OT Thread, NOT Obsequious 2

The Tendoncy to Retire is Natural
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 45 times
Received rep: 32 times

Re: OT Thread, NOT Obsequious 2

Post #6301 by CantSeeColors » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:20 am

Yeah, I still hate losing the time to the commute even though I'm working 2-3 days a week from home now. It's so freeing to get that time back.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 22 times
Received rep: 30 times

Post #6302 by DeadPhish » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:12 pm

I usually work 2 days a week at home as well. I can't really complain too much about a commute though, even when I go into the office, it takes me 10 minutes.
jester
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 10 times
Received rep: 109 times

Post #6303 by jester » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:01 pm

CantSeeColors wrote:Yeah, I still hate losing the time to the commute even though I'm working 2-3 days a week from home now. It's so freeing to get that time back.

When my twerps are more fully formed beings, commuting will lose its appeal quickly.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 30 times
Received rep: 34 times

Post #6304 by Hovercraft » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:26 pm

It blows my mind that 50% of the US votes for the GOP. The corruption and hypocrasy is insane.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6305 by jester » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:14 am

Hovercraft wrote:It blows my mind that 50% of the US votes for the GOP. The corruption and hypocrasy is insane.

In fairness to us, it's less than half ... which is a bit of a problem, given that this means we are in a minority rule situation.

In fairness to those voters, the Dems have not been a particularly effective party in trying to win their votes.

What should be alarming to all of us, is that the political/cultural divisions in the US are becoming increasingly stark and geographic in nature (urban v. rural, coasts v. middle/south). I am not on the "we are on the verge of another Civil War" train, but I do think we are going to struggle with this in the short-to-medium term. For the global community, that's no small problem given the economic and military capacity of the US.

In the immediate context of the moment, it's pretty remarkable the long-term damage the GOP is willing to do to SCOTUS for a short-term win. If Kavanaugh gave two shits about SCOTUS as an institution, he'd withdraw just to shield it from the damage his potential confirmation will do to it ... particularly with the already deeply problematic Gorsuch already seated.
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 42 times
Received rep: 440 times

Post #6306 by Craig » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:25 am

Don't forget Clarence Thomas, who is like Kavanaugh lite.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #6307 by Craig » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:33 am

The court is a little terrifying, because outside of the considerations of how bad Kavanaugh is and how illegitimately they got Gorsuch on there, the two oldest justices on the court are both Left leaning. That means if they leave while Trump is in office, there's a real chance that not only will the courts shift to the right, they'll shift so far to the right that the deciding vote on issues will be either Gorsuch or Alito. That's fucking mental.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #6308 by Hovercraft » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:53 am

Kavanaugh was lying through his teeth under oath and throwing a juvenile hissy fit. And somehow he's still fit for the SCOTUS? Regardless of whether the allegations are true or not (pretty clear that at least Ford's are though. July 1 1982 on his calendar...) he is clearly not fit for a lifetime appointment of such importance.

He swore to God though, so it's all good for the GOP base. As long as we don't all end up in the devils triangle....

If he gets confirmed and then Dems take senate in November, is there anything they can do to reverse it?
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 21 times

Post #6309 by FlyHigh » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:16 am

Nope, if the Dems do take control though in 2020, I'd be in favor of packing the Court at that point; time for extreme measures has come and this is starting to get worse than anything FDR dealt with (on the domestic political front at least), if we hit another depression, shit will really hit the fan.

In 15-20 years (e.g. once most of the boomers are dead), Republicans could struggle to poll at 40% if they keep going down this route, but as long as they can gerrymander and as long as ~20% of the population controls half the Senate, they'll still be in a position to keep screwing everyone over.

Gives me hope that a lot of friends are at least still having kids. Gf and I had a heart-to-heart a few months after the election and decided against it (clock is ticking for her). I'm generally indifferent (which would probably not be great for a father) and she'd been leaning against it and the election cemented it. We're both on the pessimistic side, but man, sometimes it's difficult to see how we make it to 2100 if things keep on like this. Glad that people seem to disagree.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #6310 by Hovercraft » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:30 am

My wife and I are on the pessimistic side about having children as well, even as Canadians. The world is a crazy place and we are destroying the environment("EPA"). It's hard to be hopeful while we are in this Trump era that still feels like some sort of sick Black Mirror/1984 dystopian/fascist joke.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6311 by jester » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:39 am

Craig wrote:Don't forget Clarence Thomas, who is like Kavanaugh lite.

Sure, but that's a 20 year old fight ... doesn't have the immediacy obviously. A far more problematic event between Thomas and today was the Court's involvement in Bush v. Gore.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6312 by jester » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:41 am

FlyHigh wrote:Nope, if the Dems do take control though in 2020, I'd be in favor of packing the Court at that point; time for extreme measures has come and this is starting to get worse than anything FDR dealt with (on the domestic political front at least), if we hit another depression, shit will really hit the fan.

In 15-20 years (e.g. once most of the boomers are dead), Republicans could struggle to poll at 40% if they keep going down this route, but as long as they can gerrymander and as long as ~20% of the population controls half the Senate, they'll still be in a position to keep screwing everyone over.

Gives me hope that a lot of friends are at least still having kids. Gf and I had a heart-to-heart a few months after the election and decided against it (clock is ticking for her). I'm generally indifferent (which would probably not be great for a father) and she'd been leaning against it and the election cemented it. We're both on the pessimistic side, but man, sometimes it's difficult to see how we make it to 2100 if things keep on like this. Glad that people seem to disagree.

The generational shift is likely to come sooner than that ... millenials are the largest generation in US history, and also the most diverse. Every year the electorate is going to change substantially as they turn 18. The key: getting them to fucking vote.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #6313 by FlyHigh » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:23 pm

Hope you are right jester, I've been wondering when the shift is going to happen, would have thought it started more effectively 5ish years ago, but as you say, getting under-40s to vote is the key thing.
Rogers Pancreas
Has given rep: 38 times
Received rep: 90 times

Post #6314 by Rogers Pancreas » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:27 pm

Is it okay to post a woman's nipples on the internet if it's art, or do I need to photoshop in Ricky Gervais' instead?

Fuck it.

His Satanic Majestic Request
Rogers Pancreas

Post #6315 by Rogers Pancreas » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:26 pm

Trump's the saddest, weakest excuse for a human being I have ever seen at any level of government. Including Nixon.

Fuck him, and fuck his lying, raping, murderous lackeys/constituents.
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 31 times
Received rep: 54 times

Post #6316 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:08 pm

What's worse? Him or those who think he's actually doing a stand up job in office?
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #6317 by FlyHigh » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:52 am

I'm a big believer that politicians tend to just be reflections of their constituents. I think it's easy for people to see their least desirable traits and impulses reflected in politicians and blame politicians, but ultimately, he wouldn't be in office and wouldn't be behaving like this if his constituents and the Republican Party didn't allow him to.

So yeah, they're all reprehensible. One of the depressing aspects of the past couple of years is that it's becoming very clear that 35-40% of the country is actively opposed to the social progress that's occurred in this country generally since the civil rights movement and refuses to acknowledge that there's still a long way to go.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6318 by jester » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:08 am

FlyHigh wrote:I'm a big believer that politicians tend to just be reflections of their constituents. I think it's easy for people to see their least desirable traits and impulses reflected in politicians and blame politicians, but ultimately, he wouldn't be in office and wouldn't be behaving like this if his constituents and the Republican Party didn't allow him to.

So yeah, they're all reprehensible. One of the depressing aspects of the past couple of years is that it's becoming very clear that 35-40% of the country is actively opposed to the social progress that's occurred in this country generally since the civil rights movement and refuses to acknowledge that there's still a long way to go.

One caveat: they are representative of the population that votes ... (About 40% of the population didn't vote in 2016, and it is significantly lower in non-presidential years).

And, to an extent, it gets more complicated since so many people that do vote, have no fucking clue what is going on because they barely pay attention--and/or in the modern world, get a lot of bad information from social media and all the rest.

But I agree with the overarching point ... you get the government/politicians you deserve, ultimately. If we had 100% turnout--particularly if young voters turned out in higher numbers--it would transform our politics.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6319 by jester » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:09 am

Konecny HypeTrain Captain wrote:What's worse? Him or those who think he's actually doing a stand up job in office?

Him ... but largely because he has actual power.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #6320 by Hovercraft » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:31 am

The lack of concern about these bombs from the White House and repubs is so scary.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad

Post #6321 by DeadPhish » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:11 pm

Hovercraft wrote:The lack of concern about these bombs from the White House and repubs is so scary.

It's CNNs fault.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad

Post #6322 by DeadPhish » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:13 pm

And this morning, he is more concerned that he just lost alot of fake bot followers to his Twitter account, than the bombs.

An American President is complaining that he lost Twitter followers. It's unbelievable that i just typed that sentence.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #6323 by Rogers Pancreas » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:25 pm

They're not bombs, Hover. They're "Bombs". Get your grammer wright.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #6324 by FlyHigh » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:21 pm

jester wrote:
FlyHigh wrote:I'm a big believer that politicians tend to just be reflections of their constituents. I think it's easy for people to see their least desirable traits and impulses reflected in politicians and blame politicians, but ultimately, he wouldn't be in office and wouldn't be behaving like this if his constituents and the Republican Party didn't allow him to.

One caveat: they are representative of the population that votes ... (About 40% of the population didn't vote in 2016, and it is significantly lower in non-presidential years).

And, to an extent, it gets more complicated since so many people that do vote, have no fucking clue what is going on because they barely pay attention--and/or in the modern world, get a lot of bad information from social media and all the rest.

But I agree with the overarching point ... you get the government/politicians you deserve, ultimately. If we had 100% turnout--particularly if young voters turned out in higher numbers--it would transform our politics.

Yeah fair points all. I do have some hope this year that Dem turnout is going to be larger-than-predicted, the turnout they received in some of the special elections blew away expectations, I'm not sure why that optimism has disappeared now. Also kind of hope that Trump's election is a transformative moment for our generation and that we actually start showing up in larger numbers.

Have to say, I was a bit of a skeptic on the Fox News impact for a while and that ppl who watched Fox were already set in their ways, but it seems like a lot of this folks are unmoored from reality and you start to wonder how much of a role Fox plays in that.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad

Post #6325 by DeadPhish » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:31 pm

I have a few friends at work who are big on Fox News. Both of them have no perception that its skewed far to the left. They think Hannity isn't biased and is "Fair and Balanced." I get that you are going to watch the network you align more with. But when I watch Rachael Maddow, I know shes far left leaning. The dangerous thing, is alot of these folks dont understand this for what they watch..
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6326 by jester » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:47 pm

DeadPhish wrote:I have a few friends at work who are big on Fox News. Both of them have no perception that its skewed far to the left. They think Hannity isn't biased and is "Fair and Balanced." I get that you are going to watch the network you align more with. But when I watch Rachael Maddow, I know shes far left leaning. The dangerous thing, is alot of these folks dont understand this for what they watch..

The big difference between Fox and MSNBC is that MSNBC overall has ideological bent (given who they employ, it isn't nearly as liberal as people imagine). Fox, on the other hand, is ultimately a party organ. Nothing demonstrates this more than their shift from anti-Trump to being his biggest booster when it became apparent he was winning the primary.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #6327 by Craig » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:26 pm

MSNBC provides a leftist take on events. Fox provides alternative events.
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1778 times
Received rep: 819 times

Post #6328 by vonbonds » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:38 pm

NPR and PBS for me. I know they’re considered liberal but I feel like they try the most of all the broadcast stations to show more than one side to key issues.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6329 by jester » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:40 pm

vonbonds wrote:NPR and PBS for me. I know they’re considered liberal but I feel like they try the most of all the broadcast stations to show more than one side to key issues.

CNN tries very hard ... and it results in absurdities like Jeffrey Lord getting a regular gig on air.
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1778 times
Received rep: 819 times

Post #6330 by vonbonds » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:15 pm

jester wrote:
vonbonds wrote:NPR and PBS for me. I know they’re considered liberal but I feel like they try the most of all the broadcast stations to show more than one side to key issues.

CNN tries very hard ... and it results in absurdities like Jeffrey Lord getting a regular gig on air.

BREAKING NEWS CNN?

I hate that constant banner at the bottom with 24/7 breaking news.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #6331 by Rogers Pancreas » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:09 pm

In other news, middle-aged, disgruntled white guy does something irrational; everyone except him suffers.

More to come. I mean, more to follow.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #6332 by Rogers Pancreas » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:23 pm

Fun fact: You could watch 120 Days of Sodom every Sunday morning with your family for 18 years, and still come away with less emotional scarring than most ardent Bills' fans exhibit.

Return to “The Eric Wellwood Memorial”