now with even more memorial.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 30 times
Received rep: 9 times

Re: The HF Flyers Board Shrine of Idiocy 2

Post #2001 by GoneFullHextall » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:51 pm

Rogers Pancreas wrote:
GoneFullHextall wrote:I am not sold on Mason being chased out. If his agent Biron'd his client than that is not Hextall's or the Flyers fault.
True, but it doesn't make losing Biron or Mason easy on those of us who feel those two were far and away the most stable options we've had in net for some time.

Oh, I know. I don't know where Mason is on Hextall's priority list. But if Mason and his agent are demanding a contract Hextall is uncomfortable with than what do you do?
I am completely against giving any goalie a 4 or 5 years. If Mason wants 5 years, tell him good luck on July 1. There are other options.
dbr
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 11 times
Received rep: 2 times

Post #2002 by dbr » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:23 pm

If Mason's agent feels his client is valued that highly around the league, Mason needs a new agent. I can't see him getting a contract longer than 3 years.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad

Post #2003 by GoneFullHextall » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:46 pm

I agree.
didn't Biron fire his agent after the fiasco that summer?
chaosof99
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 6 times
Received rep: 15 times

Post #2004 by chaosof99 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:51 pm

GoneFullHextall wrote:I agree.
didn't Biron fire his agent after the fiasco that summer?

Yes, he did.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #2005 by chaosof99 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:56 am

Mainboard thread about how the NHL should adjust the salary cap based on state level income taxes. All sorts of fun, particularly when the "taxation is theft" crowd shows up.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 4 times
Received rep: 12 times

Post #2006 by FlyHigh » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:09 am

I don't think the idea is necessarily ludicrous on its face, but probably completely impracticable.
jester
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 8 times
Received rep: 74 times

Post #2007 by jester » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:04 am

It's not moronic, but definitely impractical. First problem would be that contracts are mobile. This is an issue in free agency (maybe), but it isn't like that contract signed in Dallas or Florida can't be dealt to Montreal. So, Montreal would be able to leverage that change into an advantage in acquiring contracts from other teams.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #2008 by FlyHigh » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:12 am

Yeah you'd have to build in some kind of "cap space forfeiture" into situations like that (and then a "cap space gain" for the opposite kind of move), but that would get unwieldy very quickly; how do you treat ELCs in that scenario....just gets impossible. And any system like that would end up penalizing a number of US small-market teams as well which already need all the help they can get (I'm sure Radulov isn't the only guy that's made a US city/Canada comparison and gone with the US).
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 18 times
Received rep: 13 times

Post #2009 by Kilgore Trout » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:35 am

I mean there's a ton of external factors that differentiate cities. E.G., an NYC player probably pays a higher tax, but also probably has more and more lucrative endorsement opportunities. Tampa might have low taxes, but then you have to live in Tampa.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #2010 by jester » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:02 pm

Kilgore Trout wrote:I mean there's a ton of external factors that differentiate cities. E.G., an NYC player probably pays a higher tax, but also probably has more and more lucrative endorsement opportunities. Tampa might have low taxes, but then you have to live in Tampa.

I'm betting most of those Tampa guys have a nice setup down there ...

Additionally, I did my bachelor party in Tampa (spring training), and they have a stupidly good steakhouse there.

As to the larger point, absolutely. There's a reason NBA players gravitate towards LA and NYC. Then you have Durant, where it sounds like half the reason he went to the Warriors was his investment biz.
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad

Post #2011 by Kilgore Trout » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:25 pm

Yea, there weren't many good non-Canadian NHL/low-tax cities to shit on. I'm sure Tampa's plenty nice with a mansion an a pool.

No Jacksonville or OKC in the bunch.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #2012 by FlyHigh » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:35 pm

I'm curious how much the average NHLer is pulling in endorsement deals. If you're Sam Gagner or Karl Alzner, maybe you pick up some local stuff, but how much does it contribute to the bottom line?

And I think one of the trends in the NBA recently has been guys being willing to forgo traditional large media markets in order to win. Redick chose the Sixers ahead of the Nets, Chris Paul just left the Clips for Houston, Melo wants out of NYC, Gordon Hayward just picked Boston (admittedly outsize media presence, but still), etc.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #2013 by jester » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:55 pm

FlyHigh wrote:I'm curious how much the average NHLer is pulling in endorsement deals. If you're Sam Gagner or Karl Alzner, maybe you pick up some local stuff, but how much does it contribute to the bottom line?

And I think one of the trends in the NBA recently has been guys being willing to forgo traditional large media markets in order to win. Redick chose the Sixers ahead of the Nets, Chris Paul just left the Clips for Houston, Melo wants out of NYC, Gordon Hayward just picked Boston (admittedly outsize media presence, but still), etc.

For high value free agents, NBA money has definitely begun to change the calculus. Importantly, though, in Paul and Melo ... they did get themselves to the cities before deciding to move on. I think Miami, NYC, and LA will always have an advantage (Knicks just need to cease being dysfunctional).
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad

Post #2014 by Kilgore Trout » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:58 pm

FlyHigh wrote:I'm curious how much the average NHLer is pulling in endorsement deals. If you're Sam Gagner or Karl Alzner, maybe you pick up some local stuff, but how much does it contribute to the bottom line?

I've always been curious about the shitty local ads. For example, on my way to work today I heard Brandon Graham mail in an advert for some local business on the radio. And, you see other even more mid and down roster players from all the teams doing random ads, including random Flyers. I mean, they must get something worthwhile out of it?
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #2015 by FlyHigh » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:59 pm

jester wrote:

For high value free agents, NBA money has definitely begun to change the calculus. Importantly, though, in Paul and Melo ... they did get themselves to the cities before deciding to move on. I think Miami, NYC, and LA will always have an advantage (Knicks just need to cease being dysfunctional).

I think over the course of the past 5 years though, that traditional NYC/LA dynamic has started to change (would also note that Blake being in LA was definitely a factor in Paul's decision and Melo is from NYC). The stars/superstars have started to realize that they can monetize themselves and their brands wherever they go.

Kilgore Trout wrote:

I've always been curious about the shitty local ads. For example, on my way to work today I heard Brandon Graham mail in an advert for some local business on the radio. And, you see other even more mid and down roster players from all the teams doing random ads, including random Flyers. I mean, they must get something worthwhile out of it?

I'm fascinated by this too, you could tell me $3K or $25K and I'd believe either.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #2016 by chaosof99 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:18 pm

For one thing, the idea of tying salaries to state taxes is completely impractical. It makes trades all but impossible, it makes it impossible to gauge any expenditures or other items because taxation levels could be changed mid-season, etc. It also makes no sense because you could name any other number of factors that influence players lives like gas taxes, housing costs, living expenses, etc. I am also not an expert but it also appears that taxes when playing a road game are to be paid to the state the road game is in. If that is true it makes that a complete and total mess.

Furthermore, it also makes no sense on a surface level. Players already take these kinds of things into consideration for a large part. Still doesn't stop teams like Toronto or the Rangers from attracting the biggest free agents on the market.

The most annoying guy in the thread is this Rick74 guy who just constantly posts the same shit about Tampa being able to "outspend" Toronto by $10 million. So fucking what? There are other factors at play as well that are both dependent on the team itself as well as the state the team is in. Conveniently those factors are ignored entirely.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #2017 by FlyHigh » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:31 pm

The issue isn't so much with Toronto/NYR as it is with some smaller market teams, especially Canadian ones. EDM/WPG/Calgary/Ottawa are already unattractive markets for a number of fairly obvious reasons. The fact that a guy signing for the Oilers has to pay Canadian taxes instead of US (in addition to living in Edmonton) could be a tough blow, particularly for non-stars.

I think we all agree that the fix isn't feasible, but I can see why some fans/teams would be somewhat upset.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 33 times
Received rep: 21 times

Post #2018 by CantSeeColors » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:20 pm

How big is the Canada/US tax difference?
Rogers Pancreas
Has given rep: 20 times
Received rep: 54 times

Post #2019 by Rogers Pancreas » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:36 pm

jester wrote:It's not moronic, but definitely impractical. First problem would be that contracts are mobile. This is an issue in free agency (maybe), but it isn't like that contract signed in Dallas or Florida can't be dealt to Montreal. So, Montreal would be able to leverage that change into an advantage in acquiring contracts from other teams.

It's probably something that should be done five or so years after the initial proposal is put into effect, once multiple teams have raped the loop-hole to their advantage.
His Satanic Majestic Request
Rogers Pancreas

Post #2020 by Rogers Pancreas » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:57 pm

NarcoPolo wrote:Maybe for forwards, but you can find quality defensemen later on in the draft way more frequently than you can find similar quality forwards. Hence why dmen take longer to develop.

Everything about this is literally wrong.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #2021 by FlyHigh » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:57 pm

CantSeeColors wrote:How big is the Canada/US tax difference?

Probably depends on province, but seems like at least a few percent based on this calculator: https://simpletax.ca/calculator
Rogers Pancreas

Post #2022 by Rogers Pancreas » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:54 pm

Jtown wrote:I think it is fair for this fanbase to have an expectation of what nolan patrick will become, that way going forward we can judge how successful, instead of not having expectations and goals for him where he can be as successful as a fanboy such as yourself wants him to be.

An equally dimwitted comment from the gutter.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #2023 by jester » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:53 am

chaosof99 wrote:For one thing, the idea of tying salaries to state taxes is completely impractical. It makes trades all but impossible, it makes it impossible to gauge any expenditures or other items because taxation levels could be changed mid-season, etc. It also makes no sense because you could name any other number of factors that influence players lives like gas taxes, housing costs, living expenses, etc. I am also not an expert but it also appears that taxes when playing a road game are to be paid to the state the road game is in. If that is true it makes that a complete and total mess.

Furthermore, it also makes no sense on a surface level. Players already take these kinds of things into consideration for a large part. Still doesn't stop teams like Toronto or the Rangers from attracting the biggest free agents on the market.

The most annoying guy in the thread is this Rick74 guy who just constantly posts the same shit about Tampa being able to "outspend" Toronto by $10 million. So fucking what? There are other factors at play as well that are both dependent on the team itself as well as the state the team is in. Conveniently those factors are ignored entirely.

Some of these problems are easily dealt with. For example, you'd set the cap calculation based on tax code as of July 1. And, yes, games played on the road get taxed locally, but that is already a mess and could easily get rolled into a new calculation.

I also think you are kidding yourself if you think players don't take taxes into account. We get less reporting on hockey, but it's a fact of life that athletes game their residency status to lower their tax burden. Derek Jeter "lived" in Florida to escape NY taxes as much as possible, for example. So, if you are in a hard cap league, then local taxes matter a great deal ... and do represent an advantage or disadvantage.

So, it's an issue ... but that's life.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #2024 by jester » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:55 am

CantSeeColors wrote:How big is the Canada/US tax difference?

Montreal has high taxes. I remember Briere made a few million more because he signed with us. Of course, NJ has high taxes too.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #2025 by Rogers Pancreas » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:26 pm

Is this one of the dumbest running threads going:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... t134895303

Yes it is, Barry.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 57 times
Received rep: 26 times

Post #2026 by JLHockeyKnight » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:21 pm

Rogers Pancreas wrote:Is this one of the dumbest running threads going:

Yes it is, Barry.

Christ, that site is ridiculously unreadable even with Ad Block Plus and Blur installed. Still got ads everywhere.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad

Post #2027 by GoneFullHextall » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:08 am

JLHockeyKnight wrote:
Rogers Pancreas wrote:Is this one of the dumbest running threads going:

Yes it is, Barry.

Christ, that site is ridiculously unreadable even with Ad Block Plus and Blur installed. Still got ads everywhere.

you cannot view that site anymore when you are not signed in.
I refuse to download any ad blocking site as its the only site that I have issues with crap like that.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #2028 by chaosof99 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:26 pm

GoneFullHextall wrote:I refuse to download any ad blocking site as its the only site that I have issues with crap like that.

You should just do it anyways. Ads are usually bad to begin with, and furthermore online ads can often be vectors for transfer for malware, which isn't even necessarily the fault of the site you are visiting.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #2029 by chaosof99 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:48 am

Hey, they actually managed to update their forum software for the first time in the last 8 years or so.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #2030 by chaosof99 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:36 am

This has been going around twitter. Laughed my ass off from screenshots of the original. Unfortunately they have now corrected the most hilarious thing which was in the original from "Cam Talbot games" to "Cam Talbot wins". Still, the comparison between Draisaitl's and Crosby's predicted points is absolute *chef's kiss*
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #2031 by JLHockeyKnight » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:04 am

So I guess he browses there in his free time?
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 17 times

Post #2032 by Hovercraft » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:55 am

JLHockeyKnight wrote:https://twitter.com/jachobe/status/916178980461350912

So I guess he browses there in his free time?

Hahaha what a callout. Was he tweeting at him?
Rogers Pancreas

Post #2033 by Rogers Pancreas » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:44 pm

Time for another game of, name these defensemen...

149GP 25G 70A 95PTS (.638PPG) 19:49MIN/GP 65.2%OZS 34.8%DEFZS

85GP 14G 38A 52PTS (.612PPG) 21:00MIN/GP 55.8%OZS 44.2%DEFZS
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #2034 by chaosof99 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:37 pm

Rogers Pancreas

Post #2035 by Rogers Pancreas » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:23 pm

At first I thought that was about that douche Hatcher.

Like having size or playing physical has shit to do with fuck when it comes to winning games.

Let's ignore that we're currently dressing Filppula, Weise, Read, Raffl, and Lehtera (five guys who have a combined 8 goals and 13 points between them). Let's ignore that our defense has MacDonald and Manning playing regular minutes along with two rookies. And let's ignore that the insurance policy responsible for keeping this show from going straight to shit had a cumulative 0.903 save percentage last year.

Size... that's the issue here!
Rogers Pancreas

Post #2036 by Rogers Pancreas » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:22 pm

hatcher wrote:Every time the puck goes in Guds corner all flyer players stop skating and that says it all. LOL. Guds a good friend thats why I bring him up lots guys.

I ask this in all seriousness. Is hatcher... okay? Not the hockey player, but the poster.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #2037 by Rogers Pancreas » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:24 pm

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/t ... r.2418519/

Shit like this makes me wonder:

1. What St.Louis/Nashville would offer up for Simmonds
2. Whether or not Anaheim would have won their Cup had they traded Selanne
Rogers Pancreas

Post #2038 by Rogers Pancreas » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:50 am

For the lolz...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/i ... d.2421415/
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/i ... d.2420437/
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/a ... -138846035

And the obligatory pile-on post...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/d ... t.2420893/

----------------------------------------

Regarding the last thread: I looked at several of our own forwards' (e.g. Williams, Gagne, Richards, Carter, Downie, Giroux, JVR, and Couturier) GC/GP and PPG, and they tend to peak about the age of 24. They also tend to decline between the ages of 25 and 30, but the decline observed is significantly more gradual than the progression from 18-24 - Richards and Downie both being the obvious exceptions to the rule. So, if anyone feels inclined to make any final judgements on Nolan Patrick before the year 2023, feel free to PM me your credit card number, billing address, CV Code, and expiration date, so I can show you exactly why that's a bad idea.

[I still stand behind Hextall's decision to move Schenn. He might be breaking out at 26, but if Richards and Downie are any indication his decline is going to be severe. And for two first-round picks, I'll take my chances.]
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #2039 by JLHockeyKnight » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:18 pm

Rogers Pancreas wrote:
[I still stand behind Hextall's decision to move Schenn. He might be breaking out at 26, but if Richards and Downie are any indication his decline is going to be severe. And for two first-round picks, I'll take my chances.]

Be it our scouts, management, dumb luck, whatever, I've always believed that if there is ONE thing the Flyers are good at, it's drafting quality NHL players. So if you ask me, draft picks are more valuable in a trade to other teams that are more likely to blow those picks on players that don't pan out. So those two picks are pretty valuable to us. Also, we have a bunch of players that we're building now that are either young NHL players or soon to be NHL players in the next couple of years. If you want to continue to sustain success once they get squared away, you have to keep new talent coming in the pipeline. As you said, a 20 year old player now will peak in a few years and gradually decline. So keeping the prospect pool stocked so that you can supplement with other players to pick up some slack is vital for success.

Probably stated the obvious once or twice in that paragraph but fuck it I'm not going back and editing it.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #2040 by FlyHigh » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:02 pm

The Schenn thing is really confusing to me. Even though the raw point totals are unsustainable, it seems like that line has been dominant at ES. Maybe Tarasenko is just that good.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #2041 by JLHockeyKnight » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:36 pm

FlyHigh wrote:The Schenn thing is really confusing to me. Even though the raw point totals are unsustainable, it seems like that line has been dominant at ES. Maybe Tarasenko is just that good.

Since 14/15, he's 7th in points and is a +50. And he obviously passes the eye test. Yeah, I'd say he's just that good.
MiD
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 25 times
Received rep: 6 times

Post #2042 by MiD » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:08 pm

FlyHigh wrote:The Schenn thing is really confusing to me. Even though the raw point totals are unsustainable, it seems like that line has been dominant at ES. Maybe Tarasenko is just that good.
Look at Lethera contract, he should give Tarasenko 75% of that money.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #2043 by FlyHigh » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:36 pm

Hmm yeah that makes sense, wonder what would happen if they actually put him with a guy like Backstrom.

Return to “The Eric Wellwood Memorial Forum”