The Catastrophe of Team USA and Why Canada is Much Better

jester
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 10 times
Received rep: 109 times

Post #51 by jester » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:30 pm

There are some figures that would be interesting to know. Specifically, retention rates. Lets say you have a stellar athlete in the US that grows up like a "normal" kid whose parents toss him into sports leagues. So, he spends time playing hockey, but also soccer, baseball, basketball, etc. What's the retention rate of that athlete in the US v. Canada? I'm going to guess near 100% in Canada, whereas in the US there's a decent chance he might be peeled off by football, baseball, etc. when it comes time to start concentrating, accepting NCAA scholarships, getting drafted, etc.

The other point of note is that hockey in the US is pushing ever further south. A guy like JVR does not get produced 20 years ago in New Jersey... and he's just the start. I know less about northern Jersey, but the Flyers have done a lot to develop the hockey infrastructure in the greater Philadelphia area. You have a lot of options for the gateway drug of roller (much cheaper option for little kids to test out), and then a lot more ice rinks that devote a good bit of time to hockey--including numerous Flyers SkateZones. I don't think Philly is alone on this front, and I fully expect you to see a larger footprint of non-border states with US national teams going forward. In the Philly area, though, we are just at the forefront of these programs beginning to produce players at any regularity, but in the last decade your starting to see D-I NCAA players, draft picks, etc. occurring with greater frequency (JVR's little brother was at Flyers camp last summer).
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 387 times
Received rep: 191 times

Post #52 by mayoradamwest » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:30 am

AD wrote:B-man, will ya take a look at these old timers droning on and on about the glory of their lost hockey youth.
Boy I tell ya. Shameful.

Pick up a stick and go to your local ice boys. Thats an order.

I'm at twice a week now. Tis fun.
Ricard_Persson
Has given rep: 70 times
Received rep: 94 times

Post #53 by Ricard_Persson » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:58 am

Took this pic last night when I got home. I think it sums things up pretty good out on the Canadian lakes and rivers.

mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 387 times
Received rep: 191 times

Post #54 by mayoradamwest » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:19 am

that's rather beautiful.
Twitter bArt
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 280 times
Received rep: 467 times

Post #55 by Twitter bArt » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:09 pm

beautiful picture...and it does speak volumes.

besides all the other choices kids are making (video games, other sports etc etc), i find they just don't play outside much anymore.
:mkbét::lr: :lr:

OOOH yeah life goes on, long after the thrill of Vinny is gone

It's too bad all the people that could really run the Habs are busy doing talk radio, writing blogs or posting on message boards.

Now, Lajoie is an imbecile, a cretin and a plagiarist, who to use author Dany Laferrière's deliciously withering expression, "lives beyond his intellectual means."

...as serious as a poutine shortage in Chicoutimi during a curling bonspiel...

Haddock wrote:I wouldn't know anything about that. I gave my soul up when I swore allegiance to the goddamn queen.

:lr: :lr: :lr:
Ricard_Persson
Has given rep: 70 times
Received rep: 94 times

Post #56 by Ricard_Persson » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:48 am

Still a couple feet of ice on the lakes. Very hard winter.
PredsFan77
Has given rep: 141 times
Received rep: 414 times

Post #57 by PredsFan77 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:59 am

Sorry boys, already been on the golf course a few times this month. No wonder Canada is better than us at ice hockey. But Steve Ames and Mike Weir are shit golfers. So take that.
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]

Return to “Olympics, World Juniors, World Championships, Egon Spengler Cup”