I talk to myself about the Sixers

the tendon-cy to retire is natural.
now with even more memorial.
User avatar
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Posts: 4743
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:44 am
Has given rep: 37 times
Received rep: 28 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #301 by CantSeeColors » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:19 pm

Embiid is a superstar. We won it already regardless what happens with the rest of them
User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7452
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 40 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #302 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:09 pm

Hinkie would've moved one by now, this is on Colangelo for not moving one this summer. trading for Ilyasova was retarded as well, Colangelo is an awful GM, what Hinkie did wasn't perfect but he did get the team Embiid and Simmons.
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 15 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #303 by FlyHigh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:01 am

CantSeeColors wrote:Embiid is a superstar. We won it already regardless what happens with the rest of them


I don't mind the tanking approach, but it's more just the mindless tanking with a superstar as the only goal. Sure they have a superstar now, but they also have 3 guys (No.3, No.3 and No.6 overall picks) who can't play together. Imagine if they had spent that Noel pick on Giannis or that Okafor pick on Booker/Winslow, all of a sudden this team is absolutely stacked. If you're really all about taking risks for superstars, why pick a center who can't play offense (Noel) and then a center who can't play defense (Okafor) in 2 out of 3 years?

Probably also worth pointing out that we're less than 30 games into Embiid's playing career after he missed 2+ years with an injury, so I think we should wait for a year or two before declaring victory.

Re: Hinkie moving one, he had all of last season to move one (when it was very clear that Noel/Okafor would never be able to play together, regardless of Embiid's status) and did not do so.
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 17179
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 79 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #304 by jester » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:39 am

Eh ... I'm not sure pursuit of superstar talent in the NBA is mindless. If you want a championship, you need one and you are treading water without one. Certainly can get lucky outside of the top of the draft, but the top vastly improved your chances (much like franchise QBs). I also don't think criticizing the picks holds up particularly well. When you are burning it down, BPA is the only logical strategy.

I remain pretty convinced that Hinkie is going to look pretty smart in a couple years, and John Smallwood, et al's criticism is going to get muted and/or seem petty and stupid.
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 15 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #305 by FlyHigh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:23 am

jester wrote:Eh ... I'm not sure pursuit of superstar talent in the NBA is mindless. If you want a championship, you need one and you are treading water without one. Certainly can get lucky outside of the top of the draft, but the top vastly improved your chances (much like franchise QBs). I also don't think criticizing the picks holds up particularly well. When you are burning it down, BPA is the only logical strategy.

I remain pretty convinced that Hinkie is going to look pretty smart in a couple years, and John Smallwood, et al's criticism is going to get muted and/or seem petty and stupid.


This is the problem though. The BPA in college is not always the guy you want in the NBA. Look at Redick, Adam Morrison, Frank Kaminsky, Buddy Hield, Doug McDermott, Trey Burke, etc. In the NBA draft, a large part of the pick is based on potential.

And normally I think it's unfair to criticize GMs for drafts, but the Giannis thing drives me nuts.

Noel would probably have been the consensus No.1 in a weak draft if he hadn't gotten hurt. His limitations were well-known at the time (i.e., potential defensive beast, no offensive game). But he was relatively safe. MCW's limitations were also known (might be a good defender, but no outside game whatsoever). Then you go back and read the Giannis draft reports. To sum up, even in 2013, everybody was saying, there's a lack of experience but his "potential is off the charts." http://www.nba.com/draft/2013/prospects ... tokounmpo/

He was so raw, it makes sense that a lot of GMs would be iffy on that pick. But look at Hinkie's entire freaking philosophy. Take risks, don't be afraid to lose in pursuit of a special player. This was a player that literally everybody agreed had a chance to be very special, even if the odds of him failing and just being a Euro league guy were very high. But instead of picking Giannis, Hinkie goes with "safe" picks in Noel and MCW. Guys who will probably be rotation players in the league for a long-time, but that's it.

Then you have the exact same thing play out in 2015. This was after the Warriors won and we're picking Okafor who is literally the antithesis of the modern NBA.

I have no issue with tanking and embracing that. But if you are going to do it, actually show some balls and take some big swings and big risks instead of just drafting the guy that was the best in college. Cause those guys normally are not the best NBA guys. And maybe think a little bit about how pieces fit together, even if it's not a sole motivating force.

For Okafor, you know he's overvalued in the draft and you know you don't have a spot for him because of Noel (and Embiid). Trade the pick, get assets, get a guy like Booker. Be creative. Hinkie talked a big game, but where's any creativity or outside-the-box thinking outside of "lose lose lose"?
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 17179
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 79 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #306 by jester » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:32 am

... Whether they picked the right guy is a bit different than whether they pursued a BPA approach. Also, your talking about the 15 pick. Sixers were not alone in passing.
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 15 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #307 by FlyHigh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:42 am

jester wrote:... Whether they picked the right guy is a bit different than whether they pursued a BPA approach. Also, your talking about the 15 pick. Sixers were not alone in passing.


So, when the argument is "for" Hinkie, the philosophy is "well, he's doing stuff that nobody else was bold enough to do." But then in this case, it becomes "well, 12 other teams passed on him, so Hinkie can't be blamed for following the general consensus and not taking a risk" (Sixers actually had 2 chances at Giannis which makes it even more reprehensible). Do people not see/understand the cognitive dissonance there?
User avatar
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Posts: 4743
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:44 am
Has given rep: 37 times
Received rep: 28 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #308 by CantSeeColors » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:43 am

Seriously, looking back years later, cherry picking the guys who became the best players, and then saying "why didn't our GM pick them?" is pretty poor analysis.

You're also characterizing these guys way differently than I would have. MCW wasn't a safe pick at all. He's either a star PG (if he develops a jump shot) or arguably not an NBA player (if he does not learn to shoot). There was nothing safe about him. Noel similarly had huge upside if he could learn a jump shot, just had the fallback position of being a defensive stalwart either way. Not sure why you can criticize Hinkie for picking the most talented player there.

Okafor was a bad pick (which may have been made above Hinkie's head, if you believe the rumors, but that's a separate thing), but you're taking your Hinkie-bashing too far here.
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 17179
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 79 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #309 by jester » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:56 am

FlyHigh wrote:
jester wrote:... Whether they picked the right guy is a bit different than whether they pursued a BPA approach. Also, your talking about the 15 pick. Sixers were not alone in passing.


So, when the argument is "for" Hinkie, the philosophy is "well, he's doing stuff that nobody else was bold enough to do." But then in this case, it becomes "well, 12 other teams passed on him, so Hinkie can't be blamed for following the general consensus and not taking a risk" (Sixers actually had 2 chances at Giannis which makes it even more reprehensible). Do people not see/understand the cognitive dissonance there?


Hindsight analysis is usually brilliant.

The argument for Hinkie is the two potential superstars in house and the wealth of assets to help fill in around them. The entire point of what Hinkie did was that it allowed for mistakes and misses.
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 15 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #310 by FlyHigh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:03 pm

CantSeeColors wrote:Seriously, looking back years later, cherry picking the guys who became the best players, and then saying "why didn't our GM pick them?" is pretty poor analysis.

You're also characterizing these guys way differently than I would have. MCW wasn't a safe pick at all. He's either a star PG (if he develops a jump shot) or arguably not an NBA player (if he does not learn to shoot). There was nothing safe about him. Noel similarly had huge upside if he could learn a jump shot, just had the fallback position of being a defensive stalwart either way. Not sure why you can criticize Hinkie for picking the most talented player there.

Okafor was a bad pick (which may have been made above Hinkie's head, if you believe the rumors, but that's a separate thing), but you're taking your Hinkie-bashing too far here.


Your first point is why I usually don't like to do it. For example, going back and criticizing the Flyers for taking Marshall when Subban was available or w/e. Meh.

My problem here is that Hinkie's approach in drafts has run counter to his supposed "core philosophy." The Noel pick is somewhat defensible, although 2 separate scouting reports say "reminds me of Larry Sanders" which....OK? The MCW one though, he's 3+ years older than Giannis (same draft), still couldn't shoot, played zone D in college as opposed to man-to-man (funnily enough I'm pretty sure he's a below-average NBA defender), and didn't really have wow physical tools outside of being tall.

All of Hinkie's high-profile picks (with the possible exception of Embiid, who was an obvious choice) were very, very good college players who have had struggles in the NBA that were obviously predictable when they were picked. I think that Noel, MCW and Okafor were all very obvious picks where they were picked and instead of taking a risk or doing something outside-the-box (and this is doubly true for that Okafor pick which simultaneously gave them a bad NBA player and ruined Noel), he just went with the conventional strategy.
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 15 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #311 by FlyHigh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:04 pm

jester wrote:
FlyHigh wrote:
jester wrote:... Whether they picked the right guy is a bit different than whether they pursued a BPA approach. Also, your talking about the 15 pick. Sixers were not alone in passing.


So, when the argument is "for" Hinkie, the philosophy is "well, he's doing stuff that nobody else was bold enough to do." But then in this case, it becomes "well, 12 other teams passed on him, so Hinkie can't be blamed for following the general consensus and not taking a risk" (Sixers actually had 2 chances at Giannis which makes it even more reprehensible). Do people not see/understand the cognitive dissonance there?


Hindsight analysis is usually brilliant.

The argument for Hinkie is the two potential superstars in house and the wealth of assets to help fill in around them. The entire point of what Hinkie did was that it allowed for mistakes and misses.


This is not an argument for Hinkie. This is an argument for tanking.

I have no issue with his tanking idea. It's pretty much everything else.
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 17179
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 79 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #312 by jester » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:08 pm

FlyHigh wrote:
jester wrote:
FlyHigh wrote:
So, when the argument is "for" Hinkie, the philosophy is "well, he's doing stuff that nobody else was bold enough to do." But then in this case, it becomes "well, 12 other teams passed on him, so Hinkie can't be blamed for following the general consensus and not taking a risk" (Sixers actually had 2 chances at Giannis which makes it even more reprehensible). Do people not see/understand the cognitive dissonance there?


Hindsight analysis is usually brilliant.

The argument for Hinkie is the two potential superstars in house and the wealth of assets to help fill in around them. The entire point of what Hinkie did was that it allowed for mistakes and misses.


This is not an argument for Hinkie. This is an argument for tanking.

I have no issue with his tanking idea. It's pretty much everything else.


I'd take care with cognitive dissonance critiques, then.
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 15 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #313 by FlyHigh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:12 pm

jester wrote:
FlyHigh wrote:
jester wrote:
Hindsight analysis is usually brilliant.

The argument for Hinkie is the two potential superstars in house and the wealth of assets to help fill in around them. The entire point of what Hinkie did was that it allowed for mistakes and misses.


This is not an argument for Hinkie. This is an argument for tanking.

I have no issue with his tanking idea. It's pretty much everything else.


I'd take care with cognitive dissonance critiques, then.


It is possible to say, "I agree with Hinkie that it was the right idea for the Sixers to tank for 3-4 years, but I think that his draft philosophy was poor/inconsistent with his general approach and that he made several significant mistakes, so I didn't mind the Sixers firing him."
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 17179
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 79 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #314 by jester » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:18 pm

Yet the Sixers of today (the team he built still, since he would have selected Simmons) look well positioned to be a very, very good team for years to come. So, he did something right ... and got canned (partially due to league pressure) when he was on the cusp of coming out of the tank period. A fact any analysis of him needs to acknowledge. Quibbling over draft picks here and there is a fact of life for literally every GM in every sport. Mistakes will be made, players will do better and worse than everyone expects.
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 15 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #315 by FlyHigh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:26 pm

jester wrote:Yet the Sixers of today (the team he built still, since he would have selected Simmons) look well positioned to be a very, very good team for years to come. So, he did something right ... and got canned (partially due to league pressure) when he was on the cusp of coming out of the tank period. A fact any analysis of him needs to acknowledge. Quibbling over draft picks here and there is a fact of life for literally every GM in every sport. Mistakes will be made, players will do better and worse than everyone expects.


And again (maybe this is just a core disagreement), I think that validates tanking rather than Hinkie. Hinkie, to his credit, was the first one to openly embrace tanking as a core strategy (many GMs had covertly done this previously of course).

But you could have hired Vinny from South Philly, tell him that his goal was to lose a whole bunch for 3-4 years, and Vinny probably would have also ended up with Embiid and Simmons.

The issue is that at some point, you have to go from the "tanking" phase to the "being good" phase. Based on decisions he made that involved actual basketball, I don't think Hinkie had shown much, if any, capability of overseeing that transition. Of course, I don't have much more faith in the Coangelos, but that's a whole different kettle of fish.
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 17179
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 79 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #316 by jester » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:46 pm

Would Vinny have robbed Sacramento, pocketed LAs pick, etc.? Hinkie was more than just a tank master. One of the reasons the NBA office got so miffed about the Sixers is because they are on the verge of proving the effectiveness of choosing not to compete for middle class status.
User avatar
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Posts: 4743
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:44 am
Has given rep: 37 times
Received rep: 28 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #317 by CantSeeColors » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:01 pm

FlyHigh wrote:
jester wrote:Yet the Sixers of today (the team he built still, since he would have selected Simmons) look well positioned to be a very, very good team for years to come. So, he did something right ... and got canned (partially due to league pressure) when he was on the cusp of coming out of the tank period. A fact any analysis of him needs to acknowledge. Quibbling over draft picks here and there is a fact of life for literally every GM in every sport. Mistakes will be made, players will do better and worse than everyone expects.


And again (maybe this is just a core disagreement), I think that validates tanking rather than Hinkie. Hinkie, to his credit, was the first one to openly embrace tanking as a core strategy (many GMs had covertly done this previously of course).

But you could have hired Vinny from South Philly, tell him that his goal was to lose a whole bunch for 3-4 years, and Vinny probably would have also ended up with Embiid and Simmons.

The issue is that at some point, you have to go from the "tanking" phase to the "being good" phase. Based on decisions he made that involved actual basketball, I don't think Hinkie had shown much, if any, capability of overseeing that transition. Of course, I don't have much more faith in the Coangelos, but that's a whole different kettle of fish.

He hadn't been given the chance to. The pieces weren't there until this year.

As for your "he only drafted established college guys," you're leaving our Saric.

I'm not sure Embiid was really the obvious choice, either. That injury made him super duper risky, and a lot of people were high on guys like Exum.
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 15 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #318 by FlyHigh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:22 pm

jester wrote:Would Vinny have robbed Sacramento, pocketed LAs pick, etc.? Hinkie was more than just a tank master. One of the reasons the NBA office got so miffed about the Sixers is because they are on the verge of proving the effectiveness of choosing not to compete for middle class status.


Alternatively, does Vinny draft Okafor and refuse to invest in any kind of point guard for 3 years that could help your young big men develop? Would Vinny have so alienated NBA agents that the 2nd best player in the 2015 draft refused to even workout for Philly?

jester wrote:He hadn't been given the chance to. The pieces weren't there until this year.

As for your "he only drafted established college guys," you're leaving our Saric.

I'm not sure Embiid was really the obvious choice, either. That injury made him super duper risky, and a lot of people were high on guys like Exum.


Re: Embiid, I remember there being a fairly clear top-3 in that draft and if you've already accepted tanking, it seems to me that Embiid would be the obvious choice. Maybe I am misremembering.

Re: Saric, yep, hopefully turns out to be a good pick and a nice piece of asset management considering he figured out that the Magic wanted Payton (oops).

The problem with having all of Embiid/Okafor/Noel/Saric/Holmes is that you'll have to deal 2 of those guys, maybe 3 (how much of your cap do you want to allocate to centers/big men in the 2017 NBA?), the NBA is already awash in big men, and everybody knows the Sixers need to get rid of somebody. So those assets look great on paper, but ultimately, you're looking at getting pennies on the dollar back for some of them.

Ultimately, you can argue that the Sixers have (potential) superstars and that blowing a No.3 pick, or trading away a No.6 pick for next-to-nothing, is OK, but I don't fully agree with that.
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 17179
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 79 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #319 by jester » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:27 pm

FlyHigh wrote:
jester wrote:Would Vinny have robbed Sacramento, pocketed LAs pick, etc.? Hinkie was more than just a tank master. One of the reasons the NBA office got so miffed about the Sixers is because they are on the verge of proving the effectiveness of choosing not to compete for middle class status.


Alternatively, does Vinny draft Okafor and refuse to invest in any kind of point guard for 3 years that could help your young big men develop? Would Vinny have so alienated NBA agents that the 2nd best player in the 2015 draft refused to even workout for Philly?


This, I think, is a legit critique of his tenure here, and something he himself admitted was a mistake on his part. I am not sure, however, that it undermines the whole picture of what he attempted/accomplished ... it's also an area where I expect a lot more problems as the "old boy" GM style gives way to the more modern analytics driven crowd.
User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7452
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 40 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #320 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:50 pm

I'm pretty sure he didn't trade one of them last year because Embiid wasn't healthy and the team power was taken from him, it's why we got the 15 page booklet about his resignation.


Bryan Colangelo was honestly this last person I wanted to run this team, he's living off his dad's reputation and he is botching this shit pretty hard already. Even if we get minimal for Noel/Okafor it's fine because of Embiid/Simmons and the remaining picks especially LA's and Sacremento's 2018 1st. Embiid is a star who can attract FA's by himself, Philadelphia is still a big market and players will want to come once they show they want to win. Okafor adds nothing of value to this team he clogs the lane and won't be able to run with Embiid and Simmons in the future.

Agreed on the Hinkie part with the agents though, he for sure didn't help himself at all. Embiid was going likely going to go 1 until he broke his foot, the Cavs were blown away with his workout but that injury scared off a shitload of people.

I do think Hinkie's biggest strength was the trades he made, they were pretty damn good honestly. McW is basically a bust at this point and like you guys stated getting LA's 1st and the Kings 1st + chance to swap picks was just incredible.
User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7452
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 40 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #321 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:03 am

Embiid openly pushing for them to let him and Noel play together I wonder if they will listen, Noel got a standing ovation as well tonight. Embiid doesn't seem to want to play with Okafor and considering Embiid is their star I wonder if they will listen and not trade Noel and at least give it a try.
User avatar
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Posts: 4743
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:44 am
Has given rep: 37 times
Received rep: 28 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #322 by CantSeeColors » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:44 am

Players refuse to work out for teams all the time. It's the only leverage they have before the draft, and why would Porzingis want to come to a team that was already chock full of big men? I'd have probably taken him anyway, or one of the shooters (Winslow or Hezonja), but he was just trying to get himself into a big-minute situation in NYC.

As for Embiid being the obvious choice, that was true before the injury, but there was a lot of worry that he'd never be able to play, and that's an entirely reasonable reason to turn your pick to someone else.
User avatar
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Posts: 4743
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:44 am
Has given rep: 37 times
Received rep: 28 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #323 by CantSeeColors » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:46 am

Konecny HypeTrain Captain wrote:Embiid openly pushing for them to let him and Noel play together I wonder if they will listen, Noel got a standing ovation as well tonight. Embiid doesn't seem to want to play with Okafor and considering Embiid is their star I wonder if they will listen and not trade Noel and at least give it a try.

Personally, I want them to give Okafor away if they have to, and would enjoy seeing the Joel/Noel duo go at it. If Embiid is limited to 27 minutes and no back-to-backs, there's 21 minutes at C for Noel in the games Embiid plays, and however many he can handle in the other games. Then you can take 10-12 minutes with them paired together and see what happens.
User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7452
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 40 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #324 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:42 pm

I'm in the same boat CsC. I feel like we have won this regardless considering we have 1 budding superstar and another player who very well could be a superstar in Simmons. Top that with all the huge assets we have still and think if we add a Josh Jackson or somebody to the mix you have 3 incredible young players and unlimited cap space to get whoever you want. At this point I feel like Okafor on the team is just hindering everything and his defense really fucking bothers me considering he couldn't guard my nephew. I would rather have him off the team and I don't care about the return. I'm not sure how they don't see with Okafor, Embiid, SImmons and potential 2 top 10 draft picks this year there just isn't enough basketballs to go around. Okafor needs to dominate the ball to get going we can't give him that opportunity anymore.
User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7452
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 40 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #325 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:37 pm

Okafor getting less and less time, addition by subtraction at this point just dump him for anything. Is it awful that you used the 3rd overall pick for nothing? Absolutely, but don't think it matter much in the grand scheme.
User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7452
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 40 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #326 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Hollis is off the team that's a start fellas
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 15 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #327 by FlyHigh » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:56 pm

A writer on the Ringer threw out the following trade possibility:

PHI gets: CJ McCollum
POR gets: Noel, 2017 Sixers 1st (unprotected), 2019 SAC 1st (unprotected), couple of 2nds

Would you guys do that? Think I'd ultimately say no just cause it sounds like this year's draft is really strong and Sixers would be picking top-8 most likely, but Simmons, McCollum, Embiid, Saric is pretty intriguing. The one thing with the draft is that I believe it's PG heavy, but sounds like they might view Simmons as their PG.
User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7452
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 40 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #328 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:54 pm

Fuck no, there's 5-6 players who could be as good or better than McCollum
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 15 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #329 by FlyHigh » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:04 am

Hmm I had the impression he was like the 3rd or 4th best SG in the league, but maybe I am off? I mean, I think he'd be a solid fit here if they could clean up his D a little bit and I think the bones of a trade centered around Noel and McCollum could help both teams quite a bit, but giving up 2 1sts (which will both probably be top-8 at a minimum) seemed too steep.
User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7452
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 40 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #330 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:13 pm

CJ is an elite scoring 2 guard for sure, but for that package you have to get back either Jimmy Butler or Paul George. What I meant by my comment was not that there are 5-6 SG's who could be as good as CJ or better, but in general. This draft is extremely deep the top 8-10 players will probably have all star potential, with a couple players who look like they will be perennial all stars such as Josh Jackson and Fultz. The other thing is, it seems clear Noel is the one that is going to be staying and Okafor will be shipped which is the right move.

If I were to do something for CJ it would like more like this, Okafor + LA/Philly 1st this year whichever is worse if LA's pick is top 3 then they would just get their pick next year, 2018 Philly 1st rounder(we will be a playoff team next year/0.

That 2019 Sacremento pick is going to have a very good shot at being in the top 3, Boogie is going to be gone most likely.

Simmons is also 100percent their PG, Josh Jackson is ideal for the Sixers in the draft he could turn out like another Wiggins/TMac type player that being said I don't know if you can pass up on Fultz right now.
User avatar
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Posts: 4743
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:44 am
Has given rep: 37 times
Received rep: 28 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #331 by CantSeeColors » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:47 pm

I don't think I give up that 2019 SAC pick for anything short of, like, Steph Curry. Their potential to completely implode and give us a golden pick, right when the team is turning the corner into a real contender, is too hard to pass up. I don't know enough about McCollum to have an opinion on the rest of the package, other than I'd be sad to see Noel go, and that I think our 2017 1st is about to lose a lot of its value because the team is looking likely to play its way out of the top 5.
User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7452
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 40 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #332 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:49 pm

TJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJjj
User avatar
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad
Posts: 2203
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:37 am
Has given rep: 20 times
Received rep: 14 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #333 by Kilgore Trout » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:47 pm

Oh man. The super casual NBA fan in me is very confused by the existence and relevance of CJ McCollum and TJ McConnell.
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 15 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #334 by FlyHigh » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:14 am

Haha the black/white thing helps a lot there. Hinkie/Brown deserve a lot of credit for unearthing McConnell, the fact that he might be a viable NBA player is kind of astonishing.
User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7452
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 40 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #335 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:25 pm



Mute the sound, but you have to love this man.

User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7452
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 40 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #336 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:38 pm

Embiid is truly the hero of Philadelphia
User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7452
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 40 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #337 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:34 pm

If you guys aren't on this bandwaggon get the fuck on it right now, this team is incredible to watch and plays like a Philly team. Ever since Okafor got perma benched they've been winning a lot of games. Simmons comes back soon too this team really might make the post season.
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 15 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #338 by FlyHigh » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:54 am

The Embiid thing is just insane. Zach Lowe had a stat about how the Sixers have a positive point differential with him on the floor and then are the worst team in the league by a mile when he sits.
User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7452
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 40 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #339 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:06 am

We are the 1st or 2nd best defense in the league with him, he's doing the same shit Dream and Shaq did. He will be a HoF barring injuries usually you can argue it's too early, but in this case it isn't. Saric is an unreal player too what a 4th quarter he had he went from Brett Brown screaming at him to fucking move on offense earlier in the game to making 4 game winning plays in the 4th.

When Simmons comes back this team might really go on a tear, playoffs might actually be realistic and don't worry about making the post season we can just swap our pick this year with the Kings THANK YOU HINKIE
User avatar
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Posts: 4743
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:44 am
Has given rep: 37 times
Received rep: 28 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #340 by CantSeeColors » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:54 pm

James harden is the Sidney Crosby of basketball
User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7452
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 40 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #341 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:20 pm

User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7452
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 40 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #342 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:57 pm

Divac needs to be fired if this Cousins trade is true, awful package
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 15 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #343 by FlyHigh » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:01 am

Dude I can't believe that's real.

Also I believe Sixers have swap rights with SAC this year and next year and then their unprotected pick in 2019? The Hinkie debate's been had, but what an absolute heist.
User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7452
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 40 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #344 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:03 am

FlyHigh wrote:Dude I can't believe that's real.

Also I believe Sixers have swap rights with SAC this year and next year and then their unprotected pick in 2019? The Hinkie debate's been had, but what an absolute heist.


Never forget
Image
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 15 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #345 by FlyHigh » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:16 am

Ah just the swap this year then, but even so, SAC is going to absolutely plummet now, maybe they could even catch the Lakers in the loss column.
User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7452
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 40 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #346 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:23 am

I didn't post that to correct you, was just saying like I can't believe that was a trade and I am pretty sure Divac made that trade too. Divac needs to be fired
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 15 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #347 by FlyHigh » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:47 am

Oh yeah for sure no worries, seems mildly surprising that the league isn't stepping in here considering what they did in Philly (and New Orleans before that although in that case I guess maybe the league technically owned the team or something?). But yeah the Divac thing...can't imagine being a Kings fan, this seems worse than the Barkley trade.
User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7452
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 40 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #348 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:13 am

The CP3 trade block was weird because the league said they didn't want to let it go through without an owner in place and then he gets traded to the Clippers anyway.
User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7452
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 40 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #349 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:38 pm

Stupid fuck Colangelo just traded Ilyasova and didn't even get a late first back, this guy fucking blows. We have too many picks to begin with and 2nd rounder have very little value in the NBA considering those players usually never see an NBA floor. I've hated him since day one and he has done nothing right besides drafting Simmons which was the obvious thing to do.

Edit: Nevermind we only get one 2nd round pick and we swap our 2nd rounder for a later 2nd rounder. Attaboy Colangelo
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 15 times

Re: I talk to myself about the Sixers

Post #350 by FlyHigh » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:28 pm

Hinkie at least had some level of intelligence. I have no idea what the Coangelos bring to the table. The fact that Jerry Coangelo's signature achievement appears to be winning Olympic gold medals as the GM of the USA basketball team probably tells us all we need to know.

Return to “The Eric Wellwood Memorial Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests