the tendon-cy to retire is natural.
now with even more memorial.
chaosof99
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 4 times
Received rep: 14 times

Re: The HF Flyers Board Shrine of Idiocy 2

Post #1951 by chaosof99 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:52 pm

Just install an adblocker. That should take care of it.
Rogers Pancreas
Has given rep: 12 times
Received rep: 29 times

Post #1952 by Rogers Pancreas » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:59 pm

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... ?t=2208167

I laughed.

:donger:

Then, I saw that Clarke was on the ice for 12 more ESGA than Crosby... with over 500 games in hand.
His Satanic Majestic Request
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 43 times
Received rep: 16 times

Post #1953 by JLHockeyKnight » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:08 pm

Not from HF but boy have fun with this one folks.

Last game of the season

Someone needs to explain that whole concept that Rome wasn't built in a day.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #1954 by Rogers Pancreas » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:38 pm

STEVE MASON might have played his last game as a Flyer this weekend.

He's not the only one.

That's because, last month, Claude Giroux opened a door.

He admitted that his surgically repaired hip and abdomen hindered him through the first 60 games of the season. He admitted this March 19 as he explained his improved play over the previous 10 games, in which he had nine points and a plus-2 rating. He got seven more points and a plus-2 mark in the 11 games hence, a 21-game run of 16 points and a plus-4.

He'd managed just 42 points in the first 60 games and was minus-19. He'd lied about his health and effectiveness through 75 percent of the season and, with a worrisome history of concussions, he had virtually no trade value, since he would be owed almost $40 million through 2022.

If "G" was healthy and playing poorly, he was worthless at that price. He had faded.

If "G" was hurt and playing through it, he was heroic; and, if he regained his All-Star form he would be attractive for a team looking for a finishing piece. He has regained that form.

So, by admitting that he wasn't whole, he nudged a door open for general manager Ron Hextall and the Flyers' front office. He became tradeable again.

Unthinkable, right? Think again.

At this stage of the Flyers' rebuild they have to at least consider trading their captain. They don't have to shop him, and they don't have to kick him out of that door he opened, but they do have to listen if their phones ring.

Trading Giroux made the most sense in 2015, when the Flyers missed the playoffs and obviously were four or five years from postseason relevance. That door closed in 2016, when a concussion, a post-concussion scare and the surgeries turned Giroux into a scratch-and-dent Ferrari. He's purring like a kitten today.

The team remains at least two seasons and maybe one coach from a deep playoff run. Giroux would be 31 and in his 11th season. Every statistic indicates that, in this era, first-line production diminishes around that point in any career, especially if the team leans on that one player to carry its load.

Moving Giroux now opens up nearly $9 million per year for the next 4 years, even if the team has to use that money next season to overpay a replacement. The NHL cap is hard as a helmet, and the Flyers are always banging their heads.

It would take a playoff-caliber team approaching the Flyers with an expensive veteran with an expiring contract they want to dump, as well as a prospect or draft pick. That scenario would result in cap flexibility after next season, more young talent and modulated expectations.

Subtract Giroux, and the playoffs become a bonus, not an entitlement.

Subtract Giroux, and former college coach Dave Hakstol owns the room in his third NHL season.

Hextall has said he is disinclined to trade either Giroux or wing Jake Voracek. Also, Giroux has said he won't waive his no-movement clause.

All of that said: Giroux has a functioning brain. If his gray matter has evolved beyond goosing Canadian cops then he knows that this team is no closer to winning the Stanley Cup than it is to winning the Claret Jug. He might be comfortable as the latest face of the Bullies, but if he wants to drink from the chalice any time soon he'd better relocate.

Look, no one wants this to happen. Giroux has wonderful hands and great feet. He's got eyes in the back of his head, and on both sides, too. When he's 80 percent healthy he is a joy to watch; at 100 percent, he's a genius.

Why waste genius?

Next season the Flyers will have five or six players with three years' experience or less. Why watch Giroux's skills erode while the kids learn how to play? He's a magician on skates, but he isn't doing anything but card tricks until the cavalry arrives, if it ever does. And, frankly, he's never carried the team anywhere on his own. They haven't won a playoff series since he became captain, which was five seasons and three coaches ago.

The organization has a ready-made replacement as captain in Wayne Simmonds, an ascending All-Star who will cost them less than $10 million, total, for the next two seasons. Wouldn't it be nice to have cap room ready when the Wayne Train pulls its boxcars up to the vault?

If you contend that his leadership and his presence is too precious to lose, that's fair. If you contend that the team needs a star to fill seats and to drive viewership, that's valid, too. It's misdirected and it's foolish, but it's valid, nonetheless.

There's a chance that Hextall & Co. believe that they can construct a Stanley Cup contender around Giroux within the next two or three years. Hexy will give a peek into his thinking Wednesday, the day after the team disbands. He should indicate his intentions with Mason, the inconsistent No. 1 goalie who can be a free agent. He should also give a candid review regarding Giroux and Voracek, whose seasons were, by any measure, disappointing.

In particular, if Hextall says he believes he can build around G then he cannot entertain a trade. Of course, if Hextall & Co. believe they can build around a small center with an injury history who sometimes disappears, they won't last as long as Giroux.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/fly ... Hayes.html

Why waste genius.

Why. Waste. Genius.

:mumucide:
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 14 times
Received rep: 10 times

Post #1955 by Kilgore Trout » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:01 pm

Marcus Hayes is retarded, that's a fact.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 10 times
Received rep: 18 times

Post #1956 by DeadPhish » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:40 am

1. Marcus Hayes is an idiot who should be no where near covering hockey.

2. Some of the idiots on reddit are worse than HF.
dbr
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 1 time

Post #1957 by dbr » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:43 am

DeadPhish wrote:1. Marcus Hayes is an idiot who should be no where near covering hockey.

This is how I'd rank them, regarding idiotic comments:

1) Facebook
2) Reddit
3) HF
4) Hockeybuzz (only about 6 posters there)
I am certain there are other sites I've never heard of.
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 554 times
Received rep: 288 times

Post #1958 by vonbonds » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:06 am

Facebook is horrendous for sports banter no matter what team you support. I don't ever go to my favorite team pages there as it just hurts to read the comments. I also agree on Reddit being second worse. I love Reddit for tech, audiophile and other topics along those lines but the sports stuff is horrible.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 22 times
Received rep: 7 times

Post #1959 by GoneFullHextall » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:29 pm

dbr wrote:
DeadPhish wrote:1. Marcus Hayes is an idiot who should be no where near covering hockey.

This is how I'd rank them, regarding idiotic comments:

1) Facebook
2) Reddit
3) HF
4) Hockeybuzz (only about 6 posters there)
I am certain there are other sites I've never heard of.

there are plenty of special people on twitter as well. I used to be on there but I couldn't deal with the stupid anymore. not just in sports. But with everything.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #1960 by Rogers Pancreas » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:47 pm

It might sound blasphemous to suggest that the Flyers should part with Simmonds, but the very attributes that make him so beloved here - his leadership, his toughness, his scoring touch - would make him an attractive trade commodity. More important, he is signed just through 2019 at an annual cap hit of less than $4 million, which makes him less expensive than either Couturier (through 2022 at $4.3 million per) or Schenn (through 2020 at $5.125 million per).

The Flyers don't have to trade him, but they probably have to think about it. That's just facing the reality of the situation. That's just being honest.

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists ... elski.html

I hate this conversation. The blue-line is finally coming around, and we're going to jump back to 2012 all because this team couldn't produce. In spite of a defense whose best player was a 19-year old rookie straight out of the WHL. Provorov was an extremely good rookie, one of the best I've seen to date play for the Flyers, but Kimmo Timonen, Braydon Coburn, Chris Pronger, and Matt Carle this group was not.

Stupid ass-holes.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 3 times
Received rep: 12 times

Post #1961 by FlyHigh » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:03 pm

I really don't understand how Philly columnists have gone from "this Hextall rebuild is a good idea" to "trade everyone" within the space of a year or two.
jester
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 57 times

Post #1962 by jester » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:24 pm

Not sure that's a big shift for Sielski. I'd have to go back and look, though. The reality is that most of these writers have only passing awareness beyond the NHL roster.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 23 times
Received rep: 13 times

Post #1963 by CantSeeColors » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:33 am

They're aware of what sell papers and gets clicks. No more, no less

Edit: as to the merits of that article, Simmonds is probably going to age a lot better than Giroux or voracek. Even if he loses his wheels in his 30s, he can stand in front of the net and pit 20 goals in his sleep, knuble-style. He's the last guy I'm worried about trading
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 43 times
Received rep: 16 times

Post #1964 by JLHockeyKnight » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:52 am

CantSeeColors wrote:They're aware of what sell papers and gets clicks. No more, no less

Edit: as to the merits of that article, Simmonds is probably going to age a lot better than Giroux or voracek. Even if he loses his wheels in his 30s, he can stand in front of the net and pit 20 goals in his sleep, knuble-style. He's the last guy I'm worried about trading

I've caught articles on NJ.com eating up 800 MB of RAM on a single article. So much advertisements. One of the reasons I generally stick to NPR for my news.

And before anyone asks, I mainly read news at work, which means I'm forced to use IE11 with no adblocking software.
jester
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 57 times

Post #1965 by jester » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:59 pm

CantSeeColors wrote:They're aware of what sell papers and gets clicks. No more, no less

All three will likely age decently. Giroux will diminish some as he loses quick twitch ability, but his vision and passing likely ages reasonably well. Similar story for Voracek, who has the benefit of size.

It's the pure speed/skill goal scorers that really worry you.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #1966 by chaosof99 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:37 am

Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad

Post #1967 by Kilgore Trout » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:13 pm

That's one of the dumber things I've ever read.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 10 times
Received rep: 18 times

Post #1968 by DeadPhish » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:16 pm

Wow
Rogers Pancreas

Post #1969 by Rogers Pancreas » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:46 am

I mean the odds seem fine the way they are, just ****ed up the way it went imo.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... 75&page=15

This thread made my night, and possibly my weekend.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #1970 by chaosof99 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:44 am

Rogers Pancreas wrote:
I mean the odds seem fine the way they are, just ****ed up the way it went imo.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... 75&page=15

This thread made my night, and possibly my weekend.

I find it funny that a lot of people identify this draft as the result of the NHL overreacting to a statistically unlikely scenario (the Oilers winning the lottery so often) but don't realize that that thread in and of itself is also an overreaction to a statistically unlikely scenario. Then again, all of sports commentary is "overreactions to statistically unlikely scenarios".
Rogers Pancreas

Post #1971 by Rogers Pancreas » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:26 am

In other words, they should never have changed it in the first place. They made an already bad situation worse.. and then overreacted again and made it worse again.

GET RID OF THE LOTTERY!

:smuglanne:
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #1972 by chaosof99 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:33 am

Just reading a bit of the main board threads in the wake of the draft-lottery quasi-win. Some people are really off their rocker, particularly this gordie character. Most recently he claimed that none of the Flyers finals losses were "close" on the account that they lost to dynasty teams. Still a really weird thing to say considering that one was a game 7 and two others were game 6 OT.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #1973 by chaosof99 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:12 pm

There is currently a thread on the mainboard asking who the worst team was to win the Stanley Cup. The 2006 Hurricanes are getting a lot of votes to nobody's surprise really, but the Canes fans are really pissed at this. The best so far is a guy named Roboturner913 who has posted the following list to support his claim that the Canes are not the correct answer because they had more points (112) than these cup winners in the regular season

Once again, WITH GUSTO!!!! recent Cup winners who had less regular season points than the 06 Carolina Hurricanes (112):

16 Penguins (104)
15 Blackhakws (102)
14 Kings (100)
12 Kings (95)
11 Bruins (103)
10 Blackhawks (tie, 112)
09 Penguins (99)
07 Anaheim (110)
04 Tampa (106)
03 New Jersey (108)
00 New Jersey (103)
99 Colorado (98)
98 Detroit (103)
97 Detroit (94)
96 Colorado (104)

The issue is of course that regular season is not necesarily the best metric to determine quality as some lulls or injuries can reduce point totals, plus Carolina got extremely lucky by winning 28 one-goal games that season. More importantly however: Is this guy really trying to argue that the 2006 Hurricanes are better than any of those teams? Chicago's Dynasty? Detroit? Colorado? Crosby-led Penguins? A Ducks team with Pronger, Niedermayer and Selanne plus a very young up-and-coming core? Fucking Devils *spit*? Or the super-stacked Kings? Seriously?
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad

Post #1974 by Kilgore Trout » Mon May 15, 2017 4:55 pm

Come now, it's no small feat to pile up all those points in the consistently hyper-competitive Southeastern Division.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 8 times
Received rep: 12 times

Post #1975 by Hovercraft » Mon May 15, 2017 9:47 pm

The first year after the lockout too.
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 554 times
Received rep: 288 times

Post #1976 by vonbonds » Mon May 15, 2017 10:07 pm

Every team that wins the cup deserves it. I hate shit questions like that.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #1977 by chaosof99 » Tue May 16, 2017 2:24 am

Kilgore Trout wrote:Come now, it's no small feat to pile up all those points in the consistently hyper-competitive Southeastern Division.

That was actually a point raised in the thread, but apparently the Canes did not all that good against the southeast that year and did better for example against the atlantic division.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 22 times
Received rep: 7 times

Post #1978 by GoneFullHextall » Tue May 16, 2017 1:31 pm

to be the worst team to ever win a cup in recent memory is a bad thing?
My team hasn't won a Cup in 42 fucking years. My sympathy for any fanbase complaining about that is somewhere between zero and 10 below
Rogers Pancreas

Post #1979 by Rogers Pancreas » Thu May 18, 2017 6:50 pm

I don't have any respect for people that can't differentiate between power-play specialists and good all-around hockey players.

Why does this team suck? Because for 8 minutes a night they have a good chance of producing. The other 42 minutes... :donger:

Return to “The Eric Wellwood Memorial Forum”