Image

I am still thinking about getting the Torch.

Apps I have on my 9700 - Twitter, Google Maps, Weather Network, Flixter, Facebook, THN, Score, Photobucket, Shazam, Flickr, Poynt, Yellowpages, and Lookout Mobile Security.

The games are the standard brick breaker, word mole and Texas Hold'Em King 2.

Not many cool games out that I would want on mine. I had this theme before that had these scroll out home screen menus and what not, I think the folks that made it was something like "blackstar" or something like that. I don't like the animated wallpaper, it slows things down and I hate that.

Sawyer
    vCash
    I have the 8530

Sawyer
    vCash
    Game: Chess Anywhere
    Free

(iPhone version pic shown)
    Posted Image

A quick easy game to play for Chess enthusiasts. You won't find the difficulty for high on this game though which is a shame. If you can make it past the second round of an IRL Chess tournament, you won't have any problems with this game. Still, it's free so you get what you pay for.

Sawyer
    vCash
    Game: Hotel Tycoon Resort
    $1.99

Posted Image

Addictive enough game at first but very short. You get four scenarios in storyline mode which is a bit of a tutorial at the same time. You get into free build mode as well but only after the storyline. Time does fly by when playing this game. Once you get up to a certain point, it's all humdrum gameplay though as you end up with more money than you can spend at any rate. They should have gone all Classic Sim City and had natural disasters that tear up shops and bars. It was good enough to waste the $1.99 for the amount of time that I had it, beat the storyline and went to free build until max. I don't think I'll be playing it again though

Sawyer
    vCash
    Theme: Imagining Theme
    Free

Posted Image

This one was my theme from inception until I got the Propaganda Theme. Very nice and easy to read. The icons bounce when scrolling by them in the main screen which was nice. Be warned though that the developer puts in a link icon in your folder that you can't get rid of unless you uninstall the theme. I just kept the icon hidden anyways. If you're looking for a free theme that looks nice without cluttering things up, this is the one to get

Sawyer
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AD View Post
    So I was going through one of the towns that had three gravemarkers, this is the Elven town of whatever it was called. I go up to the three graves and the first one says "Here lies Link" the other two are blanks.
    Is this a shot at Nintendo by Namco? I don't remember seeing this in the original as it's been way too long since I've played it.

BTW
    FF is a Square Enix game but published on the BB by Namco.

AD
    vCash
    Crescent Lake.

Varvatos
    Theme: Imagining Theme
    Free

Posted Image

This one was my theme from inception until I got the Propaganda Theme. Very nice and easy to read. The icons bounce when scrolling by them in the main screen which was nice. Be warned though that the developer puts in a link icon in your folder that you can't get rid of unless you uninstall the theme. I just kept the icon hidden anyways. If you're looking for a free theme that looks nice without cluttering things up, this is the one to get
    That's not a bad theme. I had that for a few days. I usually just like to use my own pictures that I have downloaded as my screen background.

Varvatos
    I have the 8530
    I hated how the 8530 felt when you typed, it was a plastic-y feel to them. Type with the 9700 and then the 8530, you'll know, that and the feel...one feels like it can break if you drop and the other is build solid.

I'm annoyed that Rogers sent me a factory defect 9800 but whatever, I'll wait. I still enjoy my 9700.

Varvatos
    Tsn Blackberry App - http://www.tsn.ca/blackberry/

Go to your bb and type in www.tsn.ca/bb

Varvatos
    When the fuck is OS 6 coming out for 9700's and other blackberry's? Apparently my Torch is on an even longer backorder (fuck you Rogers, buy the Leafs, you belong to each other for being so fuckin' inept).

I should make a few blackberry theme's. There are shitty NHL ones, I could make a few and sell them! I'll charge people 75 cents, if 500 people buy them...that's 375 net profit! I should target the Leafs fan base and then the Habs.

Sawyer
    vCash
    Not a bad idea VCX. Think I'll make one for the Habs

http://us.blackberry.com/developers/themes/devtools.jsp
    The BlackBerry Theme Studio is a free suite of graphics design tools that allows graphics designers, software developers and hobbyists to create colorful and interactive BlackBerry smartphone themes, mobile websites, splash screens, graphics and animated content that are optimized for the BlackBerry smartphone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast