the tendon-cy to retire is natural.
now with even more memorial.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 20 times

Re: Music/Movies/TV/Games/Books/Podcasts 2

Post #1401 by FlyHigh » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:54 pm

Oh yeah 100%. No idea where they go in Season 3.
dbr
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 19 times
Received rep: 3 times

Post #1402 by dbr » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:00 pm

If you guys are looking for hockey podcasts, The Pulp Hockey Show with Ray Ferraro is pretty great. Talks about the entire league. He also tells some really funny stories about his playing days.
jester
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 94 times

Post #1403 by jester » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:54 pm

FlyHigh wrote:Huge fan here but I think it might only work if you watch it late at night with some kind of alcoholic beverage.

I watched season 1, and maybe 2 episodes of season 2 (which was better apparently, but I was already headed out the door). Off the charts good acting, and some individually great episodes/moments, but man did it feel like a pile of mush if you held it up to the light and really looked at it.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #1404 by jester » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:14 am

In other news, there is something about playing Battlefield 1 while streaming Christmas Carols through Spotify ... cheerful warfare!
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1552 times
Received rep: 712 times

Post #1405 by vonbonds » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:24 am

jester wrote:
FlyHigh wrote:Huge fan here but I think it might only work if you watch it late at night with some kind of alcoholic beverage.

I watched season 1, and maybe 2 episodes of season 2 (which was better apparently, but I was already headed out the door). Off the charts good acting, and some individually great episodes/moments, but man did it feel like a pile of mush if you held it up to the light and really looked at it.

This was me exactly. I meam I think I finished season 1 before I bailed.. :pacman:
VLoo
Has given rep: 75 times
Received rep: 93 times

Post #1406 by VLoo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:26 am

vonbonds wrote:
jester wrote:

This was me exactly. I meam I think I finished season 1 before I bailed.. :pacman:

Not sure there's anything you do without an alcoholic beverage though. Drive, presumably. That's about it.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #1407 by vonbonds » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:28 am

I haven't had a drink since Thursday

Which is when I got sick :colbert:
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 28 times
Received rep: 30 times

Post #1408 by Hovercraft » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:05 am

jester wrote:

I wasn't sure if I liked the show after S1 but S2 was some of the best TV I've ever seen. Still pretty "mushy" at times but definitely stronger than season 1.

and re: westworld, the things you point out must be why they had to do so many re-writes and re-shoots during production. I remember reading that it was pretty delayed and a clusterfuck for awhile.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #1409 by FlyHigh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:10 am

jester wrote:

Curious what you mean by "pile of mush."

I think there are definitely absurdities within the show. The Liv Tyler story-line in Season 2 gets relatively ridiculous (I think the last episode of Season 2 is too far-fetched even for this show), the Holy Wayne story-line in Season 1 is kind of hokey, etc. But ultimately, it's just his vision of a family/community that's been impacted by this event.

Outside of the supernatural elements and some dramatic license (last episodes of both Season 1 and Season 2 are probably a bit over the line), I found the story to be relatively "realistic" in that I buy the way that people/communities are reacting to the event.

The character development over the course of the show is also just top-notch.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #1410 by jester » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:26 am

Example: the magic blasian baby storyline and its conclusion on a doorstep in season 1. It was a massive WTF in the end.

Much like Westworld, the philosophical/situational core of the show is interesting, but delivery is a bit dubious.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #1411 by FlyHigh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:29 am

I don't see what's "WTF" about that or outside of the realm of normal TV story-telling. I guess SPOILERS here for ppl that might want to see the show and haven't.

1) Young woman (girl? yikes.) is pregnant.
2) On the run from FBI and are under the influence of a cultist figure (the Holy Wayne thing is hokey as I said, but considering the cult leaders we've had in the US, not unbelievable).
3) Has baby.
4) Decides she wants nothing to do w/ baby (like, sucks, but it happens).
5) Now young man is left with a baby he has no connection to.
6) Young man goes and dumps baby at parent's house.
7) Nora, having previously lost her entire family including 2 young children, decides she wants to care for the baby.

I mean, sure, there is probably some dramatic license there, but I don't find that story-line to be especially fantastical.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #1412 by jester » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:33 am

It isn't. But it was setup as profound (and magical) when it was actually boring as shit.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #1413 by FlyHigh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:39 am

So this isn't as much "pile of mush" as it is "boring as shit."

Which, to be honest, I completely understand.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #1414 by jester » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:03 pm

But it's boring because it's a pile of mush. It was (haven't seen much of season 2) a show that made some big storytelling "promises" early on, which largely proved empty and/or poorly thought out. Acting, direction, and music (at times) papered over those flaws to a degree, but if you looked under the hood there was not much there beyond a really depressing atmosphere with characters muddling through.

As a standalone movie, a character study of how families might react to such an event is interesting stuff. As a 10 hour season, it begins to collapse without some other plot driver. So, you end up with these narrative elements that are kind of dead ends. (Sidenote: I think one problem is likely that they remained pretty true to the scope of the book from what I understand.)
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #1415 by Hovercraft » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:21 pm

I think you need to at least watch all of season 2 before throwing it out. Lindelof definitely likes keeping things mysterious, but it came together really well and will be done after season 3. Best depiction of depression/shock/etc I have seen writing wise and acting wise in any TV show (Maybe Rectify can challenge this now). The whole show is pretty much depression personified. I think a character study is much more effective over 10, 20, etc episodes than a stand alone movie. The main problem with movies these days is that there is no time for character and world building and everything ends up cliched and rushed.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #1416 by FlyHigh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:31 pm

I didn't feel like there were large promises made in Season 1. Felt like he had a story to tell about that upstate NY town and that family after this phenomenon and he told it. Didn't feel cheated or anything at the end. I wonder if you're getting at the fact that we didn't really see how American society as a whole reacted to the event or the lack of some kind of broader plot line. That did not really bother me. Will cop to probably being in the minority of people that really did like Season 1 though.

And yeah completely agree with Hover on Season 2 which is just a masterpiece (outside of maybe the last episode, but just my opinion there of course).
jester
Registered Broad

Post #1417 by jester » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:41 pm

Having a kid means that TV writers need to earn 10 hours of my life. Honestly, those first 10 hours were pretty meh, but the next 10 they found their groove ... not an appealing pitch.

I still haven't seen season 2 of Fargo, and it's first season was spectacular.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #1418 by Hovercraft » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:46 pm

Season 2 of Fargo was amazing as well. I think I still like season 1 more, but that's mostly due to Thornton and Freeman
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 81 times
Received rep: 36 times

Post #1419 by JLHockeyKnight » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:03 pm

dbr wrote:If you guys are looking for hockey podcasts, The Pulp Hockey Show with Ray Ferraro is pretty great. Talks about the entire league. He also tells some really funny stories about his playing days.

I'll give it a try, thanks for the heads up.

Puck Soup still wins as my favorite hockey podcast though.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #1420 by JLHockeyKnight » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:28 pm

Black Mirror is awesome.
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 15 times

Post #1421 by Kilgore Trout » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:22 pm

JLHockeyKnight wrote:Black Mirror is awesome.

Sure is, though the new Netflix season was more hit or miss than the original run.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #1422 by JLHockeyKnight » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:56 pm

I have watched the first 3 episodes of the new season. First one was cringe worthy because I despise the Facebook obsessions in some people but it was well executed. The second one was really good. No shock with Dan Trachtenberg attached. Third one was meh.
VLoo

Post #1423 by VLoo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:54 pm

I watched the 1st episode based on praise from some friends, but they didn't tell me the subject matter going in, just that every episode is its own story kind of thing... I honestly laughed when the premise is revealed, like no way that's real. But it was really good, and pretty fascinating, tbh. Made me think uncomfortable things.

Also, if you're into getting murder boners, John Wick 2 is better than the 1st one somehow.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #1424 by Hovercraft » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:55 am

Yeah Black Mirror is great. Very grating and hard to watch at times but very poignant and thought provoking.

Make sure you go back and watch some of S1 and S2 as well, The Christmas special at the end of S2, White Christmas, is likely the best episode and is 90 minutes long.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad

Post #1425 by DeadPhish » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:17 am

Havent caught the new season yet, but watched the original run a few years ago. The one episode with people recording with smartphones (dont want to give anything else away), its really good.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #1426 by JLHockeyKnight » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:38 pm

VLoo wrote:I watched the 1st episode based on praise from some friends, but they didn't tell me the subject matter going in, just that every episode is its own story kind of thing... I honestly laughed when the premise is revealed, like no way that's real. But it was really good, and pretty fascinating, tbh. Made me think uncomfortable things.

Also, if you're into getting murder boners, John Wick 2 is better than the 1st one somehow.

Kevin Smith had a funny episode of Smodcast like a year ago about that first episode of Black Mirror and it was really damn funny.

They win you in with shock value to start the show, but there are some episodes that are absolutely superb.

Also, looking forward to John Wick 2. Probably will wait for it to be out and watch it at home, but glad they made another.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #1427 by JLHockeyKnight » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:42 pm

DeadPhish wrote:Havent caught the new season yet, but watched the original run a few years ago. The one episode with people recording with smartphones (dont want to give anything else away), its really good.

That's probably my favorite episode, if you're talking about White Bear.

Also, San Junipero, which is in the new season, was really good. Trying to avoid spoilers, but it's nothing like White Bear, but really well executed.

The rest have been anywhere from Good to Great on my scale, essentially haven't felt like a single episode was a waste of my time.

A lot of these episodes would have made awesome movies. Too bad movie studios are more focused on reboots than new original stories.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #1428 by JLHockeyKnight » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:43 pm

Hovercraft wrote:Yeah Black Mirror is great. Very grating and hard to watch at times but very poignant and thought provoking.

Make sure you go back and watch some of S1 and S2 as well, The Christmas special at the end of S2, White Christmas, is likely the best episode and is 90 minutes long.

The Christmas episodes is probably the other one in my top 3: White Bear, White Christmas, and San Junipero.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 43 times
Received rep: 11 times

Post #1429 by GoneFullHextall » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:51 pm

been watching The Americans on Amazon.
good stuff.
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad
Received rep: 15 times

Post #1430 by Kilgore Trout » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:09 pm

JLHockeyKnight wrote:
DeadPhish wrote:Havent caught the new season yet, but watched the original run a few years ago. The one episode with people recording with smartphones (dont want to give anything else away), its really good.

That's probably my favorite episode, if you're talking about White Bear.

Also, San Junipero, which is in the new season, was really good. Trying to avoid spoilers, but it's nothing like White Bear, but really well executed.

The rest have been anywhere from Good to Great on my scale, essentially haven't felt like a single episode was a waste of my time.

A lot of these episodes would have made awesome movies. Too bad movie studios are more focused on reboots than new original stories.

San Junipero was hands down the best episode of the Netflix run of episodes.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #1431 by JLHockeyKnight » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:07 pm

By the way, the lead detective in the last episode of the Netflix run (Hated in the Nation) is the voice of the princess in Disney's Brave. Wow she has a unique voice.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #1432 by Hovercraft » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:09 am

She's Nucky's wife on boardwalk Empire too
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #1433 by JLHockeyKnight » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:40 am

Oh awesome. Had no idea. Boardwalk Empire is on my eventual watch list.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #1434 by vonbonds » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:59 am

How violent is Boardwalk Empire? My wife has a hard time watching really violent shows.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #1435 by jester » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:45 am

I've only seen a few episodes, but I know someone gets their throat slit with a straight razor.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad

Post #1436 by DeadPhish » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:20 am

vonbonds wrote:How violent is Boardwalk Empire? My wife has a hard time watching really violent shows.

Less than the Sopranos, more than the Wire.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #1437 by Hovercraft » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:50 am

It is definitely a violent show, but also one of the best shows I've watched. The setting and acting were amazing. I would think it's more violent than the Sopranos though, at least certain seasons.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #1438 by vonbonds » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:26 pm

I've heard nothing but good things about it. My wife bailed on Breaking Bad after the third season. She said she couldn't take the brutality of it.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 44 times
Received rep: 32 times

Post #1439 by CantSeeColors » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:26 pm

If you want to hear something other than a good thing about it, I found boardwalk empire to be really boring
Sweet Dee
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 11 times
Received rep: 16 times

Post #1440 by Sweet Dee » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:30 pm

CantSeeColors wrote:If you want to hear something other than a good thing about it, I found boardwalk empire to be really boring

I would have to agree with you. We watched the first few seasons and didn't really have a desire to pick it back up. Maybe eventually.

I've REALLY been enjoying 'The Man in the High Castle' on Amazon lately.
VLoo

Post #1441 by VLoo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:32 pm

Yeah, I got about a season and a half in and was like, nah fam.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #1442 by Hovercraft » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:50 pm

Peaky Blinders is another great gangster show, similar time period but set in the UK.
VLoo

Post #1443 by VLoo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:07 pm

And a billion times better
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #1444 by FlyHigh » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:25 pm

I like Peaky Blinders and I like Cillian Murphy, but so much trouble buying him in that ass-kicking role. It always takes me out of the show for a sec whenever he starts stomping someone; I always think "that guy looks 5'8, 150 lbs tops."
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #1445 by Hovercraft » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:51 pm

I like Cillian in it, I think the role suits him fine. His power is more from intimidation and cunning than brute strength anyway.

Another new show in similar time period is Taboo with Tom Hardy. Definitely an odd show but I like it so far.
Rogers Pancreas
Has given rep: 34 times
Received rep: 85 times

Post #1446 by Rogers Pancreas » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:09 pm

Another one that might be worth a watch would be The Knick, if you're a fan of Peaky Blinders or Taboo.
His Satanic Majestic Request
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #1447 by Hovercraft » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:00 am

Yeah The Knick is one of my favorite recent shows too. Clive Owen is amazing in it, and the music is is awesome. The surgery scenes can be graphic/bloody in case that matters to anyone.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #1448 by FlyHigh » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:24 am

Hovercraft wrote:I like Cillian in it, I think the role suits him fine. His power is more from intimidation and cunning than brute strength anyway.

Another new show in similar time period is Taboo with Tom Hardy. Definitely an odd show but I like it so far.

Yeah he definitely can cultivate a menacing aura which is I guess more what the role requires. Agree on Taboo, it's really weird but entertaining, pretty curious to see where it will go.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #1449 by Hovercraft » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:55 am

I am picking up a Nintendo Switch and Zelda after work today, and the staying home all weekend with the wife to marathon game. Gonna be awesome.
Sweet Dee
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 11 times
Received rep: 16 times

Post #1450 by Sweet Dee » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:00 am

Nerds! :p

Return to “The Eric Wellwood Memorial Forum”