2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

the tendon-cy to retire is natural.
now with even more memorial.
User avatar
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad
Posts: 6577
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:49 pm
Has given rep: 30 times
Received rep: 9 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #301 by GoneFullHextall » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:53 pm

jester wrote:Ghost is a young offensive D that has some work to do on his game w/o the puck. Hak is sending a message to Ghost (and the team). This smacks of an 82+ game thought process, which is both good and now (November as opposed to March) is the time to do it.

It's tough to really judge this team right now due to goalie shenanigans, but they do have a lot of work to do collectively on puck security and team D.


I don't like the move, but I get why its being done. most are acting like this was a rogue move by Hakstol. I would be shocked if he hasn't had more than 1 discussion with Hextall on this move.
MiD
Registered Broad
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:49 am
Has given rep: 25 times
Received rep: 6 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #302 by MiD » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:05 pm

team D is problem for years and I don't see how scratching Ghost can help with that

if Hak wants "accountability" he should benched VdV after that move everyone would be shiting pants and whispering in disbelief "next game it can be me..."
User avatar
VLoo
Posts: 9246
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:33 am
Has given rep: 52 times
Received rep: 72 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #303 by VLoo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:17 pm

vonbonds wrote:
Bow Tie wrote:
vonbonds wrote:How dare you idiots trade Middletown, NJ finest specimen (besides myself of course) to date!


Not us, man. It was the guy who wanted to bring back Lindros in 2012.

Don't worry though, I'm the guy in our fantasy league that traded for him simply because he was from Middletown, NJ. He can toss out 20 pts a year and he has a guaranteed spot in my lineup..lol


I got 3 good NHLers for him. It was a fair trade :colbert:
User avatar
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad
Posts: 6577
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:49 pm
Has given rep: 30 times
Received rep: 9 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #304 by GoneFullHextall » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:25 pm

MiD wrote:team D is problem for years and I don't see how scratching Ghost can help with that

if Hak wants "accountability" he should benched VdV after that move everyone would be shiting pants and whispering in disbelief "next game it can be me..."


benching a 4th line player doesn't send a message to anyone.
scratching arguably your best defender will no doubt send one. I don't like it, but it isn't the first time a young kid has been scratched before.

I hope the Flyers crush the Jets tonight. It will throw all the HF logic and thinking out the window.
User avatar
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Posts: 10683
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:47 pm
Has given rep: 915 times
Received rep: 465 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #305 by vonbonds » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:30 pm

VLoo wrote:
vonbonds wrote:
Bow Tie wrote:
Not us, man. It was the guy who wanted to bring back Lindros in 2012.

Don't worry though, I'm the guy in our fantasy league that traded for him simply because he was from Middletown, NJ. He can toss out 20 pts a year and he has a guaranteed spot in my lineup..lol


I got 3 good NHLers for him. It was a fair trade :colbert:

What was the trade, do you remember?
User avatar
VLoo
Posts: 9246
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:33 am
Has given rep: 52 times
Received rep: 72 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #306 by VLoo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:32 pm

JVR, Jurco, Pavelec and a 2nd for Jumbo Joe(50% salary for the season), Bobby Ryan(50% also), Jenner and a 3rd
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4741
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 4 times
Received rep: 12 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #307 by FlyHigh » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:38 pm

I don't really buy the "sending a message" stuff. These guys are all professional hockey players; they have plenty of motivation.

Is scratching Ghost going to make Schultz faster? Or MacD suck less? Or make MDZ stop getting turn-stiled through the neutral zone? My guess would be no.

Same thing applies to the Raffl scratching which was equally bizarre.
User avatar
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Posts: 10683
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:47 pm
Has given rep: 915 times
Received rep: 465 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #308 by vonbonds » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:40 pm

VLoo wrote:JVR, Jurco, Pavelec and a 2nd for Jumbo Joe(50% salary for the season), Bobby Ryan(50% also), Jenner and a 3rd

Basically you won that trade quote handily but I'm happy with having JvR so all is good.
User avatar
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad
Posts: 6577
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:49 pm
Has given rep: 30 times
Received rep: 9 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #309 by GoneFullHextall » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:46 pm

I disagree. sometimes a team needs a wakeup call. A bag skate, a benching of a good player on the team.
more than just Hakstol in the Flyers organization hasn't liked the way the team has performed this year for a variety of reasons.
As far as some of the individuals like Schultz and AMAC overall play being bad? Hak really has no choice but to play them tonight aside. We all know where the weak links are on this team.
MDZ for the most part has been fine so far. Not going to single him out like others on the backend.
User avatar
Bow Tie
Registered Broad
Posts: 10794
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:21 am
Has given rep: 6 times
Received rep: 10 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #310 by Bow Tie » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:07 pm

I don't think Ghost sitting is about improving the skills of other players, but their mindsets. Despite his lack of experience, he's supposed to be the example. If the example is sitting in the presser they should be tightening up their game.
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 17068
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 8 times
Received rep: 74 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #311 by jester » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:11 pm

FlyHigh wrote:I don't really buy the "sending a message" stuff. These guys are all professional hockey players; they have plenty of motivation.

Is scratching Ghost going to make Schultz faster? Or MacD suck less? Or make MDZ stop getting turn-stiled through the neutral zone? My guess would be no.

Same thing applies to the Raffl scratching which was equally bizarre.


Doldrums, laziness, and lack of attention to detail occur at all levels and situations.

I just don't see this stuff as anything to get too upset about this time of year (BSH crowd is losing it). Does Ghost "deserve" it? No, but this teams needs to tighten up collectively and, as noted above, you do not send that message by benching a 4th liner.

I have missed a number of early games for a variety of reasons, so haven't watched this group too closely just yet ... but defensive lapses have been a problem, lazy and/or dangerous passes (Voracek the other night to Couturier that ended up in a goal against) seem to occur too often, etc. Now, I think a real problem right now is that the goaltending has been brutal, which means that the team out front has little margin for error most nights. So, to an extent their struggles alleviate quickly the moment the goalies start stopping what they should stop with a bit more regularity. In the meantime, however, they need to win games.
MiD
Registered Broad
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:49 am
Has given rep: 25 times
Received rep: 6 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #312 by MiD » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:17 pm

ok, guys... to be clear I was joking about benching VdV instead Ghost to send message
sorry for not ending that sentence with fancy emoji
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4741
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 4 times
Received rep: 12 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #313 by FlyHigh » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:20 pm

I mean, this isn't some kind of Hakstol deal-breaker. I've complained enough about VdV (and the Bellemare 3C thing is also weird), but ultimately it seems like there is some definite progress in the on-ice product. I also agree about the defensive lapses, Ghost himself was guilty of a pretty bad one a few games ago trying to stickhandle in the corner and it led to a goal against (can't remember which game).

All of that being said, Ghost has been the best d-man on the team this year by a fairly significant margin. Dude is driving play at nearly a 60% rate when he's not playing with AMac and while possession stats are not the end-all be-all, that's still impressive. PP has also been generally outstanding this year.

I mean, think about the logic here. Hak is basically saying, "I literally cannot figure out a single way to send a message that we need to tighten up defensively other than scratching my best defenseman who has played quite well this year despite spending most of his time with an AHL partner." Just doesn't make sense. If you want to send a message about poor play, scratch Manning/Gudas who were both embarrassed by Turris on the game-tying goal on Monday. Or scratch whoever was on the ice at the end of that Wild game when they relied on Mason to make 4-5 extraordinary saves.

Also, the team has a game to win tonight, they are playing a really high-powered offense, and they just scratched the best d-man on their roster for the worst. I would say that the odds of winning tonight just took a fairly dramatic hit.
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 17068
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 8 times
Received rep: 74 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #314 by jester » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:35 pm

If you ever crack open a psych book on learning, one of the lessons is that immediate, maximal force in training is better than gradual. The former gets attention, the latter builds resistance.
User avatar
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Posts: 4708
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:44 am
Has given rep: 33 times
Received rep: 21 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #315 by CantSeeColors » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:53 pm

GoneFullHextall wrote:
MiD wrote:team D is problem for years and I don't see how scratching Ghost can help with that

if Hak wants "accountability" he should benched VdV after that move everyone would be shiting pants and whispering in disbelief "next game it can be me..."


benching a 4th line player doesn't send a message to anyone.
scratching arguably your best defender will no doubt send one. I don't like it, but it isn't the first time a young kid has been scratched before.

I hope the Flyers crush the Jets tonight. It will throw all the HF logic and thinking out the window.

AMac will score the winning goal in OT.
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4741
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 4 times
Received rep: 12 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #316 by FlyHigh » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:12 pm

jester wrote:If you ever crack open a psych book on learning, one of the lessons is that immediate, maximal force in training is better than gradual. The former gets attention, the latter builds resistance.


Take that to its logical endpoint. If they really want to eliminate defensive mistakes they should also scratch Giroux/Voracek/Couturier so that everybody definitely gets the message.
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 17068
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 8 times
Received rep: 74 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #317 by jester » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:27 pm

FlyHigh wrote:
jester wrote:If you ever crack open a psych book on learning, one of the lessons is that immediate, maximal force in training is better than gradual. The former gets attention, the latter builds resistance.


Take that to its logical endpoint. If they really want to eliminate defensive mistakes they should also scratch Giroux/Voracek/Couturier so that everybody definitely gets the message.


Yep, but we all have our limits.
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4741
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 4 times
Received rep: 12 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #318 by FlyHigh » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:55 pm

jester wrote:
FlyHigh wrote:
jester wrote:If you ever crack open a psych book on learning, one of the lessons is that immediate, maximal force in training is better than gradual. The former gets attention, the latter builds resistance.


Take that to its logical endpoint. If they really want to eliminate defensive mistakes they should also scratch Giroux/Voracek/Couturier so that everybody definitely gets the message.


Yep, but we all have our limits.


Just seems dumb to decide to take a hard line with Gostisbehere when he's been one of the 4-5 best-performing players on the team this year. I mean heck, I think the world of the guy, but Couturier has had plenty of sloppy moments this year and hasn't generated offense like the team would have hoped I imagine.

I guess my broader worry with Hak/the org in general is that it seems like we're still prioritizing "grinders" outside of the top-6/top-4 D rather than guys that drive play and score goals. I mean, it's not a crisis or anything, but the fact that you're seeing guys like Raffl/Cousins/Laughton/Ghost scratched in favor of guys like VdV/PEB/Lyubimov/Weise/MacD is mildly concerning to me and a little reminiscent of the Berube glory days when MDZ was in and out of the lineup while Grossmann started every game he was available.
User avatar
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad
Posts: 6518
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Central Jersey
Has given rep: 57 times
Received rep: 26 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #319 by JLHockeyKnight » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:25 pm

jester wrote:Ghost is a young offensive D that has some work to do on his game w/o the puck. Hak is sending a message to Ghost (and the team). This smacks of an 82+ game thought process, which is both good and now (November as opposed to March) is the time to do it.

It's tough to really judge this team right now due to goalie shenanigans, but they do have a lot of work to do collectively on puck security and team D.


This was my first thought, at a minimum Hakstol basically just said that no one is untouchable if they don't perform. Hopefully that gets the defense to buckle down a bit more because that and goaltending have clearly been our weak spots.

That said, Mason played a solid 58 minutes against Ottawa. Sucks to try to build momentum off that and then your coach benches your best defenseman.
User avatar
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad
Posts: 6518
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Central Jersey
Has given rep: 57 times
Received rep: 26 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #320 by JLHockeyKnight » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:33 pm

FlyHigh wrote:I don't really buy the "sending a message" stuff. These guys are all professional hockey players; they have plenty of motivation.

Is scratching Ghost going to make Schultz faster? Or MacD suck less? Or make MDZ stop getting turn-stiled through the neutral zone? My guess would be no.

Same thing applies to the Raffl scratching which was equally bizarre.


I'm not reading it as motivation as much as I am complacency. I think Hakstol wants him to sit up in the press box and watch the plays develop and form so he can start adapting his game. One of the complaints on Ghost this year is teams are starting to figure out how to shut him down better, and I think the mindset is that he can figure out how to adapt on the fly by getting a better look at the team's style of play (vs. being part of that style every game).
User avatar
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad
Posts: 6518
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Central Jersey
Has given rep: 57 times
Received rep: 26 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #321 by JLHockeyKnight » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:36 pm

CantSeeColors wrote:
GoneFullHextall wrote:
MiD wrote:team D is problem for years and I don't see how scratching Ghost can help with that

if Hak wants "accountability" he should benched VdV after that move everyone would be shiting pants and whispering in disbelief "next game it can be me..."


benching a 4th line player doesn't send a message to anyone.
scratching arguably your best defender will no doubt send one. I don't like it, but it isn't the first time a young kid has been scratched before.

I hope the Flyers crush the Jets tonight. It will throw all the HF logic and thinking out the window.

AMac will score the winning goal in OT.


Nah, the Jets are one of those teams like Ottawa or Buffalo that I always feel like we do what we did Tuesday...give up a late tying goal, and lose in OT/SO. I'm calling that's how tonight's game is........if it isn't a total blowout.
User avatar
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad
Posts: 6518
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Central Jersey
Has given rep: 57 times
Received rep: 26 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #322 by JLHockeyKnight » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:37 pm

jester wrote:
FlyHigh wrote:
jester wrote:If you ever crack open a psych book on learning, one of the lessons is that immediate, maximal force in training is better than gradual. The former gets attention, the latter builds resistance.


Take that to its logical endpoint. If they really want to eliminate defensive mistakes they should also scratch Giroux/Voracek/Couturier so that everybody definitely gets the message.


Yep, but we all have our limits.


It's easier to convince management to healthy scratch a $1 million player than an $8 million player. Among other things those 3 bring to the table.
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4741
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 4 times
Received rep: 12 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #323 by FlyHigh » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:18 pm

JLHockeyKnight wrote:
FlyHigh wrote:I don't really buy the "sending a message" stuff. These guys are all professional hockey players; they have plenty of motivation.

Is scratching Ghost going to make Schultz faster? Or MacD suck less? Or make MDZ stop getting turn-stiled through the neutral zone? My guess would be no.

Same thing applies to the Raffl scratching which was equally bizarre.


I'm not reading it as motivation as much as I am complacency. I think Hakstol wants him to sit up in the press box and watch the plays develop and form so he can start adapting his game. One of the complaints on Ghost this year is teams are starting to figure out how to shut him down better, and I think the mindset is that he can figure out how to adapt on the fly by getting a better look at the team's style of play (vs. being part of that style every game).


I don't get this at all though. I guess we aren't in the locker room, but there's no real evidence that Ghost is being "complacent." As I said, take him away from MacDonald and his Corsi percentage is nearly 60%. And I mean, yeah, he's probably not been great defensively. I don't think he'll ever be great defensively. Is watching a game in the press box going to help with that?

Dude is on pace for 50 points this year as a 23 year-old 2nd year NHL d-man and is QB'ing one of the best power plays in the league. There is not a problem with him specifically.

Again, if we're talking "accountability", bench Gudas and/or Manning for Turris' goal on Tuesday which probably cost us a point.
User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7373
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 17 times
Received rep: 35 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #324 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:29 pm

I'm sure Streit will bring the same flair running the PECO tonight
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 8200
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 17 times
Contact:

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #325 by Hovercraft » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:40 pm

I'm surprised Ghost has come out before Provorov honestly, because they have both had turnover problems at times this year but it should be easier to bench a 1st year pro player than Ghost.
Both have 19 registered giveaways this year to lead the team, but that's expected of young puck moving D really. Burns and Karlsson lead the league in giveaways.
User avatar
Bow Tie
Registered Broad
Posts: 10794
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:21 am
Has given rep: 6 times
Received rep: 10 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #326 by Bow Tie » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:42 pm

I don't think it's about the player at all. I think it's about the kind of player. You'd expect a rookie to get benched...you're not figuring you'll miss your premier d-man. And frankly, Provy probably isn't far behind.
User avatar
Bow Tie
Registered Broad
Posts: 10794
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:21 am
Has given rep: 6 times
Received rep: 10 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #327 by Bow Tie » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:26 pm

jester wrote:I have missed a number of early games for a variety of reasons


What happened to you, China? You used to be cool.
User avatar
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad
Posts: 6518
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Central Jersey
Has given rep: 57 times
Received rep: 26 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #328 by JLHockeyKnight » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:28 pm

Bow Tie wrote:
jester wrote:I have missed a number of early games for a variety of reasons


What happened to you, China? You used to be cool.


You pay later!
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 17068
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 8 times
Received rep: 74 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #329 by jester » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:57 pm

Bow Tie wrote:
jester wrote:I have missed a number of early games for a variety of reasons


What happened to you, China? You used to be cool.


Don't let anyone ever tell you that kids don't ruin your life.
User avatar
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad
Posts: 6577
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:49 pm
Has given rep: 30 times
Received rep: 9 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #330 by GoneFullHextall » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:01 am

Hovercraft wrote:I'm surprised Ghost has come out before Provorov honestly, because they have both had turnover problems at times this year but it should be easier to bench a 1st year pro player than Ghost.
Both have 19 registered giveaways this year to lead the team, but that's expected of young puck moving D really. Burns and Karlsson lead the league in giveaways.


BSH and HF would lose their shit even more if Provorov was ever scratched. Sounds like had a rough game tonight and that is going to happen. Part of learning the position. Kid is going to be something else when he puts it all together.
User avatar
Bow Tie
Registered Broad
Posts: 10794
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:21 am
Has given rep: 6 times
Received rep: 10 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #331 by Bow Tie » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:45 am

jester wrote:
Bow Tie wrote:
jester wrote:I have missed a number of early games for a variety of reasons


What happened to you, China? You used to be cool.


Don't let anyone ever tell you that kids don't ruin your life.


Man, I don't even have kids and I barely have the games on as background noise at this point. If I have any, odds are I won't watch sports until they want to.
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 17068
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 8 times
Received rep: 74 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #332 by jester » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:53 am

Ha, it's actually less to do with him than other stuff (travel, etc.). That being said, dinner-bath-bed routine runs through the beginning of every game.
User avatar
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad
Posts: 6518
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Central Jersey
Has given rep: 57 times
Received rep: 26 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #333 by JLHockeyKnight » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:52 pm

GoneFullHextall wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:I'm surprised Ghost has come out before Provorov honestly, because they have both had turnover problems at times this year but it should be easier to bench a 1st year pro player than Ghost.
Both have 19 registered giveaways this year to lead the team, but that's expected of young puck moving D really. Burns and Karlsson lead the league in giveaways.


BSH and HF would lose their shit even more if Provorov was ever scratched. Sounds like had a rough game tonight and that is going to happen. Part of learning the position. Kid is going to be something else when he puts it all together.


You know what, Bundy was talking about it last night and said he was supposed to be scratched one game during his career, then the Flyers went on a winning streak and he ended up sitting 9 games. My point: I wouldn't be shocked if Ghost sits tomorrow too...though I hope he doesn't.
User avatar
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad
Posts: 6518
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Central Jersey
Has given rep: 57 times
Received rep: 26 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #334 by JLHockeyKnight » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:58 pm

jester wrote:Ha, it's actually less to do with him than other stuff (travel, etc.). That being said, dinner-bath-bed routine runs through the beginning of every game.


OMG this. My daughter's first 9 months were basically "no you come to me" so I didn't have to run around to the 3 families (my parents are divorced, luckily my wife's parents aren't otherwise it would be 4 families). I'd still go to them but if they weren't willing to come to me, I wasn't against just sitting at home all weekend and recharging my batteries.

Dinner-bath-bed routine, when you get it down, is fucking beautiful. By 6PM we have dinner, 6:30-6:45 it's bath time, read a book and such, then 7PM bed time. My daughter has meput her down in the crib, but before that she dims down the light switch for her room lights, leans her forehead forward so Mommy can kiss her good night, then I kiss her good night and put her off into her crib. No fuss, is usually asleep within 5 minutes. I normally make the beginning of every Flyers game.

Usually if I miss something during the game, it's because I'm moving around to do chores to get ready for the next day, or falling asleep due to pure exhaustion.
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 17068
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 8 times
Received rep: 74 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #335 by jester » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:30 pm

We got him locked into a 730 no fuss bed time. It's wonderful.
User avatar
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Posts: 4708
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:44 am
Has given rep: 33 times
Received rep: 21 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #336 by CantSeeColors » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:01 pm

Man, you get home early enough to have dinner at 6? I'm jealous
User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7373
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 17 times
Received rep: 35 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #337 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:52 pm

Ghost back in the lineup
User avatar
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad
Posts: 2197
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:37 am
Has given rep: 18 times
Received rep: 13 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #338 by Kilgore Trout » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:35 pm

CantSeeColors wrote:Man, you get home early enough to have dinner at 6? I'm jealous


Sometimes I have dinner at 6. You know, if I eat at my desk.
User avatar
Bow Tie
Registered Broad
Posts: 10794
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:21 am
Has given rep: 6 times
Received rep: 10 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #339 by Bow Tie » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:20 pm

You sold your souls to become lawyers and you couldn't even negotiate meal times? :crossarms:
User avatar
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Posts: 10683
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:47 pm
Has given rep: 915 times
Received rep: 465 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #340 by vonbonds » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:25 pm

:pacman:
User avatar
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Posts: 4708
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:44 am
Has given rep: 33 times
Received rep: 21 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #341 by CantSeeColors » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:47 am

Bow Tie wrote:You sold your souls to become lawyers and you couldn't even negotiate meal times? :crossarms:

Like KT said, it's not meal time that's the issue, it's meal location!

In seriousness, I'm out of the office by 5:30 every day, it's just a combination of the commute and the fact that I do most of the cooking that prevents dinner by 6.
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4741
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 4 times
Received rep: 12 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #342 by FlyHigh » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:57 pm

Might be very late on the uptake here, but apparently Laughton is staying in the AHL indefinitely? I thought it was just a rehab stint. If he is that is an....interesting decision.
User avatar
dbr
Registered Broad
Posts: 8448
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:16 pm
Has given rep: 11 times
Received rep: 2 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #343 by dbr » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:26 pm

Lets see what Hextall's patience are made of with regards to Laughton's development. I guess he isn't impressed with what he has seen out of him at the NHL level.
User avatar
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad
Posts: 6518
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Central Jersey
Has given rep: 57 times
Received rep: 26 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #344 by JLHockeyKnight » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:56 pm

dbr wrote:Lets see what Hextall's patience are made of with regards to Laughton's development. I guess he isn't impressed with what he has seen out of him at the NHL level.


I always thought that was a cap move. Cap Friendly has us $900K over cap but we have relief from Neuvirth and Gordon in LTIR (but they're still factored into the cap hit). If Stolarz goes back down, assuming we will still be a bit over the cap. Meaning I would guess Lyubimov goes back down considering he's waivers exempt. So unless they make a move to clear cap space, don't think they have the room to bring Laughton back up.
User avatar
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Posts: 4708
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:44 am
Has given rep: 33 times
Received rep: 21 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #345 by CantSeeColors » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:54 pm

I'm pretty confident that hextall would rather have his recent first round pick playing top line minutes in the ahl than getting 9 minutes a night on a line withh VdV in the NHL. Not a cap move at all IMO
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 4741
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 4 times
Received rep: 12 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #346 by FlyHigh » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:19 pm

Yah I guess I don't really see how Laughton is benefiting all that much out of it. Was kinda hoping that this would be a season where we could see whether he's on his way to "reliable top-9, outside chance at top-6" piece or whether he's going to be more of a marginal player. Maybe they're just counting on not resigning VdV, losing a guy or two in expansion, and giving him that shot next year. Just seems like a bit of a waste from a player development standpoint.
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 8200
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 17 times
Contact:

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #347 by Hovercraft » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:23 pm

FlyHigh wrote:Yah I guess I don't really see how Laughton is benefiting all that much out of it. Was kinda hoping that this would be a season where we could see whether he's on his way to "reliable top-9, outside chance at top-6" piece or whether he's going to be more of a marginal player. Maybe they're just counting on not resigning VdV, losing a guy or two in expansion, and giving him that shot next year. Just seems like a bit of a waste from a player development standpoint.


Yeah it sucks for him, but Cousins showed more at C than Laughton unfortunately. Maybe if we move someone at the deadline he'll be back up. At this point I wonder if Hex is even planning on protecting him from expansion.
User avatar
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad
Posts: 6518
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Central Jersey
Has given rep: 57 times
Received rep: 26 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #348 by JLHockeyKnight » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:55 pm

CantSeeColors wrote:I'm pretty confident that hextall would rather have his recent first round pick playing top line minutes in the ahl than getting 9 minutes a night on a line withh VdV in the NHL. Not a cap move at all IMO


Good point, but is my math wrong regarding the cap? Still looks like there isn't space whether he wants to come up or not, just eyeballing Cap Friendly and doing the math in my head.
User avatar
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Posts: 7373
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm
Has given rep: 17 times
Received rep: 35 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #349 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:56 pm

If we waive MacDonald don't we save a bunch of cap space
User avatar
VLoo
Posts: 9246
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:33 am
Has given rep: 52 times
Received rep: 72 times

Re: 2016-17 Pertinent Flyers News

Post #350 by VLoo » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:14 pm

Konecny HypeTrain Captain wrote:If we waive MacDonald don't we save a bunch of cap space


Only $950,000

Return to “The Eric Wellwood Memorial Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests