the tendon-cy to retire is natural.
now with even more memorial.
jester
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 79 times

Re: OT Thread, NOT Obsequious 2

Post #6101 by jester » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:46 pm

CantSeeColors wrote:JUst finished watching Jessica jones. Daredevil was even better?

I never finished Daredevil, but the fighting was SIGNIFICANTLY better in Daredevil (largely because she sucked at doing the stunt work). That being said, Jessica Jones has a depth to it with the psychological trauma, etc. side that gives it a bit more heft than most of the Marvel universe can muster.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 40 times
Received rep: 11 times

Post #6102 by GoneFullHextall » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:01 pm

the drunk part of the story was a bit much at times, but not to the point where it came close to turning me off from JJ.
The tie in with Luke Cage was very well done. probably liked the JJ villain more than any of the others in the 4 series.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6103 by jester » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:10 pm

GoneFullHextall wrote:the drunk part of the story was a bit much at times, but not to the point where it came close to turning me off from JJ.
The tie in with Luke Cage was very well done. probably liked the JJ villain more than any of the others in the 4 series.

May have overdone it slightly, but at the same time ... it's a show about PTSD that just so happens to be a marvel show. And, yeah, the villain was phenomenal (good actor helps).
MP
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 151 times
Received rep: 316 times

Post #6104 by MP » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:31 pm

Any of you fine chaps interested in joining the Broads Keeper league? We're short one GM...
DeadPhish
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 20 times
Received rep: 29 times

Post #6105 by DeadPhish » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:30 pm

kindof
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad

Post #6106 by GoneFullHextall » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:27 am

is that a different league than the one I won last year or a different one?
I lost track of who is and who isn't in that league that is here.
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1127 times
Received rep: 543 times

Post #6107 by vonbonds » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:13 am

GoneFullHextall wrote:is that a different league than the one I won last year or a different one?

You won the league where I traded my 7th round pick to Vloo for nothing because I was too busy with work :pacman:
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 37 times
Received rep: 28 times

Post #6108 by CantSeeColors » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:21 pm

vonbonds wrote:
GoneFullHextall wrote:is that a different league than the one I won last year or a different one?

You won the league where I traded my 7th round pick to Vloo for nothing because I was too busy with work :pacman:

"Future considerations." Ask him for $5.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6109 by jester » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:12 pm

Friendly advice to all you parents or soon to be parents that will one day send off your child to college. Try to develop basic problem solving techniques. For example, if you do not know where a professor's office is, shoot him an email ... he will probably respond!
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad
Received rep: 14 times

Post #6110 by Kilgore Trout » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:16 pm

What alternative strategy did the kid adopt?
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6111 by jester » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:21 pm

Kilgore Trout wrote:What alternative strategy did the kid adopt?

Wander around campus 40+ minutes before sending me an email, and then showing up at my door 20 or so minutes later ...

He's trying to re-take a midterm exam that he missed, and never responded to my original email about scheduling him to take the exam.

Related sidenote: I've had more office hours visitors from this class halfway through the semester than in all previous courses I've taught combined. This is only notable because I generally find office hours to be a total waste of time in the email era.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 16 times
Received rep: 22 times

Post #6112 by Hovercraft » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:32 pm

Some Profs I work with will only answer student emails in their office hours too, so that students don't expect a response 24/7 when they are cramming last minute stuff.
dbr
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 11 times
Received rep: 2 times

Post #6113 by dbr » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:19 pm

Most profs I had in college wouldn’t offer the option to reschedule a midterm or final. That student should have emailed you back and considered them self lucky.
Rogers Pancreas
Has given rep: 24 times
Received rep: 66 times

Post #6114 by Rogers Pancreas » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:41 pm

None of my professors would have, short of a death of a sibling or parent. And I think there were a handful that wouldn't have bought off on that either.
His Satanic Majestic Request
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad

Post #6115 by Kilgore Trout » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:54 pm

I feel like office hours is generally pretty useless and really just a time for try hards to waste the professor's time proving how much they care.

Hovercraft wrote:Some Profs I work with will only answer student emails in their office hours too, so that students don't expect a response 24/7 when they are cramming last minute stuff.

This isn't always a deliberate strategy. For example, my father in law is a professor and, until about a year or two ago, he did not know how to check his email from his home computer and did not have a smart phone. So, he only answered emails during work hours, and intermittently on the weekends if he drove to the school to check email.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6116 by jester » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:50 pm

I actually think office hours are a big help *if the students that would benefit would actually take advantage*. That being said, it's just as easy to schedule a meeting as opposed to sitting in the office. Most students are either too shy or just don't give a shit, though.
dbr
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 11 times
Received rep: 2 times

Post #6117 by dbr » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:55 pm

If a student does come to your office hours and demonstrates he/she cares does that change your opinion of them as students?
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6118 by jester » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:25 pm

dbr wrote:If a student does come to your office hours and demonstrates he/she cares does that change your opinion of them as students?

Change opinion? No, because I try not to be too cynical towards them ... and, really, most "bad" grades stem from lack of effort as opposed to intelligence. For example, one of the courses I'm teaching ... literally no one is doing the reading, and they're all fucking their grade with participation.

That being said, coming to office hours, "making me know who you are" after class, etc. are all smart strategies to help you out in the end. In so far as it humanizes you, it helps you get maybe that little grade boost if you're on the edge. Of course, I have a grad student grading one of my courses ... so those kids are fucked.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6119 by jester » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:37 am

Fortnite is simultaneously the most fun and most frustrating game I have played in a long time.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #6120 by Rogers Pancreas » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:43 pm

George Clooney was in Return of the Killer Tomatoes... and he's never been better.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad
Received rep: 29 times

Post #6121 by DeadPhish » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:49 pm

Congrats (again) JL!!!!
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6122 by jester » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:39 pm

DeadPhish wrote:Congrats (again) JL!!!!

What happened?
Sweet Dee
Registered Broad
Received rep: 16 times

Post #6123 by Sweet Dee » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:39 am

#2!

Congrats JL :)
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 64 times
Received rep: 31 times

Post #6124 by JLHockeyKnight » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:37 pm

Thanks guys! Sorry, I announced it on Facebook Saturday evening, both my wife and I have been sick so it's been a rough 48 hours, hadn't had a chance to say it here.

Anywho, my wife is pregnant. Baby #2 on the way in May 2018.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6125 by jester » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:02 pm

JLHockeyKnight wrote:Thanks guys! Sorry, I announced it on Facebook Saturday evening, both my wife and I have been sick so it's been a rough 48 hours, hadn't had a chance to say it here.

Anywho, my wife is pregnant. Baby #2 on the way in May 2018.

Congrats! Degree of difficulty goes up substantially, early warning.
chaosof99
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 6 times
Received rep: 17 times

Post #6126 by chaosof99 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:43 am

Congrats!
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad

Post #6127 by GoneFullHextall » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:18 pm

congrats JL!
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #6128 by JLHockeyKnight » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:11 pm

Thanks folks. Yeah I'm expecting the difficulty. I've seen my buddy have 3 and another has 2 and they've managed to survive thus far.
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad

Post #6129 by Kilgore Trout » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:49 pm

One is very difficult.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #6130 by chaosof99 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:48 pm

On Tuesday america got a little less unfucked by not putting a guy stalking teenagers at the mall into congress (though considering he was kicked from a State Supreme Court twice before it is rather irritating he was in a position to be in congress to begin with, or the fact that such a blatant racist, homophobic asshole got to be on a State Supreme Court).

Today America got a lot more fucked with the repeal of net neutrality, which is pure insanity to me. Blatant money-grabbing over the will of the people. Hopefully Schneiderman can prevail in court and hopefully in 2019, after the Democrats pretty much sweep the 2018 midterm elections, Net Neutrality will be enshrined into law.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #6131 by JLHockeyKnight » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:12 pm

chaosof99 wrote:On Tuesday america got a little less unfucked by not putting a guy stalking teenagers at the mall into congress (though considering he was kicked from a State Supreme Court twice before it is rather irritating he was in a position to be in congress to begin with, or the fact that such a blatant racist, homophobic asshole got to be on a State Supreme Court).

Today America got a lot more fucked with the repeal of net neutrality, which is pure insanity to me. Blatant money-grabbing over the will of the people. Hopefully Schneiderman can prevail in court and hopefully in 2019, after the Democrats pretty much sweep the 2018 midterm elections, Net Neutrality will be enshrined into law.

Jesus, I think this Austrian knows more about what's going on with American politics than EASILY 50% of Americans.

(not complaining)
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad

Post #6132 by Kilgore Trout » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:07 pm

You too would pay attention if your far right had bona fide Nazis, rather than dudes in boat shoes waving citronella tiki torches.
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 22 times
Received rep: 40 times

Post #6133 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:39 pm

Impossible to talk politics now days sadly. It just turns into ww3 with somebody being called a racist or some other idiotic slur.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #6134 by chaosof99 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:47 am

Kilgore Trout wrote:You too would pay attention if your far right had bona fide Nazis, rather than dudes in boat shoes waving citronella tiki torches.

What frustrates me is that you guys also have bona fide Nazis. Among these Tiki toch morons are their organizers who are actively trying to create a race war. Their explicit goal is to bring about a white supremacist rule, and they would exterminate anyone that they deem not worthy living in their country if they were allowed to. We have unfortunately seen what these assholes would do, that this isn't just some hard-right political philosophy but the advocacy of murder as a political tool, and that is why Nazis are fucking outlawed in my country.

In the U.S. the Nazis are kept in check by four sources: The media, the police, the courts, and the voters. And that's why they label sources that disagree with them such as the New York Times "liberal mainstream media", why they set up propaganda like Fox News and talk radio, and flee into their social media bubbles; that's why they infiltrate the police forces, are excusing police brutality against minorities, and are currently actively undermining organizations like the FBI; that's why they label judges "activist" when they rule against them and are trying to seed the courts with judges that are sympathetic to them; that's why they are engaging in all sorts of voter suppression including gerrymandering, intimidation, id laws, etc.

And you fuckers are standing by and watch it.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6135 by jester » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:12 am

chaosof99 wrote:
Kilgore Trout wrote:You too would pay attention if your far right had bona fide Nazis, rather than dudes in boat shoes waving citronella tiki torches.

What frustrates me is that you guys also have bona fide Nazis. Among these Tiki toch morons are their organizers who are actively trying to create a race war. Their explicit goal is to bring about a white supremacist rule, and they would exterminate anyone that they deem not worthy living in their country if they were allowed to. We have unfortunately seen what these assholes would do, that this isn't just some hard-right political philosophy but the advocacy of murder as a political tool, and that is why Nazis are fucking outlawed in my country.

In the U.S. the Nazis are kept in check by four sources: The media, the police, the courts, and the voters. And that's why they label sources that disagree with them such as the New York Times "liberal mainstream media", why they set up propaganda like Fox News and talk radio, and flee into their social media bubbles; that's why they infiltrate the police forces, are excusing police brutality against minorities, and are currently actively undermining organizations like the FBI; that's why they label judges "activist" when they rule against them and are trying to seed the courts with judges that are sympathetic to them; that's why they are engaging in all sorts of voter suppression including gerrymandering, intimidation, id laws, etc.

And you fuckers are standing by and watch it.

Just checking into this thread and saw this ... you are blowing up white supremacists in the US to a much larger degree than they actually deserve. Conservatives writ large are engaging in a lot of the activities you are describing, and your run-of-the-mill GOP voter/pol is not a white supremacist. They may have retrograde views on race relations, etc., but their just like my in-laws (FNC viewers and all that).

White supremacist groups in the US are a very vocal, but fringy minority group. The Trump campaign and presidency has emboldened them a good bit with the alt-right gaining prominence, but their numbers remain pretty damn small and they lack real power. Now, that does not mean they should be ignored ... but it does mean that we don't need to blow them up into something they are not, nor does it mean that we should paint with such a broad brush. The GOP certainly has ignored the problem of racism within its ranks and pandered to it with coded language, but they're not Nazis.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6136 by jester » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:13 am

In other news, I ordered reading glasses today. Don't let anyone tell you that there are not physical costs to liberal arts graduate school.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #6137 by chaosof99 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:42 am

Yup, they lack real power. Only the highest office in the land is being held by a guy who is actively surrounding himself with white supremacists, who campaigned on and is attempting straight white supremacist policies such as the heinous immigration laws, the horrendous activities by ICE, and the undermining of the free press at every turn.

Of course not every member of the GOP or their voter is a white supremacist, but as you mentioned yourself they are very much willing to just ignore the problem, and then it's too late. You want to get ants? Because that is how you get ants.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6138 by jester » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:17 am

chaosof99 wrote:Yup, they lack real power. Only the highest office in the land is being held by a guy who is actively surrounding himself with white supremacists, who campaigned on and is attempting straight white supremacist policies such as the heinous immigration laws, the horrendous activities by ICE, and the undermining of the free press at every turn.

Trump panders to white supremacists, but he's just a run-of-the-mill racist, not a white supremacist. He's just an idiot, and wanted to win. Moreover, there's a big difference between being a anti-immigration, for example, and white supremacists. You know who historically is anti-immigrant in the US? Immigrant populations. Undermining free press ... not unique to white supremacists.

Additionally, if you actually bother to look at the makeup of Trump's government the folks that you might accuse of casual white supremacy are a slender group ... particularly when it comes to the higher echelons. Jeff Sessions is about it. Stephen Miller is a nice target, but he doesn't have truly meaningful power.

A lot of what you are citing here is the shitty shit that conservative political ideology has gravitated towards in recent years. And, yes, there's a great deal of white identity politics and grievance that tinges that, but that's not necessarily "white supremacy." White supremacy is an overt ideology. Rural, white America feeling the pinch of the post-industrial economy and globalization and reacting to that is as much about class as it is race. As ever, there's a lot of crossover and overlap there.

Of course not every member of the GOP or their voter is a white supremacist, but as you mentioned yourself they are very much willing to just ignore the problem, and then it's too late. You want to get ants? Because that is how you get ants.

Chaos ... these people are a miniscule but noisy minority. This isn't the Weimar Republic of the 1920s. And we will always have ants. That's the price of a free and open heterogeneous society.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 15 times

Post #6139 by FlyHigh » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:12 am

I'm not sure why there's the need to draw a fine line between "racism" and "white supremacy." They're both completely toxic and both elements are quite present in Republican Party politics right now. And I'm sure that people like McConnell/Ryan and the folks in the White House aren't "white supremacists" in the traditional sense of the term, but if they're willing to stand by while the government targets black/brown people (just an example, but what's going on with DACA is beyond reprehensible), what exactly does that make them?

Sure, the guys waving torches are a noisy minority, but they're getting a lot of what they want right now.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6140 by jester » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:33 am

FlyHigh wrote:I'm not sure why there's the need to draw a fine line between "racism" and "white supremacy." They're both completely toxic and both elements are quite present in Republican Party politics right now. And I'm sure that people like McConnell/Ryan and the folks in the White House aren't "white supremacists" in the traditional sense of the term, but if they're willing to stand by while the government targets black/brown people (just an example, but what's going on with DACA is beyond reprehensible), what exactly does that make them?

Sure, the guys waving torches are a noisy minority, but they're getting a lot of what they want right now.

White supremacy is a political ideology *built* upon racist ideology. Key to that is that white supremacy marries white *nationalism* (which usually does, but need not be explicitly racist) with racism.

Meanwhile, racism can be apolitical in nature, and just indicative of the fact that you're an asshole. Moreover, it is difficult to define the contemporary conservative ideology as overtly racist in nature. Trumpism has stronger elements, but it is difficult to define a coherent ideology with Trump beyond white identity politics ... which, again, is not white supremacy per se.

So, yeah, we need to draw lines. My grandfather born in 1916 Baltimore had some racism in him. He was not a white supremacist.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 15 times

Post #6141 by FlyHigh » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:43 pm

Eh, to me this is pretty close to being an exercise in splitting hairs. If you are a white person that is "racist" (in the contemporary meaning of the term) in 2018, it's not much of a jump to "white supremacy." Your grandpa also grew up in a society where "white supremacy" was the default state of affairs.

Trump and co. are deporting people because they're brown, even if those people are essentially Americans. To me that basically equals "white supremacy" because we're saying that you need to leave because you're not white (if these people were Canadian does anybody seriously think they'd be deported?). It's also a bit scary to consider that if Trump said he wanted to round up brown people and put them in camps, I'm not sure how much resistance there would be from Republican leaders or the party at large. We're already into/beyond Nixon territory and there are no signs of institutionalized Republican pushback.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6142 by jester » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:35 pm

FlyHigh wrote:Eh, to me this is pretty close to being an exercise in splitting hairs. If you are a white person that is "racist" (in the contemporary meaning of the term) in 2018, it's not much of a jump to "white supremacy." Your grandpa also grew up in a society where "white supremacy" was the default state of affairs.

White supremacy has not been the default state of affairs since the Civil War. Obviously plenty of racists and racism and white supremacists, but you are playing fast and loose with terminology here. Particularly if you get into the specifics of what those folks want to accomplish.

Trump and co. are deporting people because they're brown, even if those people are essentially Americans. To me that basically equals "white supremacy" because we're saying that you need to leave because you're not white (if these people were Canadian does anybody seriously think they'd be deported?). It's also a bit scary to consider that if Trump said he wanted to round up brown people and put them in camps, I'm not sure how much resistance there would be from Republican leaders or the party at large. We're already into/beyond Nixon territory and there are no signs of institutionalized Republican pushback.

That's not remotely close to white supremacy. In fact, it basically makes the term meaningless. Someone that believes in stringent immigration policy may very well be racist, but there is a big jump to what white supremacist/nationalists want (mass deportation of all non-whites without regard to citizenship status).
Rogers Pancreas

Post #6143 by Rogers Pancreas » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:09 pm

jester wrote:Chaos ... these people are a miniscule but noisy minority. This isn't the Weimar Republic of the 1920s. And we will always have ants. That's the price of a free and open heterogeneous society.

You know how I know you work in academia, jester? Because you believe that to be true.

This country has a few dozen cities that actively cultivate culture diversity. Everything in between is an unhealthy mixture of fear and intolerance.

Case in point (click counties): https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/president
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad

Post #6144 by Kilgore Trout » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:42 pm

Rogers Pancreas wrote:
Case in point (click counties)

I won't click. That would make me sad.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6145 by jester » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:36 pm

Rogers Pancreas wrote:
jester wrote:Chaos ... these people are a miniscule but noisy minority. This isn't the Weimar Republic of the 1920s. And we will always have ants. That's the price of a free and open heterogeneous society.

You know how I know you work in academia, jester? Because you believe that to be true.

This country has a few dozen cities that actively cultivate culture diversity. Everything in between is an unhealthy mixture of fear and intolerance.

Case in point (click counties): https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/president

Partisanship and the appeal of populism do not equate to white supremacism, RP. Equating the two is elevating the norm to an extreme, and decreasing an extreme to a norm. The folks that showed up at Charlottesville are not the norm.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-many- ... ica-really

There's a yawning gap between casual social/cultural racism and white identity politics ... and white supremacists. And the urban/rural cultural division has been true for centuries ... I'm acutely aware of it.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #6146 by Hovercraft » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:13 pm

The bottom line is that Trump and the GOP are allowing racism, white supremacy and misogyny to be normalized and grow again. They are giving the scum of the earth the confidence to come out from under their rocks and feel comfortable with their hate fueled opinions.

The average US racist maybe isn't a white supremacist in practice,as in they dont go to KKK/charlottsville rallies but they do believe in most of the principles of white supremacy.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad

Post #6147 by GoneFullHextall » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:26 pm

yep. I work with folks like that and of course they deny they are racists even tho they have no issue dropping racist language when given the chance.
speaking of racist scum, it was good to see Jack Tapper not put up with Steve Millers bullshit the other night. good for him. people like Miller need to go back under that slime filled rock underbelly and stay there.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6148 by jester » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:31 pm

Hovercraft wrote:The bottom line is that Trump and the GOP are allowing racism, white supremacy and misogyny to be normalized and grow again. They are giving the scum of the earth the confidence to come out from under their rocks and feel comfortable with their hate fueled opinions.

The average US racist maybe isn't a white supremacist in practice,as in they dont go to KKK/charlottsville rallies but they do believe in most of the principles of white supremacy.

No, they don't. Latent/casual racism is widespread. White supremacist ideology is not.

This is not to minimize the very real problems with Trump and co. But white supremacy is a very specific ideological strain. Joe baby boomer GOP voter that marinates in FNC BS very likely holds some views we might label as racist. It's a big leap from racist thinking to believing in state sponsored racial discrimination and/or ethnic cleansing of sovereign territory. The latter parts are *necessary* components of white supremacist ideology, and not wanting black people in your country club or neighborhood don't meet the threshold. Nor, more commonly, does buying into racist stereotypes, etc.

Those folks are guilty of a lot of things (ignorance chief among them), but let's not start acting like they are hidden members of the NSDAP. They ignore signs of systemic racism, are ambivalent about how historical circumstances have shaped community circumstances, tend to be xenophobic and jingoist, etc.

And before we go too far in thinking Trump is a growth industry for these groups. He certainly has given them cover to come out in the open, but the resulting push back has been intense and the GOP is facing an election year where they may get devastated ... in part due to the fact that Trump is a historically unpopular president.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6149 by jester » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:39 pm

GoneFullHextall wrote:yep. I work with folks like that and of course they deny they are racists even tho they have no issue dropping racist language when given the chance.
speaking of racist scum, it was good to see Jack Tapper not put up with Steve Millers bullshit the other night. good for him. people like Miller need to go back under that slime filled rock underbelly and stay there.

New England has a long and ugly racist history that not too many are aware of nationally. Boston, in particular.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #6150 by Hovercraft » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:25 pm

jester wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:The bottom line is that Trump and the GOP are allowing racism, white supremacy and misogyny to be normalized and grow again. They are giving the scum of the earth the confidence to come out from under their rocks and feel comfortable with their hate fueled opinions.

No, they don't. Latent/casual racism is widespread. White supremacist ideology is not.

This is not to minimize the very real problems with Trump and co. But white supremacy is a very specific ideological strain. Joe baby boomer GOP voter that marinates in FNC BS very likely holds some views we might label as racist. It's a big leap from racist thinking to believing in state sponsored racial discrimination and/or ethnic cleansing of sovereign territory. The latter parts are *necessary* components of white supremacist ideology, and not wanting black people in your country club or neighborhood don't meet the threshold. Nor, more commonly, does buying into racist stereotypes, etc.

Those folks are guilty of a lot of things (ignorance chief among them), but let's not start acting like they are hidden members of the NSDAP. They ignore signs of systemic racism, are ambivalent about how historical circumstances have shaped community circumstances, tend to be xenophobic and jingoist, etc.

And before we go too far in thinking Trump is a growth industry for these groups. He certainly has given them cover to come out in the open, but the resulting push back has been intense and the GOP is facing an election year where they may get devastated ... in part due to the fact that Trump is a historically unpopular president.

State sponsored racial discrimination, like a travel ban on brown people or building a wall to keep out mexicans? Trump's base jizzes their pants over ideas like those. It's more than just average racism, it's pure hatred of anyone who doesn't look like them. Recent incidents like these(below) originate from more than just racism. We can split hairs over the definition of white supremacy in 2018 vs 1939 but the bottom line is there is a real problem in the US.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Olat ... s_shooting , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Port ... ain_attack

and Chaos, Austria isn't immune to this kind of crap recently either(and neither is Canada) : http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 47371.html . People wishing a baby would die of crib death just because it happens to be muslim/brown.

Hopefully Jester is right and the blow back from Trump and co will cause a major shift back towards the left globally

Return to “The Eric Wellwood Memorial Forum”