OT Thread, NOT Obsequious 2

The Tendoncy to Retire is Natural
jester
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 11 times
Received rep: 136 times

Re: OT Thread, NOT Obsequious 2

Post #6401 by jester » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:55 am

Heh, you think Philly government is up to doing something about that?
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 61 times
Received rep: 42 times

Post #6402 by CantSeeColors » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:55 pm

Nah, they have to ban all the bay windows first
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6403 by jester » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:19 am

Alright fine folks, it is happening. I am (almost certainly) moving to the DC area in the next few months. So ... is nhl.tv any fucking good, or what?
DeadPhish
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 30 times
Received rep: 43 times

Post #6404 by DeadPhish » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:20 pm

jester wrote:Alright fine folks, it is happening. I am (almost certainly) moving to the DC area in the next few months. So ... is nhl.tv any fucking good, or what?

How could you leave NJ?
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 56 times
Received rep: 68 times

Post #6405 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:53 pm

Well two blocks just lost power and PECO is telling us we will be without power until somewhere between the 26th and the 29th. I guess it wasn't as bad as PECO thought everything is back.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 6 times
Received rep: 27 times

Post #6406 by FlyHigh » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:47 pm

Whereabouts in the DC area? I live in northwest, like it here pretty well, much better than NY (and, sad to say, easier than living in Philly I think).

Think the word for NHL.tv is "decent." I use it via Chromecast and I'd say it works for me about 90% of the time, the blackouts are an annoyance and every now and then it just won't work.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6407 by jester » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:59 am

Looking like NoVa is where we will look to buy, but also looking at Rockville/Silver Spring/etc. Primary location concern is schools, and my wife's commute (she will be working in Georgetown). I'm doing a postdoc research gig so lot of work from home and the archives in the area (College Park, library of Congress), so as long as it's a doable trip I'm ambivalent.

I am not looking forward to the selling and moving part of this process at all. Wife is looking to start late Sept, so we have to move quickly to get down there.

And, yeah, these summer storms have been something this year.

Good to hear NHL.tv is reasonably good. Did I read it right that they no longer blackout NHL Network games? This would be supplemented with some broad TV access.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #6408 by FlyHigh » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:07 pm

Oh nice, honestly, I think NoVa gets a bad rap because of “suburbs”, but I have family out there and it seems really nice and reasonably affordable outside of Alexandria and Arlington. Being within driving distance of Shenandoah is a really nice perk as well, great park for families. I have a coworker in Fairfax and he just takes Metro, so you can dodge a lot of the traffic stuff (traffic here really does suck) if you end up in the right place.

Selling and moving sounds painful, been thinking about buying but don’t have enough motivation, guess that having a deadline is a good kick in the pants. And yep, I don’t remember bumping into NHL Network blackouts this past year. The upfront cost is annoying ($130ish if memory serves), but if you figure 50-60 games, that’s not so bad. Also, if you go to the right Caps game, it’s a ton of fun. I remember visiting here a lot growing up and nobody cared about Caps, even when they made the SCF with Kolzig and Bondra. Really seems like OV completely transformed things, the atmosphere at those games is great (basketball games are funereal, but also dirt cheap).
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6409 by jester » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:21 am

FlyHigh wrote:Oh nice, honestly, I think NoVa gets a bad rap because of “suburbs”, but I have family out there and it seems really nice and reasonably affordable outside of Alexandria and Arlington. Being within driving distance of Shenandoah is a really nice perk as well, great park for families. I have a coworker in Fairfax and he just takes Metro, so you can dodge a lot of the traffic stuff (traffic here really does suck) if you end up in the right place.

Selling and moving sounds painful, been thinking about buying but don’t have enough motivation, guess that having a deadline is a good kick in the pants. And yep, I don’t remember bumping into NHL Network blackouts this past year. The upfront cost is annoying ($130ish if memory serves), but if you figure 50-60 games, that’s not so bad. Also, if you go to the right Caps game, it’s a ton of fun. I remember visiting here a lot growing up and nobody cared about Caps, even when they made the SCF with Kolzig and Bondra. Really seems like OV completely transformed things, the atmosphere at those games is great (basketball games are funereal, but also dirt cheap).

Yeah, my experience driving down there is ... bad. But we did a rush hour drive from Georgetown to Falls Church the other day, and it was fine. Georgetown is a bit of a commuter black hole it seems, which is annoying. I think we are looking at that Falls Church, Oakton, Vienna, etc. area. Seem to be some reasonable homes all things considered (prices are wild in that whole area). Hopefully Amazon HQ2 will balloon our house's value.
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 2536 times
Received rep: 1037 times

Post #6410 by vonbonds » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:29 am

That’s one expensive as part of the country you’re moving to, I’ll say that.

NHL.tv works for me to the point I’ll call it just below excellent. I agree that it’s not quite as good on a Chromecast but it’s nearly flawless on my PS4/pro (I have both and it works as well on each). You’ll be about 45 seconds behind live play. Usual blackout rules apply so when the Devils play Philly I watch the local broadcast here or watch on NHLN if they’re somehow on there.

You lose pre and post game shows although they started showing more post game shows last year. I don’t care, show me the game as that’s all I care about.

Good luck in DC
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6411 by jester » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:12 pm

vonbonds wrote:That’s one expensive as part of the country you’re moving to, I’ll say that.

NHL.tv works for me to the point I’ll call it just below excellent. I agree that it’s not quite as good on a Chromecast but it’s nearly flawless on my PS4/pro (I have both and it works as well on each). You’ll be about 45 seconds behind live play. Usual blackout rules apply so when the Devils play Philly I watch the local broadcast here or watch on NHLN if they’re somehow on there.

You lose pre and post game shows although they started showing more post game shows last year. I don’t care, show me the game as that’s all I care about.

Good luck in DC

It will likely be running on a smart TV without the intermediary if that's what I do. Lots of bitching on Reddit about it, but didn't know if that was just a noisy minority of users.

And, yeah, pricing is comical down there. But the area also offers a lot.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #6412 by vonbonds » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:33 pm

jester wrote:
vonbonds wrote:That’s one expensive as part of the country you’re moving to, I’ll say that.

Good luck in DC

It will likely be running on a smart TV without the intermediary if that's what I do. Lots of bitching on Reddit about it, but didn't know if that was just a noisy minority of users.

I have a top of the line Samsung that’s 2 years old and it’s still lacking the app, it’s frustrating for sure. That said I think the horsepower for lack of a better term of a gaming console or Roku/Apple/Nvidia/whatever is going to be the best video quality in the long run. It must be how it is able to handle a larger buffer.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6413 by jester » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:47 pm

vonbonds wrote:
jester wrote:

Good luck in DC

I have a top of the line Samsung that’s 2 years old and it’s still lacking the app, it’s frustrating for sure. That said I think the horsepower for lack of a better term of a gaming console or Roku/Apple/Nvidia/whatever is going to be the best video quality in the long run. It must be how it is able to handle a larger buffer.

I have a Sony Android TV, that handles streaming well. I haven't checked, but assume I can get the app through Google play. I am looking at likely getting a TCL Roku TV in the not too distant future, too.

But, yes, Chromecast is great but has limitations versus the other options.
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 44 times
Received rep: 653 times

Post #6414 by Craig » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:00 pm

I have a Sony and I just got a TCL. The Sony has a built in Chromecast, which is great. Sony has the best picture quality, but man do I prefer the user interface on the TCL. Roku did good there.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6415 by jester » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:22 pm

Craig wrote:I have a Sony and I just got a TCL. The Sony has a built in Chromecast, which is great. Sony has the best picture quality, but man do I prefer the user interface on the TCL. Roku did good there.

It does have a built in Chromecast, but it also has Android apps.

TCL TV's get great reviews, particularly on value.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #6416 by vonbonds » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:29 pm

I forgot, my TV is LG and an OLED which is awesome. It runs webOS which I assumed was an Android version for TV's, I'm obviously mistaken
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6417 by jester » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:39 pm

vonbonds wrote:I forgot, my TV is LG and an OLED which is awesome. It runs webOS which I assumed was an Android version for TV's, I'm obviously mistaken

OLED are beautiful. Look forward to the price point coming down on all of those.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #6418 by vonbonds » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:38 pm

jester wrote:
vonbonds wrote:I forgot, my TV is LG and an OLED which is awesome. It runs webOS which I assumed was an Android version for TV's, I'm obviously mistaken

OLED are beautiful. Look forward to the price point coming down on all of those.

I was a plasma guy and I couldn’t wait anymore 2 years ago lol. The picture is unparalleled by any current tech to my eyes. You won’t regret getting one whenever you do.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #6419 by Craig » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:16 pm

They're just so expensive still. The TCL was 320 for a 50 inch tv. Can't get an OLED that size under 2 Grand.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #6420 by Craig » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:16 pm

They've been stalled at the same price point for like 5 years now too.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #6421 by vonbonds » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:33 pm

Craig wrote:They've been stalled at the same price point for like 5 years now too.

Yeah, it’s a bummer. I want a few more and eventually a 70-80” (biggest today is 65” still).
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6422 by jester » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:44 pm

Craig wrote:They're just so expensive still. The TCL was 320 for a 50 inch tv. Can't get an OLED that size under 2 Grand.

TCL are a great deal, and it sounds like they've upped the "finish" on 'em this past year a good bit, so that they don't seem as cheap. But the review sites have loved 'em in terms of performance versus much more expensive TVs, and then you add in the Roku functionality on top. I ended up picking the Sony over the TCL just because I figured it was worth it for the picture quality bump with the primary TV -- particularly for sports. But once we get settled in the new place, I want to upgrade the bedroom TV for my wife and I if we have any money left and I am pretty sure I will target a TCL.

And, yeah, those OLEDs ... they're finally having some legit competition show up on the market, so that will help. It is surreal how much better they are when you see 'em side-by-side with the rest of the pack at Best Buy or wherever. The display images they use with the high contrast color scenes mesmerize my kids.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #6423 by vonbonds » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:14 pm

jester wrote:
Craig wrote:They're just so expensive still. The TCL was 320 for a 50 inch tv. Can't get an OLED that size under 2 Grand.

TCL are a great deal, and it sounds like they've upped the "finish" on 'em this past year a good bit, so that they don't seem as cheap. But the review sites have loved 'em in terms of performance versus much more expensive TVs, and then you add in the Roku functionality on top. I ended up picking the Sony over the TCL just because I figured it was worth it for the picture quality bump with the primary TV -- particularly for sports. But once we get settled in the new place, I want to upgrade the bedroom TV for my wife and I if we have any money left and I am pretty sure I will target a TCL.

And, yeah, those OLEDs ... they're finally having some legit competition show up on the market, so that will help. It is surreal how much better they are when you see 'em side-by-side with the rest of the pack at Best Buy or wherever. The display images they use with the high contrast color scenes mesmerize my kids.

Not really..

Between the different types of TVs, OLED TVs trump LED TVs in almost every aspect. Picture quality and motion blur are especially far ahead on OLEDs. Unfortunately, Samsung's QLEDs did not do much to bridge the gap between the two technologies and in some ways even regressed in performance. For most people, our advice remains: if you have budget limitations, LED TVs will have excellent value for money and can be found in a vast array of sizes. If you don't mind paying a premium, OLED TVs will almost always perform best.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-ty ... led-vs-led
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6424 by jester » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:57 am

vonbonds wrote:
jester wrote:

Not really..

Between the different types of TVs, OLED TVs trump LED TVs in almost every aspect. Picture quality and motion blur are especially far ahead on OLEDs. Unfortunately, Samsung's QLEDs did not do much to bridge the gap between the two technologies and in some ways even regressed in performance. For most people, our advice remains: if you have budget limitations, LED TVs will have excellent value for money and can be found in a vast array of sizes. If you don't mind paying a premium, OLED TVs will almost always perform best.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-ty ... led-vs-led

Yeah, that's a bit misleading if you look at some of their actual TV ratings. The QLED is definitely not as good as OLED, but it is not as far behind in their actual metrics as that conclusion seems to suggest -- and if you look at 'em in stores, they're plenty impressive as well. The article also notes some new technology that might come along in mLED and you have the simple fact that regular ole LED TVs are improving from year to year as well. As the article notes, the price has already come down on OLEDs a good deal and that should continue with increased competition and (presumably) as production costs come down over time. I mean, look how quickly 4K TVs went from very expensive to quite affordable.

As ever with hardware, if you can wait things out just a bit you'll end up paying a lot less in most cases.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #6425 by FlyHigh » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:35 pm

Throwing in a plug for the TCL, very happy with mine. Though I am not the most discerning viewer out there when it comes to TV quality.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6426 by jester » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:30 pm

FlyHigh wrote:Throwing in a plug for the TCL, very happy with mine. Though I am not the most discerning viewer out there when it comes to TV quality.

No, if you get their 6-series level stuff it's legit good. Vizio has good TVs at a good price, too. I went for the somewhat better Sony, but to be honest I'm not sure the difference justifies the cost bump.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 109 times
Received rep: 38 times

Post #6427 by JLHockeyKnight » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:56 pm

jester wrote:Alright fine folks, it is happening. I am (almost certainly) moving to the DC area in the next few months. So ... is nhl.tv any fucking good, or what?

Late response here:

I've been using it on Roku for the past 3 years and it's been great. I bought and switched over to Amazon Fire TV Sticks on Prime Day, so I'll be giving that a try. But if it's anything like Roku, it will be good.

I also switched to using a VPN (been using a Smart DNS up until now) to work around the blackouts. I'll see how it works out, but it's good to have a VPN regardless for security.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #6428 by JLHockeyKnight » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:59 pm

Good luck in DC

Just a follow up, last season just about every game that was on NBCSN Philly had pre- and post-game shows, from what I remember. It's a nice little feature.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #6429 by JLHockeyKnight » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:22 am

Why do I wait until the fall to finally find the motivation to start losing some weight. I'm a fucking idiot.
chaosof99
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 10 times
Received rep: 33 times

Post #6430 by chaosof99 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:53 pm

When I moved last year I actually moved like a 5 minute walk away from the local professional team's rink. However, due to other stuff and indecision I actually didn't attend a single game. Didn't seem to bother EC KAC as they won their 31st championship title in the spring regardless.

Today though I got a free ticket from a work colleague and went, and it was a great game to boot. Visting was Orli Znojmo a team from a town right across the czech border which still plays in the austrian league regardless (mostly because the license fee for the Czech Extraliga is too expensive). KAC lead for most of it, retaking the lead once in the 2nd period via a shorthanded goal. Znojmo tied it up halfway through the 3rd, but KAC heroically scored the winning goal with 37 seconds remaining to take the win. I only had a standing room ticket, but that also meant I was right by the super-fans who were chanting and drumming the entire fucking game. I had a great time and will probably try to attend more often.

Game summary for the interested cause.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6431 by jester » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:54 pm

I am teaching a residual online course that I said yes to prior to my new gig ... dealing with the first paper, I have caught 3 plagiarists (wiki-fucking-pedia) dumb enough to submit through turnitin. They should be expelled from college.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 36 times
Received rep: 44 times

Post #6432 by Hovercraft » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:34 am

Anyone know any decent sites these days for knockoff chinese jerseys? Thinking about getting another one soon, I still wear my Richards jersey at shinny....
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #6433 by JLHockeyKnight » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:27 pm

I'd love to hear some sites if anyone has some. I'm in the market for a $30 jersey or two.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 36 times
Received rep: 44 times

Post #6434 by Hovercraft » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:52 am

I ended up ordering from dhgate.com, we'll see how bad they are when they arrive but I got 2 for $35 USD total haha. White Giroux and Black Couturier.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #6435 by JLHockeyKnight » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:59 pm

Let me know how they are. I'm in the market for football jerseys.

BTW, one of the tips I heard was when you order from these sites, go buy a Visa gift card and use that. That way if the company frauds you, it isn't on any of your main bank accounts or credit cards.

Return to “The Eric Wellwood Memorial”