+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013: General Penguins Discussion (Prospects, Current Roster, Salary Cap, Line-Up, Free Agency, etc)

Roger Sterling
    Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce Roger Sterling's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaJ View Post
    Do you think Dan needs to be more regimented/strict or whatever?
    No one needs a coach that behaves the way we have seen Boudreau behave.
    I think it would be easy to assume that when you have talent like Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Sutter, Glass, Fleury, Bennett, hard working guys like Vitale, Niskanen and so on, that you teach them a system and they could implement it/make it work.
    Maybe he needs to keep a more professional air with them and implementwhat he wants, instead of the more relaxed approach that he has with the team.
    Watch Bylsma's 1st season as a coach, well the year he took over. The aggressive forecheck and the way the defense used to get the puck and kick the transition game into gear. That team was unreal and they didn't even have the puck moving guys we have now. We had Scuderi and freakin' Gill.

The problem is, the Pens defensemen try to cycle the puck in their own zone and that causes turnovers. 2009 Penguins would take the puck and quickly move it out of their own zone, then down to the other end to cycle the puck and tire out the other team. The Pens would come at the other team in waves to sustain pressure. By waves I mean 1-2 players would go off while the team was cycling the puck for a line change.

So this is how it would go...

4th line would dump in the puck, 2 guys would go in to forecheck, the rest would quickly swap up for the 3rd line, they would cycle the puck down low, pinning players and making it so the other team couldn't make a wholesale line change, then Geno or Sid's line would come out and just brutalize them.

Now it's carry the puck in, lose it at the blue line or go off sides or attempt a dump in but go change up while 1 man forechecks.

We were a 2-1-2 team.

Now we are a 2-2-1 team.

A team that ices the puck way too often because they don't move the puck out fast enough in their own zone.

It's just subtle things. I haven't coached in about 4yrs, but it's pretty easy to see even for the novice hockey fan that the problems the Pens are having aren't so much personnel, as it is coaching. Rossi, in his infinite stupidity, goes on to blame guys like Kennedy and Dupuis for the roles they play. That's not entirely fair or even remotely true.

Therrien put that system in place, Bylsma just ironed out the kinks and put the right people together to make it work, then Bylsma decided to implement his system and we never really saw how good it was because we were riding hot streaks from Geno and Sid and then barely staying alive due to injuries and all Bylsma did then was implement a system that basically tried to store 2-3 goals and protect the lead no matter what. Then the playoffs came and we got embarrassed, 2yrs running.
    “When God closes a door, he opens a dress.”
    Posted ImagePosted Image

RebeccaJ
    vCash
    I agree that it is a coaching problem, or lack thereof.
    I just wonder how hands on Dan is with defense? Although he has to be accountable when he is the head coach.
    Esp when we have the talent that is the team; yet we struggle with mediocre teams. ( Jersey for shit sakes)

Roger Sterling
    vCash
    The defense being coached by Reirden isn't the issue, Dan comes up with the system as a whole and then tells Reirden to adjust, but we don't have the personnel to play that kind of style and well, it doesn't work for the Penguins at either end of the rink.

The pressure isn't sustained by the Pens offense in the offensive end and the defense doesn't move the puck out of their zone fast enough. If you can download or get a copy of games from 2008-09 when Bylsma took over and that year's playoffs...you'll notice how that team played vs how this team plays. That team wasn't as talented as this team either.
    Posted ImagePosted Image

Roger Sterling
    vCash
    LOL, thank you NJ Devils.

They claimed the useless fuck that is Tom Kostopoulos, off waivers.

Now Shero HAS to trade for someone that isn't useless. Or he keeps Beau and DJ as the rotating 13th man for forwards. Maybe if Megna or Thompson play well enough, they'll get called up, they won't have to worry about the waiver bs.
    Posted ImagePosted Image

Roger Sterling
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Sterling View Post
    Was browsing the Boreds prospect thread and yeah...we need some talent in the WBS squad for forwards. On D we're ok, they're one of the best in the league I think, but adding D'Agostino would be a huge boost since he will likely bring that offense with him and a solid all around ability.

Hanowski will be an awesome addition and I am curious if the guy finally added another gear or two to his speed, really hope so.

Agostino joining would be nice, I think he's finishing his degree early, but he's a guy that wants to take advantage of the schooling stuff so I expect him to maybe start his masters or something, 1st year of it anyway and then leave and finish that up during the summers, etc.

