Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

the tendon-cy to retire is natural.
now with even more memorial.
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 8416
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 29 times
Received rep: 30 times
Contact:

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1201 by Hovercraft » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:23 pm

Ugh Laughton come on. So unnecessary
User avatar
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad
Posts: 6629
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:49 pm
Has given rep: 43 times
Received rep: 11 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1202 by GoneFullHextall » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:25 pm

this team is dumb
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 8416
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 29 times
Received rep: 30 times
Contact:

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1203 by Hovercraft » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:27 pm

Remember when we were a disciplined team?
User avatar
Rogers Pancreas
Posts: 10551
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:00 am
Location: New York
Has given rep: 34 times
Received rep: 85 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1204 by Rogers Pancreas » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:27 pm

Pull your heads. Out of your butts. Or lose the game.

It's pretty straight-forward.
His Satanic Majestic Request
User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7550
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 28 times
Received rep: 51 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1205 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:28 pm

Very disciplined game coming out from the Flyers, glad they kept their cool after they dominated that first period even if they didn't get a goal.
User avatar
chaosof99
Registered Broad
Posts: 9686
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:00 pm
Has given rep: 6 times
Received rep: 22 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1206 by chaosof99 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:28 pm

And Jake doing just even worse...
User avatar
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad
Posts: 6629
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:49 pm
Has given rep: 43 times
Received rep: 11 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1207 by GoneFullHextall » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:30 pm

keep your stick down asshats
User avatar
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad
Posts: 6629
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:49 pm
Has given rep: 43 times
Received rep: 11 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1208 by GoneFullHextall » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:30 pm

play stupid games, get the stupid reward.
User avatar
Rogers Pancreas
Posts: 10551
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:00 am
Location: New York
Has given rep: 34 times
Received rep: 85 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1209 by Rogers Pancreas » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:31 pm

"I'm not sure what Jori Lehtera was doing..."

Welcome to the club.
His Satanic Majestic Request
User avatar
Rogers Pancreas
Posts: 10551
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:00 am
Location: New York
Has given rep: 34 times
Received rep: 85 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1210 by Rogers Pancreas » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:37 pm

You're dumb, Gudas. Shut your hole, and head to the showers, you plug.
His Satanic Majestic Request
User avatar
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad
Posts: 6629
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:49 pm
Has given rep: 43 times
Received rep: 11 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1211 by GoneFullHextall » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:44 pm

Pittsburgh is faster in every area of the ice. The Flyers have been caught flat footed more than once as this game went along and have paid the price. lazy stick fouls.
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 8416
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 29 times
Received rep: 30 times
Contact:

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1212 by Hovercraft » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:48 pm

I'm guessing we'll see Weal in for Lindblom next game. Lindblom has been moved to 4th line, Konecny with Patrick and Voracek. Laughton with Flip and Simmonds.
User avatar
Rogers Pancreas
Posts: 10551
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:00 am
Location: New York
Has given rep: 34 times
Received rep: 85 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1213 by Rogers Pancreas » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:53 pm

That was one of the worst pre-season games I have ever laid eyes on.
His Satanic Majestic Request
User avatar
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad
Posts: 6629
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:49 pm
Has given rep: 43 times
Received rep: 11 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1214 by GoneFullHextall » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:01 pm

probably some lineup changes are going to happen. and also stop being stupid.
User avatar
dbr
Registered Broad
Posts: 8463
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:16 pm
Has given rep: 19 times
Received rep: 3 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1215 by dbr » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:56 am

Hak gonna Hak
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 8416
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 29 times
Received rep: 30 times
Contact:

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1216 by Hovercraft » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:07 am

New lines:


I like Weal coming in, too bad Lindblom is the scratch but he hasn't been playing well anyway. Lehtera and the 4th line have actually been decent. Hopefully Hak rides the top 6 hard, because I don't think Weal-Flip-Raffl can handle big minutes.
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 8416
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 29 times
Received rep: 30 times
Contact:

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1217 by Hovercraft » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:10 pm

Ugh bad news:



Collision with Gudas. Guess we can't go 1 year without Couturier getting hurt in the playoffs. At least the game isn't tonight.



Such a stupid play by Gudas. Took Couturier's knee out.


Looks like pens have some injuries too:
User avatar
chaosof99
Registered Broad
Posts: 9686
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:00 pm
Has given rep: 6 times
Received rep: 22 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1218 by chaosof99 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:03 pm

Whelp, we are fucked.
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4856
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 20 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1219 by FlyHigh » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:06 pm

That video....does not look great.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Posts: 4819
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:44 am
Has given rep: 44 times
Received rep: 32 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1220 by CantSeeColors » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:49 pm

Time for a Morgan Frost emergency recall. Let's get weird.
User avatar
Rogers Pancreas
Posts: 10551
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:00 am
Location: New York
Has given rep: 34 times
Received rep: 85 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1221 by Rogers Pancreas » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:41 pm

*sigh*

Gudas... why, man? Just... why?
His Satanic Majestic Request
MiD
Registered Broad
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:49 am
Has given rep: 28 times
Received rep: 7 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1222 by MiD » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:02 pm

Rogers Pancreas wrote:*sigh*Gudas... why, man? Just... why?

because asshole from coaching staff send him pass in Couts path
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Posts: 4819
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:44 am
Has given rep: 44 times
Received rep: 32 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1223 by CantSeeColors » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:19 pm

MiD wrote:
Rogers Pancreas wrote:*sigh*Gudas... why, man? Just... why?

because asshole from coaching staff send him pass in Couts path

Yeah, gudas was looking the other way doing some other drill. Not his fault
User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7550
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 28 times
Received rep: 51 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1224 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:56 pm

Gudas turns his head to the right but it's pretty obvious he didn't see Couturier.

CantSeeColors wrote:Time for a Morgan Frost emergency recall. Let's get weird.

I can get behind this. If I kill both of our "goalies" can we throw Hart in the cage?
User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7550
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 28 times
Received rep: 51 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1225 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 am

I can imagine what half the team was thinking when they heard that loud noise "Fuckin Radko"

User avatar
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Posts: 13264
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:47 pm
Has given rep: 1544 times
Received rep: 715 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1226 by vonbonds » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:32 pm

Image
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4856
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 20 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1227 by FlyHigh » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:18 pm

Watching Manning get dusted in the neutral zone and then completely screw up on that PK goal...not great Bob!
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 8416
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 29 times
Received rep: 30 times
Contact:

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1228 by Hovercraft » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:23 pm

Flip two giveaways on his first shift and Manning is useless.
User avatar
Sweet Dee
Registered Broad
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:45 pm
Location: Maple Shade, NJ
Has given rep: 11 times
Received rep: 16 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1229 by Sweet Dee » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:32 pm

I don’t know which one of these teams I hate more right now.
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4856
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 20 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1230 by FlyHigh » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:33 pm

Not that everything is his fault, but Elliott has been flat-out unable to make any kind of timely save outside of Game 2, that puck has to stay out.
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 8416
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 29 times
Received rep: 30 times
Contact:

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1231 by Hovercraft » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:34 pm

After 5 minutes of dominant play by the flyers, Elliot can't make 1 save....
User avatar
DeadPhish
Registered Broad
Posts: 4108
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:14 pm
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 30 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1232 by DeadPhish » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:41 pm

We will see if now is when they give up, or when its 3-0.
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4856
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 20 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1233 by FlyHigh » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:31 pm

Dunno if I’ve seen a team flat-out quit like this for quite a while, yikes, feel bad for the folks that bought tickets.
User avatar
Rogers Pancreas
Posts: 10551
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:00 am
Location: New York
Has given rep: 34 times
Received rep: 85 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1234 by Rogers Pancreas » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:19 pm

As it stands, we're going to lose 65 games of Brandon Manning, 39 games of Taylor Leier, 19 games of Matt Read, 17 games of Mrazek and 81 games of Filppula this upcoming offseason. And that's without getting into the rapidly expiring contracts of Lehtera (62 games), MacDonald (66 games), Elliott (43 games), and Neuvirth (22 games). So, as far as on-ice personnel goes, we have plenty of room for improvement.
His Satanic Majestic Request
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 8416
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 29 times
Received rep: 30 times
Contact:

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1235 by Hovercraft » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:44 am

I'm so tired of seeing Macdonald on the blueline for us. I would love it if we waived/got rid of Manning, Macdonald, Flipulla, Lehtera, Read, Elliot, Gudas and even Simmonds at this point. They bring nothing positive to our lineup.
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4856
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 20 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1236 by FlyHigh » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:19 am

Saw someone say that Brian Dumoulin is who the Flyers think MacDonald and Manning are, which pretty much sums it up.

Still a little taken aback by last night’s game, obviously they shouldn’t have been favored, but they just gave up in the 2nd, that was painful.
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 8416
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 29 times
Received rep: 30 times
Contact:

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1237 by Hovercraft » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:33 am

FlyHigh wrote:Saw someone say that Brian Dumoulin is who the Flyers think MacDonald and Manning are, which pretty much sums it up.

Still a little taken aback by last night’s game, obviously they shouldn’t have been favored, but they just gave up in the 2nd, that was painful.


They had those 3 or 4 shits in a row where they looked incredible but they didn't score and then Sanheim made a bad pinch and Elliot couldn't make the save on the 2 on 1. Team was dead inside after that, and then died again after the Simmonds slash on the PP.
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 17463
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 95 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1238 by jester » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:19 am

Hovercraft wrote:I'm so tired of seeing Macdonald on the blueline for us. I would love it if we waived/got rid of Manning, Macdonald, Flipulla, Lehtera, Read, Elliot, Gudas and even Simmonds at this point. They bring nothing positive to our lineup.


Simmonds remains a very good PP player, and an effective energy guy. But he's never been great at even strength.

Gudas needs to play a slightly lower role, and I assume Manning is gone after this year. The big problem is that neither Morin or Myers got the season they were hoping for.
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 8416
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 29 times
Received rep: 30 times
Contact:

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1239 by Hovercraft » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:36 am

jester wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:I'm so tired of seeing Macdonald on the blueline for us. I would love it if we waived/got rid of Manning, Macdonald, Flipulla, Lehtera, Read, Elliot, Gudas and even Simmonds at this point. They bring nothing positive to our lineup.


Simmonds remains a very good PP player, and an effective energy guy. But he's never been great at even strength.

Gudas needs to play a slightly lower role, and I assume Manning is gone after this year. The big problem is that neither Morin or Myers got the season they were hoping for.


I am curious to see what kind of injury Simmonds is nursing, but he just feels very expendable with Patrick and Konecny moving forward. We could cash in for some picks or young players before he wants a 7mil+ deal.

Provorov and Ghost have been pretty awful this series. Hopefully they can grow from it.


This is just too Hak:

Just leave Patrick there or put Giroux at C. Don't promote someone who was already in over his head as #2C... Patrick was one of our only players who game out to play yesterday.
User avatar
Rogers Pancreas
Posts: 10551
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:00 am
Location: New York
Has given rep: 34 times
Received rep: 85 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1240 by Rogers Pancreas » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Hovercraft wrote:
jester wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:I'm so tired of seeing Macdonald on the blueline for us. I would love it if we waived/got rid of Manning, Macdonald, Flipulla, Lehtera, Read, Elliot, Gudas and even Simmonds at this point. They bring nothing positive to our lineup.


Simmonds remains a very good PP player, and an effective energy guy. But he's never been great at even strength.

Gudas needs to play a slightly lower role, and I assume Manning is gone after this year. The big problem is that neither Morin or Myers got the season they were hoping for.


I am curious to see what kind of injury Simmonds is nursing, but he just feels very expendable with Patrick and Konecny moving forward. We could cash in for some picks or young players before he wants a 7mil+ deal.

Provorov and Ghost have been pretty awful this series. Hopefully they can grow from it.

Acquiring more depth, and more experience (for everyone) should help out in that regard. They should also be split up to allow coaching to better utilize match-ups.
His Satanic Majestic Request
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 8416
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 29 times
Received rep: 30 times
Contact:

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1241 by Hovercraft » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:10 pm



Maybe we can score a couple goals next game and only lose a close game tomorrow?


Also looks like Sanheim is being scratched for Hagg.

Pairings in practice:
Hagg-Ghost
Provorov-Macdonald
Manning-Gudas


1 bad pinch gets Sanheim scratched, Looking like an AHL player every night keeps Manning in the lineup.

Forward lines:
Giroux-Flip-Voracek
Lindblom-Patrick-Konecny
Read-Lehtera-Simmonds (Fugly line)
Raffl-Laughton-Weal

Hak's personnel decisions are laughable.
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4856
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 20 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1242 by FlyHigh » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:38 pm

This really highlights my biggest issue with Hak. As good as he is at some things, if you watch the first 4 games of this series and go "Travis Sanheim is the problem", I honestly question what you are seeing.

I mean, if you have guys that won't make Sanheim's mistakes that are actually good at other things, then go for it, but Manning/Hagg/Macdonald are not those guys.
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 8416
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 29 times
Received rep: 30 times
Contact:

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1243 by Hovercraft » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:48 pm

Sanheim has been on the ice for 1 goal against all series, and it was that bad pinch last night that Elliot let leak through him. I'm all for Hagg getting some playing time, we could use his physicality but it should 100% be Manning who comes out first. He looked like a peewee player on the PK last night flailing his stick around.
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 17463
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 95 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1244 by jester » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:05 pm

Hovercraft wrote:I am curious to see what kind of injury Simmonds is nursing, but he just feels very expendable with Patrick and Konecny moving forward. We could cash in for some picks or young players before he wants a 7mil+ deal.


I don't think Simmonds is going to get anything close to 7M if that's what you're saying ...

I think they should think long and hard about moving Simmonds this offseason if they can swing a Schenn type deal. Patrick's effectiveness with the first unit (small sample, admittedly) definitely makes him expendable. This is particularly true given the already stated point that his value primarily derives from the PP, and we could theoretically upgrade ES play (and have a bit more money to play with in free agency).

On that front, I am curious how aggressive Hextall wants to be ... and whether a big upgrade on D is something they will consider. Do you go after a Karlsson in a trade? Eklund (for whatever he's worth given his lack of filter) is saying he heard the King's may consider moving Doughty for a haul. Depending on the type of deals either might want in extensions, it may be worth it to bring in a high-end stud to take a bit of the burden off Provorov ... and helped by the fact that Ghost is on a pretty friendly extension.
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 8416
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 29 times
Received rep: 30 times
Contact:

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1245 by Hovercraft » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:13 pm

jester wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:I am curious to see what kind of injury Simmonds is nursing, but he just feels very expendable with Patrick and Konecny moving forward. We could cash in for some picks or young players before he wants a 7mil+ deal.


I don't think Simmonds is going to get anything close to 7M if that's what you're saying ...

I think they should think long and hard about moving Simmonds this offseason if they can swing a Schenn type deal. Patrick's effectiveness with the first unit (small sample, admittedly) definitely makes him expendable. This is particularly true given the already stated point that his value primarily derives from the PP, and we could theoretically upgrade ES play (and have a bit more money to play with in free agency).

On that front, I am curious how aggressive Hextall wants to be ... and whether a big upgrade on D is something they will consider. Do you go after a Karlsson in a trade? Eklund (for whatever he's worth given his lack of filter) is saying he heard the King's may consider moving Doughty for a haul. Depending on the type of deals either might want in extensions, it may be worth it to bring in a high-end stud to take a bit of the burden off Provorov ... and helped by the fact that Ghost is on a pretty friendly extension.


Maybe 7mil is an exaggeration but Simmonds will likely get ~6mil. Looking at Lucic, Ladd etc as recent UFA deals for power forward types. I think we can definitely get a Schenn type deal from a western conference team for Simmonds.

I hope Hextall at least asks about Karlsson/Doughty. Every single GM should at least entertain bringing in guys of that caliber.
User avatar
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Posts: 13264
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:47 pm
Has given rep: 1544 times
Received rep: 715 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1246 by vonbonds » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:22 pm

Hovercraft wrote:
jester wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:I am curious to see what kind of injury Simmonds is nursing, but he just feels very expendable with Patrick and Konecny moving forward. We could cash in for some picks or young players before he wants a 7mil+ deal.


I don't think Simmonds is going to get anything close to 7M if that's what you're saying ...

I think they should think long and hard about moving Simmonds this offseason if they can swing a Schenn type deal. Patrick's effectiveness with the first unit (small sample, admittedly) definitely makes him expendable. This is particularly true given the already stated point that his value primarily derives from the PP, and we could theoretically upgrade ES play (and have a bit more money to play with in free agency).

On that front, I am curious how aggressive Hextall wants to be ... and whether a big upgrade on D is something they will consider. Do you go after a Karlsson in a trade? Eklund (for whatever he's worth given his lack of filter) is saying he heard the King's may consider moving Doughty for a haul. Depending on the type of deals either might want in extensions, it may be worth it to bring in a high-end stud to take a bit of the burden off Provorov ... and helped by the fact that Ghost is on a pretty friendly extension.


Maybe 7mil is an exaggeration but Simmonds will likely get ~6mil. Looking at Lucic, Ladd etc as recent UFA deals for power forward types. I think we can definitely get a Schenn type deal from a western conference team for Simmonds.

I hope Hextall at least asks about Karlsson/Doughty. Every single GM should at least entertain bringing in guys of that caliber.

Both the Lucic and Ladd deals are seen as disasters. He starts next season at 30 years old. I dunno..I think he doesn’t get as much as you’d think and if he does it will be a bad deal.
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 8416
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 29 times
Received rep: 30 times
Contact:

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1247 by Hovercraft » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:37 pm

vonbonds wrote:Both the Lucic and Ladd deals are seen as disasters. He starts next season at 30 years old. I dunno..I think he doesn’t get as much as you’d think and if he does it will be a bad deal.


Yeah which is exactly why I think we should avoid giving him a long term deal. He will 100% get a raise over his current 4mil salary and big power forwards decline very quickly once injuries pile up.

Simmonds has been a warrior for us and a big guy in the community but if he's not needed on the PP, he's just a defensive liability on the ice. We're better off investing his potential salary in a good 3rd line C or defensive help.
User avatar
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Posts: 13264
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:47 pm
Has given rep: 1544 times
Received rep: 715 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1248 by vonbonds » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:55 pm

Hovercraft wrote:
vonbonds wrote:Both the Lucic and Ladd deals are seen as disasters. He starts next season at 30 years old. I dunno..I think he doesn’t get as much as you’d think and if he does it will be a bad deal.


Yeah which is exactly why I think we should avoid giving him a long term deal. He will 100% get a raise over his current 4mil salary and big power forwards decline very quickly once injuries pile up.

Simmonds has been a warrior for us and a big guy in the community but if he's not needed on the PP, he's just a defensive liability on the ice. We're better off investing his potential salary in a good 3rd line C.

He’s supposed to be a great guy. I think that will make it that much tougher for Flyers management to walk away from him as you’ll have a lot of youth flowing through the next few seasons with your deep prospect pool. I’m assuming you guys keep him.
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 8416
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 29 times
Received rep: 30 times
Contact:

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1249 by Hovercraft » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:12 pm

Maybe he's willing to take another team friendly deal to hang around, we'll see. I know I'm down a rabbit hole but I'm just frustrated with the state of the team and the on ice performances.

More Hak idiocy :Image
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4856
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 20 times

Re: Philadelphia Wheat Kings 2017-18 GDT!!!

Post #1250 by FlyHigh » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:50 pm

Tbf I don't think Manning-Gudas is necessarily a bad 3rd pair (though the stylistic mesh is somewhat odd), but they aren't guys you want to be leaning on in a PO series, particularly if you're gonna bench guys that are younger/better.

Re: the point about bringing in defensive help, I don't think it makes sense until you feel good about your goaltending. I mean, even if the Flyers played a lot better in the series, not sure if they're in a different spot if Elliott plays like this.

Think you have to give Myers a shot next year and see what you have. I mean, right now, Provorov is a 1, Ghost is a 2/3, and Sanheim looks like he has 2/3 upside (though needs to clean up his D game of course). If Myers also falls into that 2/3 range, there might not be a pressing need to bring in a marquee guy.

Return to “The Eric Wellwood Memorial Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests