CantSeeColors wrote:I never wanted it to happen, but I’ve had this nagging feeling they should have moved giroux several years ago since this rebuild wasn’t likely to really pan out until after his prime. Really glad he’s playing this well into his 30s and giving them a chance to compete in his final good years, and hopefully we can add some nice FA pieces this summer to give that a boost
Yeah, I mean, I remain pretty convinced this team can bounce back rather forcefully next year. You factor in the following:
1) [Priority, IMO] Sign a top-6 scoring forward (Panarin the obvious target) to give this team a bit more juice.
2) Hope for bounce back seasons from Provorov and Ghost ... a not unrealistic expectation. What the fuck went wrong with the PP this year is a mystery to me, but if you get that going again then Ghost transforms back into being a very dangerous piece on a team-friendly contract.
3) Carter Hart does not have a sophomore slump season. I think the heavy influence of shit goaltending in the first half of the season does not get enough attention. Failure to get competent play from that position likely cost them a playoff position (or at least a realistic shot at a playoff spot).
4) Fix the fucking PK. Who knows if this is doable, but, at the very least, Lappy (as great a guy as he seems to be) should be looking for new employment.
5) Continued development of the young players (this remains a young team in very key spots). It is reasonable to expect continued improvement from: Provorov, Ghost (to a limited extent), Sanheim, Myers, Morin, Patrick, Konecny, Lindblom, etc. And additionally, what impact might some of these young rookies have in the near term (Frost and Farabee both seem like guys that will dress sooner rather than later).
It sucks that this year went off the rails so early (and cost an effective GM his job, IMO ... but that was partially his own fault). But if you squint it's easy to see this team as a very strong and deep team as early as next year with room for improvement. This most intriguing questions I think are these:
1a) Do you trade Voracek? And what do you get for him and/or replace him on the roster with? (I would, but I would want a decent return.)
1b) Do you trade Ghost? (I wouldn't.)
2) What UFA signings do they make?