Everybody vs. Everybody Middle East GDT III

bloop bloop blah
Pennywise
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 184 times
Received rep: 22 times

Post #951 by Pennywise » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:09 pm

Wow. The world is watching, they actually might try to make an example out of him.

A senior police officer, who is part of the probe told The Hindu that once he is arrested he will be charged under Section 66F of Information Technology Act, 2000 for 'cyber terrorism'.

Section 66-F (B) specifically deals with crimes where a person knowingly accesses a computer resource that "may be used to cause or likely to cause injury to the interests of the sovereignty and integrity of India, the security of the State, friendly relations with foreign States, public order, decency or morality, or in relation to contempt of court, defamation or incitement to an offence, or to the advantage of any foreign nation, group of individuals or otherwise."
Under the law, a person convicted for cyber terrorism is punishable even with life imprisonment.

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/isis-twitter-jihadi-mehdi-masroor-biswas-faces-life-imprisonment-cyber-terrorism-617035

Pennywise
Registered Broad

Post #952 by Pennywise » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:03 am

Apparently he has been detained for questioning. Cops waiting for legal opinion before further action.
Pennywise
Registered Broad

Post #953 by Pennywise » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:03 am

dempsey_k wrote:Image

What a lion of tawhid.

That motherfucker sold me a phone last week.
Pennywise
Registered Broad

Post #954 by Pennywise » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:56 pm

Had no idea.

China has volunteered to assist with airstrikes in Iraq, although it will not join the US-led international coalition. http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/3f4dc794-8141-11e4-b956-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3LqReYeuf
senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 252 times
Received rep: 228 times

Post #955 by senate » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:21 pm

At least 2 gunmen have taken 13 hostages at a Lindt Chocolate store in Sydney, Australia. The hostages were forced to hold a black Islamic flag up in the window.

A live link to Australian news coverage.
Germz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 102 times
Received rep: 68 times

Post #956 by Germz » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:02 pm

dempsey_k wrote:Taliban massacre 130 school children in Pakistan.

Yeah, this is a particularly hideous story.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/scores-killed-in-taliban-attack-military-school-in-pakistan/article22100435/

The attack on a military-run high school attended by more than 1,100 people, many of them children of army personnel, struck at the heart of Pakistan’s military establishment, an assault certain to enrage the country’s powerful army.

Wounded children taken to nearby hospitals told Reuters most victims died when gunmen, suicide vests strapped to their bodies, entered the compound and opened fire indiscriminately on boys, girls and their teachers.

“One of my teachers was crying, she was shot in the hand and she was crying in pain,” said Shahrukh Khan, 15, who was shot in both legs but survived after hiding under a bench. “One terrorist then walked up to her and started shooting her until she stopped making any sound. All around me my friends were lying injured and dead.”

The hardline Islamist Taliban movement immediately claimed responsibility. “We selected the army’s school for the attack because the government is targeting our families and females,” said Taliban spokesman Muhammad Umar Khorasani. “We want them to feel the pain.”
senate wrote:As goes the Canadian Senate, so go the Ottawa Senators.
Pennywise
Registered Broad

Post #957 by Pennywise » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:03 pm

Pennywise
Registered Broad

Post #958 by Pennywise » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:02 am

mooseOAK wrote:Don't see the joke.

It's not a jokingly LOL. It's a holy shit LOL. An Islamist militias has an airforce. Goes to show you what a hell hole Libya is.

The battle for the Baghdad Belt will help define the future of Iraq and whether it will break up in all but name.

If Islamic State wins control of the Belt, it could launch an assault on the capital and try to bring down the government.
NyQuil
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 10 times

Post #959 by NyQuil » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:43 am

I remember the Tamil Tigers had an "air force".
AD
Has given rep: 374 times
Received rep: 474 times

Post #960 by AD » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:11 pm

mooseOAK wrote:An air force is a very technically involved and very expensive entity so it can't really be a militia doing this, can it?

All you need is money. The people with the expertise haven't vanished.
Sturminator
Registered Broad
Received rep: 3 times

Post #961 by Sturminator » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:58 pm

dempsey_k wrote:This isn't really a first. Islamists were flying F-14 Tomcats in Iran years before Top Gun was released.

Yes, but were they trading homosexual innuendos in the shower with men named Slider and getting sunshine blown up their asses by Tom Skerritt?
If a man were permitted to make all the ballads, he need not care who should make the laws of a nation.
NyQuil
Registered Broad

Post #962 by NyQuil » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:05 pm

It was tough to keep them flying without US parts.
NyQuil
Registered Broad

Post #963 by NyQuil » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:46 am

The coalition air campaign in Iraq has killed several senior ISIS officials, including its military chief, U.S. officials said Thursday, as Canada confirmed CF-18 warplanes had destroyed two of the terror group’s positions.

The Pentagon said “multiple senior and mid-level leaders” of the Islamic State of Iraq and Al-Sham had died in “targeted coalition air strikes” over the past month. The attacks took place in mid-November and early December, but the deaths were only recently confirmed.

Those killed were identified as Haji Mutazz, ISIS boss Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi’s deputy in Iraq, and Abd al Basit, the military emir for Iraq. Radwan Talib, the ISIS commander for the city of Mosul, was also killed.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/12/18/coalition-air-strikes-kill-multiple-key-isis-leaders-in-iraq-pentagon-says/
Sturminator
Registered Broad

Post #964 by Sturminator » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:49 pm

This whole "let's stop just being terrorists and control territory" thing was never a good idea.
If a man were permitted to make all the ballads, he need not care who should make the laws of a nation.
PredsFan77
Has given rep: 108 times
Received rep: 248 times

Post #965 by PredsFan77 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:29 pm

dempsey_k wrote: y'all

[RIGHT]
Image[/RIGHT]
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Sturminator
Registered Broad

Post #966 by Sturminator » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:40 pm

dempsey_k wrote:It'll be utterly disastrous for Sunni Arabs. Debaathification becomes Dedaeshification, with added ethnic cleansing.

By the time the world gives enough of a fuck to worry much about the fate of normal Sunni living in northern Iraq, the Kurds and Shi'a will have thoroughly fucked them. Mosul will become the capital of a new and muscular Kurdistan, and Erdogan's ass will pucker with joy. The Sunni jihadist movement will go back underground and continue blowing up Iraqi Shi'a on a weekly basis. Good times.
Pennywise
Registered Broad

Post #967 by Pennywise » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:26 pm

Sturminator
Registered Broad

Post #968 by Sturminator » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:45 am

dempsey_k wrote:However, Kirkuk is already problematic for the KRG. There have been several suicide VBIEDs there. Just this week during Kurdistan Flag Day, a bunch of Arabs started beating up Kurds and prancing around with ISIS flags in Kirkuk. It's by no means a cakewalk taking it, and Mosul might be far tougher without some kind of mass exodus of Orcs and collaborators fleeing town and a bit of ethnic cleansing, which the KRG has shown itself not to be above in its retaking of Maxmur, Gwer, and Jalawla. And I heavily doubt the KCK and its many tentacles have any interest whatsoever in participating in that, but it's possible their pie in the sky talk of expanding "democratic confederalism" to other ethnicities could have a role in a retaken Mosul as they spread their Murray Bookchin gospel to Arabs - something they've already begun in Syria and Turkey.

Even Kirkuk is about 75% Arab. Controlling it with clean hands will be impossible. If the Kurds are serious about building a respectable state, they will need a capital, and if they designate Kirkuk as their capital and leave Mosul in the hands of the Sunni, they will place themselves in an indefensible position. The logic is CIV-level simple, but compelling, nonetheless. If Mosul does not fall under the control of the Kurds, it will be very difficult for them to maintain a geographically contiguous state which includes Kirkuk.

The Shi'a government in Baghdad will have approximately zero leverage to demand Mosul back once the dust settles, so the only question is how serious are the Kurds about holding it? Let's not forget how fresh the wounds still are, and that Mosul is the historic home of a great portion of Ba'ath party bigwigs. Lots of scores to settle there, even before ISIS came to town. A siege and invasion of ISIS-held Mosul would provide the perfect cover for the Peshmerga to drive Arab civilians out of the city in droves. The Kurds haven't been this close to autonomy since the fall of the Ottoman Empire; I doubt they soft-shoe it. This will get worse before it gets better.
Sturminator
Registered Broad

Post #969 by Sturminator » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:50 am

Question for you demps: do you think an ascendent Kurdistan will handle its enemies with restraint on ideological grounds, or will the Kurds end up like basically every other pseudomarxist group that has come before them once they manage to consolidate power?

For my part, I must admit a certain skepticism regarding how much "atypical revolutionary behavior" we should expect from the Kurds on account of this Boochkin fella. This belief system, such as it is, seems to be emanating from a codex whose dissemination was very much a top-down affair, and occurred not so long ago, at that. One wonders how much the lower-level leadership (nevermind the trigger-pullers) really gives a shit about the beliefs of some distant American theorist. It would be an uplifting story if, as they fill the power vacuum, the KCK handles the Arabs of northern Iraq with some modicum of respect, but I see a large potential for disappointment here.
Pennywise
Registered Broad

Post #970 by Pennywise » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:34 am

Sturminator wrote:Even Kirkuk is about 75% Arab. Controlling it with clean hands will be impossible. If the Kurds are serious about building a respectable state, they will need a capital, and if they designate Kirkuk as their capital and leave Mosul in the hands of the Sunni, they will place themselves in an indefensible position. The logic is CIV-level simple, but compelling, nonetheless. If Mosul does not fall under the control of the Kurds, it will be very difficult for them to maintain a geographically contiguous state which includes Kirkuk.

The Shi'a government in Baghdad will have approximately zero leverage to demand Mosul back once the dust settles, so the only question is how serious are the Kurds about holding it? Let's not forget how fresh the wounds still are, and that Mosul is the historic home of a great portion of Ba'ath party bigwigs. Lots of scores to settle there, even before ISIS came to town. A siege and invasion of ISIS-held Mosul would provide the perfect cover for the Peshmerga to drive Arab civilians out of the city in droves. The Kurds haven't been this close to autonomy since the fall of the Ottoman Empire; I doubt they soft-shoe it. This will get worse before it gets better.

Minor clash at University of Kirkuk. Arabs and Kurds going at it.

[YOUTUBE]vg3aHUqM3q8[/YOUTUBE]
Pennywise
Registered Broad

Post #971 by Pennywise » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:23 am

IcE ColD
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 29 times
Received rep: 63 times

Post #972 by IcE ColD » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:05 pm

embracedbias wrote:I fucking hate titles like this. "And this is what he discovered" go fuck yourself

I think I'm getting it backward... because every time I see such a title, it prevents me from clicking the link.

FB ruined me.
Society is actually a bunch of flawed primates guided by selfishness, fear, and superstitious bullshit.

David Wong - 19/12/2016
Pennywise
Registered Broad

Post #973 by Pennywise » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:24 pm

embracedbias wrote:I fucking hate titles like this. "And this is what he discovered" go fuck yourself

It's tabloid-ish for sure. He'll be really sympathetic to them, but at least some sort of insight will be given.

Iranian Airstrikes in Iraq Are a Warning and a Sign of Progress
Sturminator
Registered Broad

Post #974 by Sturminator » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:21 pm

The best part is that "what he discovered" is nothing new, whatsoever.
Pennywise
Registered Broad

Post #975 by Pennywise » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:33 pm

Fuck you all. It's for the common folk who don't really pay attention (and it's mostly just a preview). I'd post Listers latest piece, but I think maybe Sturminator and Dempsey are the only ones who will read the whole thing.

Anbar sounds fucked. Talked to Quentin Sommerville and he confirms clashes took place between ISIS and US forces. We'll see just how committed we are to Anbar, because there is no way it holds up without US ground support.

Iranian Airpower In Iraq
Pennywise
Registered Broad

Post #976 by Pennywise » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:53 am

Sturminator
Registered Broad

Post #977 by Sturminator » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:33 am

I'm waiting with baited breath for a duchy of lesbian nouveau valkyries to pop up in ISIS-occupied territory.
Ernie
Registered Broad
Received rep: 1 time

Post #978 by Ernie » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:09 pm

dempsey_k wrote:God bless you girls

[tweet]547048011407577088[/tweet]
[tweet]547015668147953664[/tweet]

$20 says you had a couple of good rounds of fapping to this.
Ernie
Registered Broad

Post #979 by Ernie » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:27 pm

dempsey_k wrote:I'm not paying you $20 for thinking about me masturbating.

so you're admitting it?
AD

Post #980 by AD » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:32 pm

I'm masturbating to this conversation right now!
Ernie
Registered Broad

Post #981 by Ernie » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:02 pm

ok that's TMI.
Pennywise
Registered Broad

Post #982 by Pennywise » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:39 am

ISIS managed to shoot down a Jordanian jet over Raqqa, Syria and captured the pilot alive. Yikes.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/24/us-mideast-crisis-syria-crash-idUSKBN0K20GJ20141224
Sturminator
Registered Broad

Post #983 by Sturminator » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:33 am

dempsey_k wrote:When this op is over, it'll be much easier for the next two offensives in Mosul and Hasakah now that they're split.

Mosul is essentially encircled. ISIS fighters could still flee south into the Sunni triangle, but there are no more escape routes east. This is where the terrain of the middle east really favors western forces. Few major thoroughfares and lots of open space make it easy to deny passage through areas without putting boots on the ground. ISIS must know that there will be tight overwatch of the eastern roads out of Mosul from this point forward. I am curious to see if they fight to the last man in Mosul or retreat to the Sunni heartland and regroup. If they decide to fight to the last man, the battle for Mosul could get really ugly - like Aleppo bad. We shall see.
Sturminator
Registered Broad

Post #984 by Sturminator » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:41 pm

dempsey_k wrote:We've already been engaging ISIS in Anbar alongside the ISF, with more troops on the way. ISIS still poses a serious threat, but their mystique of invincibility has vanished to say the least. More realistically, it's costed them in morale among their subjects. Lot of dying left to do, but the tide has turned.

We probably shouldn't underestimate just how pissed off the Sunni of Iraq are at this point. They have been murdered by the tens of thousands, driven out of Baghdad by force, and effectively disenfranchised by the Shi'a majority. Populations can be subdued by sufficient force, but it is an ugly process. The awakening worked in large part because we were able to convince the Sunni that they had something to lose by siding with al Qaeda. What have they got left to lose today?

I wish I could say that I see a diplomatic path out of the mire, but I do not. The Sunni have grossly overplayed their hand, and will be made to bleed for it. In other news, alQ claims to have developed an ass bomb. Merry christmas.
Pennywise
Registered Broad

Post #985 by Pennywise » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:22 pm

dempsey_k wrote: Religion isn't like politics, it grabs you much deeper. I think the Sunnis have condemned themselves to something far worse than the fate of the Third Reich.

I've read a few times that they have even resorted to sending delegations of tribal members to...Iran..basically to beg for guns. Has this ever happened before? Something tells Khameini does not mind this one bit.
Sturminator
Registered Broad

Post #986 by Sturminator » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:40 pm

Not counting Hamas, you mean.
Ernie
Registered Broad

Post #987 by Ernie » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:22 pm

Doesn't really seem like a fair fight. Haftar / Thinni will control the oil revenues and have the international recognition.

Algeria, Tunisia, and Egypt are all coming down on the side of Haftar. Qatar and Turkey might sympathize with Libya Dawn, but it's doubtful they could come out and outright support it.
Sturminator
Registered Broad

Post #988 by Sturminator » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:05 am

dempsey_k wrote:Libya is about to get as fucked up as Syria

Predicting that this or any conflict will become a Syria-level epic clusterfuck is pretty bold. This could drag on and leave Tripoli in ruins, or it could be over quickly. From one point of view, it could be seen as progress that there are now only two main factions vying for power as opposed to the dozen or so that we had two years ago. Analyzing the current crisis in terms of the "last narrative" (Syria, in this case) is a questionable method.

I don't think we'll see a full-on regional conflagration in Libya, no. We can revisit this in a couple more years and see who was right.
Pennywise
Registered Broad

Post #989 by Pennywise » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:12 pm

dempsey_k wrote:Libya is about to get as fucked up as Syria:

http://foreignpolicy.com/2014/12/29/a-ground-invasion-of-the-capital-is-imminent-libya-dawn-haftar-militias/

Won't be surprising to see Algeria and Egypt get into the mix, and possibly affecting Tunisia's fragile new democracy.

Hmm. The reports of ISIS and other Islamists trying to build one cohesive ground force to take this on makes a bit more sense now.

Deaths in Iraq show two sides of Iran's role in sectarian conflict
jester
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 8 times
Received rep: 77 times

Post #990 by jester » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:16 am

dempsey_k wrote:Lol rumors via both Baghdad and Erbil that ISIS has an Ebola outbreak in Mosul.

Gonna put that one on the hot take stove for a while and let it simmer.

In all seriousness, let's pray that isn't true.
Sturminator
Registered Broad

Post #991 by Sturminator » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:39 am

jester wrote:In all seriousness, let's pray that isn't true.

Almost shades of Athens during the Peleponnesian war. The Kurds would surely do a happy dance at the prospect of a suddenly depopulated Mosul ripe for the taking.

If disease turns the seemingly inevitable battle for Mosul into a simple affair, it might actually be a good thing. Hard to say.
jester
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 8 times
Received rep: 77 times

Post #992 by jester » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:47 am

The problem would be containment. Given the international element, it isn't impossible it would show up there. But, man, that could get scary quick if it starts spreading East from there.

(I do suspect it's BS, though.)
AD

Post #993 by AD » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:07 am

God works in mysterious ways.
Sturminator
Registered Broad

Post #994 by Sturminator » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:29 am

jester wrote:The problem would be containment. Given the international element, it isn't impossible it would show up there. But, man, that could get scary quick if it starts spreading East from there.

Given the way arabs wipe their asses and handle corpses, it could get pretty fucking gory.

Return to “bleetbloop”