+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Brad Richards and Toronto

Dallas Dave
    vCash

Brad Richards and Toronto

Hey guys,

I just wanted to fill you guys in on some info regarding the Maple Leafs and Brad Richards. It turns out the Leafs were never seriously considered at all. There were quite a few problems that Richards had with the Leafs:

The first problem: The team, to put it bluntly, was just not good enough. The stuff about the "not wanting to play in the media spotlight" was very much overplayed by his agent as a way to "soften the blow" but the reality was it was all about the team itself. Brad felt that even with him in the lineup they were unlikely to be a playoff team. The only way he would have taken the Maple Leafs seriously is if they had secured Tomas Vokoun or Ilya Bryzgalov's rights before free agency started and signed them to a contract. Richards felt strongly that he wanted to go to a team that was already a lock to make the playoffs and make them even better. Toronto's goaltending and lack of scoring depth was a massive concern to him.

The second problem: Ron Wilson. Wilson's reputation around the league isn't the best, and Richards simply didn't want to play for him. Richards had heard some stories from people who had played for Wilson in the past that made Richards not interested in joining a club that Wilson would be coaching. Specifically, Richards had heard about Wilson being "stubborn" and not willing to adapt game plans during a game, that frankly seemed trivial, but Richards felt he was not a post-lockout coach and he was still using strategies that have been known to fail.

The third issue: Brian Burke. Richards said he felt that Brian Burke's change of course last season was "distressing". He said that he didn't want to be part of an organization that appears to be "adrift at sea." Burke deals 1st rounders to get a player, then he signs some free agents, and then he trades those same free agents away to get draft picks. He acquired Kris Versteeg, then less then a season later he trades Versteeg away for draft picks. Beauchemin and Versteeg were name-checked. Richards didn't know what the plan was: Is Burke building the team? Is he re-building? Is he re-tooling? Is he starting over?

Richards also had an issue with Tomas Kaberle having his name in trade rumors for such an extended period of time. Richards felt that a player with his long-standing track record as a loyal Maple Leaf deserved a lot more respect than he was receiving from Burke, who would leave Kaberle hanging out to dry and wouldn't just come out and tell reporters he wasn't available (even if he was shopping him). This in addition to Richards feeling that Burke has a bit too much of a love for the spotlight. Essentially, he was extremely wary of being part of a Brian Burke organization because he felt that over the last few years it's been clear there really wasn't much of a plan in place and way too often Burke seems to change course on a whim.

The fourth issue: Not showing up for a face-to-face meeting. This ultimately was the final straw, though the Leafs weren't really in serious contention to begin with, Burke opting not to show up for the face-to-face meeting. Richards indicated that if he were to consider Toronto, there were a lot of questions he wanted answered: What do the Leafs plan on doing with their goaltending situation? What's the plan in terms of when this will be playoff team? What's the plan for this summer? Is Ron Wilson the long-term coach, etc. Then Burke doesn't show up. Richards felt slighted by that and opted not to ask Nonis any of the questions, essentially eliminating the Maple Leafs before they were even in the running.

On a related note, people were quick to dismiss Calgary (myself included), but amazingly they were very much in the thick of the running for Richards' services. Brad was ready to sign in New York, but he had a good feeling about Calgary and wanted to sleep on it. The Flames, amazingly, were very, very close. Credit Jay Feaster and Jarome Iginla for almost being able to pull off the coup.

DD

mayoradamwest
    zachery ty bryanesque mayoradamwest's Avatar
    vCash
    This is all bullshit. Fuck off and don't try feeding me this tripe again.

Machine of Loving Grace
    I'm sure the forthcoming responses by Leaf fans will be cheerful and trusting on this big update from Dave.

iwishihadacup
    Avstin is smiling iwishihadacup's Avatar
    vCash
    LOLWUT
    I'm back bitches

PredsFan77
    THE FUCKING PISSCHRIST OF POSTERS PredsFan77's Avatar
    vCash
    Dave sounds bitter sfusufsufusfusufsf
    CDX.NA.IG.9

Posted Image

Big#D
    vCash
    I scooped this story on the Leafs Broad a good 3 hours ago, albeit talking about the Lebda and Slaney for Franson and Lombardi trade ....

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Release View Post
    Being thrilled with this trade is like being thrilled that you traded a rock for a bigger rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huddle View Post
    Lol, wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Big#D View Post
    I believe he's saying that you have a shitty team and that trading crappy players for mediocre players isn't going to make the team much less shitty than it was before.

Blue
    vCash
    The real reason is that Brad didn't want to be mere meters from the CBC where likely Ron Maclean would be constantly asking to blow him.

Tiguak
    Registered Broad
    vCash
    well...I'll concede Brad's point about Ron Wilson. He's not a coach a lot of people in the NHL would want to play for.

However, there are serious issues with the rest of Brad's concerns.

If he's upset that Burke was in Afghanistan visiting the troops instead of making a personal appearance to try and woo him, then that's pretty shallow. It's not like Burke was out fishing or something. It was for a good cause.

And for Versteeg, we don't know what was going on, but I'm willing to bet that he requested a trade and Burke made it. I can't prove it, but that makes the most sense. It was clear Versteeg wasn't happy to play in Toronto, so why keep him here?

And in the case of Kaberle....c'mon...the media were all over it...what was Burke going to do? Burke said all the right things about the situation with the exception that he ended up asking Kaberle to accept a trade to Boston when he said he wouldn't ask him to waive. But in the end, it worked out rather well for Kaberle didn't it?

Let's call a spade a spade here....Richard's knew he wanted to play in New York and all this drama was just to up the asking price for his services.

It would have been nice to see him in Toronto, but not for nine years. I hope he performs out there, otherwise he might be sharing the bus with Wade Redden...

Blue
    vCash
    Sean Avery's brave stance on gay rights was a game changer too.

Machine of Loving Grace
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiguak View Post
    If he's upset that Burke was in Afghanistan visiting the troops instead of making a personal appearance to try and woo him, then that's pretty shallow. It's not like Burke was out fishing or something. It was for a good cause.
    Brian Burke gets paid to be a GM for an NHL team and decides to do a charity event on one of the most important days of his job. If he doesn't want to be GM and wants to do charity stuff, he should give up the position to Nonis (who seems like the real GM anyway) and just be the dancing President. You think people would be cool with Jim Balsille if he was off in Haiti for a charity event during the Blackberry Playbook release?

And for Versteeg, we don't know what was going on, but I'm willing to bet that he requested a trade and Burke made it. I can't prove it, but that makes the most sense. It was clear Versteeg wasn't happy to play in Toronto, so why keep him here?
    Okay, you're willing to bet one thing but what if it wasn't that?

I hope he performs out there, otherwise he might be sharing the bus with Wade Redden...
    Redden is interesting to think about when it comes to this. If he was upset as to how Toronto treated Kaberle, what about how New York treated Wade Resden?

Indrew
    vCash
    Burke was out scouting in Kandahar. Give the man a break, he got lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    FUCK YOU INDREW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
    FUCK YOU INDREW

HS
    That's interesting DD. Did FerrisRox hold his ankles when you were rimming him?

mcphee
    vCash
    A serviceman was over heard remarking on how Burke's hair is nicer on tv.

Tiguak
    Registered Broad
    vCash
    Burke responded to the whole trip to Afghanistan trip in the Toronto paper either today or yesterday. Basically, it was them that asked if he could go out there to visit the troops...it's not like he said he'd like to go on a PR tour over there. Like I said. Going on a fishing trip during July 1st is one thing...supporting the troops during July 1st is altogether different.

And as for the Versteeg situation, if I'm wrong about him requesting a trade, then I'm wrong. But what I'm not wrong on is that he wasn't working out in Toronto and he was shipped out. It's hockey...players get traded.

mcphee
    vCash
    Burke responded to the whole trip to Afghanistan trip in the Toronto paper either today or yesterday. Basically, it was them that asked if he could go out there to visit the troops...it's not like he said he'd like to go on a PR tour over there. Like I said. Going on a fishing trip during July 1st is one thing...supporting the troops during July 1st is altogether different.

And as for the Versteeg situation, if I'm wrong about him requesting a trade, then I'm wrong. But what I'm not wrong on is that he wasn't working out in Toronto and he was shipped out. It's hockey...players get traded.
    Is there good fishing in Afghanistan ?

whatisloov
    vCash
    Brad Richards 1st mistake, doubting James Reimer.

Machine of Loving Grace
    Yeah, supporting the troops is about as meaningful as a fishing trip.

:lr:

Punch
    vCash
    Question DD;

When shit comes out of your mouth, do you wipe with napkins or toilet paper?

Blue
    vCash
    Nearly everyone I follow on twatter is a hockey source...I have yet to see a RT of this. Dallas Dave, your powers are weak, old man.

Posted Image

Big#D
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand Of Gomez View Post
    Brad Richards 1st mistake, doubting James Reimer.
    Leafs fans counting on an unproven goalie is their 3,498,475,378th mistake.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Tags

• brian burke fills hot air balloon with single breath
  • maple leafs miss playoffs for world record seventh consecutive season