the tendon-cy to retire is natural.
now with even more memorial.
chaosof99
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 6 times
Received rep: 22 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #601 by chaosof99 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:05 pm

Giroux only being 4th in the hart is a bit of a joke, considering statistically he had a better season than Hall. Giroux perhaps had the better supporting cast, though not to the tune of twice as many voting points for Hall.

Anyway: Free agency is coming up and the guy I really want the Flyers to get is Michael Grabner, who I believe would be a great addition as a speedy, penalty killing, scoring winger. Problem is of course that he will probably have his choice of teams since he scored 27 goals each of the last two seasons. What would be the maximum contract you would be willing to offer the guy?
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 21 times

Post #602 by FlyHigh » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:28 pm

Not to be tough, but I'd basically be philosophically opposed to giving him anything. Top-9 wingers on the team right now = Konecny/Giroux/Voracek/Simmonds/Lindblom/Raffl/Weal (that's 7) and I'm at least mildly curious to see if they give a spot to NAK next year who I believe was right around top-5 in AHL even strength scoring.

I'd be interested to see if Hextall is a dark horse in any of the major trade discussions at the draft. If Ottawa really wants to put Karlsson on the table, you at least have to have a meeting and Flyers probably have the assets to do it.

Meltzer had something the other day where apparently the Flyers have an internal goal of 100 points and 2nd round of POs next year. Unclear if they think they already have enough to get there or not, but if they don't think they do, we know he doesn't like July 1...
Rogers Pancreas
Has given rep: 34 times
Received rep: 86 times

Post #603 by Rogers Pancreas » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:17 pm

chaosof99 wrote:Giroux only being 4th in the hart is a bit of a joke, considering statistically he had a better season than Hall. Giroux perhaps had the better supporting cast, though not to the tune of twice as many voting points for Hall.

Try not to think about it too much. The league differentiates between left and right wing for the NHL First and Second All-Star Team, but groups all defensemen together, even though you could easily make the argument that the defensive position is the single most important position in the league, and therefore deserves further refinement.

And, going back to the Ovechkin debacle back when he made the First and Second All-Star Team, they can't even get that part right.

The Selke's become a two-way award, probably because goals and assists are the only metrics the voters can understand (which is a sad statement in and of itself), while the Hart has become a stupidly simple syllogism (and alliteration). And, the Norris closely follows suit with the Selke by going to the defensemen who can manage to put up the most points while NOT looking like a tire-fire.

The entire ordeal's second-rate.

Anyway: Free agency is coming up and the guy I really want the Flyers to get is Michael Grabner, who I believe would be a great addition as a speedy, penalty killing, scoring winger. Problem is of course that he will probably have his choice of teams since he scored 27 goals each of the last two seasons. What would be the maximum contract you would be willing to offer the guy?

Absolutely nothing. Sorry, but, I want to see a short-term upgrade in net immediately, followed by a veteran right-handed defenseman, along with a younger version of Filppula to, at the very least, compete with Frost for a spot on the roster come September.
His Satanic Majestic Request
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 29 times
Received rep: 30 times

Post #604 by Hovercraft » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:41 am

Lehner won't be qualified by Buffalo. Worth adding as a UFA?
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1568 times
Received rep: 723 times

Post #605 by vonbonds » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:51 pm

You and the Isles should be on that on a year prove it deal
jester
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 102 times

Post #606 by jester » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:52 pm

FlyHigh wrote:Not to be tough, but I'd basically be philosophically opposed to giving him anything. Top-9 wingers on the team right now = Konecny/Giroux/Voracek/Simmonds/Lindblom/Raffl/Weal (that's 7) and I'm at least mildly curious to see if they give a spot to NAK next year who I believe was right around top-5 in AHL even strength scoring.

I'd be interested to see if Hextall is a dark horse in any of the major trade discussions at the draft. If Ottawa really wants to put Karlsson on the table, you at least have to have a meeting and Flyers probably have the assets to do it.

Meltzer had something the other day where apparently the Flyers have an internal goal of 100 points and 2nd round of POs next year. Unclear if they think they already have enough to get there or not, but if they don't think they do, we know he doesn't like July 1...

There have been rumors (and logical deduction) that they've been targeting this offseason to make some moves. May not work out, but I would not be surprised in the slightest to see some fireworks in the next little bit.

I'm not interested in Grabner either. Someone did a write-up on him basically saying that he's a bit of a one trick pony, and if you don't cater to it he cannot produce much (team splits back this up). For a guy someone is going to pay, that isn't appealing to me.

I think the big questions are:

1) How aggressive does Hexie want to be? Does he go after a Karlsson, Doughty, etc. if that's an option? Does he make a call on Tavares? I'm interested in the former, a bit less on the latter.

2) What do they want to do with goalie? Internal eval on Hart is probably the most important factor heading into this season. Do they think he's here Jan '19, Oct '19, or later. The more bullish they are on Hart's arrival schedule, the more aggressive they can be elsewhere on the roster contractually.

3) Morgan Frost ... when and what position? Couturier and Patrick look like the no. 1 and 2 for the near and(!) long term. Is Frost slotted in behind them, or does he shift to wing and ride shotgun with one of them. That answer will inform decisions surrounding 3rd and 4th C.

4) Who is and is not expendable? Gudas, Simmonds, Hagg, etc.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #607 by jester » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:53 pm

vonbonds wrote:You and the Isles should be on that on a year prove it deal

Yep, it's all about terms. Anyone coming here is keeping it warm for Hart (ideally).
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #608 by vonbonds » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:57 pm

jester wrote:

Yep, it's all about terms. Anyone coming here is keeping it warm for Hart (ideally).

He’s 2 years away, right? Give him 2 years then, fuck it. He’s never been in a good situation before and you guys are going to be reallllly good soon
jester
Registered Broad

Post #609 by jester » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:00 pm

vonbonds wrote:
jester wrote:

He’s 2 years away, right? Give him 2 years then, fuck it. He’s never been in a good situation before and you guys are going to be reallllly good soon

He could be here in Sept, he could be here never ...

I suspect he has a good chance of being our starter in '19-20, and it is not impossible he gets games this year. It's hard to say, his numbers last year were stupid relative to the league he was in and scouts were comparing him to MAF. So, it's all about how quickly he adapts.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #610 by FlyHigh » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:59 pm

jester wrote:
FlyHigh wrote:Not to be tough, but I'd basically be philosophically opposed to giving him anything. Top-9 wingers on the team right now = Konecny/Giroux/Voracek/Simmonds/Lindblom/Raffl/Weal (that's 7) and I'm at least mildly curious to see if they give a spot to NAK next year who I believe was right around top-5 in AHL even strength scoring.

There have been rumors (and logical deduction) that they've been targeting this offseason to make some moves. May not work out, but I would not be surprised in the slightest to see some fireworks in the next little bit.

I'm not interested in Grabner either. Someone did a write-up on him basically saying that he's a bit of a one trick pony, and if you don't cater to it he cannot produce much (team splits back this up). For a guy someone is going to pay, that isn't appealing to me.

I think the big questions are:

1) How aggressive does Hexie want to be? Does he go after a Karlsson, Doughty, etc. if that's an option? Does he make a call on Tavares? I'm interested in the former, a bit less on the latter.

2) What do they want to do with goalie? Internal eval on Hart is probably the most important factor heading into this season. Do they think he's here Jan '19, Oct '19, or later. The more bullish they are on Hart's arrival schedule, the more aggressive they can be elsewhere on the roster contractually.

3) Morgan Frost ... when and what position? Couturier and Patrick look like the no. 1 and 2 for the near and(!) long term. Is Frost slotted in behind them, or does he shift to wing and ride shotgun with one of them. That answer will inform decisions surrounding 3rd and 4th C.

4) Who is and is not expendable? Gudas, Simmonds, Hagg, etc.

Yeah, I agree on No.1. I wouldn't want to be the team giving Tavares 7x11 this summer.

Ever so slightly nervous on No.2. I remember seeing a headline recently (forgot to bookmark it) basically arguing that NHL teams rush goaltending prospects too much which ultimately ends up burning them. Think Hextall has shown a lot of patience in prospect development, so I'd hope that continues, but I'd be a little concerned if Hart has 20-30 strong AHL games and they decide to bring him up and make him the starter. Of course, goalies are voodoo, so who knows?

3, Yeah I'm curious too. Apropos of nothing, but considering the season he just had and the fact that he was projected as a winger for quite a while, I wonder what Giroux's career would have looked like if he stayed at wing. Of course, they might have 5-8 more years of him at wing anyways.

4, have increasingly sympathy for the arguments that Simmonds has a massive off-ice impact that shouldn't be discounted. Not that this is a bad thing, but the team is really young right now and projects to get even younger over the next year or two assuming that Frost/Sanheim/Myers earn spots. Giroux and AMac are strong vet presences and I guess Couturier counts as a vet now too, but beyond that, there aren't a ton.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #611 by jester » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:22 pm

If Simmonds is open to a discount contract, I would definitely keep him. I would not, however, give him one of these 5 year, $30+M contracts.

It will be interesting to see what he does. I think Philly is a good fit for him style wise. He's gotten involved with the Ed Snider hockey program and it is no small thing to have a black player to serve as a role model there. He's a guy I'd like to have around, but the price will matter a lot.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #612 by vonbonds » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:06 pm

The way the league is going with youth and speed it’ll be curious to see what he gets offered.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 86 times
Received rep: 36 times

Post #613 by JLHockeyKnight » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:27 pm

jester wrote:If Simmonds is open to a discount contract, I would definitely keep him. I would not, however, give him one of these 5 year, $30+M contracts.

It will be interesting to see what he does. I think Philly is a good fit for him style wise. He's gotten involved with the Ed Snider hockey program and it is no small thing to have a black player to serve as a role model there. He's a guy I'd like to have around, but the price will matter a lot.

I'm fine with him coming back on a reasonable contract if he promises to NOT PLAY THROUGH INJURIES UNREASONABLY.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #614 by Hovercraft » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:30 pm

Length of the deal is a big issue with Simmonds. I think I'd pay him a bit higher $ for a shorter term right now. Or see how much $ he'd leave on the table for a full NMC if he wants to control his own future.

I saw a stat today that if Hakstol coaches at least 32 games this year he'll pass Hitchcock, Stevens and Laviolette in total games coached. Pretty crazy that he's been here that long already.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #615 by FlyHigh » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:36 pm

JVR at 5/35 apparently...can't say I’m a big fan of that one tbh, at least he should age decently, not a particularly physical guy, but boy, that’s a lot of money and term on the books when you’re going to have to pay young guys soon.

Does give them quite a forward group if they can find someone halfway decent to play 3C.

Edit: Looking through our cap, not as bad as first thought I suppose, and at least he scan score goals. I mean, the Pens just spent 6.5 mill combined on Jack Johnson and Rust....I’d rather just take JVR, think those pricey deals for bottom of the lineup-types are what kill you.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #616 by Rogers Pancreas » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:52 pm

This better be a joke, FlyHigh.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #617 by Hovercraft » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:06 am

I'm glad it's only 5 years, but it does seem like an odd move. Our forward group should be scary deep now. Wonder what it means for Simmonds.

Will be interesting to see our cap when Provorov and konecny are on new deals.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #618 by vonbonds » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:08 am

Hovercraft wrote:I'm glad it's only 5 years, but it does seem like an odd move. Our forward group should be scary deep now. Wonder what it means for Simmonds.

He’s gone
dbr
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 19 times
Received rep: 3 times

Post #619 by dbr » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:52 am

Definitely think Simmonds is gone with JVR back. Had a feeling he’d be back with us.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #620 by chaosof99 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:57 am

JVR is a perennial 30 goal/60 point threat, though his game definitely has deficits when his team doesn't have the puck. The question is of course for how long he will continue doing that as we are buying the beginning of the downswing of his career. First couple of years we'll be fine though.

As for Simmonds: I fully expected him to be traded during the season even before this.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #621 by Rogers Pancreas » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:56 am

chaosof99 wrote:JVR is a perennial 30 goal/60 point threat, though his game definitely has deficits when his team doesn't have the puck. The question is of course for how long he will continue doing that as we are buying the beginning of the downswing of his career. First couple of years we'll be fine though.

As for Simmonds: I fully expected him to be traded during the season even before this.

As a player, I really, really, really, really prefer Simmonds to JVR. I think his work ethic is superb, and his goal-scoring comparable. But our organizational depth chart, and the contractual status of both players* make this, potentially, a smart move.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #622 by Hovercraft » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:04 am

Would JVR-Patrick-Voracek be too poor defensively to put together? We still need a 3C too.

JVR turned down some 7 year offers to come back to Philly. With plugs and grinders getting 2-3 mil (Reaves, Beagle, Roussel) we are just seeing the new UFA market prices.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 45 times
Received rep: 32 times

Post #623 by CantSeeColors » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:49 am

That's exactly the second line I expect to see, hover
jester
Registered Broad

Post #624 by jester » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:12 pm

Assuming Simmonds stays, the 2nd PP unit could be very dangerous.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #625 by chaosof99 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:18 pm

Good news all around. Last year is basically taylor made for him to be shipped out to a bottom feeder as a cap padder.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #626 by Rogers Pancreas » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:19 pm

And now, for something not totally uninteresting:

Carlsson re-ups in Washington, 8-years for $64 million.
Doughty re-ups in Tampa Bay, 8-years for $88 million.
McDonagh in Tampa Bay, 7-years for $47.5 million.
OEL in Arizona, 8-years for $66 million.

Manning, Ward and Kunitz sign in Chicago for too much and too long.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #627 by chaosof99 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:42 pm

No idea what Chicago is doing. They're a sinking ship and instead of cutting ballast they're throwing in another couple anchors.

How Tampa can afford McDonagh on that term is beyond me. I'm guess they're shipping stuff out ASAP. Safe to say they're out on Tavares.

I wonder if Arizona is finally moving forward, or just spinning their wheels. They also took Grabner at 3x3.5, which is well enough. I expected Grabner to get north of 4. Could have been good for the Flyers, though I guess JVR was the better option for the Flyers on the 2nd line and with JVR they're full at wing.

Hole in the forward core for us is 3rd line center. Guy I'd like there is Riley Nash. Secretly I was hoping for a guy like Bozak (5mil per to STL) or Stastny (6.5 per to VGK) on short contracts, but those of course remained pipe dreams.

An Upgrade on D would be nice still, and of course our Goaltending situation is also still all-sorts of weird, but I don't expect anything changing there today for either unless a trade is forthcoming and those are extremely rare on July 1st.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #628 by Hovercraft » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:44 pm

jester wrote:Assuming Simmonds stays, the 2nd PP unit could be very dangerous.

What would the PP2 forwards be? Simmonds-Patrick-Konecny? Pretty great with Sanheim and Provorov on the point.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #629 by FlyHigh » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:44 pm

Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek was good enough last year too that they might just be able to play JVR on the 3rd line and feed them easy matchups, believe that’s what Toronto did last year and it seemed to work out quite well.

They definitely have a move or two to make now, will be interesting to what happens.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #630 by Hovercraft » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:05 pm

I feel like O'Rielly would have been a better fit for us than JVR but I guess Hextall didn't want to lose assets. Seems like the 3C might just be a Frost/Laughton/Vorobyev competition or Giroux back to C.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #631 by chaosof99 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:24 am

chaosof99 wrote:unless a trade is forthcoming and those are extremely rare on July 1st.

While not Flyers-related, I guess I'm the anti-nostradamus as Buffalo ships Ryan O'Reilly to St. Louis for a 1st, a 2nd, Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka, and Tage Thompson. Not quite sure what to make of it. Seems a bit high but compares not that badly to when we traded Schenn if you consider Berglund and Sobotka as cap dumps and expect Buffalo to be cellar dwellers for another year.

There are also mumblings about Artemi Panarin dangling in the trade market with multiple interested teams, including us.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #632 by Rogers Pancreas » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:21 am

Hell of a return for Buffalo.

Hover, to your point, the Flyers still have options. In Buffalo alone, the Flyers could pick up Girgensons, Larsson, or Sobotka for fuck-all.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #633 by CantSeeColors » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:03 am

FlyHigh wrote:Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek was good enough last year too that they might just be able to play JVR on the 3rd line and feed them easy matchups, believe that’s what Toronto did last year and it seemed to work out quite well.

They definitely have a move or two to make now, will be interesting to what happens.

I suspect you're going to be disappointed. I see Hextall standing pat at this point, or at most scooping up a veteran who slips into late July or August without a contract.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #634 by FlyHigh » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:48 am

CantSeeColors wrote:
FlyHigh wrote:Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek was good enough last year too that they might just be able to play JVR on the 3rd line and feed them easy matchups, believe that’s what Toronto did last year and it seemed to work out quite well.

I suspect you're going to be disappointed. I see Hextall standing pat at this point, or at most scooping up a veteran who slips into late July or August without a contract.

At some point though the numbers game is going to look pretty rough up-front.

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
Lindblom-Laughton-Simmonds
Raffl-[Lehtera]-Weal

Notably that doesn't include Weise, Leier, NAK, Vecchione, Vorobyov, Frost.

I guess they might be comfortable AHLing Lehtera/Weise, letting Weal/Simmonds walk after next year, deciding that NAK probably won't ever be NHL top-9 (totally possible, maybe even likely), and giving Frost/Vorobyov another year to develop (ppl seem optimistic on Vorobyov for whatever reason). But it does seem to go a bit against Hextall's MO to just let guys like Weal/Simmonds walk away for nothing (not that they'd necessarily get a ton for either).

Not expecting earth-shattering moves, but maybe some stuff on the margins (I'd see if they can get a team to bite on Weal, there isn't really a spot for him here, but even last year in his "disappointing" season, he was a pretty reasonable 3rd liner).

Also, from a longer-term perspective, you'd figure 7 of the top 9 are pretty well set for the next ~5 years unless they start trading and Frost probably has an inside-track on the 8th spot, going to be hard for those young guys to break in (definitely not a bad thing).
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #635 by CantSeeColors » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:22 pm

I mean, letting Simmonds walk after this year isn't getting nothing for him - you're getting a playoff run in a year where the team has plans to win a round or two. Weal is roster filler to me, Lehtera, Weise, and Vecchione can fight it out for 4C and the two scratches, Leier, NAK, and Vorbyov go to the AHL, and Frost goes back to the minors. Having an excess of AHL/NHL tweeners doesn't really seem like a situation that needs resolving, imo.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #636 by Rogers Pancreas » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:11 pm

Various newsings.

Rumors were circulating throughout the floor of the American Airlines Center Friday night of a potential deal involving Wayne Simmonds for Calgary defenseman Dougie Hamilton.

Who knows how deep those discussions evolved, but the possibility of a straight-up swap simply didn’t make much sense.

The Flyers would have jumped at the chance of acquiring a 25-year-old right-handed 6-foot-6 defenseman who can skate like the wind while possessing an impressive offensive skill set coming off a career-high 17 goals last season. Hamilton’s durability includes missing just one game in his three seasons in Calgary and he’s under club control at a reasonable $5.75 million cap hit over the next three years.

Which is why a deal wasn’t brokered.

The Flames simply needed more from the Flyers, and general manager Ron Hextall isn’t willing to part with the prospects that prospective teams continuously keep asking about whether it’s Travis Sanheim, Philippe Myers or whomever. Once again, Hextall admitted as much after speaking with the media Sunday following the draft.

he plan is still, as it has always been, to re-sign Wayne Simmonds.

The Flyers’ power forward is now in the last year of his contract, a team-friendly $3.975 million cap hit for a perennial 30-goal scorer.

Spoiler alert: the next one is going to be a lot richer.

Simmonds turns 30 in August and this will be his best shot at a payday in his career. It is entirely possible that the Flyers won’t be able to afford him, although they disagree that signing James van Riemsdyk to a five-year, $35 million pact is in any way connected.

“Where talks go, I have no idea,” general manager Ron Hextall said. “We’ll talk to Simmer’s reps in the next little while here and we’ll see where it goes. If it has to go into next year, we’re comfortable with that. But until we talk, and seriously talk, I don’t have anything there. We like Wayne Simmonds. This doesn’t change anything for Wayne. This is a left winger. This is a different player than Simmer. We’re excited to have James, and certainly we would like to have Simmer for a long time too.”

So, I don't know what to make of it all other than, Hextall had options, may have less options now, and he's going to work to ensure the Flyers don't lose Simmonds to free agency for fuck-all.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #637 by chaosof99 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:09 am

We have apparently signed Christian Folin, a 27-year-old right-handed defenseman who has bounced between the AHL and NHL for the Wild before signing with the Kings last year, playing 65 games and scoring 3 goals and 10 assists. He's 1,93m and 93 kg, which probably also factored into the signing alongside his right-handed shot. A decent #5-7 defenseman, and for a single year it doesn't hurt to have the guy around.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #638 by vonbonds » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:32 am

1,93 something and 93 something else...he's fucking tiny!
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #639 by FlyHigh » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:57 pm

Hopefully he can fill that Brandon Manning-shaped hole in Hakstol's heart.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #640 by Rogers Pancreas » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:23 pm

He's definitely heavy enough to, but Manning has the inside-track on shit-kickings received per sixty minutes played. And we know how much Hakstol loves sticktuitedness in a player.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #641 by chaosof99 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:22 am

BTW, it's 800,000 for Folin. At one year and 800k I'd pretty much sign any player and this guy could be a good bottom pair defenseman for us.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #642 by JLHockeyKnight » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:59 am

chaosof99 wrote:BTW, it's 800,000 for Folin. At one year and 800k I'd pretty much sign any player and this guy could be a good bottom pair defenseman for us.

Worst case we waive him and if no one claims him we save on the cap space and ship him to Lehigh Valley. No risk depth move.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #643 by JLHockeyKnight » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:16 am

Rogers Pancreas wrote:Various newsings.

Rumors were circulating throughout the floor of the American Airlines Center Friday night of a potential deal involving Wayne Simmonds for Calgary defenseman Dougie Hamilton.

Who knows how deep those discussions evolved, but the possibility of a straight-up swap simply didn’t make much sense.

The Flyers would have jumped at the chance of acquiring a 25-year-old right-handed 6-foot-6 defenseman who can skate like the wind while possessing an impressive offensive skill set coming off a career-high 17 goals last season. Hamilton’s durability includes missing just one game in his three seasons in Calgary and he’s under club control at a reasonable $5.75 million cap hit over the next three years.

Which is why a deal wasn’t brokered.

The Flames simply needed more from the Flyers, and general manager Ron Hextall isn’t willing to part with the prospects that prospective teams continuously keep asking about whether it’s Travis Sanheim, Philippe Myers or whomever. Once again, Hextall admitted as much after speaking with the media Sunday following the draft.

he plan is still, as it has always been, to re-sign Wayne Simmonds.

The Flyers’ power forward is now in the last year of his contract, a team-friendly $3.975 million cap hit for a perennial 30-goal scorer.

Spoiler alert: the next one is going to be a lot richer.

Simmonds turns 30 in August and this will be his best shot at a payday in his career. It is entirely possible that the Flyers won’t be able to afford him, although they disagree that signing James van Riemsdyk to a five-year, $35 million pact is in any way connected.

“Where talks go, I have no idea,” general manager Ron Hextall said. “We’ll talk to Simmer’s reps in the next little while here and we’ll see where it goes. If it has to go into next year, we’re comfortable with that. But until we talk, and seriously talk, I don’t have anything there. We like Wayne Simmonds. This doesn’t change anything for Wayne. This is a left winger. This is a different player than Simmer. We’re excited to have James, and certainly we would like to have Simmer for a long time too.”

So, I don't know what to make of it all other than, Hextall had options, may have less options now, and he's going to work to ensure the Flyers don't lose Simmonds to free agency for fuck-all.

I'm fine with this. The first part, I don't want to part with Myers or Sanheim so I'm glad Hextall didn't pull the trigger.

The second part, no GM is going to say they don't plan to re-sign someone before the final year of their contract starts. I think Simmonds will rebound to some degree considering it became apparent after the season ended he pretty much played all season injured. Really it will come down to if Hextall sees Simmonds in the long term plans with the kids and I think it will be more about the years on the Simmonds' next contract than the dollar value.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #644 by vonbonds » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:34 am

Simmonds seems as solid as a vet and general person can be. I’m sure Hextall wants him back on a medium term. I just can’t see Wayne wanting that unless he can’t get a longer term deal anywhere else.

I just have a hard time in today’s NHL seeing him get a large long term contract with the style of game he has. Time will tell as always.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #645 by jester » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:35 pm

vonbonds wrote:Simmonds seems as solid as a vet and general person can be. I’m sure Hextall wants him back on a medium term. I just can’t see Wayne wanting that unless he can’t get a longer term deal anywhere else.

I just have a hard time in today’s NHL seeing him get a large long term contract with the style of game he has. Time will tell as always.

If Simmonds bounces back and puts up a 30/30 season with dominance on the PP ... someone will probably want to offer him a big contract next summer. The real problem with Simmonds is that he's never been that great at ES. So, you're going to be paying a lot for a guy that is a bit of a one-trick pony as far as contributions. He's really a 2nd or 3rd line wing that performs really well on the PP. Is that a $30-35M (aging) player for the next 5-6 years?

What is more interesting is lets assume that Simmonds continues to decline a bit, struggles with the residue of his injuries this past year, and maybe loses 1st unit PP time for stretches (or the entire season) to JVR and/or Patrick. What kind of contract is he looking at following that?

I'd like to see him back on a reasonable 3 year contract, but suspect that will not happen.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #646 by vonbonds » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:56 pm

jester wrote:
vonbonds wrote:Simmonds seems as solid as a vet and general person can be. I’m sure Hextall wants him back on a medium term. I just can’t see Wayne wanting that unless he can’t get a longer term deal anywhere else.

If Simmonds bounces back and puts up a 30/30 season with dominance on the PP ... someone will probably want to offer him a big contract next summer. The real problem with Simmonds is that he's never been that great at ES. So, you're going to be paying a lot for a guy that is a bit of a one-trick pony as far as contributions. He's really a 2nd or 3rd line wing that performs really well on the PP. Is that a $30-35M (aging) player for the next 5-6 years?

What is more interesting is lets assume that Simmonds continues to decline a bit, struggles with the residue of his injuries this past year, and maybe loses 1st unit PP time for stretches (or the entire season) to JVR and/or Patrick. What kind of contract is he looking at following that?

I'd like to see him back on a reasonable 3 year contract, but suspect that will not happen.

