Has given rep: 145 times
Received rep: 272 times

Post #51 by MP » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:29 pm

mooseOAK wrote:Looks like we have enough options for a pole:

Plane was hijacked and taken on alternate route and landed
Plane was hijacked and taken on alternate route and crashed
Plane was taken over by pilots and taken on alternate route and landed
Plane was taken over by pilots and taken on alternate route and crashed
Everyone on the plane died and plane flew randomly until it crashed.

Think that covers it plus whatever other charmingly irreverent options that could be added.

The plane is still flying after landing to refuel. :crossarms:
senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 251 times
Received rep: 217 times

Post #52 by senate » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:49 pm

mooseOAK wrote:Looks like we have enough options for a pole:

Plane was hijacked and taken on alternate route and landed
Plane was hijacked and taken on alternate route and crashed
Plane was taken over by pilots and taken on alternate route and landed
Plane was taken over by pilots and taken on alternate route and crashed
Everyone on the plane died and plane flew randomly until it crashed.

Plane achieved sentience, flew off into the isolation of the Indian Ocean to contemplate not only its existence but all existence, and then committed suicide in a fit of existential angst.
Pennywise
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 184 times
Received rep: 22 times

Post #53 by Pennywise » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:50 pm

Missing Malaysia Airlines jet: 'We wish we had an opportunity to hijack such a plane,' says Pakistani Taliban commander

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/missing-malaysia-airlines-jet-we-wish-we-had-an-opportunity-to-hijack-such-a-plane-says-pakistani-taliban-commander-20140318-hvjvp.html#ixzz2wFdwUOVI

I don't get why they would publish that. These animals should be given no attention.
Balki Bartokomous
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 34 times
Received rep: 301 times

Post #54 by Balki Bartokomous » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:58 pm

That one makes the most sense. Malaysian government also still involved with it. In what capacity and why, that we don't know.
Cao
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1 time
Received rep: 3 times

Post #55 by Cao » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:24 pm

i really, really hope this theory is true. maybe that's why the older pilot had that flight simulator! so he could practice that.
PredsFan77
Has given rep: 106 times
Received rep: 227 times

Post #56 by PredsFan77 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:09 pm

that'd be interesting. I wonder about the wake turbulence of flying that closely.
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Pennywise
Registered Broad

Post #57 by Pennywise » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:01 pm

Pennywise
Registered Broad

Post #58 by Pennywise » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:05 pm

PETALING JAYA:

US authorities increasingly suspect that the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 was part of a suicide plot by a crew member, one of Congress’ top terrorism experts said.

“There is a growing consensus that this was a suicide by the pilot or co-pilot and that they wanted to get as far away and land in the farthest and deepest part of the ocean,” said Rep. Pete King, chair of the House Homeland Security Subcommittee on Counterterrorism and Intelligence, the New York Post reported today.
King said the scheme might have hinged on the hope that family members could still collect life insurance on the dead pilot or co-pilot.
“If they never find the plane, they can’t call it suicide,” he said.

King said American authorities don’t believe the Beijing-bound airliner, which was carrying 227 passengers and 12 crew members, flew north toward Asia after veering off course over the Gulf of Thailand.
Instead, they suspect it headed south toward the Indian Ocean, which holds some of the deepest spots of any ocean.

“This is still a mystery, but if there is any consensus now, it’s that it was a suicide by the pilot or co-pilot and he wanted to go as far as he could into the Indian Ocean,” King said.
The suicide scenario “makes the most sense,” he added.

King expressed doubt that the pilot and co-pilot were both in on the plan, adding, “One or the other would have to kill or somehow silence the other.”
The plane’s sharp climb to 45,000 feet, as recorded by Malaysian military radar, would probably have “incapacitated” everyone outside the cockpit by rapidly reducing oxygen levels in the cabin, King said.

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2014/03/17/crew-members-suicide-mission-say-experts/
Artie
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 142 times
Received rep: 213 times

Post #59 by Artie » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:32 pm

Computer Sent Missing Plane Off Flight Path

WASHINGTON — The first turn to the west that diverted the missing Malaysia Airlines plane from its planned flight path from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing was carried out through a computer system that was most likely programmed by someone in the plane’s cockpit who was knowledgeable about airplane systems, according to senior American officials.

