Josh Ho-Sang calls out Hockey Canada again: ‘They can’t invite me … because they’re afraid'

Rick Middleton
Registered Broad

Josh Ho-Sang calls out Hockey Canada again: ‘They can’t invite me … because they’re afraid'

Post #1 by Rick Middleton » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:52 pm

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/josh-ho-sang-calls-hockey-canada-again-t-143256383.html

Windsor Spitfires star Josh Ho-Sang became an instant anti-hero before the NHL draft, touching off a kerfuffle with his criticisms of how he believed he was being judged by scouts and by Hockey Canada. The 18-year-old hardly distanced himself from those remarks after the New York Islanders stepped up to select him late in the first round. Diehard Islanders fans, who surely know from feeling prejudged, have embraced their organization adding a polarizing prospect.

Meantime, Hockey Canada once again declined to include Ho-Sang in its summer development camp. He was sixth in points among underage players (those 17 or younger at the start of the 2013-14 season) in the Ontario Hockey League despite arguably being surrounded by less premium talent than the other five. All five, each of whom arguably had more premium talent around him on his OHL team than Ho-Sang did, were in Canada's camp earlier this month.

It would be easy for Ho-Sang to say this is all in the past. Instead, he doubled down, calling it "insulting" that he wasn't invited. Neither Ho-Sang nor Hockey Canada will say what off-ice factors might play into this, which means the controversy should continue to simmer

"The fact that I haven't been invited to a camp, it's insulting," Ho-Sang said frankly. "I've done nothing to them (Hockey Canada). It's not like they invited me to U17 and U18 and I messed up at all that stuff. I haven't been invited back since my first year in the OHL in December [for the world under-17 challenge — Ed.]. It's been a year and a half; I haven't been a part of any Hockey Canada stuff."

Legitimate gripe or whiny kid? I'm leaning towards the latter.
Atlantic Canada's culture of defeat will be hard to overcome as long as Atlantic Canada is actually physically trailing the rest of the country - Stephen Harper
CharlieGirl
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 6 times

Post #2 by CharlieGirl » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:01 pm

One dimensional, me-first player with entitlement issues. I can't understand why Hockey Canada doesn't want him around.
[SIZE="1"]GO catch a shark or something eat a turtle. - Kaktus[/size]

"There are no heroic tales without heroic tails". Fred Shero.
Shawnathan Horcoff
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 408 times
Received rep: 549 times

Post #3 by Shawnathan Horcoff » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:08 pm

If I were this kid I'd be delighted that Mong Canada figures I don't fit the mold of their 5-time loser squad.
Rick Middleton
Registered Broad

Post #4 by Rick Middleton » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:41 am

Hockey Canada's record of late has been less than stellar, but I support them in not inviting him to their camp. He's shown that he's a distraction and continues to be one. You'd think his agent or someone close to him would tell him to keep his big mouth shut and just play the game.
Atlantic Canada's culture of defeat will be hard to overcome as long as Atlantic Canada is actually physically trailing the rest of the country - Stephen Harper
mcphee
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 119 times
Received rep: 278 times

Post #5 by mcphee » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:11 am

Rick Middleton wrote:Hockey Canada's record of late has been less than stellar, but I support them in not inviting him to their camp. He's shown that he's a distraction and continues to be one. You'd think his agent or someone close to him would tell him to keep his big mouth shut and just play the game.

Who was that kid that spiraled down a few years back, Kabanov ? I was curious about the 'well he has the talent, he just needs to get his head on straight' talk we always hear. Being good at a skills comp doesn't make you a good player. Has he been a dominant player in the CHL or just shown some flashy moves ?
CharlieGirl
Registered Broad

Post #6 by CharlieGirl » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:02 am

mcphee wrote:Who was that kid that spiraled down a few years back, Kabanov ? I was curious about the 'well he has the talent, he just needs to get his head on straight' talk we always hear. Being good at a skills comp doesn't make you a good player. Has he been a dominant player in the CHL or just shown some flashy moves ?

All kinds of flash and he's fun to watch when he has the puck on his stick. I wouldn't say he's been dominant, although he has the skill to do so. What he doesn't have is the willingness (or ability?) to use linemates or acknowledge that they're there. You absolutely notice him when he has the puck, but you don't the rest of the time.

mcphee
Registered Broad

Post #7 by mcphee » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:14 am

CharlieGirl wrote:All kinds of flash and he's fun to watch when he has the puck on his stick. I wouldn't say he's been dominant, although he has the skill to do so. What he doesn't have is the willingness (or ability?) to use linemates or acknowledge that they're there. You absolutely notice him when he has the puck, but you don't the rest of the time.

Then I guess his point about development is off base. At the national team level, they cultivate the players most likely to form a successful team. If he hasn't developed his game to the point where he meshes well with team mates on ice, he shouldn't be a candidate unless the skill level is jaw dropping and enough to compensate for short comings.

Over the years, players who get passed over have a way of forcing their way onto teams if they merit it
CharlieGirl
Registered Broad

Post #8 by CharlieGirl » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:10 pm

If he'd said he was disappointed in not being invited and that he'd play so well that they couldn't leave him off the December roster, his comments would have sounded like a determined kid you'd want to pull for. He chose to go the other way.

He had a chance with the U17's to show Hockey Canada what kind of player he can be. He did, and they're not eager to have him back.

Balki Bartokomous
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 51 times
Received rep: 505 times

Post #9 by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:04 pm

He'll make Team Canada in December.

We goin' to the dance, people!!!!
CharlieGirl
Registered Broad

Post #10 by CharlieGirl » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:55 pm

Cakes wrote:He'll make Team Canada in December.

He's going to have to figure out a lot of crap between now and then. And learn to play for the crest on the front.

Balki Bartokomous
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 51 times
Received rep: 505 times

Post #11 by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:51 pm

when he has 60 points at that point they can't keep him out.

We goin' to the dance, people!!!!
CharlieGirl
Registered Broad

Post #12 by CharlieGirl » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:41 pm

Cakes wrote:when he has 60 points at that point they can't keep him out.

Sure they can. And have.

mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 238 times
Received rep: 130 times

Post #13 by mayoradamwest » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:51 pm

mcphee wrote:Then I guess his point about development is off base. At the national team level, they cultivate the players most likely to form a successful team. If he hasn't developed his game to the point where he meshes well with team mates on ice, he shouldn't be a candidate unless the skill level is jaw dropping and enough to compensate for short comings.

Over the years, players who get passed over have a way of forcing their way onto teams if they merit it

It seems they're message about development is slightly misconstrued. They are about player development and do that by helping make sure programs are top notch, coaches are trained, refs and facilities are top not... They're also about developing top level teams though, and I think the kid missed that. Hockey Canada has helped him develop as a player whether he likes it or not. If you have played hockey in this country, you've been helped.

That doesn't meant though that they aren't doing their job if they leave someone talented off. My only concern is if they decide to bring a fourth line scrub who is out of his league instead.... Not sure this makes sense, the thought was clear in my head and looking at this post I ended up going the convoluted route.... Oops.
Shawnathan Horcoff
Registered Broad

Post #14 by Shawnathan Horcoff » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:31 pm

I don't know anything about the kid I just hope he finds his way to some success with Brooklyn's Islanders. We need more players that wear their asshole on their sleeve all season not just at home on summer patios or golf courses.
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 228 times
Received rep: 408 times

Post #15 by clawfirst » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:34 pm

He'll get dual citizenship and be another US Olympian carrying Hulls torch
mcphee
Registered Broad

Post #16 by mcphee » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:48 pm

mayoradamwest wrote:It seems they're message about development is slightly misconstrued. They are about player development and do that by helping make sure programs are top notch, coaches are trained, refs and facilities are top not... They're also about developing top level teams though, and I think the kid missed that. Hockey Canada has helped him develop as a player whether he likes it or not. If you have played hockey in this country, you've been helped.

That doesn't meant though that they aren't doing their job if they leave someone talented off. My only concern is if they decide to bring a fourth line scrub who is out of his league instead.... Not sure this makes sense, the thought was clear in my head and looking at this post I ended up going the convoluted route.... Oops.