You guys have mentioned the PP reliance for points before with him. If you guys see it then so do the experts with their fancy stats. I think the league is catching up to 1 trick pony type players as you’ve,mentioned assuming they don’t play defense..ol
jester
Registered Broad

Post #647 by jester » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:59 am

vonbonds wrote:You guys have mentioned the PP reliance for points before with him. If you guys see it then so do the experts with their fancy stats. I think the league is catching up to 1 trick pony type players as you’ve,mentioned assuming they don’t play defense..ol

The case can be made that Simmonds is the best net front PP player in the NHL right now. If your one trick is good enough ...

If he doesn't get the PP goals, though, you're looking at a solid wing that brings a lot of grit and can contribute moderately offensively.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #648 by vonbonds » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:23 am

I fixed the site as best/fast as I could on vacation with my iPhone. I posted a little about it on the general forum. Long story short I restored it back to Sunday as that was the easiest thing for me to do.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #649 by Rogers Pancreas » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:18 am

Times keep changing.

The Flyers confirmed the retirement of Simon Nolet. The 76-year-old had been winding down his work in recent years, scouting exclusively within the QMJHL and scaling back on the number of games he viewed.

Nolet has been one of the more unsung figures in Flyers history but an important one. During his playing days, the Quebec Aces product played all or parts of the team's first seven seasons in the National Hockey League. In 1971-72, Nolet earned a spot in the NHL All-Star Game as he produced 23 goals in the best season of his Flyers career. During his final season with the Flyers, he was a member of the 1973-74 Stanley Cup championship team as a lower-lineup winger who still managed 19 goals and 36 points in 52 games. After moving on to the Kansas City Scouts (for whom he served as team captain), Nolet played in a second NHL All-Star Game while producing 26 goals and 58 points.

Nolet retired in 1977 after serving as team captain of the Colorado Rockies. After leaving hockey for a time while working for the Labatt's brewing company, Nolet worked in the front office of the Quebec Nordiques for much of the 1980s. In 1990, old teammate Bob Clarke convinced Nolet to come work for the Flyers as a scout.

Although Clarke was fired as Flyers GM shortly after hiring Nolet -- Simon's paperwork was not done yet, so he technically wasn't an employee yet -- Keith Allen saw to it that new general manager Russ Farwell made good on the hire. For the next 27 years, Nolet served as a Flyers amateur scout. Although based in Quebec, he also did cross-over and tournament scouting for many years, and was one of Bob Clarke's most trusted scouting voices after Clarke returned in 1994 for a second stint as Flyers GM.

Most notably, Nolet had the most viewings of Simon Gagne (the son of Nolet's former Quebec Jr. Aces teammate Pierre Gagne, although that relationship was incidental to his scouting interest) in 1997-98 and of Claude Giroux in 2005-06. Nolet also was the primary scout who stepped up on the selection of University of Vermont forward Patrick Sharp in the third round of the 2001 Draft. In 2002-03, Nolet also recommended the drafting of the seemingly under-scouted Patrice Bergeron in the third-round range of the 2003 Draft but the player (who was not ranked in the Hockey News' top 50 that year) was unexpectedly selected in the second round by the Boston Bruins.

"It's not just me at all. It's funny. People say, 'Simon Nolet drafted this guy, and that guy' but, no. The Flyers draft this guy. We all scout and communicate. With Simon Gagne, of course I saw him play a lot. I saw him more than the other guys because I'm working in Quebec. Just like Dennis Patterson saw Jeff Carter and Mike Richards more [in the OHL]. But we are all traveling and we are all scouting and making sure we see these guys at least five or six times," Nolet said to Jay Greenberg in "Flyers at 50."

"People say 'This guy drafted this player,' and it's not that way. I mean, I saw something in Gagne but so did guys like Dennis and Chappy [John Chapman]. If I did and they really didn't like what they saw at all, the Flyers don't draft him. Or I really have a strong feeling that Carter or Richards can't be a player, even if Dennis likes him, the Flyers don't draft him. Or when we had Inge Hammarstrom in Europe even, same thing. We work together for the Flyers. It's not about my guy from my league or his guy from his league."

Return to “The Eric Wellwood Memorial Forum”