Instead of manually operating the plane’s controls, whoever altered Flight 370’s path typed seven or eight keystrokes into a computer on a knee-high pedestal between the captain and the first officer, according to officials. The Flight Management System, as the computer is known, directs the plane from point to point specified in the flight plan submitted before each flight. It is not clear whether the plane’s path was reprogrammed before or after it took off.

The fact that the turn away from Beijing was programmed into the computer has reinforced the belief of investigators — first voiced by Malaysian officials — that the plane was deliberately diverted and that foul play was involved. It has also increased their focus on the plane’s captain and first officer.

According to investigators, it appears that a waypoint was added to the planned route. Pilots do that in the ordinary course of flying if air traffic controllers tell them to take a different route, to avoid weather or traffic. But in this case, the waypoint was far off the path to Beijing.

Whoever changed the plane’s course would have had to be familiar with Boeing aircraft, though not necessarily the 777 — the type of plane that disappeared. American officials and aviation experts said it was far-fetched to believe that a passenger could have reprogrammed the Flight Management System.

Normal procedure is to key in a five-letter code — gibberish to non-aviators — that is the name of a waypoint. A normal flight plan consists of a series of such waypoints, ending in the destination airport. For an ordinary flight, waypoints can be entered manually or uploaded into the F.M.S. by the airline.

One American safety expert, John Cox, a former airline union safety official, said that someone taking such pains to divert the plane does not fit the pattern of past cases when pilots intentionally crashed and killed everyone on board.

“There’s an inconsistency in what we’ve seen historically,” he said, comparing the disappearance of Flight 370 with two murder-suicides, of an Egyptair flight off Nantucket Island in 1999 and a SilkAir jet in Indonesia in 1997. In those crashes, he said, the pilot involved simply pushed the nose of the plane down and flew into the water.
:mkbét::lr: :lr:

OOOH yeah life goes on, long after the thrill of Vinny is gone

It's too bad all the people that could really run the Habs are busy doing talk radio, writing blogs or posting on message boards.

Now, Lajoie is an imbecile, a cretin and a plagiarist, who to use author Dany Laferrière's deliciously withering expression, "lives beyond his intellectual means."

...as serious as a poutine shortage in Chicoutimi during a curling bonspiel...

Haddock wrote:I wouldn't know anything about that. I gave my soul up when I swore allegiance to the goddamn queen.

:lr: :lr: :lr:
senate
Registered Broad

Post #60 by senate » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:23 pm

AD
Has given rep: 322 times
Received rep: 394 times

Post #61 by AD » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:37 am

senate wrote:Plane achieved sentience, flew off into the isolation of the Indian Ocean to contemplate not only its existence but all existence, and then committed suicide in a fit of existential angst.

As if suicide was the end of existence. Lol@senate
Pennywise
Registered Broad

Post #62 by Pennywise » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:25 am

Thomas Malthus wrote:We should be expecting the plane to land in Edmonton soon.

Not willingly. I'd tell the pilot to keep going.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #63 by senate » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:36 pm

AD wrote:As if suicide was the end of existence. Lol@senate

Avionic software doesn't share your people's belief about the 72 virgins.
PredsFan77

Post #64 by PredsFan77 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:43 pm

[RIGHT][YOUTUBE]xcyuKUtgyZ8[/YOUTUBE]

[SIZE="7"]Ground Control to Major Tom
Ground Control to Major Tom
Take your protein pills
and put your helmet on

Commencing countdown,
engines on
Check ignition
and may God's love be with you

[spoken]
Ten, Nine, Eight, Seven, Six, Five, Four, Three, Two, One, Liftoff

This is Ground Control
to Major Tom
You've really made the grade
And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
Now it's time to leave the capsule
if you dare

This is Major Tom to Ground Control
I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating
in a most peculiar way
And the stars look very different today

For here
Am I sitting in a tin can
Far above the world
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do

Though I'm past
one hundred thousand miles
I'm feeling very still
And I think my spaceship knows which way to go
Tell my wife I love her very much
she knows

Your circuit's dead,
there's something wrong
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you....

Here am I floating
round my tin can
Far above the Moon
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do.
[/size][/RIGHT]
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #65 by Cao » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:53 pm

Ok this makes sense.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/

There has been a lot of speculation about Malaysia Airlines Flight 370. Terrorism, hijacking, meteors. I cannot believe the analysis on CNN; it’s almost disturbing. I tend to look for a simpler explanation, and I find it with the 13,000-foot runway at Pulau Langkawi.

We know the story of MH370: A loaded Boeing 777 departs at midnight from Kuala Lampur, headed to Beijing. A hot night. A heavy aircraft. About an hour out, across the gulf toward Vietnam, the plane goes dark, meaning the transponder and secondary radar tracking go off. Two days later we hear reports that Malaysian military radar (which is a primary radar, meaning the plane is tracked by reflection rather than by transponder interrogation response) has tracked the plane on a southwesterly course back across the Malay Peninsula into the Strait of Malacca.

When I heard this I immediately brought up Google Earth and searched for airports in proximity to the track toward the southwest.

The left turn is the key here. Zaharie Ahmad Shah1 was a very experienced senior captain with 18,000 hours of flight time. We old pilots were drilled to know what is the closest airport of safe harbor while in cruise. Airports behind us, airports abeam us, and airports ahead of us. They’re always in our head. Always. If something happens, you don’t want to be thinking about what are you going to do–you already know what you are going to do. When I saw that left turn with a direct heading, I instinctively knew he was heading for an airport. He was taking a direct route to Palau Langkawi, a 13,000-foot airstrip with an approach over water and no obstacles. The captain did not turn back to Kuala Lampur because he knew he had 8,000-foot ridges to cross. He knew the terrain was friendlier toward Langkawi, which also was closer.

Take a look at this airport on Google Earth. The pilot did all the right things. He was confronted by some major event onboard that made him make an immediate turn to the closest, safest airport.

For me, the loss of transponders and communications makes perfect sense in a fire. And there most likely was an electrical fire. In the case of a fire, the first response is to pull the main busses and restore circuits one by one until you have isolated the bad one. If they pulled the busses, the plane would go silent. It probably was a serious event and the flight crew was occupied with controlling the plane and trying to fight the fire. Aviate, navigate, and lastly, communicate is the mantra in such situations.

There are two types of fires. An electrical fire might not be as fast and furious, and there may or may not be incapacitating smoke. However there is the possibility, given the timeline, that there was an overheat on one of the front landing gear tires, it blew on takeoff and started slowly burning. Yes, this happens with underinflated tires. Remember: Heavy plane, hot night, sea level, long-run takeoff. There was a well known accident in Nigeria of a DC8 that had a landing gear fire on takeoff. Once going, a tire fire would produce horrific, incapacitating smoke. Yes, pilots have access to oxygen masks, but this is a no-no with fire. Most have access to a smoke hood with a filter, but this will last only a few minutes depending on the smoke level. (I used to carry one in my flight bag, and I still carry one in my briefcase when I fly.)

What I think happened is the flight crew was overcome by smoke and the plane continued on the heading, probably on George (autopilot), until it ran out of fuel or the fire destroyed the control surfaces and it crashed. You will find it along that route–looking elsewhere is pointless.

Ongoing speculation of a hijacking and/or murder-suicide and that there was a flight engineer on board does not sway me in favor of foul play until I am presented with evidence of foul play.

We know there was a last voice transmission that, from a pilot’s point of view, was entirely normal. “Good night” is customary on a hand-off to a new air traffic control. The “good night” also strongly indicates to me that all was OK on the flight deck. Remember, there are many ways a pilot can communicate distress. A hijack code or even transponder code off by one digit would alert ATC that something was wrong. Every good pilot knows keying an SOS over the mike always is an option. Even three short clicks would raise an alert. So I conclude that at the point of voice transmission all was perceived as well on the flight deck by the pilots.

But things could have been in the process of going wrong, unknown to the pilots.

Evidently the ACARS went inoperative some time before. Disabling the ACARS is not easy, as pointed out. This leads me to believe more in an electrical problem or an electrical fire than a manual shutdown. I suggest the pilots probably were not aware ACARS was not transmitting.

As for the reports of altitude fluctuations, given that this was not transponder-generated data but primary radar at maybe 200 miles, the azimuth readings can be affected by a lot of atmospherics and I would not have high confidence in this being totally reliable. But let’s accept for a minute that the pilot may have ascended to 45,000 feet in a last-ditch effort to quell a fire by seeking the lowest level of oxygen. That is an acceptable scenario. At 45,000 feet, it would be tough to keep this aircraft stable, as the flight envelope is very narrow and loss of control in a stall is entirely possible. The aircraft is at the top of its operational ceiling. The reported rapid rates of descent could have been generated by a stall, followed by a recovery at 25,000 feet. The pilot may even have been diving to extinguish flames.

But going to 45,000 feet in a hijack scenario doesn’t make any good sense to me.

Regarding the additional flying time: On departing Kuala Lampur, Flight 370 would have had fuel for Beijing and an alternate destination, probably Shanghai, plus 45 minutes–say, 8 hours. Maybe more. He burned 20-25 percent in the first hour with takeoff and the climb to cruise. So when the turn was made toward Langkawi, he would have had six hours or more hours worth of fuel. This correlates nicely with the Inmarsat data pings being received until fuel exhaustion.

The now known continued flight until time to fuel exhaustion only confirms to me that the crew was incapacitated and the flight continued on deep into the south Indian ocean.

There is no point speculating further until more evidence surfaces, but in the meantime it serves no purpose to malign pilots who well may have been in a struggle to save this aircraft from a fire or other serious mechanical issue. Capt. Zaharie Ahmad Shah was a hero struggling with an impossible situation trying to get that plane to Langkawi. There is no doubt in my mind. That’s the reason for the turn and direct route. A hijacking would not have made that deliberate left turn with a direct heading for Langkawi. It probably would have weaved around a bit until the hijackers decided where they were taking it.

Surprisingly, none of the reporters, officials, or other pilots interviewed have looked at this from the pilot’s viewpoint: If something went wrong, where would he go? Thanks to Google Earth I spotted Langkawi in about 30 seconds, zoomed in and saw how long the runway was and I just instinctively knew this pilot knew this airport. He had probably flown there many times.

Fire in an aircraft demands one thing: Get the machine on the ground as soon as possible. There are two well-remembered experiences in my memory. The AirCanada DC9 which landed, I believe, in Columbus, Ohio in the 1980s. That pilot delayed descent and bypassed several airports. He didn’t instinctively know the closest airports. He got it on the ground eventually, but lost 30-odd souls. The 1998 crash of Swissair DC-10 off Nova Scotia was another example of heroic pilots. They were 15 minutes out of Halifax but the fire overcame them and they had to ditch in the ocean. They simply ran out of time. That fire incidentally started when the aircraft was about an hour out of Kennedy. Guess what? The transponders and communications were shut off as they pulled the busses.

Get on Google Earth and type in Pulau Langkawi and then look at it in relation to the radar track heading. Two plus two equals four. For me, that is the simple explanation why it turned and headed in that direction. Smart pilot. He just didn’t have the time.
PredsFan77

Post #66 by PredsFan77 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:58 pm

No it doesn't.
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #67 by Cao » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:37 pm

mooseOAK wrote:The Swissair crew communicated that there was a fire before the crash, nothing like that came out of MH370 as far as we know.

Couldn't the fire have turned off the communications?
Balki Bartokomous
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 34 times
Received rep: 301 times

Post #68 by Balki Bartokomous » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:42 pm

Sure, but there'd still be a sign of that plane somewhere, fire or not. Doesn't explain how there was pings coming like eight hours after either. Unless that's all BS.
Fruity Pebbles
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 8 times

Post #69 by Fruity Pebbles » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:46 pm

I mean a fire is possible but it's not a slam dunk like that guy said.
Macbeth
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 324 times
Received rep: 251 times

Post #70 by Macbeth » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:04 pm

I reiterate my annoyance : it might end the way LOST did and that's fucking unacceptable.
PredsFan77

Post #71 by PredsFan77 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:41 pm

It doesn't explain the stealth like navaids it flew over. They would've done a better job lining up for the runway if that's where it was actually going. They'd be dumping fuel for landing.and the last fix wouldn't have been out towards the Maldives. It's garbage.
PredsFan77

Post #72 by PredsFan77 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:42 pm

Plus a plane on fire doesn't remain in the air for 6 hours.
Dog
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1065 times
Received rep: 650 times

Post #73 by Dog » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:08 pm

dempsey_k wrote:I expect a higher caliber of comedy from you, Byzer

Really?
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 206 times
Received rep: 123 times

Post #74 by mayoradamwest » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:10 pm

The Bytown Boozer wrote:HAVEN'T YOU PEOPLE EVER SEEN THE LANGOLIERS?!?!

No, what's it about?
mcphee
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 103 times
Received rep: 202 times

Post #75 by mcphee » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:20 pm

The Bytown Boozer wrote:A New York cosmetologist mistakenly thought to be a science teacher is offered a job to teach the children of an Eastern European dictator. Mayhem ensues.

Based on a true story ?

Oooohhh that expression pisses me off.
Artie
Registered Broad

Post #76 by Artie » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:28 am

maybe Global Warming has shifted the Bermuda Triangle

planes used to disappear there all the time without explanation, back in the day

It's too bad all the people that could really run the Habs are busy doing talk radio, writing blogs or posting on message boards.

Now, Lajoie is an imbecile, a cretin and a plagiarist, who to use author Dany Laferrière's deliciously withering expression, "lives beyond his intellectual means."

Haddock wrote:I wouldn't know anything about that. I gave my soul up when I swore allegiance to the goddamn queen.

MP
Registered Broad

Post #77 by MP » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:32 am

Artie wrote:maybe Global Warming has shifted the Bermuda Triangle

planes used to disappear there all the time without explanation, back in the day

I think Scooby Doo and the Mystery Inc. gang solved that mystery back in the 70's. Damn those meddling kids were good...
AD
Has given rep: 322 times
Received rep: 394 times

Post #78 by AD » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:12 am

Masterplan to MP is not something I approve. I've been trying to deal with it for the past few while and I can't.

I just can't. I..

:why:
MP
Registered Broad

Post #79 by MP » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:55 pm

AD wrote:Masterplan to MP is not something I approve. I've been trying to deal with it for the past few while and I can't.

I just can't. I..

:why:

I will also be making an alt 'empee' shortly... But Mrs. MP has no desire to hang out or associate with you lot.

Also "past few while" is very fre-anglais for you banana...
Pennywise
Registered Broad

Post #80 by Pennywise » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:34 pm

Cao
Registered Broad

Post #81 by Cao » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:49 pm

welcome to a page ago, IDIOT
Pennywise
Registered Broad

Post #82 by Pennywise » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:52 pm

Cao wrote:welcome to a page ago, IDIOT

Sorry..I skim over your posts. :pacman:
Artie
Registered Broad

Post #83 by Artie » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:53 pm

Filo wrote:Sorry..I skim over your posts. :pacman:

you are being very liberal with that assumption

Cao
Registered Broad

Post #84 by Cao » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:08 pm

Filo wrote:Sorry..I skim over your posts. :pacman:

what about the 7 posts that follow it about the theory?

confirmed: filo has trouble reading!!
IcE ColD
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 29 times
Received rep: 63 times

Post #85 by IcE ColD » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:12 pm

Cao wrote:what about the 7 posts that follow it about the theory?

We call it "very short attention span"
Society is actually a bunch of flawed primates guided by selfishness, fear, and superstitious bullshit.

David Wong - 19/12/2016
Pennywise
Registered Broad

Post #86 by Pennywise » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:16 pm

Cao wrote:what about the 7 posts that follow it about the theory?

Let me inspire you.

This everyday.

This in my schedule everyday.

Get smart. Be great. #WTB
Artie
Registered Broad

Post #87 by Artie » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:29 pm

Return to “bleetbloop”