+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oilers 2012-13 Discussion

Germz
    vCash

Oilers 2012-13 Discussion

So ... this sucks, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by senate View Post
    As goes the Canadian Senate, so go the Ottawa Senators.

Germz
    vCash
    THEY STARTED STRONG LAST YEAR AND FELL APART

THIS YEAR THEY WILL START WEAK AND THEN JELL TOGETHER IN TIME TO OH SHIT ITS A COMPRESSED SCHEDULE FUCK

Cao
    vCash
    Despite the fact that we've heard the same "Oilers are gonna be super good because of young talent" argument for the last 5 years, this seems like a perfect season for it to all come to fruition given that they've added Yakupov and Schultz. If anything, I think a healthy Hall will have a coming out party as a star. The only issue is defense. Fistric is a smaller Andy Sutton. Tambellini pretty much sat on his ass doing nothing about the AHL-caliber defense. Dubnyk is good, but might not be good enough playing behind Theo Peckham and Corey Potter, two garbage defensemen who shouldn't be in the NHL.

Roger Sterling
    Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce Roger Sterling's Avatar
    vCash
    Fistric is a less retarded, smaller version, of Andy Sutton.

Dubnyk isn't half bad this season, the Oilers are 2-1 so far, that's not half bad. Still super early, but a hot streak right now could = the playoffs given this shortened season.

That new "ROW" addition by TSN is weird.
    “When God closes a door, he opens a dress.”
    Posted ImagePosted Image

Silverwear
    Wear this to ride Silver Silverwear's Avatar
    vCash
    This is still a bad fucking team, but the faggoty refs running around giving head to the opposition makes it even less desirable to watch than years past.

Germz
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cao View Post
    Despite the fact that we've heard the same "Oilers are gonna be super good because of young talent" argument for the last 5 years, this seems like a perfect season for it to all come to fruition given that they've added Yakupov and Schultz. If anything, I think a healthy Hall will have a coming out party as a star. The only issue is defense. Fistric is a smaller Andy Sutton. Tambellini pretty much sat on his ass doing nothing about the AHL-caliber defense. Dubnyk is good, but might not be good enough playing behind Theo Peckham and Corey Potter, two garbage defensemen who shouldn't be in the NHL.
    I'm really not a big fan of Hall. I'd have probably moved him for defensive help by now. It would be cool to see him prove me wrong. I usually end up being wrong.

I think they will move up the standings this year, but I still don't see a playoff club. Still, you never know with these young guys.

Potter is garbage. He makes Gilbert look good.

Cao
    vCash
    The reason why I'm more convinced about Hall is the fact that he scored at a similar goals per game rate as Eberle, yet did not put up a ridiculously unsustainable shooting percentage (last year, Eberle's was 18.9%, while Hall's was 13.0%). At the worst, I think he'll be a decent 30-40 goal scorer. Eberle's a bit more unpredictable (I still think he'll be a 1b player) but has that "clutch" aura surrounding him so he might always overshadow Hall.

Silverwear
    vCash
    The whole unsustainable shooting percentage bullshit has followed Eberle around and he keeps it up in every league he plays in. He's just plain smart, and Hall, as good as he is, doesn't quite have those intangibles.

Cao
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverwear View Post
    The whole unsustainable shooting percentage bullshit has followed Eberle around and he keeps it up in every league he plays in. He's just plain smart, and Hall, as good as he is, doesn't quite have those intangibles.
    this isn't exclusive to jordan eberle. the same thing was said about jiri hudler and his 20 something goal season last year. the same thing is said every year about a player with ridiculously high shooting percentages. ask yourself: is jordan eberle without a doubt the best shooter in the NHL?

i don't doubt that eberle's a good player, i just think hall's going to turn out better.

Silverwear
    vCash
    I suppose it's pretty much a given that his (Eberle) percentage has to go down at some point, it really should have already, he really doesn't have a wide array of shots, but the few moves he does have fool goaltenders on a routine basis. He's very economical with his shots though, this seems to be his unique ability. If he were pounding out 8 shots a night his fluctuation would no doubt be up and down like a new brides panties. Hall on the other hand will shoot from low percentage places, some will go in, most won't but he hasn't really honed any particular skill set, and it's unlikely he ever will.
    That being said the kid does have a drive to win. So it's a particular skill set vs. drive to win.

Too tough for me to call, but you could be right, guess we'll just have to wait and see. If you have examples of players that are similar and one has profoundly succeeded, it'd be more interesting, but offhand I'm hard pressed to come up with any.

Cao
    vCash
    I suppose it's pretty much a given that his (Eberle) percentage has to go down at some point, it really should have already, he really doesn't have a wide array of shots, but the few moves he does have fool goaltenders on a routine basis. He's very economical with his shots though, this seems to be his unique ability. If he were pounding out 8 shots a night his fluctuation would no doubt be up and down like a new brides panties. Hall on the other hand will shoot from low percentage places, some will go in, most won't but he hasn't really honed any particular skill set, and it's unlikely he ever will.
    That being said the kid does have a drive to win. So it's a particular skill set vs. drive to win.

Too tough for me to call, but you could be right, guess we'll just have to wait and see. If you have examples of players that are similar and one has profoundly succeeded, it'd be more interesting, but offhand I'm hard pressed to come up with any.
    Well I'm sure there's a long list of superstars who have had the exact same shooting percentage bump, and that's exactly what it is: a bump. Good players can benefit from it as much as bad players. It's a matter of averages, and when you dig a little deeper into Eberle's 2011-12 season then a lot of things point towards luck. Steve Stamkos, by the way, put up a high shooting percentage in his second season and kept it high.

Silverwear
    vCash
    And the faggoty Canucks blow the refs and get a win. When will the refs learn that we don't wanna watch them fight over who's gonna suck the Sedins balls at center ice.

Silverwear
    vCash
    I swear to Christ these fucking refs are pure faggots who like showboating in front of the oil faithful. The only team in the NHL who never gets hometown bias.

Cao
    vCash
    , he said, as Edmonton has 3 powerplays in the 3rd period to Dallas' none.

Silverwear
    vCash
    I have to unjinx the the jinx, 'tis the only way to go.

Silverwear
    vCash
    It's fucking incredible how much the refs invent calls to fuck over this team. Calgary goes into Detroit and the refs suck their dick adneauseum, Oilers go into there and get bent over with creative new calls. I gotta say this shit is fixed. Colorado is the only team I've seen where they they call less penalties against the opposition. There's no real point in watching this shit as it's all pre- determined. Getting railroaded into another high draft pick is so fucked up, but thank you refs you've done it again. I can't wait until the flames start getting pure real calls to drive them where they really belong and Feaster can start gobbling his words along with the opposition-mouth- cock-filled refs.

Silverwear
    vCash
    Aaand of course some fucking 5'8" Conacher twat who no one has ever heard of, and wasn't drafted would be be running away with the Calder, what the fuck else is new.

Roger Sterling
    vCash
    I expected more out of Yakupov's game after the way Dr Chimera talked about him, but I don't know...I see shades of Zherdev.

Conacher is actually a pretty solid player for a midget, I can't believe he was undrafted and the Preds had a shot to sign the kid but didn't (he played for their affiliate, had 5pts in 5gms the year before he joined the Bolts farm team). He took 3 huge hits from Letang and kept bouncing back up and still kept buzzing around the net and getting to the gritty areas to score goals, something Yakupov could try doing.

I'd say it's between Conacher, Huberdeau and Galchenyuk.
    Posted ImagePosted Image

Silverwear
    vCash
    It's not really about Yakupov or his competition. It's about the whole injustice of the shit award itself. Gretzky never won because he was considered a pro the year before he joined,the retard NHL sees nothing wrong with that, then Makarov a fucking 31 year old rookie "non-pro" wins it, then they realize " oh, fuck we just screwed an American rookie Modano out of the title" suddenly the NHL changes the rules. This last season it gets awarded to Landeskog because of unprovable intangibles, which is odd because usually it's a stats game until it comes to an oiler. The award is shit, but just once I'd like to see an oiler get it, but fuck it some fucking nobody will win it and the moron sports writters will get behind it and do like zero research and just go with the fucking flow like they always do, and some fucktard who we'll never see again will win it.

Roger Sterling
    vCash
    It's not really about Yakupov or his competition. It's about the whole injustice of the shit award itself. Gretzky never won because he was considered a pro the year before he joined,the retard NHL sees nothing wrong with that, then Makarov a fucking 31 year old rookie "non-pro" wins it, then they realize " oh, fuck we just screwed an American rookie Modano out of the title" suddenly the NHL changes the rules. This last season it gets awarded to Landeskog because of unprovable intangibles, which is odd because usually it's a stats game until it comes to an oiler. The award is shit, but just once I'd like to see an oiler get it, but fuck it some fucking nobody will win it and the moron sports writters will get behind it and do like zero research and just go with the fucking flow like they always do, and some fucktard who we'll never see again will win it.
    There are 3 awards that are shit to me in the NHL - Calder, Norris, and Selke.

It's all about points, not so much about being overall best at whatever. Either they learn to split it up or let it be a joke. IF you have the Richard and Art Ross for forwards, why not for the defensemen? Name it the Orr or some other shit for the defense equivalent for the Art Ross, then let the Norris be for best overall defenseman.

As for the Calder, not sure, there are defensemen that take a regular shift and don't look out of place and their value to the team is shown in the standings and not always on the scoresheet, they don't get the credit they deserve, but a guy that scores a few on the man advantage or because he plays with one of the league's best gets pumped as some awesome rookie, etc.

I never really cared about individual awards from when I was a kid when some lazy fuck on my atom league team got an award just for participating, I never showed up when I won anything for Bantam or Midget because of that, I'd rather be ecstatic about the Cup than the stupid individual awards.

I mean hey, Andrew Raycroft won the Calder.

...Andrew Raycroft.

Whatever the guidelines are for individual awards (some of them), they're either voted on by fucktards or people aren't on the same page for what is valued for each category.
    Posted ImagePosted Image

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast