Eh-Oh-Canada-Go

bloop bloop blah
Puck
Registered Broad
Received rep: 1 time

Post #3401 by Puck » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:29 pm

Even conservatives not in government are questioning the decision not to include parliamentary oversight. Some suspect the reason for doing that is to force the opposition to oppose the legislation, putting them at odds with the CPC and a large chunk of public opinion on security issues and creating a simple duality for voters with the CPC supposedly being activist against jihadists and others weak on the issue. I think the Liberals have taken the best political decision for them as a centrist party; they got hurt in the polls after their decision not to support the F-18 mission. Stronger opposition to the CPC is a better position for a left-wing party like the NDP, but they still have to decide on the political ramifications of pleasing their more left-wing base or losing soft switch voters.

The CPC are being dicks on certain items to intentionally force the other parties to oppose. I think the Liberals got it right this time. The NDP has a serious decision to make. Hopefully the CPC's hardline on some items will hurt them if the opposition can frame their own policy stand more precisely this time around. It's more difficult for the Opposition to explain a more nuanced and complex position but if they can pull it off maybe CPC pig-headedness might be perceived as a negative this time.
Puck
Registered Broad

Post #3402 by Puck » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:48 am

One would think conservatives of conscience would oppose any expansion of state powers and infringements on their 'freedoms'. But right-wing governments around the world have had too much success using the fear card on terror. The Dems in the US and Labour in Israel have had a difficult time arguing against right-wing parties when trying to oppose conservatives as they start inventing legislation for unicorns (as if breeding some unicorn will magically stop terrorist acts; case in point, NSA-like spying on everyone). When an uninformed public is riled up some times it is best for the liberal or left-wing parties to be very careful in opposing gut reactionary moves. Unfortunately they (the right) can do a lot of damage before the public sobers up. I'm not sure we need all this legislation but what the heck, I don't think Canadian judges will go crazy in the short run and put everyone in jail. A subsequent government can fix it later. Most of what our security forces asked was more resources which is missing in the new bill, the CPC needs to find money for their budget not spend it.
NyQuil
Registered Broad
Received rep: 4 times

Post #3403 by NyQuil » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:48 am

Thomas Malthus wrote:I'm tackling Canadian dairy and poultry supply management.

Mrs_NyQuil was involved in a few cases involving dairy supply management.

More specifically, around quota transfers.
Puck
Registered Broad

Post #3404 by Puck » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:27 am

Thomas Malthus wrote:Huh, there are 27 Tory MPs not running for re-election (including DDM at the moment) in this year's election.

With any luck, the electorate will retire at least 70 more Tory MPs unwilling to make the move on their own. ;)
AD
Has given rep: 282 times
Received rep: 309 times

Post #3405 by AD » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:31 am

You know who I hate more than the current government? The frickin electorate :why:
Puck
Registered Broad

Post #3406 by Puck » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:53 am

AD wrote:You know who I hate more than the current government? The frickin electorate :why:

You would be a citizen of the state of misanthropy; there is no vaccine for that ;)
AD

Post #3407 by AD » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:01 am

:why:
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 171 times
Received rep: 116 times

Post #3408 by mayoradamwest » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:53 am

Puck
Registered Broad

Post #3409 by Puck » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:26 pm

Improvements in international trade management practices are cool and overdue but you also need something to sell other than natural resources. Perhaps the govt should get involved in setting up a national financial institution that will take risks, with innovators heaven knows our Canadian banks aren't risk takers on innovation (more into wealth management). Federal and provincial governments keep going back to the natural resources well for growth, (oil, Ring of Fire, Grand Nord) and that is getting old in the tooth. We need another vision. DFATD needs something else to push other than oil, minerals, wood , wheat and beef, and BlackBerry didn't have any trouble selling abroad when its product was hot.
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 139 times

Post #3410 by Craig » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:33 pm

Puck wrote:Improvements in international trade management practices are cool and overdue but you also need something to sell other than natural resources. Perhaps the govt should get involved in setting up a national financial institution that will take risks, with innovators heaven knows our Canadian banks aren't risk takers on innovation (more into wealth management). Federal and provincial governments keep going back to the natural resources well for growth, (oil, Ring of Fire, Grand Nord) and that is getting old in the tooth. We need another vision. DFATD needs something else to push other than oil, minerals, wood , wheat and beef, and BlackBerry didn't have any trouble selling abroad when its product was hot.

http://www.bdc.ca/en/Pages/home.aspx
Puck
Registered Broad

Post #3411 by Puck » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:03 pm

Thomas Malthus wrote:One of the programs that the TCS is using is called the Canadian Technology Accelerator program, and they sort of pair you up with a "mentor" company in a larger market (currently the USA) who helps you develop your company and you benefit from their experience. It may be expanded to Asian markets (India and China specifically).

More programs like that in combination with financing from BDC or something would be a step in the right direction.
We probably need more like that. BDC is the old Federal Business Development Bank, been around for ages, has had a few successes but might be built not to step on the big boys' toes (complimentary services). More resources need to be funneled into this area IMHO.
Transplanted Caper
Has given rep: 47 times
Received rep: 132 times

Post #3412 by Transplanted Caper » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:28 pm

SCC is ruling on assisted suicide tomorrow morning. Should be a fun day for ol'Pete.
AD wrote:Fucking Caper.
Puck
Registered Broad

Post #3413 by Puck » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:33 pm

One more thing. The FCC's Chairman Wheeler is about to open up on net neutrality in the US and perhaps screw ATT and Comcast. CRTC and politicians here should take note. Innovation on the web and future investments in that sector are going to be hot and we shouldn't just be protecting Bell and Rogers at home. It's one thing to pay lip service to innovation it's another to actually move things ahead structurally for everyone and not just protect a few special interests.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #3414 by Craig » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:06 pm

Puck wrote:We probably need more like that. BDC is the old Federal Business Development Bank, been around for ages, has had a few successes but might be built not to step on the big boys' toes (complimentary services). More resources need to be funneled into this area IMHO.

I thought you wanted them to do things the big boys aren't already doing, namely focusing on venture financing. The BDC is a $20 billion fund that does just that.
AD

Post #3415 by AD » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:20 pm

Craig wrote:I thought you wanted them to do things the big boys aren't already doing, namely focusing on venture financing. The BDC is a $20 billion fund that does just that.

BDC also does a lot (a lot) of straight financing (albeit with a slightly higher risk tolerance than the old banks).
senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 248 times
Received rep: 185 times

Post #3416 by senate » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:31 pm

The last few pages of this thread are far boring to go back and see if this has been posted already:

Puck
Registered Broad

Post #3417 by Puck » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:33 pm

AD wrote:BDC also does a lot (a lot) of straight financing (albeit with a slightly higher risk tolerance than the old banks).

Canadian banks are doing well at a certain level and we praised our financial sector during the financial crisis. There are advantages and disadvantages. In the US for instance there are more local banks and they know local issues and Managers might take more interest in local development. They might finance a local project that would have more difficulty doing the same in Canada. They also have more angel investors with money to burn. Definitely we need more BDC institutions in Canada. I think it's one of our major problems. I don't know how good BDC is on its own, how much bureaucracy there is, if you need to be politically connected to move things along faster. I work in a federal bureaucracy so I know the drill. And we don't seem to have enough private sector mechanisms in this area. WHich is why I was proposing more government resources here but government has weaknesses too and has to be careful with public money (might not be the best actor or player in this field either). I'd like to keep BDC but maybe the govt could open up a few more and set them free of public control just to see what happens. We need more start-ups and the culture that it is ok to fail when you are young, that is how you learn. Failure is part of the process but our current structures want more security about short term wins than anything else. Other places are taking more chances and get those odd big winners that pay off.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #3418 by Craig » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:41 pm

Puck wrote:Canadian banks are doing well at a certain level and we praised our financial sector during the financial crisis. There are advantages and disadvantages. In the US for instance there are more local banks and they know local issues and Managers might take more interest in local development. They might finance a local project that would have more difficulty doing the same in Canada. They also have more angel investors with money to burn. Definitely we need more BDC institutions in Canada. I think it's one of our major problems. I don't know how good BDC is on its own, how much bureaucracy there is, if you need to be politically connected to move things along faster. I work in a federal bureaucracy so I know the drill. And we don't seem to have enough private sector mechanisms in this area. WHich is why I was proposing more government resources here but government has weaknesses too and has to be careful with public money (might not be the best actor or player in this field either). I'd like to keep BDC but maybe the govt could open up a few more and set them free of public control just to see what happens. We need more start-ups and the culture that it is ok to fail when you are young, that is how you learn. Failure is part of the process but our current structures want more security about short term wins than anything else. Other places are taking more chances and get those odd big winners that pay off.

BDC is an arms-length crown corp. They're not really under public control, outside of their legislated mandate. So I mean yeah, they're under public control, but it's not like politicians are picking the investments and stuff, just the general mandate. I kinda doubt they've got the same government bureaucracy thing going on you expect in other government agencies, but I can't say for sure. I do hear they have a pretty decent lawyer, if that helps at all.

What you want is for the government to create a bunch of VC firms with public money, then just set them loose without any oversight? What happens to any profits?
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 171 times
Received rep: 116 times

Post #3419 by mayoradamwest » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:55 pm

senate wrote:The last few pages of this thread are far boring to go back and see if this has been posted already:

Where is Elizabeth May in all of this?
senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 248 times
Received rep: 185 times

Post #3420 by senate » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:01 pm

mayoradamwest wrote:Where is Elizabeth May in all of this?

She's busy being the margin of error.
Puck
Registered Broad

Post #3421 by Puck » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:13 pm

Craig wrote:BDC is an arms-length crown corp. They're not really under public control, outside of their legislated mandate. So I mean yeah, they're under public control, but it's not like politicians are picking the investments and stuff, just the general mandate. I kinda doubt they've got the same government bureaucracy thing going on you expect in other government agencies, but I can't say for sure. I do hear they have a pretty decent lawyer, if that helps at all.

What you want is for the government to create a bunch of VC firms with public money, then just set them loose without any oversight? What happens to any profits?
Back into the pool to re-invest. Anyway I don't have all the answers as to how the govt should set it up. In the absence of any other source perhaps the idea of getting government to step in is too easy a thought to come up with. Governments give away all types of tax credits and goodies to many players, why not more in this area. Perhaps set up some investment trusts located near top universities that might be good innovation incubators. I don't have a master plan Craig, just thinking out loud. If you don't like it fine. I'm just tired of the resource sector plans for govt money and benevolence. We need to diversify more.
AD

Post #3422 by AD » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:13 pm

I can't believe we get to choose between a vapid playboy and a leftie Israel lover as the alternative to Harper.

I still.. I still haven't come to terms with this.

Good thing the LPC has some decent bench strength. But damn.

Return to “bleetbloop”