But there are some UFA's I would love for Shero to target.

Parker Milner - Boston College Goaltender - Pittsburgh born, his stats are unreal.
    Antoine Laganiere - Plays with Agostino, 6'4" with huge reach and the last 2yrs he's been damn good and he's a C, he was at the Pens camp and then the Oilers and in 2011 he was at the Nucks camp, might be this year's big UFA out of College along with Milner. He's 22yrs old.
    Jeremy Langlois - A RW/RH guy that is having a damn good year, he's scored 28 goals so far in the past 66 games, 11 this year and 17 the year before. He's on the small side 6' and under 180lbs, but he could be a good consolation prize if Shero missed out on Laganiere.
    Andrej Sustr - Huge guy that doesn't suck, could be the guy that bucks our trend of shitty d-men that are huge (McKenna, Valabik, etc). He was at the Pens camp and plays with Archibald.

I'm not sure if Sustr is leaving school but like Laganiere, the Pens have a prospect playing with each guy. If I could, I would definitely ask the kid to sell the Penguins on them and try to get them both in Pittsburgh, if we miss out on Milner, that's fine, Murray & Maguire might be half decent, they have a better upside than Killeen.

It's pretty clear that we have shit for centers that are close to playing in the AHL. Blueger is going to be in college a while and Sundqvist might not come over for a year or two. So that leaves who? Uher doesn't play C anymore and Marcantuoni has been incredibly unimpressive and he's a W/C. We need a natural C in the system that is closer to being ready than those guys, that could be a guy like Laganiere.

Shero did clean some house this year, either by choice or not.

Out: Sneep, Strait, Lovejoy, Rogalski, and Tangradi
    In: No one, Boychuk was a waiver pick up and he's likely gone soon.

Defense depth chart in the AHL is now: Grant, Samuelsson, Morrow, and Dumoulin.
    ECHL: McNeill
    Junior/College: D'Agostino, Velischek, Seymour, Harrington, Pouliot, and Maatta.

Next year, joining WBS...

D'Agostino & Harrington

So in WBS: D'Agostino, Harrington, Morrow, Dumoulin, Samuelsson, and Grant.

Guys in bold are veterans at this point.

Just to add to this, I wouldn't mind Eriah Hayes and maybe Ryan Walter (Archibald's linemate). Shero has some contract spots since he lost a few guys - Kostopoulos, Sneep, Strait, Lovejoy, Tangradi, and Boychuk. 4 of them were legit spots since the others were recent signings.
    Posted ImagePosted Image

Roger Sterling
    vCash
    Yahoo writer makes Rossi look like an idiot, this guy is awesome, Rossi is an idiot and this guy does it with facts.

COMMENTARY | The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's Rob Rossi christened the maiden voyage of the Pittsburgh Penguins' 2013 trade rumor season by smashing a bottle of Jack Johnson over the bow of the league's 20th-ranked defense Monday.
    From Rossi's blog,

"This past summer, while pursuing free-agent defenseman Ryan Suter, the Penguins envisioned pairing Letang with an elite partner.
    "Jack Johnson, 26, could potentially fit that description."

While a defensive upgrade should absolutely be on the Penguins radar--the team has allowed three or more goals against in seven of its last eight games, including six goals against in three separate instances--Johnson's cap hit and production hardly scream "elite."

At $4.35 million per season through 2018, Johnson's contract is not an easy one to digest, even if relatively cap-friendly. His stats are no better. The former third-overall pick is a career minus-95, was traded out of Los Angeles a season ago and has negative Corsi numbers this season in Columbus, where he was averaging more than 26:00 per game before sustaining a shoulder injury in late February.
    Pittsburgh needs to make an upgrade or several, and the blue line isn't a bad place to start.

However, instead of floating 21-year-old defenseman Simon Despres' name as potential trade bait, the Pens could upgrade their top-four by promoting Despres from an occasional healthy scratch to an everyday, 20:00 minute-per-game defenseman.

Despres, the Penguins' first-round pick (30th overall) in 2009, is in his first full season of NHL action in 2013. The 6'4", 215 pound defenseman has two goals, six points and a plus-eight rating in 17 games this year, averaging 13:51 TOI per game.

Despres was a touted offensive defenseman in his junior career with the Saint John Sea Dogs of the QMJHL and has put that ability on display this season (perhaps never better than in assisting on Brandon Sutter's overtime winner against the Montreal Canadiens). Surprisingly, though, he has also provided consistent, aggressive physical play in his own zone this year, answering questions about his defensive acumen.
    Given his potential and production so far, Despres has earned more minutes and more responsibility.

In his limited minutes thus far, Despres has provided stable if not stellar defensive play. His plus-eight rating leads all Penguins defensemen, and the team is 13-4 in games in which Despres is in the lineup (compared to a 2-4 record in six games without him).

Despres also has the best on-ice Corsi rating (a measure of a player's shot differential expressed over a 60-minute average) of all Penguins defensemen, and the fifth best on-ice Corsi on the team.
    While this number is massaged by his sometimes favorable match-ups, the numbers are still excellent for a rookie defender.

If Despres' numbers in his first full season aren't enough to take his name out of the trade rumor mill, his physical tools and contract status ought to do the trick.
    Despres is the one of two Penguins defensemen to stand 6'4" or taller (fellow rookie Robert Bortuzzo is the other) and his offensive production could stand second only to Kris Letang when he begins to fully touch his NHL potential.

It's for that reason that Despres has often been called a potential partner for Letang, if not the insurance policy for Letang's potential departure which prompted the initial call for Johnson.
    Where's Johnson's contract is a detriment to retaining Letang, Despres' deal is a strength both for the Penguins and for their hopes of re-signing Letang and center Evgeni Malkin. Despres has one year left on his entry-level deal at $840,000.

If the Pens believe Despres can be a long-term option, signing him to an initially friendly deal should be easy enough. Penguins GM Ray Shero has been able to lock players down to team-friendly deals as though he is able to see their future production before anyone else.

Shero signed winger James Neal to a six-year extension in the middle of the 2011-12 season, a seemingly sweet deal for a player who at the time had never cracked 30 goals in a season. Neal finished with 40 goals last year, fourth-most in the NHL, and is second in the league in goals in 2013.
    Shero's eye for talent has led to a few high-value extensions such as Neal's, and Despres has the pedigree and tools to be a player on Neal's level.

Signing Despres to a team-friendly contract, perhaps as early as this season, would mitigate the need for insuring against Letang's next contract by giving the Penguins the cap space to retain Letang in the first place.
    They might even get an elite partner to pair him with in the process.

James Conley covers the Pittsburgh Penguins for the Yahoo! Contributor Network and is a Penguins contributor at The Hockey Writers and Editor at SB Nation's Pensburgh. He owns the Pittsburgh Sports Blog Slew Footers and has attended Penguins home games with credentials.
    Posted ImagePosted Image

Roger Sterling
    vCash
    I doubt the Getzlaf deal has any effect on Malkin's contract. 8 is the longest term you can get in the new CBA, I expect Geno to do the same as Sid.

Probably something like 8yrs/70m.

Letang on the other hand, he might cost the Pens 5m/yr. Hopefully not more than that. I'd gladly do 8yrs/40m. He just had a kid and is starting his family and now moving around might not be in his best interest, this does factor in a lot.

8yrs for both would take Letang and Malkin into 34yrs old. That's still pretty damn good.

Chara is 35 and still a damn good player, so Letang could probably still be a potent defenseman. But I could see why Shero would be hesitant on giving him 8 and they settle on 5yrs/27.5m (5.5m/yr).
    Posted ImagePosted Image

Roger Sterling
    vCash
    At the half way point, the Pens have a 3.56 goals a game average and a 3.0 goals against average. That's best goals for and 24th for goals against.

A fine job Bylsma & Reirden have done.

Sit Engelland and Orpik for a game or two, play Eaton and Borts.
    Posted ImagePosted Image

Roger Sterling
    vCash
    The Penguins will be without Evgeni Malkin for 1-2 weeks because of what coach Dan Bylsma would only describe as “an upper-body injury” — almost surely the right shoulder — Sunday night after the 6-1 rout of the New York Islanders at Consol Energy Center.

Bylsma did not disclose any specifics related to the injury, but the prognosis for recovery was new. He also confirmed earlier in the day that this injury has not come with any new concussion symptoms. Malkin recently missed four games to a concussion, returning March 4.

“There is not a concern,” Bylsma said of a possible new concussion. “Just an upper-body injury.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...#ixzz2NCcSAD55
    Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
    The Penguins are on a roll these days, but one facet of their game remains a problem: Penalty killing. Coach Dan Bylsma has identified a couple of areas of concern with that unit. Perhaps the biggest problem in recent games has been an inability to win faceoffs. “We have lost a lot of faceoffs,” Bylsma said. “That has led to zone time.” Time, incidentally, is the other issue. The Penguins have always subscribed to a Bylsma adage that aggressiveness in the first 8 seconds of an opponent's power play is beneficial. “Getting clears in the first 8 seconds,” Bylsma responded when asked about the biggest problems on the penalty killing unit. “Being aggressive and getting the puck down the ice. We've failed a lot of clearing attempts, too. That leads to zone time against dangerous power plays. We've got to be better.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...#ixzz2NCclPFBt
    Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
    Posted ImagePosted Image

Roger Sterling
    vCash
    Time for Jeffrey to step up, I think he works best on that 2nd line over Sutter.

Kunitz, Crosby, Neal/Dupuis
    Bennett, Jeffrey, Neal/Dupuis
    Cooke, Sutter, Kennedy
    Glass, Vitale, Adams

I like Engo but the defense definitely looked better without him. I think Engo has been physical and a solid fighter but he's a step behind the play at times and his defensive awareness has been a little off. Eaton has been fantastic each time he's played. I'd rather Despres and Eaton stayed in.

Orpik, Martin
    Despres, Letang
    Niskanen, Eaton
    Posted ImagePosted Image

Roger Sterling
    vCash
    Who do you guys want at the draft so far?

I wouldn't mind some players with great bloodlines being on Shero's radar.

Anthony Mantha - LW
    Posted Image

HT/WT: 6'3" 200lbs
    Shot: Lefty
    NHL Relatives: Andre Pronovost (No relation to Moe Mantha)

You have to play your own game, but whom in the NHL do you watch because his game is a model for what you're trying to become?

"I am a Montreal fan but I also watch the Pittsburgh Penguins because not only do they have guys like Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, but they also have had guys like Jordan Staal [who is now with the Carolina Hurricanes]. For the more defensive part of the game, I like watching him but he also has hands and can score goals.."
    talented shooter brings an impressive package of size, speed and skill .. tall, smooth, balanced skater with very good top speed .. and gets there rapidly thanks to a deceptive acceleration burst – masked a bit due to efficient mechanics .. solid crossover form – body retains shape in turns, cuts, pivots .. able to get outside defenders propelled by a swift change of pace .. bit of a ‘lurk in the weeds’ type – prowling on the edges – with a knack of popping up in a prime shooting area .. boasts a deceptively fast release on his wristshots and snappers, accentuated by a large wingspan .. retains his strength and skill at full stretch .. packs a terrific release – gets real wang on his wrister – all arms, wrists and technique .. real fluid mechanics .. setup footwork for his shot is subtle – uses quick, short strides to get body prepared quicker .. adept firing off his inside foot a la Mark Messier .. disguises intentions well – doesn’t telegraph if he’s readying for a shot or a deke .. quite adept at selling the shot and then making a no-look pass .. shows imagination as a playmaker which adds to his unpredictability .. poised and creative in-tight 1-on-1 on a goalie .. tends to operate at his own pace .. will need continued work on tempo, learning to assess options and make decisions quicker .. will also require a more complete game at the next level – doesn’t bring much energy or resolve in the defensive zone yet .. goes flat in defending sequences – relying on getting long stick and reach in lanes .. floats high in the zone, observing the cycle action – and can leak out prematurely .. does exhibit spots of physical play – frame is large and sturdy – and can create initial operating space when he applies himself – will engage contact on shoulder-to-shoulder bouts to win possession .. demonstrates good strength and power potential .. can be more tenacious, compete harder, get nastier at times .. doesn’t use his size away from the puck consistently – just sporadically .. also tends to lose steam once plays fizzle – won’t sustain compete level after being dispossessed.
    http://www.mckeenshockey.com/draft-b...oring-respect/
    Posted ImagePosted Image

Roger Sterling
    vCash
    Posted Image
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Gretzky
    "But in my mind, I don't think there's any question Sidney Crosby is the best all-around player in the game. His hockey sense is so strong and so solid, combined with his God-gifted talent of being able to see the ice, see the entire picture in front of him. And, most importantly, I don't care how good you are, if you don't have a work ethic, it doesn't matter. There's no question that each and every game, he's one of the hardest-working guys on the ice. In my mind, he's the best player in the game today."
    "For him to be able to get through all that and have the wherewithal to still have the capacity he plays with, that's impressive," Gretzky said. "And the thing about him -- he plays in all the dirty areas. He's never hesitant to go to the boards, go to the corners or go to the front of the net. As good as he is and as much finesse as he has, he's somewhat of a grinder, too, like a Messier- or a Bobby Clarke-style in the sense that he'll go anywhere to get the job done. That's what Sidney does. In my opinion, he leaps above anybody else, and there's some great players in the game today."

And that's just it, isn't it? Despite the concussion scare, Crosby still goes to the net hard.
    http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/90...t-player-world
    Posted ImagePosted Image

Roger Sterling
    vCash
    So no Malkin for 1-2 weeks, we'll be without him against the Bruins, Rangers and Leafs this week and maybe the Bruins next week and the Caps. Hopefully he's back for the Isles game though, get a chance to just brutalize them with Sid.
    Posted ImagePosted Image

Roger Sterling
    vCash

Katie looks old.
    Posted ImagePosted Image

Roger Sterling
    vCash
    So updated record with and without Despres.

15-4 - With Despres.
    4-4 - Without Despres.

Roger Sterling
    vCash
    Nick Johnson is on waivers, I'd claim him if I am Shero. He'd be a good depth guy on the 4th line over Adams or even Glass for some games and an option over TK, so we can finally bench his ass for a few games. It always sucked how he never got a proper shot but he's a guy that has a good shot and can play the Pens system.

Roger Sterling
    vCash
    Phoenix Coyotes General Manager Don Maloney announced today that the Coyotes have signed defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson to a six-year contract. As per club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
    http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=660455

EDIT: per Dreger, $5.5 million AAV
    Ok so this one definitely impacts Letang's future contract. We're looking at 6m/yr.
    Posted ImagePosted Image

thejew09
    vCash
    I guessing Letang gets 6.25 or 6.5 per year. Maybe 6.0, but nothing less than that. I just hope he's locked up for 8 years with whatever deal he gets
    "Fuckin Right!" - Mark Recchi

Roger Sterling
    vCash
    So the Class of 2013 Free Agents just got really shitty.
    • Brad Boyes - 24pts in 28gms
    • Damien Brunner - 20pts in 29gms
    • Nathan Horton - 16pts in 27gms
    • David Clarkson - 19pts in 29gms
    • Alex Semin - 29pts in 27gms
    • Viktor Stalberg - 16pts in 28gms
    • Clarke MacArthur - 15pts in 26gms
    • Brenden Morrow - 11pts in 25gms
    • Mason Raymond - 14pts in 27gms
    • Jarome Iginla - 19pts in 26gms
    • Jaromir Jagr - 18pts in 26gms

Boyes might just end up re-signing with the Islanders but he wouldn't be a bad option, he's having a rebound year. I would still love to get Stalberg on this team, for Malkin's line. Dude is huge, skates insanely well for a guy his build and has a good scoring touch. If anything, he would also look amazing with Sutter.

Outside of that, I think Brunner stays with Detroit, but Morrow might come to the Pens for a cheap 1-2yr deal, he's the same age as Kunitz, but a more productive career and a higher ceiling for what he can put up with his resume.

I would let Cooke and Adams walk and trade Glass and Kennedy in the summer to add both of those guys, then retain Dupuis.

Kunitz, Crosby, Bennett
    Morrow, Malkin, Neal
    Stalberg, Sutter, Dupuis
    Jeffrey, Vitale, *UFA*

Hell that 4th line UFA could be Colby Armstrong, at this point I am sure he'd take a good 1yr deal to come back to the Pens and be a vital part of the bottom 6.

I think Jarome ends up re-signing with the Flames, I would love to get him to the Pens, I'd take him over Iginla any day and go with a line-up like below but he'd have to take a big pay cut (4-4.5m/yr for 2-3yrs).

Kunitz, Crosby, Iginla
    Bennett, Malkin, Neal
    Stalberg, Sutter, Dupuis
    Posted ImagePosted Image

Gordon Shumway
    Eats Cats, Gives Zero Fucks Gordon Shumway's Avatar
    vCash

Doug Murray for 2 draft picks

Love this pick up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast