CBC's Red Wedding

bloop bloop blah
User avatar
Transplanted Caper
Posts: 16267
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:04 pm
Has given rep: 68 times
Received rep: 207 times

CBC's Red Wedding

Post #1 by Transplanted Caper » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:38 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/cbc-to-cut-657-jobs-will-no-longer-compete-for-professional-sports-rights-1.2605504

Funding shortfalls and revenue losses have forced CBC/Radio-Canada to cut $130 million from its budget this year, a move that will eliminate 657 jobs over the next two years and take the network out of competing for the rights to broadcast professional sports, the public broadcaster says.

"Very tough and controversial choices needed to be made and were made," CBC president and CEO Hubert T. Lacroix said at a townhall meeting with staff Thursday.

Lacroix said CBC could no longer compete against private broadcasters that have specialty sports channels and multiple media platforms. The result will mean "substantially reducing" the size of the sports department and covering fewer sporting events, including amateur sports. But the CBC will still compete for sporting events of national significance, like the Olympics.
User avatar
Transplanted Caper
Posts: 16267
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:04 pm
Has given rep: 68 times
Received rep: 207 times

Post #2 by Transplanted Caper » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:40 pm

Rosemary Barton ‏@RosieBarton 4m
Redundancy notices to be given to employees by the end of the month.

Rosemary Barton ‏@RosieBarton 2m
Management positions will be cut. #cbc About 13%.


Thought they should have gotten out of pro sports years ago. Lots of really good reporters there, although CBC NN during the day makes me want to tear my hair from time to time.
User avatar
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad
Posts: 22159
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:50 pm
Has given rep: 140 times
Received rep: 423 times

Post #3 by Dr_Chimera » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:03 pm

I'm fine with CBC doing Olympic coverage and HNIC. And I mean actually doing HNIC, not through corporate control.

Everything else is difficult to justify. Over the years the CBC has been televising the CFL, Blue Jays and the like. Seems like a waste of taxpayer money.
User avatar
Macbeth
Registered Broad
Posts: 49205
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:06 am
Location: Montréal, Québec
Has given rep: 656 times
Received rep: 602 times

Post #4 by Macbeth » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:26 pm

What's that ?

The sound of a handful of Facebook friends typing up their CVs ?

Yep, that's what it is.
User avatar
RTWAP
Posts: 11003
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:01 am
Location: O-town
Has given rep: 27 times
Received rep: 33 times

Post #5 by RTWAP » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:07 pm

Dr_Chimera wrote:I'm fine with CBC doing Olympic coverage and HNIC. And I mean actually doing HNIC, not through corporate control.

Everything else is difficult to justify. Over the years the CBC has been televising the CFL, Blue Jays and the like. Seems like a waste of taxpayer money.


I'd rather then not do things that commercial channels are willing to do. Just do what the commercial channels can't, or won't. Become Canada's PBS. Smaller local stations and an umbrella organization for pooling resources on larger projects. Plus maybe a news organization. Except they should partner with everyone else. Use newspaper reporters as permanent part-timers in far off places. Share locations, production and on-air staff in more prominent locations. And sign deals with the commercial channels letting them share the feed when shit goes down.
User avatar
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad
Posts: 22159
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:50 pm
Has given rep: 140 times
Received rep: 423 times

Post #6 by Dr_Chimera » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:27 am

RTWAP wrote:I'd rather then not do things that commercial channels are willing to do. Just do what the commercial channels can't, or won't. Become Canada's PBS. Smaller local stations and an umbrella organization for pooling resources on larger projects. Plus maybe a news organization. Except they should partner with everyone else. Use newspaper reporters as permanent part-timers in far off places. Share locations, production and on-air staff in more prominent locations. And sign deals with the commercial channels letting them share the feed when shit goes down.


HNIC and Olympics can be arguably a part of the CBC's agenda.

Comcast has proven that a corporation can deprive a significant portion of a country of coverage and, as long as one agrees that the Olympics are something more than a commodity (very debatable), then the taxpayer can potentially fund coverage that is accessible to all Canadians.

HNIC is known to be a Canadian institution, one of the few truly culturally meaningful things the country has, and the CBC has done a pretty damn good job with this over the years. One can make a good case here against privatizing this (at the moment, one assumes that this is only semi-privatized; obviously Rogers does not have the right to do absolutely anything it wants with the format).

I have much more of an issue with CBC paying Kevin O'Leary, as well as sitcoms that merely imitate American-style programming.
User avatar
RTWAP
Posts: 11003
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:01 am
Location: O-town
Has given rep: 27 times
Received rep: 33 times

Post #7 by RTWAP » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:27 pm

Dr_Chimera wrote:HNIC and Olympics can be arguably a part of the CBC's agenda.

Comcast has proven that a corporation can deprive a significant portion of a country of coverage and, as long as one agrees that the Olympics are something more than a commodity (very debatable), then the taxpayer can potentially fund coverage that is accessible to all Canadians.

HNIC is known to be a Canadian institution, one of the few truly culturally meaningful things the country has, and the CBC has done a pretty damn good job with this over the years. One can make a good case here against privatizing this (at the moment, one assumes that this is only semi-privatized; obviously Rogers does not have the right to do absolutely anything it wants with the format).

I have much more of an issue with CBC paying Kevin O'Leary, as well as sitcoms that merely imitate American-style programming.


HNIC is dead. It could only exist as long as the NHL saw value in it, and as soon as the other options become roughly comparable in quality (and willing to pay more) its days were numbered.

If I was the CBC, and I really wanted to rebuild HNIC, I'd do it with other leagues. Show junior games, or university games, or a local mens game of the week for fucks sake. Anything but the property they can no longer afford.
User avatar
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad
Posts: 22159
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:50 pm
Has given rep: 140 times
Received rep: 423 times

Post #8 by Dr_Chimera » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:41 pm

RTWAP wrote:HNIC is dead. It could only exist as long as the NHL saw value in it, and as soon as the other options become roughly comparable in quality (and willing to pay more) its days were numbered.

If I was the CBC, and I really wanted to rebuild HNIC, I'd do it with other leagues. Show junior games, or university games, or a local mens game of the week for fucks sake. Anything but the property they can no longer afford.


There must be a good article on the HNIC situation that explains the economics of it. Am I supposed to believe that no one could outbid the CBC for these games in the past?

I have always assumed that the CBC simply had automatic control of Saturday night, but no longer does due to Harper's cons. I don't think it's about quality, because TSN has had excellent quality for many years, while Sportsnet still looks like amateur hour.
User avatar
RTWAP
Posts: 11003
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:01 am
Location: O-town
Has given rep: 27 times
Received rep: 33 times

Post #9 by RTWAP » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:00 am

Dr_Chimera wrote:There must be a good article on the HNIC situation that explains the economics of it. Am I supposed to believe that no one could outbid the CBC for these games in the past?

I have always assumed that the CBC simply had automatic control of Saturday night, but no longer does due to Harper's cons. I don't think it's about quality, because TSN has had excellent quality for many years, while Sportsnet still looks like amateur hour.


The cable channels had to first have enough penetration that the NHL felt satisfied removing the games from free TV, and the sophistication to do a good job presenting the games.

I think with the previous agreement the NHL made sure both TSN and Sportsnet had a chance to demonstrate their ability to handle it, and to drive hockey fans to subscribe to their channels. At this point if you're a hockey fan and don't have TSN and Sportsnet then the NHL doesn't really care about you.

I'm pretty sure Harper's cons had nothing to do with it. Hockey has been a cash cow for the CBC. With the agreement before this one they had to give up a big chunk of their profits because of the competition from the cable channels. And in the new deal they've lost those profits completely. The cable channels look at hockey as a reason for people not to drop cable. CBC offering it for free over the air was effectively giving the NHL away for free when other channels could make people pay for it. The ratings might not be as high on cable, and the advertising therefore a little less, but I guess it's reached the tipping point where the subscriber fees more than make up for it.

Return to “bleetbloop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest