the tendon-cy to retire is natural.
now with even more memorial.
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 17 times
Received rep: 35 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #351 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:59 pm

Bulls are apparently more interested in Okafor if they trade Butler, somebody explain to me how Colangelo doesn't make an Okafor+++ for Butler? We have the assets this is some retarded shit.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 4 times
Received rep: 12 times

Post #352 by FlyHigh » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:47 pm

Fwiw most of the NBA guys don't think Butler is on the block unless Boston absolutely godfathers them. I'm still amazed that there are apparently first round picks on the table for Okafor and that they aren't jumping all over it.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 33 times
Received rep: 21 times

Post #353 by CantSeeColors » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:41 pm

Wait people think getting something for ilyasova instead of giving him way too much money in an extension is a bad thing?
Registered Broad

Post #354 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:02 pm

You can argue it might've been more productive for his presence an how he was the Sixers second best player to just keep him the rest of the year. A 2nd rounder in the NBA is barely worth anything and we already have 12 contracts heading into next year plus our 1st and potentially the Lakers 1st also our own 2nd. I'd rather either package something with Ilya to get a better return or keep him for the rest of the year so the games stay close and his presence around the team.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #355 by FlyHigh » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:14 am

Ilysasova is definitely kind of a "meh", but if Okafor is still on the team by this time tomorrow....yikes.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #356 by CantSeeColors » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:10 pm

A pair of seconds, a SG who can't shoot threes, and cap fodder for Noel? Mr. High-Collar just got hosed.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #357 by FlyHigh » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:46 pm

That was my initial reaction, but I'm actually OK with it. Noel is RFA this summer and from what Zach Lowe and others are saying, it sounds like he would have been targeted for a near-max offer sheet. So then, if you decide to match, you're paying $20 million or more for a backup center which is non-ideal. So the Sixers essentially had no leverage at this point in time. Anderson also seems mildly intriguing, young wings are always worth a punt nowadays and the last no-name wing player that Dallas dealt away was Jae Crowder.

I think the time to deal Noel would have been the draft last year, but I guess nobody knew what Embiid was yet or whether he'd be healthy (a question that's still up in the air btw). To me it's a classic rock/hard-place scenario. I don't blame Hinkie at all for drafting Embiid the year after Noel because people were saying that Embiid had superstar potential, but that would inevitably create a scenario where there wouldn't be a spot for Noel. Ppl also seem to be mildly high on Richaun Holmes who might get a chance now.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #358 by CantSeeColors » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:28 pm

If people were so willing to throw that cash at him, where were they when you could get him for basically nothing right now? I'll believe it when I see it. And even if you do have to match for that much... so what? Trade him then. It's not like you're getting any less at that point than you got now, and the Sixers have plenty of cap room to swallow that deal for a year or two. IMO, I'd have kept him as Embiid insurance.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #359 by FlyHigh » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:02 pm

CantSeeColors wrote:If people were so willing to throw that cash at him, where were they when you could get him for basically nothing right now? I'll believe it when I see it. And even if you do have to match for that much... so what? Trade him then. It's not like you're getting any less at that point than you got now, and the Sixers have plenty of cap room to swallow that deal for a year or two. IMO, I'd have kept him as Embiid insurance.

Eh, I trust Lowe and co. on this one, he seems pretty plugged in generally. I think the other team that was primarily mentioned though was the Nets and they don't really have any trade assets either. Even if the offer sheet wasn't as big a threat, you're still looking at paying at least $15 million to a backup C. Also, on the resigning him and eating the salary point, Noel was pretty clearly unhappy here, I doubt that he'd be thrilled playing backup minutes for another year or two. At some point, keeping a positive environment in the room is fairly important IMO, particularly as you try to transition to being a contender, and having a high-paid guy who's upset about his role isn't conducive to that.

Fwiw the ESPN guys seem to be quite high on Anderson as a defender and think he could become pretty solid if his 3-pointer comes along, seems like a worthwhile gamble to me.

Boston has run into this problem for years too. "Accumulating assets" is great and all, but turning them into other "assets" or a superstar is a lot harder. Noel will probably be a really solid starting C, but the league is already awash in big men.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #360 by FlyHigh » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:13 pm

Apologies for the double-post, but this trade also will probably make the Sixers significantly worse the rest of the year (assuming the continued Embiid situation, whatever is happening there), so if they could get to 3rd-worst in the league and bump the Lakers, also a nice side benefit.
Registered Broad

Post #361 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:42 pm

Gave Noel away and kept Okafor who doesn't fit with the team at all. Incredible Colangelo, just because you had some dream of Okafor and Embiid being a twin towers kind of thing doesn't mean it works in real life. I hate this fucking guy so much. If some team was going to throw money at Noel as a RFA you more then likely could work out a sign and trade so you get picks back. Literally selling at the lowest value.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #362 by FlyHigh » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:52 pm

Konecny HypeTrain Captain wrote:Gave Noel away and kept Okafor who doesn't fit with the team at all. Incredible Colangelo, just because you had some dream of Okafor and Embiid being a twin towers kind of thing doesn't mean it works in real life. I hate this fucking guy so much. If some team was going to throw money at Noel as a RFA you more then likely could work out a sign and trade so you get picks back. Literally selling at the lowest value.

RFA doesn't work like that. If you match an offer sheet you can't turn around and trade the guy, NBA rules prevent it.

I have a strong feeling that Cuban called Coangelo and said "I'm going to throw 4 yrs, 90 mill at Noel this summer. You can either take my crappy offer now or lose him for nothing in 4 months." Seriously, what are the Sixers supposed to do differently? Pay a backup player $20 million and have him be unhappy in the locker room so that you can stick it to Cuban?

I don't blame Hinkie for it, but if you pick 2 guys who play the exact same position in back to back years, something like this happening is relatively foreseeable. It makes me laugh at the "Trust the Process" people on Liberty Ballers are losing their minds over this while some of us have literally been saying for years that the Sixers aren't going to get full value on Noel and Okafor because everyone knows the 76ers have a big man glut.

If Embiid stays healthy, I guarantee you that the Sixers will get little-to-nothing for Okafor because (i) he doesn't play defense and (ii) everybody in the NBA knows the Sixers have too many centers.

Latest sources say that Boston offered their 2018 1st for Noel last summer. That's seriously a better offer? Market wasn't there...
Registered Broad

Post #363 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:11 pm

You can move him in December though of that year and like CSC said we had the cap to eat a contract for a couple years if we needed. Also I honestly would've rather them actually tried Nerlens and Embiid together they tried it for 8 minutes the whole year and it actually looked like it might have a chance to work since Noel can drive a bit and has decent vision. I'm fine with getting nothing for Okafor because he has no value on the team, but they didn't even attempt to see if Nerlens could work with Embiid, that's a problem. I knew the returns would be shit on whatever center they moved simply because the rest of the NBA already knows the Sixers situation and Colangelo really doesn't have a great track record.

Instead of selling Noel/Okafor he should've packaged them for a better player that's been my argument all along. Last off-season or this deadline with players like Butler rumored to be available how do you not make a hard run at them with the amount of assets we have? They both would have had more value in a package then selling them off.

At this point too what does keeping Okafor even do? Literally nothing. He if anything hinders the development of other players he dominates the ball on offense and does nothing on defense. Saric and TLC will get way less touches with him on the court, Embiid at least moves the ball around when he's on the court.

He also got rid of the best friends/mentors of two of your core pieces. Embiid's best friend was Nerlens and he already said he wished they let them two play more to see if it could work and Ilyasova was Saric's mentor and he doesn't seem to like the trade. With our assets I honestly think keeping them just for their presence the rest of the year was better than the returns they got.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #364 by FlyHigh » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:39 pm

Who is trading away a superstar for Noel/Okafor? 2 guys who play the exact same position and who can't play together. Those guys don't have value on the trade market as we literally just saw. Also, what superstars are truly available right now? PG-13 is either staying in Indy or going to LA. If Boston couldn't get Butler I certainly don't think the Sixers could.

And sure, the Sixers could match on Noel, dramatically overpay a backup, and watch him be (justifiably) unhappy for a couple of years while they try to drum up a trade. I doubt that Dallas is throwing in an unprotected 1st next February and in the meantime, having the highest-paid guy on your team be unhappy in his role hurts your locker room culture. Unless it's a sign-and-trade, signing a guy to a huge contract with the "we'll trade him ASAP" plan does not seem like a good idea.

They already have 2 power forwards (Saric and Simmons) that seem like better fits to play alongside Embiid, so I can understand why they didn't pursue the Embiid/Noel strategy.

The mentor stuff, Ilyasova was definitely gone anyways in the summer and I'm sure Embiid will be fine.

Re: Okafor, I agree, hope that they just make Holmes the primary backup so that they can see if he's actually good.

The whole situation is pretty similar to the Enes Kanter one in Utah in 2015. Another team with an excess of bigs that needed to deal one. Jazz ended up getting a lottery-protected 1st that won't convey until 2018 at the earliest and most people thought the Thunder overpaid at the time IIRC.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #365 by CantSeeColors » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:03 pm

That's because kanter isn't actually good
Registered Broad

Post #366 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:28 am

I'm not saying both of them, but a package like our 2018 1st the Lakers 1st rounder, Noel/Okafor and Covington can get a decent player. Look at what Boogie got traded for, if Colangelo thinks Okafor and Embiid can work he should've jumped on Boogie to pair with Embiid.

Ilyasova was Saric's mentor, not Embiid's. Boston couldn't get Butler because they aren't willing to give up the Nets 1st which is retarded IMO.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #367 by FlyHigh » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:30 am

Eh, Kanter is a pretty strong offensive player, he was certainly fairly valuable for OKC last year. Was also a 3rd overall pick. I mean, undoubtedly the Sixers got the worse end of this trade. But I'm not convinced there was ever a strong market for Noel, the ESPN guys have reported as much, and I totally understand why the Sixers didn't want to pay him $20 mill next year. Again, that's the price of having 4 guys on your roster that play the same position and can't play together.

I'd personally want zero part of Cousins, especially with Embiid. At least Davis can nominally play as a PF. I don't think Embiid would be nearly as impactful as a power forward. Out of Boogie and Embiid, who's guarding stretch PFs on the other end? I also think the offensive fit is questionable. Also, one of the reasons nobody wanted Boogie (and that the Kings didn't want to pay him) is that he's a destructive locker room presence. Lowe/Windhorst had a story on a podcast a couple days ago about Boogie challenging Staukas to a fight on the team plane when Staukas was a rookie and I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Also, Lowe and numerous others reported that Boston put the Nets 2017 1st into trade discussions yesterday.
Registered Broad

Post #368 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:56 pm

There is no proof Nerlens and Embiid couldn't play together and in theory they could have worked. They played a total of 8 minutes together and made a couple decent plays. Again Nerlens offensively is smart, can drive for a big his size and has decent vision. He also is an easy oop target if his man leaves him and defensively him and Embiid would be great together considering Nerlens can easily guard the 4. That's the bigger issue I have with the trade they didn't attempt to see if it even works which shows how incompetent they are as an organization, they know Okafor and Embiid don't work but it seems like Colangelo is hell bent on trying to force it to work because of some fantasy he has in his head of him and Embiid dominating.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #369 by FlyHigh » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:12 pm

The org already has 2 power forwards in Saric and Simmons that they are clearly pretty high on. How do you split 96 total PF/C minutes among Noel, Embiid, Saric, Simmons and Holmes? They clearly see Simmons as a future cornerpiece. Simmons can't shoot. So you're trotting out a starting 5 in the 2017 NBA of 2-3 guys that cannot shoot the basketball?

If they played Embiid/Noel, Noel's man is never going to leave the paint, so there goes any chance of Embiid developing a post game. Defensively, you aren't maximizing his ability because he'd be out on the perimeter instead of protecting the rim.

I mean, it's possible that Noel would be OK at the 4 with the right center and 3 strong shooters surrounding them, but nobody else in the NBA appears to see him that way and he's almost certainly a much better 5.

I don't think Okafor/Embiid have played together since December. They tried it, it didn't work, they stopped.
Registered Broad

Post #370 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:47 pm

If Noel's man leaves him it's an easy oop. Simmons isn't a PF I don't know why anybody thinks he is, the Sixers have said over and over he is our PG the offense will run through him and he will be fine guarding PG's. Simmons can develop a shot tons of NBA players have and Simmons can be great because he gets to the basket like it's nothing he never had to learn how to shoot although he will now. I'm not arguing that Noel+Embiid could've been elite I'm arguing getting an extremely low return on a player you didn't give a chance to see if they fit with Embiid.

Okafor and Embiid will be on the court together again this season because they kept Okafor so they have to play him now, if you just put him on the bench you'll be lucky to get a 2nd rounder for him in the summer. The other thing about moving Noel is IF Embiid goes down with another serious injury you had Nerlens you could've still built the team with, Okafor doesn't fit with what Brown wants to do as a coach he doesn't fit with Simmons or Saric and Nerlens showed he could play with them. Everybody around the league is ripping this trade for a reason. Turning down the rumored Pelicans 1st + Tyreke Evans for Okafor was retarded and then you move Noel for pretty much two 2nds that's just awful.
Registered Broad

Post #371 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:19 pm

Okafor 17mins 4pts -15 7turnovers

Glad we kept him to increase that value.

One out of 5 games he will put up 20+
Registered Broad

Post #372 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:14 pm

People defend this guy
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #373 by FlyHigh » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:23 am

Quite a gamble by the Sixers there, guess if Fultz works out they look like geniuses, but if not, yikes.
Registered Broad

Post #374 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:28 pm

This is how HInkie set this up, they have the assets where they can afford to gamble a few times to get the last player for their core. Simmons, Fultz, Saric and Embiid could be a dominate core.
jester
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 8 times
Received rep: 74 times

Post #375 by jester » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:21 pm

I think the amazing thing here is that they are taking a "big swing" and yet will still have a very good extra 1st round pick in the next two years.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #376 by FlyHigh » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:12 am

Yep, Hinkie's legacy from an asset management standpoint is outstanding.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #377 by CantSeeColors » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:11 pm

jester wrote:I think the amazing thing here is that they are taking a "big swing" and yet will still have a very good extra 1st round pick in the next two years.

Even more amazing to me is that they managed to keep the pick in either year if it lands #1. I'm surprised Boston agreed to that, honestly.
Registered Broad

Post #378 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:21 pm

Yeah, not sure what Ainge is thinking honestly it seems like a bad trade for Bos. If he thinks this team has any shot to win a ring in the next 2-3 years he's delusional as hell.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #379 by CantSeeColors » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:54 am

Pretty sure he's loading up to make a play for jimmy butler, but I don't know how much this helps him if he can't get a #1 pick from the deal. It would be amusing to see them get smoked by the Ws if lebron leaves Cleveland again and opens the door for another east team to make the finals
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #380 by FlyHigh » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:23 am

I think there's a school of thought that there isn't much difference between Fultz/Ball/Jackson/Tatum. Maybe the Celtics saw Fultz and Jackson/Tatum as roughly equivalent prospects and figured they might as well pick up an extra 1st by moving down and still getting one of them.
Registered Broad

Post #381 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:21 pm

Thing is though, Butler doesn't make them championship contenders and they probably won't re-sign IT because of his age/he gets brutally abused in the post season. Ainge honestly needs to just keep acquiring future assets for when GS/Cavs start to get downhill.
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 899 times
Received rep: 458 times

Post #382 by vonbonds » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:36 am

My son is turning into a Philly sports fan for every team which is fine by me, easier to watch for him and go to than the shit I have to do being out of market. He's been asking me about the Sixers and the NBA recently due to the finals just occurring. He'll ask if the Sixers are good and I'll say not really. He'll then ask will they be good soon and I have to tell him I have no clue as in the modern NBA there are usually only 2-4 good teams with only 1 being the clear favorite usually.

The league is so fundamentally broken. I can't see young people growing up caring enough about it to get season tickets or becoming serious fans.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #383 by FlyHigh » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:37 am

Feel like the NBA has always been like that though. Celtics/Lakers won 8 titles in the 80s, Bulls/Rockets won 8 in the 90s. In the 19 years since 1999 4 teams (Lakers/Spurs/Lebron/Warriors) have won 15 of the available titles and Lebron's been to the Finals for 7 straight years. Hasn't really seemed to have affected the league's growth too much.

I also think there's something inherently satisfying about the best team (or one of the best 2) nearly always winning in the NBA (kind of like the English Premier League) whereas in the NHL/MLB, luck and streakiness play fairly dramatic roles.

The Caps thing is kinda funny, but I can't imagine the frustration of being a fan of that team, let alone being involved in management. They've been a juggernaut for the better part of a decade and probably the best overall team in the league the past 2-3 years, but through a lot of terrible luck (and some choking to be fair), haven't been out of the 2nd round. There's definitely a universe where the Caps have 2-3 Cups and the Blackhawks/Kings don't have any.
Registered Broad

Post #384 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:09 pm

I give Colangelo shit more then pretty much anybody else, but he's having an amazing off season IMO
jester
Registered Broad

Post #385 by jester » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:45 am

If they get and stay healthy, they may be a destination city for free agents a year from now.
Registered Broad

Post #386 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:32 pm

Hoping Fultz just gets surgery to deal with this shoulder.
Registered Broad

Post #387 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:41 am

So this Ben Simmons kid already looks like one of the best players in the NBA, I have been arguing with people about him for over a year now and it feels so good to be right.

Ben has the potential to be better than Embiid and that's scary he's also logging huge minutes already, this team is on the way to being special. He's also starting to show some emotion after big plays and you know how Philly feeds off of that. Throw a healthy Fultz into the mix and this team is scary already.
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 18 times
Received rep: 13 times

Post #388 by Kilgore Trout » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:47 am

Konecny HypeTrain Captain wrote:So this Ben Simmons kid already looks like one of the best players in the NBA, I have been arguing with people about him for over a year now and it feels so good to be right.

Kilgore Trout wrote:Yea, but Simmons is a Dwight Howard level loser.

Whoops?
Registered Broad

Post #389 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:18 pm

Honestly Ben has all the makings of a true leader when you hear him talk, how he carries himself and of course how he commands the team on the court. He walks the line of being cocky, but when players can back it up I'm fine with them being a bit cocky. I also love how he's been saying he hasn't been playing that good yet and even Embiid said Simmons had an average game when he had a triple double.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #390 by CantSeeColors » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:12 pm

And he's doing all this without a jump shot
Registered Broad

Post #391 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:21 pm

He's been taking and hitting elbow jumpers, if he slowly extends it he will be fine. Also people make a huge deal out of jump shots when he can get to anywhere he wants on the court, people have been saying just sag off him but he's so strong and athletic giving him that step of space he just uses it to go by the defender even if they are sagging off.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #392 by CantSeeColors » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:44 pm

Yeah, but imagine how much space embiid is going to have in the post when guys can't sag off Simmons to help out down there
Registered Broad

Post #393 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:15 am

The Sixers game ending 5 is a pretty legit lineup. Simmons-JJ-Covington-Saric-Embiid, those five really make some incredible plays when they're on the court together.
Registered Broad

Post #394 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:07 am

This Embiid guy is pretty good
DeadPhish
Registered Broad
Received rep: 24 times

Post #395 by DeadPhish » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:30 am

I saw on twitter that the 76ers are 7-6? That is awesome.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #396 by vonbonds » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:00 am

Are the Sixers any good now? My son wants to be a Golden State Warriors fan because of Curry and there dominance but I have this to say..fuck that front running shit for teams across the country. I'm willing to shell out money to see the Sixers if they're decent to watch and have a 50/50 shot of winning a game at this point and buy him a hat or whatever so he supports his local team instead of some shit in California or even the Cavs.

I haven't really watched basketball since Drazen Petrovic died when he was on the Nets to give you all perspective on my basketball knowledge.
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad
Received rep: 13 times

Post #397 by Kilgore Trout » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:10 am

They’re definitely on the upswing if you want to get him a seat at the front of the bandwagon.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #398 by jester » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:55 am

vonbonds wrote:Are the Sixers any good now? My son wants to be a Golden State Warriors fan because of Curry and there dominance but I have this to say..fuck that front running shit for teams across the country. I'm willing to shell out money to see the Sixers if they're decent to watch and have a 50/50 shot of winning a game at this point and buy him a hat or whatever so he supports his local team instead of some shit in California or even the Cavs.

I haven't really watched basketball since Drazen Petrovic died when he was on the Nets to give you all perspective on my basketball knowledge.

I am as casual as casual can be when it comes to the NBA, but pay attention to various folks via social media, etc. that care a great deal ... and the consensus seems to be that a) they have a very good shot of being a playoff team this year if everyone stays healthy; and b) they are going to be a juggernaut in the near term if everyone stays healthy.

And, yeah, fuck that noise of being a GSW fan. First, all their games are super late at night, so he's not really going to get to watch them live unless you have real liberal bedtime policies. Two, that's like these asshole Cowboy fans that are everywhere. I feel dirty being a Redskins fan, but that's entirely due to my father growing up in DC and it being possible to watch non-local teams in the NFL on a pretty regular basis growing up. Of course, Dan Snyder has basically left me not caring all that much one way or the other with the Skins ... so it is what it is.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #399 by vonbonds » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:46 pm

jester wrote:
vonbonds wrote:Are the Sixers any good now? My son wants to be a Golden State Warriors fan because of Curry and there dominance but I have this to say..fuck that front running shit for teams across the country. I'm willing to shell out money to see the Sixers if they're decent to watch and have a 50/50 shot of winning a game at this point and buy him a hat or whatever so he supports his local team instead of some shit in California or even the Cavs.

I am as casual as casual can be when it comes to the NBA, but pay attention to various folks via social media, etc. that care a great deal ... and the consensus seems to be that a) they have a very good shot of being a playoff team this year if everyone stays healthy; and b) they are going to be a juggernaut in the near term if everyone stays healthy.

And, yeah, fuck that noise of being a GSW fan. First, all their games are super late at night, so he's not really going to get to watch them live unless you have real liberal bedtime policies. Two, that's like these asshole Cowboy fans that are everywhere. I feel dirty being a Redskins fan, but that's entirely due to my father growing up in DC and it being possible to watch non-local teams in the NFL on a pretty regular basis growing up. Of course, Dan Snyder has basically left me not caring all that much one way or the other with the Skins ... so it is what it is.

The way I see it my boy has two options for sports fandom. He can be a fan of the teams I like because I'm his father and I grew up out of market and I root for the teams that were in my market growing up or short of that and what he's done so far is be a fan of local teams to where we live. I told him he isn't allowed to be a fan of any other team..lol. He can enjoy watching other teams as I'm totally in love with watching the Winnipeg Jets now but I'm hardly a fan of them but having local teams or a team your dad roots for are the only options he has short of getting his own mortgage and moving out at 9 years old..LOL

I'm a great dad, trust me..I'm yuuge
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #400 by CantSeeColors » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:36 pm

Now is absolutely the time to get him on the sixers bandwagon. Embiid is an absolute gem and simmons is already a star too

Return to “The Eric Wellwood Memorial Forum”