the tendon-cy to retire is natural.
now with even more memorial.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 81 times
Received rep: 36 times

Re: Flyers Preseason GDT

Post #51 by JLHockeyKnight » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:42 pm

Nice setup by Giroux and nice shot by Morin.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 20 times
Received rep: 30 times

Post #52 by DeadPhish » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:50 pm

Think any Flyer forwards are ever gonna score?
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #53 by JLHockeyKnight » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:44 pm

DeadPhish wrote:Think any Flyer forwards are ever gonna score?

WOOOOOOOOO
Rogers Pancreas
Has given rep: 34 times
Received rep: 84 times

Post #54 by Rogers Pancreas » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:45 pm

Sanheim, Morin and Hagg have all played better than MannDonald. I'm almost positive I know what Hextall's going to do, but they're making it difficult.
His Satanic Majestic Request
DeadPhish
Registered Broad

Post #55 by DeadPhish » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:41 pm

:pitbull:
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 28 times

Post #56 by Hovercraft » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:12 pm

Rogers Pancreas wrote:Sanheim, Morin and Hagg have all played better than MannDonald. I'm almost positive I know what Hextall's going to do, but they're making it difficult.

Any chance MacDonald gets waived again?
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 43 times
Received rep: 11 times

Post #57 by GoneFullHextall » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:44 pm

Manning and AMAC should be 7th defenseman right now.
But I doubt it happens. Even ho it should
Rogers Pancreas

Post #58 by Rogers Pancreas » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:26 pm

I'd say there's a good chance AMAC gets waived again. At the same time, I can't see a reality in which Hextall sends three rookie defensemen out on opening night.

He's been relatively progressive in his approach to re-tooling, but that's borderline inconceivable for most guys in his position.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #59 by JLHockeyKnight » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:34 pm

Rogers Pancreas wrote:I'd say there's a good chance AMAC gets waived again. At the same time, I can't see a reality in which Hextall sends three rookie defensemen out on opening night.

He's been relatively progressive in his approach to re-tooling, but that's borderline inconceivable for most guys in his position.

I'd say maybe a 20% chance MacDonald gets waived. Otherwise, I'm putting money on that Sanheim goes back down to round out the rough edges.

And agreed, I think Hextall is worried of sending out such a young defense if all 3 come up. Likewise, they're going to need time to learn. Hell, even Provorov struggled the first 20-25 games and then became our best defender. That in mind with 3 new young defenders, if they pull through that learning curve in 25 games (unlikely all 3 do it that quick), the team could very well be on the outside of the playoffs looking in. If the Flyers want any chance of cracking the playoffs this year, we'll need SOME veteran presence. Sadly with the albatross contract, that presence may be AMac. As much as I'm holding back the vomit in my mouth saying that.
jester
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 92 times

Post #60 by jester » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:02 pm

Sanheim will get a good number of games via injury no matter what this year ... assuming he isn't an injury victim himself (crosses fingers).
Rogers Pancreas

Post #61 by Rogers Pancreas » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:08 pm

You son of a bitch, jester. You just ruined him.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #62 by jester » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:11 pm

Rogers Pancreas wrote:You son of a bitch, jester. You just ruined him.

If I had that kind of power, the Atlanta Braves plane probably would have gone down in the 90s. I think we're safe.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #63 by Rogers Pancreas » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:45 pm

JLHockeyKnight wrote:
Rogers Pancreas wrote:I'd say there's a good chance AMAC gets waived again. At the same time, I can't see a reality in which Hextall sends three rookie defensemen out on opening night.

I'd say maybe a 20% chance MacDonald gets waived. Otherwise, I'm putting money on that Sanheim goes back down to round out the rough edges.

And agreed, I think Hextall is worried of sending out such a young defense if all 3 come up. Likewise, they're going to need time to learn. Hell, even Provorov struggled the first 20-25 games and then became our best defender. That in mind with 3 new young defenders, if they pull through that learning curve in 25 games (unlikely all 3 do it that quick), the team could very well be on the outside of the playoffs looking in. If the Flyers want any chance of cracking the playoffs this year, we'll need SOME veteran presence. Sadly with the albatross contract, that presence may be AMac. As much as I'm holding back the vomit in my mouth saying that.

I disagree. If the Flyers make the playoffs, it's going to be on the backs of our youngest, and most talented players. Which gets me thinking. Do we really want such a young roster to have the kind of success the Leafs are having right now? I think back to players like Steve Mason, who enjoyed so much success early in their careers, but didn't fully understand the scope of what it takes to reach that level consistently. And that's what we want of our players. I think I speak for everyone here when I say we're not looking for Calder trophies, All-Star Game MVP honors, or Wild Card playoff spots. We're looking for Championships, and I personally believe that requires a very different mentality of our young core.

Side note: As much as we may hate Manning, he's also the longest tenured defenseman in the organization right now - dating back to 2011. MacDonald may have more games played in Philadelphia, and Gudas may be more competent (both 1990 birthdays, mind you), but the guy does have that in his favor. And, if you're talking "veteran experience", it's not insignificant. So, maybe Hakstol turns to Manning and Gudas for veteran leadership, and maybe Hextall flushes AMAC and his contract. Don't know.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 42 times
Received rep: 31 times

Post #64 by CantSeeColors » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:41 am

Weirdly, I think it's more likely AMac gets waived than Manning. If 3 rookies make the team, you have to waive one of those guys, and someone might actually claim Manning. Given that injuries always happen, you probably don't want to lose a guy (Manning) who is a competent 6-7 defender, has some "veteran" qualities, and is more than willing to stand up for his teammates.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 20 times

Post #65 by FlyHigh » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:57 am

I'm not sure how much I agree with holding Sanheim back if he's ready. If we had competent veterans, that'd be one thing, but AMac/Manning are 3rd pair guys at best, so hopefully there isn't much of a drop-off (if any) from the learning curve for the young guys. Hopefully our true window stays open for a while, but they have limited time before Giroux and Jake start really declining (which may have happened already) and there's probably a decent chance that they lose Simmonds after the next 2 years.

But if they think Sanheim is ready (and based on his last AHL season and his preseason, there's probably a decent argument that he is), they should absolutely be trying to win this year. Kind of unfortunate that the Metro is so stacked right now.

EDIT: Also worth noting that with the possible exception of Ghost (and I think I'd be OK putting Hagg/Morin w/ him in sheltered minutes), we at least have 3 guys who I'd be OK pairing rookies with. Realize that this would mean that at least one of em would have to play some tougher mins, but there's some decent precedent around the league for rookies doing OK in tough minutes when they're paired with good partners.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad

Post #66 by DeadPhish » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:21 pm

Lines for tonight:
Claude Giroux Sean Couturier Jakub Voracek
Jordan Weal Nolan Patrick Wayne Simmonds
Travis Konecny Valtteri Filppula Dale Weise
Jori Lehtera Scott Laughton Matt Read

Ivan Provorov Travis Sanheim
Sam Morin Shayne Gostisbehere
Brandon Manning Radko Gudas

Michal Neuvirth
Brian Elliott

I wouldnt mind if those are the D pairings going into the season.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad

Post #67 by DeadPhish » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:19 pm

They need to figure out this power play. Or even forward scoring in general.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad

Post #68 by DeadPhish » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:48 pm

First Vorachek sighting of the year.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad

Post #69 by DeadPhish » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:48 pm

Also, are they bringing back Song 2 for the goal song?
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 27 times
Received rep: 51 times

Post #70 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:17 pm

I enjoy having 4 dmen that have pretty good shots from the point, Sanheim, Gost, Morin and Provorov all have shots from the point you have to be aware of.
dbr
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 19 times
Received rep: 3 times

Post #71 by dbr » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:34 pm

DeadPhish wrote:Also, are they bringing back Song 2 for the goal song?

They have no idea what song to use. Plus, I think that's Pittsburgh's goal song.

Lyon looked pretty solid.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad

Post #72 by DeadPhish » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:15 am

dbr wrote:
DeadPhish wrote:Also, are they bringing back Song 2 for the goal song?

They have no idea what song to use. Plus, I think that's Pittsburgh's goal song.

Lyon looked pretty solid.

Is it? I just remember the Flyers using pre lockout. Maybe a little after.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #73 by Hovercraft » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:40 am

jester
Registered Broad

Post #74 by jester » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:33 am

I take no small amount of pleasure in observing Meltzer's transition from defending the AMac signing to defending him as a 6/7 D. Contract is not really a big deal right now, but it will be nice to be rid of him.
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 27 times
Received rep: 51 times

Post #75 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:44 pm

It's bad when the kids who haven't even played in the NHL know you suck
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #76 by FlyHigh » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:27 pm

So, plan appears to be Lindblom to AHL, AMac to top pairing, and Weise-Filppula to anchor the 3rd line.

Great.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #77 by CantSeeColors » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:53 pm

Most of that makes sense, and hakstol has shown that he'll adjust D usage pretty quickly once a rookie shows he's figured things out. Both prov and ghost started getting big minutes after 20 games or so
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #78 by JLHockeyKnight » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:09 pm

Yeah I know people online will flip shit if AMac makes the team, especially if it's at the expense of Sanheim, but while Sanheim impressed me more than I expected, he still seemed pretty rough around the edges. So I'm fine sending him down since he won't need to pass through waivers and let him round his game out a bit before coming up when someone inevitably gets injured. I also think management likes AMac, so it's kinda fun to just let him be while watching people online go bonkers over him being on the team.

Likewise, the Flyers do have a bit of a logjam up front too. I'm gonna guess Read will be moved as a depth forward come trade deadline, so throwing him to the AHL won't help our cause to make him worth anything. And Flip will be gone at the end of this season.

That said, at the end of the day, I still don't think Hextall has entered "win now" mode. I think his goal is 18/19. So he's willing to basically just ride this season out and start the push next season. I'm actually OK with this. That will leave Provorov, Ghost, TK, Morin, Hagg, and Patrick with all of their rookie mistakes out of their system, and maybe in the second half of the season Lindblom and Sanheim come up and finish the season off.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #79 by FlyHigh » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:32 pm

That's all fine except they have 16 million invested in two guys who are already beginning to decline.

They should be trying to win now. Either Sanheim is better than AMac/Manning now or he isn't (I would expect that he is tbh), but either way another 20-30 AHL games isn't going to make a significant difference.

At some point, the AHL has limited utility. One of the guys on The Athletic had an interesting point about how Morin's passing ability this preseason is still way below average on zone exits compared to the other guys. This is after 2 full AHL seasons. I very much doubt that more AHL seasoning is going to help him on that front. I'm similarly skeptical that playing more against minor leaguers is going to help Sanheim make big strides defensively.

And handing Weise a top-9 role based on 10 good games in garbage time last season despite the fact that numerous guys on the roster either A) have better NHL resumes or B) outperformed him in preseason (or both!) is just objectively not super smart.

Ah well, might as well wait till the games get going plus the Eagles look OK this year.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #80 by jester » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:52 pm

The Flyers should not be trying to win now. Maybe next year *if* the young guys make the case for it.

Flyer fans have been bitching about the teams lack of patience for decades. They should visit the mirror in their bathroom and contemplate the nature of two-way streets.

Sanheim, Morin, and Lindblom will all play in the NHL this year. Potentially for most of the year (e.g., Ghost and Giroux). Patience.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #81 by FlyHigh » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:34 pm

jester wrote:The Flyers should not be trying to win now. Maybe next year *if* the young guys make the case for it.

Flyer fans have been bitching about the teams lack of patience for decades. They should visit the mirror in their bathroom and contemplate the nature of two-way streets.

Sanheim, Morin, and Lindblom will all play in the NHL this year. Potentially for most of the year (e.g., Ghost and Giroux). Patience.

They have another 2-3 years where Provorov/Patrick will be cheap, Simmonds will be under contract, and Giroux/Jake could still be potential top-line contributors. Let's not act like the team has an indefinite window. Things could look very different in 2-3 years, particularly if the Giroux decline starts to become A Thing.

Obviously you don't trade the team's prospects/picks for the 2017 version of Denis Gauthier and you don't rush guys that aren't ready. You keep drafting and building for the future. But "winning now" means icing the best version of this team's lineup. The Flyers don't appear to be willing to do that.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #82 by jester » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:49 pm

FlyHigh wrote:
jester wrote:The Flyers should not be trying to win now. Maybe next year *if* the young guys make the case for it.

They have another 2-3 years where Provorov/Patrick will be cheap, Simmonds will be under contract, and Giroux/Jake could still be potential top-line contributors. Let's not act like the team has an indefinite window. Things could look very different in 2-3 years, particularly if the Giroux decline starts to become A Thing.

Obviously you don't trade the team's prospects/picks for the 2017 version of Denis Gauthier and you don't rush guys that aren't ready. You keep drafting and building for the future. But "winning now" means icing the best version of this team's lineup. The Flyers don't appear to be willing to do that.

There is no such thing as a team dressing rookies as a third of it's lineup that is in "win now" mode/position ... if there is a GM that thinks that way, they are delusional.

Giroux and Jake will be on the backside of their career when this team is maxing out. That's a fact of life, and you cannot force it to be otherwise with rookie wishcasting. Nolan Patrick (or someone else) will be the best forward on this team if we win a Cup in the near future, not Giroux or Jake.

Sending the rookies down today does not mean they will not play major roles this year. But what it does do is preserve roster flexibility a bit longer, and allow them to truly force your hand.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #83 by FlyHigh » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:02 pm

If they are good enough to play, then they're good enough. It's also not like these guys were just drafted or haven't played against pros before. They're not going to win a Cup this year, but I think they should be viewing the next couple years as a legitimate target and should try to start making concrete improvements now rather than running out AMac on the top pairing, letting Weise/Flip anchor a crappy third line, and saying "maybe we'll do better next year."

What does "preserve roster flexibility a bit longer" mean? That's a comforting phrase, but what concrete benefit are we deriving from it? Do you think a team is going to deal a 2nd/3rd for Matt Read in 4 months when he's been the team's 12-13 forward? Or Lehtera?

Also, out of curiosity, you seem to take it as a given that someone will get hurt and that Sanheim will play a major role this year. If you believe that, why not have him in the lineup from the jump? Can anyone make a straight-faced argument that AMac is better than Sanheim now, but that if Sanheim plays 10 AHL games and waits for a spot, he will automatically be ready to jump in?
jester
Registered Broad

Post #84 by jester » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:11 pm

Fine. The world is ending. Just like it was when they cut Giroux ... just like it was when they cut Ghost ...

FlyHigh, the decision tonight will have *zero* effect on the long term prospects of these players and the team. The AHL is not a career destroying cesspool. And I honestly believe there is good logic to not breaking in too many rookies at once. All of these guys will play many games this year, most likely. It'll be okay.

Wins and losses are irrelevant this year.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #85 by FlyHigh » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:05 pm

...nobody said the world was ending bud.

Would be quite disappointed if the org shared the philosophy in your last sentence.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #86 by JLHockeyKnight » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:37 pm

jester wrote:Fine. The world is ending. Just like it was when they cut Giroux ... just like it was when they cut Ghost ...

FlyHigh, the decision tonight will have *zero* effect on the long term prospects of these players and the team. The AHL is not a career destroying cesspool. And I honestly believe there is good logic to not breaking in too many rookies at once. All of these guys will play many games this year, most likely. It'll be okay.

Wins and losses are irrelevant this year.

I actually am fine with Lindblom in the AHL. A lot of people have the AHL on par with the SHL, but is a different size rink. This will give him time to adjust at a skill level he is accustomed to. Once someone gets injured, I'm sure he will be the first one up.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #87 by Rogers Pancreas » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:41 pm

I'm not okay with Lindblom in the AHL, because there are zero better options on this roster right now, and he's proven he can hang.

The only prospect there was a question about, IMO, was and is Sanheim. And whether or not he starts in the AHL, it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of it all. He knows he's facing a numbers game, and that he'll get his chance. Besides, Myers and Freidman are going to need more time in the minors than I think any of us were anticipating. If they can assume an immediate and diminished role in Lehigh Valley, it might actually help them long-term. Let Sanheim do the heavy-lifting, with that piece of shit Brennan playing the minor-league role of AMAC.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #88 by CantSeeColors » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:51 pm

Riddle me this: if not AMac, who should play on the top pair with Provorov? Are you throwing a rookie out there with him? I'm not. Are you putting Ghost out there rather than giving him favorable matchups and zone starts to put him in a position to generate offense? Are you putting Gudas with him and leaving the second pairing without an anchor? AMac is literally just a warm body.

As for whether anyone can make the argument that AMac is better than Sanheim right now, that's not really the point. The point is putting Sanheim, Morin, and Hagg in positions right now to make them the best players they can be 2-3 years from now. I don't think putting any of them on the first pairing on night one is the way to do that (but, like I said, it wouldn't surprise me to see the pairing shuffle 20 games in if Hagg or Morin look settled).
jester
Registered Broad

Post #89 by jester » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:25 pm

FlyHigh wrote:...nobody said the world was ending bud.

Would be quite disappointed if the org shared the philosophy in your last sentence.

Well, you're writing long posts complaining about roster cut decisions that may be rendered moot by ... the end of October due to call ups.

And, why? Hextall very clearly has put W/L on the backburner the last couple of years. They're not tanking, but neither are they a priority. If they win games and make the playoffs ... great. If they don't ... whatever. THAT should be their attitude, because their record means fuck all to whether we get to see a championship caliber team in the near future. The ONLY thing that matters this year is prospect development. And, on that front, you're getting into the weeds of an entirely subjective debate when it comes to too-conservative or not-conservative-enough. And, moreover, a debate where in the end it is impossible to determine who was right. You just care that it works out.

I mean, really, does Ryan Howard wallowing behind Thome really bother you these days, or do you enjoy the run of really good Phillies teams?
jester
Registered Broad

Post #90 by jester » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:29 pm

JLHockeyKnight wrote:I actually am fine with Lindblom in the AHL. A lot of people have the AHL on par with the SHL, but is a different size rink. This will give him time to adjust at a skill level he is accustomed to. Once someone gets injured, I'm sure he will be the first one up.

Lindblom is on this team if the Flyers don't win the Patrick pick in the lottery. That set off a chain reaction, which got us to this point. I'll be shocked if he doesn't appear and play in a significant number of games, though. And I am fully in agreement that it isn't the worst thing in the world for him to acclimate to NA a little bit, either.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #91 by jester » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:33 pm

Rogers Pancreas wrote:I'm not okay with Lindblom in the AHL, because there are zero better options on this roster right now, and he's proven he can hang.

The only prospect there was a question about, IMO, was and is Sanheim. And whether or not he starts in the AHL, it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of it all. He knows he's facing a numbers game, and that he'll get his chance. Besides, Myers and Freidman are going to need more time in the minors than I think any of us were anticipating. If they can assume an immediate and diminished role in Lehigh Valley, it might actually help them long-term. Let Sanheim do the heavy-lifting, with that piece of shit Brennan playing the minor-league role of AMAC.

I think he'll be here ... the worst case scenario that everyone needs to pay more attention to here is if they scratch a rookie for Game 1. None of these guys should be on the roster if they're sitting in the press box.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #92 by FlyHigh » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:58 pm

CantSeeColors wrote:Riddle me this: if not AMac, who should play on the top pair with Provorov? Are you throwing a rookie out there with him? I'm not. Are you putting Ghost out there rather than giving him favorable matchups and zone starts to put him in a position to generate offense? Are you putting Gudas with him and leaving the second pairing without an anchor? AMac is literally just a warm body.

As for whether anyone can make the argument that AMac is better than Sanheim right now, that's not really the point. The point is putting Sanheim, Morin, and Hagg in positions right now to make them the best players they can be 2-3 years from now. I don't think putting any of them on the first pairing on night one is the way to do that (but, like I said, it wouldn't surprise me to see the pairing shuffle 20 games in if Hagg or Morin look settled).

Your last sentence is why Hagg/Morin should have been in the NHL last year for the 2nd half incidentally. Something that was dumb at the time and continues to be dumb.

I honestly would keep all 3 on the roster to start though based on AHL performances and preseason experience. I think you guys are somewhat overrating the load on a 1st pairing vs. a 2nd pairing. Fine, you shelter Hagg/Morin on the 2nd pairing with Gudas. They're still going to be playing Kuznetsov/Malkin/Staal/Barzal/Atkinson etc. Also, the skill gap in the NHL isn't nearly as big as in a league like the NBA. 2nd and 3rd line NHLers are still really freaking good. And we don't control matchups in away games...

Look, ultimately, this stuff is somewhat small beans. But when you don't have a generational superstar, you have to get the small stuff right. We have at least 14-15 capable NHL forwards in the system and somehow we're going into the season with a 3rd line consisting of two below average play drivers and a 2nd year player who should be with some guys with actual shooting/scoring talent, The fact that everyone in the org appears to be fine with this kind of worries me.

At some point, it is what it is, no point losing sleep over it.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #93 by jester » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:11 pm

But how are they getting the small stuff wrong ... and what is the cost of getting it "wrong" if by wrong you mean they are simply being too conservative in bringing up rookies to the big team.

Honestly, what is the actual cost of a guy playing "too long" in the AHL? The team is not as good as it might be? They're a fringe playoff team this year most likely regardless of those rookies.
MiD
Registered Broad
Received rep: 7 times

Post #94 by MiD » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:03 am

If wins and losses are really irrelevant this year they should play 3 rookies on D. I can live with rookie's mistakes and watch as they adapt to the league. What is the point of watching same shit by AMAC for another season?
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #95 by FlyHigh » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:35 am

I think there's a broad assumption that they are just playing AMac, played VdV and PEB, signed Neuvirth to a way above-market deal, signed Weise to a way above-market deal and are throwing one of our more promising young players into a bad situation (can't wait till Konecny is blamed for the Weise-Flip-Konecny experiment not working out) because they are just biding time and "who cares, we're not supposed to win yet anyways."

The scarier assumption, and one that I think is at least partially accurate, is that they think these guys are good and that these are smart decisions. I mean, Hextall literally said last night that Lindblom was sent down, despite doing all of the small things right, because he didn't score any goals in the 2-3 preseason games he spent on Giroux's wing (despite otherwise playing quite well). If that's true....yikes.

The longer this team refuses to ice the best version of its lineup (going on 2+ years at this point), the more difficult it becomes to explain.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #96 by jester » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:17 am

MiD wrote:If wins and losses are really irrelevant this year they should play 3 rookies on D. I can live with rookie's mistakes and watch as they adapt to the league. What is the point of watching same shit by AMAC for another season?

Not if they think they will benefit more from being in the AHL.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #97 by jester » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:20 am

FlyHigh wrote:The longer this team refuses to ice the best version of its lineup (going on 2+ years at this point), the more difficult it becomes to explain.

The last 2+ years have been the most methodical and rational Flyers management decisions of all of our lives. Moreover, much like the Sixers, they have operated just as they *explicitly* said they would. You may not like all their decisions, but they are all subjective decisions. There is literally no aspect of this that is hard to explain.
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1394 times
Received rep: 651 times

Post #98 by vonbonds » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:36 am

MiD wrote:If wins and losses are really irrelevant this year they should play 3 rookies on D. I can live with rookie's mistakes and watch as they adapt to the league. What is the point of watching same shit by AMAC for another season?

Teams worry about young platers learning bad habits and being sloppy when overwhelmed. I assume they'll stagger how they introduce all of your defensive prospects into the NHL lineup with that in mind.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #99 by jester » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:43 am

vonbonds wrote:

Teams worry about young platers learning bad habits and being sloppy when overwhelmed. I assume they'll stagger how they introduce all of your defensive prospects into the NHL lineup with that in mind.

Yeah, we had two rookies last year, four (maybe 5) will be on the opening night roster, and will almost certainly see 2+ more get a good number of games this year.

There are flaws with the argument that they are holding these guys back just because.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #100 by FlyHigh » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:27 pm

jester wrote:
vonbonds wrote:

Yeah, we had two rookies last year, four (maybe 5) will be on the opening night roster, and will almost certainly see 2+ more get a good number of games this year.

There are flaws with the argument that they are holding these guys back just because.

Nobody is saying that.

Literally from my post a few hours ago: "The scarier assumption, and one that I think is at least partially accurate, is that they think these guys are good and that these are smart decisions."

No need to bring straw men to the party.

Return to “The Eric Wellwood Memorial Forum”