We seem to be falling or the idea of the player rather than the player, a concept I believe that Artie invented. You want to make a point that Team Canada is overly fond of the system rather than the player, you point out Ho Sang's talent when really, how many expressing opinions will have seen him. Otoh, we'd dismiss Bob Gainey as a stereotypical Sutter type checker
cawbber
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 178 times
Received rep: 137 times

Post #17 by cawbber » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:49 am

clawfirst wrote:He'll get dual citizenship and be another US Olympian carrying Hulls torch

Speaking of Hull, he just did it again, 50 birthdays in 50 years!

What a legend.
CharlieGirl
Registered Broad

Post #18 by CharlieGirl » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:16 pm

cob wrote:Speaking of Hull, he just did it again, 50 birthdays in 50 years!

What a legend.

And scarfed down at least 2 birthday cakes every year! It doesn't get much bigger.

zamboner
Registered Broad
Received rep: 5 times

Post #19 by zamboner » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:34 pm

Will Jonathan Ho-Sang become the best Asian player since Lee Stempniak?
Rick Middleton
Registered Broad

Post #20 by Rick Middleton » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:07 am

Two-time Stanley Cup Champion Jim Paek is the greatest Asian hockey player of all-time. Josh Ho-Sang will be lucky to have half his career.
PPJ
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 75 times
Received rep: 109 times

Post #21 by PPJ » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:28 am

Best Asian Born player ever is Rod Langway.

Best Asian is Paul Kariya.

:heretoteach:
Rick Middleton
Registered Broad

Post #22 by Rick Middleton » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:47 am

Kariya = 0 Stanley Cups
Paek = 2 Stanley Cups

Paek > Kariya
mcphee
Registered Broad

Post #23 by mcphee » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:45 am

Rick Middleton wrote:Kariya = 0 Stanley Cups
Paek = 2 Stanley Cups

Paek > Kariya

Thing I loved best about Paek was how no one was ever sure that they were saying his name correctly.
Shawnathan Horcoff
Registered Broad

Post #24 by Shawnathan Horcoff » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:14 pm

This coloured fella on the Rangers of New York allegedly had attitude issues some time ago.

Proof that this Ho Sang character will eventually dominate the National Hockey League.
VLoo
Has given rep: 65 times
Received rep: 82 times

Post #25 by VLoo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:26 pm

dong perimong wrote:This coloured fella on the Rangers of New York allegedly had attitude issues some time ago.

Proof that this Ho Sang character will eventually dominate the National Hockey League.

Iginla plays for the Avs, _dong.
PredsFan77 wrote:Vloo: I forgot to include him in my top ten, but I would encourage him to sleep with any of my exes so that we could say our penises have been in the same space. I'd like that.
Rogers Pancreas
Has given rep: 32 times
Received rep: 81 times

Post #26 by Rogers Pancreas » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:41 pm

I think he was talking about Anson Carter. Or possibly Donald Brashear.
His Satanic Majestic Request
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #27 by mayoradamwest » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:15 pm

He done got traded.
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 75 times
Received rep: 224 times

Post #28 by Dr_Chimera » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:16 am

Rick Middleton wrote:Legitimate gripe or whiny kid? I'm leaning towards the latter.

He'll be in jail in 10 years.
CharlieGirl
Registered Broad

Post #29 by CharlieGirl » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:56 am

Waiting patiently for the next Ho-Sang outburst after not being invited to the December selection camp.

Must be a racial bias...

CharlieGirl
Registered Broad

Post #30 by CharlieGirl » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:36 pm

I don't even know what that says.

chicpea
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 484 times
Received rep: 229 times

Post #31 by chicpea » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:12 pm

Impressed he knows the difference between effect and affect.
According to local lore, Christ didn't commit any miracles while residing in Japan, but instead was just an extremely pleasant fellow to be around.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #32 by mayoradamwest » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:00 pm

Lord Chezz wrote:He's taking the filosofer's route

@66jhosang: Don't sweat the small stuff that bugs u or the emotional stress some may cause. the ones who can not think beyond themselves can not affect u

I believe I found where the period should go.

Return to “Olympics, World Juniors, World Championships, Egon Spengler Cup”