the tendon-cy to retire is natural.
now with even more memorial.
chaosof99
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 6 times
Received rep: 22 times

Re: The HF Flyers Board Shrine of Idiocy 2

Post #2051 by chaosof99 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:05 am

I probably should have mentioned that the Forum in question is a rather close-knot user group of like 35 people. The owners like to call it an Ivory Tower. So this guy isn't exactly some rando internet idiot. Just bought way too much into New Yorker prejudice.

---------------

In other news, I would really like to know who were the 18 people who voted for Provorov in a poll of him against Slava Fetisov. I mean, I love Provy, but come the fuck on man.
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1611 times
Received rep: 750 times

Post #2052 by vonbonds » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:18 pm

That reads like a high school argument. You won’t change his mind and he won’t change yours but nevertheless on your marks, get set, go have an argument.

I grew up in central NJ and had some bad experiences visiting Philly when I was younger going to sporting events. That said after living in the Philly market for 7+ years now I know better but I still know plenty of folks that I know out of market that won’t listen to me. I could careless and say fine, stay away then as I hate crowds and you’ll be one less down here when I go into the city or game or whatever.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 86 times
Received rep: 36 times

Post #2053 by JLHockeyKnight » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:33 pm

vonbonds wrote:That reads like a high school argument. You won’t change his mind and he won’t change yours but nevertheless on your marks, get set, go have an argument.

I grew up in central NJ and had some bad experiences visiting Philly when I was younger going to sporting events. That said after living in the Philly market for 7+ years now I know better but I still know plenty of folks that I know out of market that won’t listen to me. I could careless and say fine, stay away then as I hate crowds and you’ll be one less down here when I go into the city or game or whatever.

Vice versa growing up in South Jersey and now living in Central/North Jersey. One of my best friends is a former Jets season ticket holder and would mention fights in the parking lots, so it's not like it only happens in Philly. I know some Giants fans that think Manning and his twenty interceptions per year is God's gift to football no matter how much you throw facts their way. Especially in this day and age where you can just search the internet looking for reassurance to your opinion no matter how bonkers it is, trying to change someone's opinion on Philly fans is a lost cause.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 30 times

Post #2054 by DeadPhish » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:58 am

vonbonds wrote:That reads like a high school argument. You won’t change his mind and he won’t change yours but nevertheless on your marks, get set, go have an argument.

I would still throw a snowball at you.
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1611 times
Received rep: 750 times

Post #2055 by vonbonds » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:58 am

DeadPhish wrote:

I would still throw a snowball at you.

Philly Philly
jester
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 10 times
Received rep: 102 times

Post #2056 by jester » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:32 am

The Northeast corridor is essentially one common sports culture with different factions. We are unified by crappy winter weather, bad traffic, and humid summers.

We are not special snowflakes.
Rogers Pancreas
Has given rep: 34 times
Received rep: 87 times

Post #2057 by Rogers Pancreas » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:47 am

It's funny when Nolan Patrick, who was a contender for #1, looks to be the worst pick so far

An idiotic comment for an entirely different reason than the obvious. If you go back and review the drafts from 2000 to 2010, I'd say it's more common that the "best" player drafted comes outside the first overall pick than one would expect. And I know I shouldn't care about nonsense like this, because the ultimate goal is the Stanley Cup. It just irritates me when people write such drivel.

1st DiPietro
"Best" Lundqvist

1st Kovalchuk
"Best" Kovalchuk

1st Nash
"Best" Keith

1st Fleury
"Best" SUSF

1st Ovechkin
"Best" Ovechkin

1st Crosby
"Best" Crosby

1st Johnson
"Best" Backstrom/Toews/Giroux

1st Kane
"Best" Kane

1st Stamkos
"Best" Doughty/Karlsson

1st Tavares
"Best" Tavares/Hedman

1st Hall
"Best" Seguin/Tarasenko
His Satanic Majestic Request
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #2058 by JLHockeyKnight » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:19 pm

Patrick is only 19 fucking years old. Let's go ahead and say he's the worst pick in the draft 55 games into his career.

That comment is beyond dumb.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #2059 by jester » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:14 pm

JLHockeyKnight wrote:Patrick is only 19 fucking years old. Let's go ahead and say he's the worst pick in the draft 55 games into his career.

55 GP 3G 4A -6 ... one of the best players of his generation.

Patrick looks like he's going to be very, very good. It's pretty fun watching him get his legs under him over the last month or so.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #2060 by JLHockeyKnight » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:55 am

jester wrote:
JLHockeyKnight wrote:Patrick is only 19 fucking years old. Let's go ahead and say he's the worst pick in the draft 55 games into his career.

55 GP 3G 4A -6 ... one of the best players of his generation.

Patrick looks like he's going to be very, very good. It's pretty fun watching him get his legs under him over the last month or so.

It's funny, I was at the comeback against Toronto for Lindros night and my buddy says something along the lines "Patrick would be really good already if he just skated, takes too much time gliding." Early in the game you could tell he was skating. And then he scored that wrap-around goal and you could feel the momentum shift.

I won't claim to know anything about sports hernias, but I've always seen them as a injury that just takes time to get back to 100% even after the player returns to the lineup. Giroux had a similar situation if my memory serves me correctly. So I'm not shocked the kid has been slow to start his career. If you give him this off season to workout and build muscle, I'm very optimistic about him next season.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #2061 by jester » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:17 am

And don't forget the concussion, too.

He's been creating a lot of chances lately, and the production is starting to show up.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #2062 by JLHockeyKnight » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:50 pm

jester wrote:And don't forget the concussion, too.

He's been creating a lot of chances lately, and the production is starting to show up.

Won't lie. I completely forgot about that.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #2063 by chaosof99 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:35 pm

Not HF, but holy fucking shit.

No sarcasm. I played hockey for a lot of years and understand locker room chemistry just as any player who has been around would.

A few years back, I believe during Giroux's rookie year, he was being filmed while hanging with veteran Scott Hartnell. He wasn't saying much but his body language and silent attitude screamed attitude and prima donna.

That's when I made my decision.

Shortly after the Flyer's chose to keep Giroux and got rid of the party animals. Hartnell, Richards, Carter...all gone.

Overall who do you think won in that battle? Flyers and Giroux or the guys with the Stanley Cups?
Rogers Pancreas

Post #2064 by Rogers Pancreas » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:03 pm

Reddit: Worse than being trapped in a room full of someone else's beer-farts.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #2065 by jester » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:58 am

Trade analysis aside ... I don't think anyone has ever disliked Hartnell personally.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #2066 by chaosof99 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:10 pm

Just FYI, the thread from the above reddit post has gotten better since.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #2067 by chaosof99 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:51 am

Flipping through the trade boards because the Deadline is next monday and this guy called The Madrigal is starting to annoy me a lot. Makes a billion trade posts involving the Flyers and one is shittier than the next, including idiotic statements like:

[Sanheim]'s a fantastic trade chip the Flyers can use to get a young stud forward that they are really lacking.

For one, Flyers need defensemen more than forwards. Secondly defensemen are more valuable than forwards, and finally: Patrick, Konecny, Lindblom, Frost. Oh we are so lacking of young stud forwards.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #2068 by jester » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:48 pm

chaosof99 wrote:Flipping through the trade boards because the Deadline is next monday and this guy called The Madrigal is starting to annoy me a lot. Makes a billion trade posts involving the Flyers and one is shittier than the next, including idiotic statements like:

[Sanheim]'s a fantastic trade chip the Flyers can use to get a young stud forward that they are really lacking.

For one, Flyers need defensemen more than forwards. Secondly defensemen are more valuable than forwards, and finally: Patrick, Konecny, Lindblom, Frost. Oh we are so lacking of young stud forwards.

You probably don't want to read the BSH piece breaking down the idea/rumor of a Sanheim for Reinhart trade ...
Rogers Pancreas

Post #2069 by Rogers Pancreas » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:50 pm

No.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #2070 by Rogers Pancreas » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:55 pm

I think Giroux playing on a team that also has Voracek (league assist leader), Gostisbehere (potential defenseman scoring leader), and Couturier (potential 40 goal score and Selke candidate) really hurts his chances.

That's not to take anything away from how good he's been this year. I just feel that MVP should go to the guy who without him, his team would be light-years worse. A player who's clearly the best player and driving force behind his team.

Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 29 times
Received rep: 30 times

Post #2071 by Hovercraft » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 pm

HF can't stay online at all today. Barely even any trades either.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #2072 by chaosof99 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:53 pm

Got no specific posts really, but oh boy that persecution complex from Bruins fans on HF and reddit alike after Marchand once again engaged in an awful retaliatory act.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #2073 by Rogers Pancreas » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:32 pm

You know, that was beyond fucking stupid. I don't think that play really warranted a suspension in and of itself, but 1) it's Brad fucking Marchand and 2) I think I've been conditioned to think this way over the years by the NHL's own ineptitude. If we're calling a spade a spade, the guy has a history of doing dumb shit, and it was a cross-check to a prone player's face. We don't need a stretcher to make the right call. We need competent people in the NHL to say "that was really fucking dumb, and we don't want it in our game." Full stop.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #2074 by chaosof99 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:21 pm

Marchand got fined $5,000 btw. A slap to the wrist, particularly consider his history, but at least it's something. So much for the ridiculous bullshit from Boston fans of "this kind of stuff happens every game. Hardly even worth the 2 minute penalty".
Rogers Pancreas

Post #2075 by Rogers Pancreas » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:28 pm

For posterity's sake (taken from Wikipedia):

Marchand's list of foul play includes a two-game suspension for elbowing R. J. Umberger in March 2011; a $2,500 fine for slew-footing Matt Niskanen in December 2011; a five-game ban for a predatory low-bridge hit on Sami Salo in January 2012; two games for slew-footing Derick Brassard in January 2015; and three games for clipping Mark Borowiecki in December 2015. In February 2017, the league docked Marchand $10,000, the maximum allowable amount per the collective bargaining agreement, for a dangerous trip of Detroit Red Wings defenceman Niklas Kronwall.[2] In April 2017, Marchand was handed another two-game suspension for spearing Tampa Bay defenceman Jake Dotchin, marking the fifth time Marchand has been suspended for dirty and dangerous play.[3] In January 2018, Marchand was again suspended for five games for what was ruled a deliberate elbow to the head of Marcus Johansson. [4] In April 2018, Marchand was fined $5,000, the maximum allowable under the collective bargaining agreement, for cross-checking Philadelphia Flyers defenceman Andrew MacDonald.[5]

link

The figureheads of WGR were talking about Marchand today, after ripping the league apart (along with Hartnell), and when you say it out loud it sounds even more ridiculous. MacDonald was on the ice, and Marchand hit him (MacDonald) in the face with his (Marchand's) stick. Brad Marchand has been suspended six times already. But, he's getting fined for $5,000.

:paulrus:
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #2076 by JLHockeyKnight » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:18 pm

chaosof99 wrote:Marchand got fined $5,000 btw. A slap to the wrist, particularly consider his history, but at least it's something. So much for the ridiculous bullshit from Boston fans of "this kind of stuff happens every game. Hardly even worth the 2 minute penalty".

I didn't think it was suspension worthy and $5,000 is the maximum allowed per the CBA. So probably the most I'd expect.

I wish the CBA allowed for the maximum fine as a percentage of the player's salary. I'm sure the $5,000 is to protect the kid making $900,000 a year. If they based it on percentage the hit to someone like Marchand would be a lot larger. Of course, I can't see the NHLPA ever agreeing to that.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #2077 by chaosof99 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:37 am

Rogers Pancreas

Post #2078 by Rogers Pancreas » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:26 pm

What's the old adage about rubbing salt over a fully healed wound?
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #2079 by chaosof99 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:13 am

This summer is going to be either hilarious or unbearable, depending on perspective.

So does Toronto now have the best Centers in the league?

Obviously the answer is no.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 21 times

Post #2080 by FlyHigh » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:30 am

I dunno if that's laughable. People are just chucking in Brassard, but he no-showed the Caps series and got bumped to the 4th line in favor of Riley Sheahan.

I'd probably still take Pitt, but Matthews is really freaking good and Kadri is way overqualified for 3C.

Return to “The Eric Wellwood Memorial Forum”