Post #1301 by Sweet Dee » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:38 pm

I wish we didn't like sports :(
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1452 times
Received rep: 679 times

Re: Music/Movies/TV/Games/Books/Podcasts 2

Post #1302 by vonbonds » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:49 pm

DeadPhish wrote:I've been hearing good things about Stranger Things. Anyone watch yet?

Yes, ignore the internet and marathon that shit.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #1303 by vonbonds » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:51 pm

Sweet Dee wrote:I wish we didn't like sports :(

I call my Comcast agreement the "Housewife Package". We literally get every station they have available as a bundle. I'm either watching sports or listening to the radio (I love NPR) and my teams are out of market so I get the NHL (for the Devils obviously) and MLB (for the Mets) packages. I don't even ask or care what Comcast costs us. She's happy so I leave it alone.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 81 times
Received rep: 36 times

Post #1304 by JLHockeyKnight » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:28 pm

GoneFullHextall wrote:we are cutting the cord with Comcast cable on Friday.
keeping internet(upgrading to the highest speed) and getting playstation vue.
we don't watch enough live tv to justify 208 a month for cable and internet.
will be saving about 75 bucks a month.

Welcome to the club. My cable bill last month was $75. Feels awesome. :banana:

I'll be trying Vue later this month. Getting NBCSN and BTN is clutch. But they just added NFL Network and Red zone. So I'm excited to give Vue a try.

Edit: honestly Cable cutting is nice because I don't find myself randomly watching shit in TV. So I either watch a show I want to watch (House of Cards right now) or I do other things like read.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #1305 by JLHockeyKnight » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:30 pm

Sweet Dee wrote:I wish we didn't like sports :(

Nhl.tv plus I hear yonder.tv works well as a smart dns to get around geolocation. Get a laptop with hdmi and connect to your TV. Set up the yonder smart dns on your laptop. Login on Web browser on laptop and duplicate screen to TV. Full screen that shit. Profit.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 42 times
Received rep: 32 times

Post #1306 by CantSeeColors » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:17 pm

I'll be trying Vue later this month. Getting NBCSN and BTN is clutch.

The NBCSN thing is huge. When my comcast intro price ends (should be able to squeeze two more flyers seasons in, fortunately) in seriously considering cancelling cable and only watching the NBC games if I get sling tv or something.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #1307 by CantSeeColors » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:17 pm

I'll be trying Vue later this month. Getting NBCSN and BTN is clutch.

The NBCSN thing is huge. When my comcast intro price ends (should be able to squeeze two more flyers seasons in, fortunately) in seriously considering cancelling cable and only watching the NBC games if I get sling tv or something.
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 15 times

Post #1308 by Kilgore Trout » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:22 pm

Huge enough for two posts.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #1309 by JLHockeyKnight » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:53 pm

Kilgore Trout wrote:Huge enough for two posts.

Comcast conspiracy. Fucking with his connection quality leading to a double post. :trump:
jester
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 93 times

Post #1310 by jester » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:03 pm

I saved $70 a month switching to FIOS, and have no contract ... so, if Comcast is listening in, I'm open to low ball offers to get me back. That being said, your internet sucks compared to FIOS.
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad

Post #1311 by Kilgore Trout » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:06 pm

jester wrote:I saved $70 a month switching to FIOS, and have no contract ... so, if Comcast is listening in, I'm open to low ball offers to get me back. That being said, your internet sucks compared to FIOS.

No contract?! We've been through this, endlessly.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 43 times
Received rep: 11 times

Post #1312 by GoneFullHextall » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:21 am

JLHockeyKnight wrote:

I'll be trying Vue later this month. Getting NBCSN and BTN is clutch. But they just added NFL Network and Red zone. So I'm excited to give Vue a try.

Edit: honestly Cable cutting is nice because I don't find myself randomly watching shit in TV. So I either watch a show I want to watch (House of Cards right now) or I do other things like read.

we have amazon prime and Netflix. so I don't think finding something to watch will be an issue.
they have a free week preview. so that is what we have now.
like I said I watch very little live tv. yeah that will change once hockey and football start but I am not going to miss cable one bit.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #1313 by JLHockeyKnight » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:31 am

GoneFullHextall wrote:
JLHockeyKnight wrote:

we have amazon prime and Netflix. so I don't think finding something to watch will be an issue.
they have a free week preview. so that is what we have now.
like I said I watch very little live tv. yeah that will change once hockey and football start but I am not going to miss cable one bit.

Pretty much exactly same case for me. A ton of stuff I watch is on Netflix or Amazon prime. For the few shows I want to watch, it's cheaper to get a season pass from amazon for $20 for that show than paying $60 a month for cable. So I'll go that route for some shows.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #1314 by JLHockeyKnight » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:34 am

jester wrote:I saved $70 a month switching to FIOS, and have no contract ... so, if Comcast is listening in, I'm open to low ball offers to get me back. That being said, your internet sucks compared to FIOS.

You're lucky. A lot of people don't have the option to flip back and forth between 2 providers. Which is a big reason the cable cutting movement is gaining steam.

Either way, I'm glad I did it.

And for most people fios speeds aren't a huge deal. I have Optimum and my speeds are 60/25. Which is more than enough for my needs. They don't offer me deals to come back to cable or anything, but it's been reliable so I can't really complain.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #1315 by CantSeeColors » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:30 am

I had Fios up until I moved in April and they gave me the worst customer service experience ever, which included about two months of no cable and no internet for a lot of that time. I've sworn off Verizon forever.

As for the double post, JL is kinda right - I got an error message both times and honestly thought neither went through.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #1316 by jester » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:45 am

JLHockeyKnight wrote:

You're lucky. A lot of people don't have the option to flip back and forth between 2 providers. Which is a big reason the cable cutting movement is gaining steam.

And for most people fios speeds aren't a huge deal. I have Optimum and my speeds are 60/25. Which is more than enough for my needs. They don't offer me deals to come back to cable or anything, but it's been reliable so I can't really complain.

I mean, Verizon offers a no-contract offering ... it's just whether that makes economic sense for you. There are important differences with internet, though. Verizon guarantees your speeds, which Comcast does not ... and with Comcast you are sharing. I noticed a marked drop in internet service between where I lived in the city and here in Collingswood with Comcast, to boot.

That being said, I would go entirely to streaming services tomorrow if not for the trap that is watching sports.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #1317 by jester » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:46 am

CantSeeColors wrote:

I had Fios up until I moved in April and they gave me the worst customer service experience ever, which included about two months of no cable and no internet for a lot of that time. I've sworn off Verizon forever.

As for the double post, JL is kinda right - I got an error message both times and honestly thought neither went through.

Thing is, they all suck ... it's really comparing the aroma of one turd to another.

I am noticing that my DVR box gets unresponsive to the remote at times, which is annoying as fuck ... hopefully its something that I can get fixed soon, but just haven't had the time to look at it.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 28 times
Received rep: 30 times

Post #1318 by Hovercraft » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:07 am

I gave up on cable even though i could get it bundle with my internet for essentially the same money. Its just such a dead medium. I pay for NHL gamecenter instead since I need it for Flyers games that arent against CDN teams.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad

Post #1319 by GoneFullHextall » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:38 pm

we only have Comcast for a cable option. the only other option is satellite tv but we cant put a dish up here and we live on the wrong side of the building for the dish to point anyway.
Comcast knows they have a monopoly here with cable service so they will continue to bend people over. I am hoping a lot more people end up doing what we are doing.
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Received rep: 51 times

Post #1320 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:39 pm

I haven't had cable in like 2 years considering you can just watch everything on putlocker pretty much for free. I got a free netflix too from a friend so I am all set up.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #1321 by JLHockeyKnight » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:34 pm

jester wrote:
JLHockeyKnight wrote:

I mean, Verizon offers a no-contract offering ... it's just whether that makes economic sense for you. There are important differences with internet, though. Verizon guarantees your speeds, which Comcast does not ... and with Comcast you are sharing. I noticed a marked drop in internet service between where I lived in the city and here in Collingswood with Comcast, to boot.

That being said, I would go entirely to streaming services tomorrow if not for the trap that is watching sports.

Biggest issue about Fios with cord cutters is that Verizon uses it's awesome speeds to try to mask the fact that they're using the same dirty monopoly-like tactics as the rest of the cable industry.

And like I mentioned to Dee, I've read a lot on Smart DNS services or VPNs with a lot of success for NHL and MLB. I can't speak for MLS or NBA, but figure that most of the NFL is on local TV. And if not, they'll be streaming games on Twitter this year, as well as I believe Yahoo. And if you need Redzone, you can get Playstation Vue which is still cheaper than cable. I think as time goes on, the difficulty of sports when cutting the cord is going to go away. Especially with companies like Twitter and Yahoo getting into the streaming media industry.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #1322 by JLHockeyKnight » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:36 pm

Hovercraft wrote:I gave up on cable even though i could get it bundle with my internet for essentially the same money. Its just such a dead medium. I pay for NHL gamecenter instead since I need it for Flyers games that arent against CDN teams.

I'm about to get fucked this year. I'm in Rangers/Devils/Islanders territory. Which means that not only are 13 games against those teams blacked out (at most), but 20 games this year on NBC/NBCSN/NHL Network will be blacked out too. I'm potentially going to have 40% of my NHL.tv games blacked out this year. So yeah, I'll be looking around that, either by Smart DNS or VPN, or maybe just paying for Vue.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #1323 by CantSeeColors » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:25 pm

JLHockeyKnight wrote:
jester wrote:
JLHockeyKnight wrote:

Biggest issue about Fios with cord cutters is that Verizon uses it's awesome speeds to try to mask the fact that they're using the same dirty monopoly-like tactics as the rest of the cable industry.

And like I mentioned to Dee, I've read a lot on Smart DNS services or VPNs with a lot of success for NHL and MLB. I can't speak for MLS or NBA, but figure that most of the NFL is on local TV. And if not, they'll be streaming games on Twitter this year, as well as I believe Yahoo. And if you need Redzone, you can get Playstation Vue which is still cheaper than cable. I think as time goes on, the difficulty of sports when cutting the cord is going to go away. Especially with companies like Twitter and Yahoo getting into the streaming media industry.

Unfortunately for us Flyers fans in the Philly market, this will be the hill comcast dies on.
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad

Post #1324 by Kilgore Trout » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:40 pm

CantSeeColors wrote:
JLHockeyKnight wrote:
jester wrote:

Unfortunately for us Flyers fans in the Philly market, this will be the hill comcast dies on.

They have to, cable/live tv has nothing else to offer.

(Unless one's like me and likes just flipping around crappy basic cable on a weekend afternoon without committing to a particular show/game/movie)
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #1325 by JLHockeyKnight » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:50 am

CantSeeColors wrote:
JLHockeyKnight wrote:
jester wrote:

Depends. There are ways people can get around the geolocation and blackouts. And if NHL.tv blocks it, someone will always find another way around. I hope that eventually NHL.tv gets rid of blackouts and finds a way to compensate regional sports channels for that loss of blackouts. Even if that means increasing the price of NHL.tv. it's more about freedom than price.

Honestly if they offered NHL.tv for $130 a year or a blackout free version for $200 I would still pay for blackout free.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #1326 by CantSeeColors » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:52 pm

Well that's the point. Comcast won't give up their ability to impose the blackouts until the gov't forces them to.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #1327 by jester » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:10 pm

Yeah, there's literally no (reasonable) amount of money Comcast & co. will take to willingly give up their stranglehold.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad

Post #1328 by GoneFullHextall » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:19 pm

starting to watch Mr. Robot on Amazon. almost thru season 1.
I really don't know what to expect. Just when I figure things out I get a massive curveball.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad

Post #1329 by DeadPhish » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:23 am

Stranger Things was very good. I assume there will be a season 2?
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad

Post #1330 by Kilgore Trout » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:40 am

Yea, they've already confirmed it.
Sweet Dee
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 11 times
Received rep: 16 times

Post #1331 by Sweet Dee » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:48 am

That's good. The show was really good. They were obviously influenced by Stephen King and that by no means is a bad thing (he even said so himself hah)
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad

Post #1332 by Kilgore Trout » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:13 am

Agree, a good mix of King, ET, the Goonies and a little X-Files flair.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad

Post #1333 by GoneFullHextall » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:25 pm

started watching Stranger Things. watched 4 episodes today.
good show no doubt.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad

Post #1334 by GoneFullHextall » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:29 pm

Sweet Dee wrote:That's good. The show was really good. They were obviously influenced by Stephen King and that by no means is a bad thing (he even said so himself hah)

did you notice the book the state trooper was reading at the morgue near the end of episode 4.
Sweet Dee
Registered Broad

Post #1335 by Sweet Dee » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:44 am

Was reading Cujo wasn't he?

We just watched the first two episodes of Preacher last night.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad

Post #1336 by GoneFullHextall » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:27 pm

yeah he was.
Preacher is great. cant wait for season 2 next year.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #1337 by JLHockeyKnight » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:39 pm

If you haven't watched them, Amazon released 3 shows for Pilot Season. I have no interest in watching "I Love Dick" but The Tick was fun, I'd give it a full season watch. Jean Claude Van Johnson takes the fucking cake. Great pilot. Really hoping if they have to chose one they give that one a try. Though they'd be crazy to not give full seasons to both JCVJ and The Tick, IMHO.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #1338 by vonbonds » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:01 pm

I'm half or all drunk so I can't remember if I recommended this yet on Netflix...Marcella
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad

Post #1339 by GoneFullHextall » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:41 pm

finally completed season 1 of Stranger Things.
really enjoyed it. solid acting all around and for the most part they kept things going and kept the interest up all the way thru.
the ending sure left something for the next season. hopefully wont have to wait more than a year. nothing is on IMDB yet.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #1340 by JLHockeyKnight » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:33 pm

GoneFullHextall wrote:finally completed season 1 of Stranger Things.
really enjoyed it. solid acting all around and for the most part they kept things going and kept the interest up all the way thru.
the ending sure left something for the next season. hopefully wont have to wait more than a year. nothing is on IMDB yet.

I finished it Friday night, binged the last 3 episodes. Was really impressed. Very well executed, and I loved the whole thing. As you mentioned, the ending was well done.

This is a great example why I'm glad that I got rid of cable. Netflix and Amazon alone have a shit ton of great shows.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad

Post #1341 by GoneFullHextall » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:14 pm

JLHockeyKnight wrote:

I finished it Friday night, binged the last 3 episodes. Was really impressed. Very well executed, and I loved the whole thing. As you mentioned, the ending was well done.

This is a great example why I'm glad that I got rid of cable. Netflix and Amazon alone have a shit ton of great shows.

yeah, I will miss a few channels like NHLN but I will manage it.
don't think I will be able to watch NFL games on fox either. but yeah it was well worth telling Comcast to fuck off.
even bought a modem off Amazon so we aren't giving them the rental fee money for the modem.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #1342 by CantSeeColors » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:21 pm

You can get an antenna for free fox, cbs, etc
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #1343 by JLHockeyKnight » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:17 pm

I don't have an antenna but make sure you get one that does both VHF and UHF.
Rogers Pancreas
Has given rep: 34 times
Received rep: 85 times

Post #1344 by Rogers Pancreas » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:56 pm

Just as long as Stranger Things doesn't go the way of True Detective (great first season, who gives a fuck about season two?), I can wait.

Loved it.
His Satanic Majestic Request
Sweet Dee
Registered Broad

Post #1345 by Sweet Dee » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:38 am

I honestly think it will be very hard in general to match that 1st season. It will be interesting to see what direction it goes.
MiD
Registered Broad
Received rep: 7 times

Post #1346 by MiD » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:27 pm

Thanks for Marcella sugestions
DeadPhish
Registered Broad

Post #1347 by DeadPhish » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:13 am

We are driving down to Florida on Saturday. Last time we drove down we had the Serial podcast to listen to, and pretty much listened to it straight through.

Anyone have any suggestions for something similar? Or a good podcast in general?
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #1348 by Hovercraft » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:19 am

DeadPhish wrote:We are driving down to Florida on Saturday. Last time we drove down we had the Serial podcast to listen to, and pretty much listened to it straight through.

Anyone have any suggestions for something similar? Or a good podcast in general?

This is a funny podcast if you like crappy movies and/or Paul Scheer and Jason Mantezoukas: http://www.earwolf.com/show/how-did-this-get-made/
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 20 times

Post #1349 by FlyHigh » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:06 pm

Yeah, as someone that's partial to the Fast & Furious movies, those recaps with Adam Scott are hilarious, but they're all great.

Recently got into My Dad Wrote A Porno (just try it, not for everybody) and the Hardcore History WWI podcast is good as well. Not sure how the true history buffs feel about Hardcore History, but the podcast is really easy to binge on.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #1350 by JLHockeyKnight » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:23 pm

Ten Minute Podcast. They're all 10 minutes long (duh) but hosted mainly by Will Sasso from MADtv. Absolutely hilarious. You can run through a TON of episodes on a drive down to Florida.

Return to “The Eric Wellwood Memorial Forum”