now with even more memorial.
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 18 times
Received rep: 13 times

Re: 0.00% Effort Game Day Thread.

Post #1401 by Kilgore Trout » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:49 pm

CantSeeColors wrote:We could use more palindromes on the team imo

Not if it means Lupul floating around, not engaging the play. Fuck palindromes.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 17 times

Post #1402 by Hovercraft » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:48 pm

Wtf is happening this game? I haven't watched any but somehow we're up 5-0 after 1. Apparently Weise got the fastest Goudie Howe hat trick in history.
Rogers Pancreas
Has given rep: 20 times
Received rep: 50 times

Post #1403 by Rogers Pancreas » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:00 pm

And apparently Couturier has decided he's a fucking cyborg on a mission. Awesome.
His Satanic Majestic Request
Rogers Pancreas

Post #1404 by Rogers Pancreas » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:27 pm

In his last 10 games, he's scored 3 goals, picked up 8 assists, has a +13 rating, and has a 0.58 FOW percentage.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 28 times
Received rep: 9 times

Post #1405 by GoneFullHextall » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:07 am

watching the highlights.
yikes, there was some serious breakdowns for the Isles in that first period. Good on the Flyers for taken advantage.
When was the last time there were 2 Gordie Howes in one period for the Flyers?
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #1406 by Hovercraft » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:23 am

Rogers Pancreas wrote:In his last 10 games, he's scored 3 goals, picked up 8 assists, has a +13 rating, and has a 0.58 FOW percentage.

It shouldn't have taken Hak 70 games to put him and Schenn together again.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 33 times
Received rep: 21 times

Post #1407 by CantSeeColors » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:53 am

Rogers Pancreas wrote:In his last 10 games, he's scored 3 goals, picked up 8 assists, has a +13 rating, and has a 0.58 FOW percentage.

Not that we put too much stock in the stat, but he's also +10 on a team that only has one other guy above +3 and five guys at -15 or worse.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad
Received rep: 24 times

Post #1408 by DeadPhish » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:53 am

GoneFullHextall wrote:When was the last time there were 2 Gordie Howes in one period for the Flyers?

I think they said 1998 and Tocchet was involved. But that might have been one game, not sure in one period.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 4 times
Received rep: 12 times

Post #1409 by FlyHigh » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:59 am

Hovercraft wrote:

The Weal thing is also mildly concerning. Guy seems to be a solid, play-driving winger with at least decent scoring touch and they didn't give him an NHL chance for 18 months because....he's small? Skilled?

Nice to see us winning games though I guess it kills our pick.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #1410 by Hovercraft » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:32 am

It definitely took them too long to try Weal at wing. He's out producing Read/Raffl/Weise/etc in P/G but he is shooting at 17% right now. That said him and Simmonds seem to be developing good chemistry. Defenders often seem to double up on Wayne leaving Weal with lots of time and space. He kinda reminds of Briere in the way he's a small guy who seems to score most of his goals very close to the crease.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the forward core next year. Lindblom seems to be having an amazing 20 year old season in the SHL, can he make the jump right to the NHL? Do we even have room for another forward? I guess it will depend on the expansion draft realistically.
chaosof99
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 15 times

Post #1411 by chaosof99 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:43 am

Flyers have signed Hobey Baker finalist Mike Vecchione!
Hopefully he will be better than Jimmy "26 points" Vesey.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #1412 by Hovercraft » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:49 am

chaosof99 wrote:Flyers have signed Hobey Baker finalist Mike Vecchione!
Hopefully he will be better than Jimmy "26 points" Vesey.

Nice Ghost's recruiting helped. What's wrong with Vesey? He has definitely hit a rookie wall late in season but he's still a solid young player.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #1413 by chaosof99 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:14 am

Hovercraft wrote:What's wrong with Vesey? He has definitely hit a rookie wall late in season but he's still a solid young player.

I'm kind of kidding of course. 26 points isn't really bad and he is 20th among rookies this season. However, considering all the hype that surrounded him and his refusal to play for either the Predators or the Sabres it is definitely below expectations. Just consider that Read scored 47 in his rookie year coming out of college.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #1414 by FlyHigh » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:27 am

I'm assuming Vecchione will probably get a roster spot next year then? He's 24 already so don't think he'd be thrilled to spend time in the AHL. They're going to have to make a lot of moves in the bottom-six next year. Say your top-6 is Giroux/Voracek/Simmonds/Couturier/Schenn/Konecny.

Your bottom-6 you have: Filppula/Weal/Read/PEB/Vecchione/Raffl/Cousins/Weise/Leier/Laughton.

That's 10 guys competing for 6 spots.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #1415 by CantSeeColors » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:38 am

FlyHigh wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:

The Weal thing is also mildly concerning. Guy seems to be a solid, play-driving winger with at least decent scoring touch and they didn't give him an NHL chance for 18 months because....he's small? Skilled?

Because when he played last year he wasn't a solid, play-driving player at all.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #1416 by CantSeeColors » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:40 am

FlyHigh wrote:I'm assuming Vecchione will probably get a roster spot next year then? He's 24 already so don't think he'd be thrilled to spend time in the AHL. They're going to have to make a lot of moves in the bottom-six next year. Say your top-6 is Giroux/Voracek/Simmonds/Couturier/Schenn/Konecny.

Your bottom-6 you have: Filppula/Weal/Read/PEB/Vecchione/Raffl/Cousins/Weise/Leier/Laughton.

One of them likely goes to Vegas, two of Leier, Laughton, and Cousins go to LV, and whoever else is left is your healthy scratch. Looks like it's going to be status quo, to me (which is honestly fine, considering how much Filppula and Weal seem to have solidified the middle six).
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #1417 by Hovercraft » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:12 pm

I wouldn't bet on Vecchione starting in the NHL. I think Lindblom is more likely than him. We'll see if Vecchione joins the Flyers or Phantoms this week.

And unless Hextall pulls some sort of Amac Miracle, I think one of Read/Laughton/etc will go to Vegas. I guess Neuvirth has a shot too.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 56 times

Post #1418 by JLHockeyKnight » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:51 pm

Hovercraft wrote:I wouldn't bet on Vecchione starting in the NHL. I think Lindblom is more likely than him. We'll see if Vecchione joins the Flyers or Phantoms this week.

And unless Hextall pulls some sort of Amac Miracle, I think one of Read/Laughton/etc will go to Vegas. I guess Neuvirth has a shot too.

At this point, I'd be happy with sending him to the Phantoms and have him try to help them through the playoffs. God knows he'll gain/learn a lot more in the AHL playoffs than in the last 5 NHL games.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #1419 by FlyHigh » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:55 pm

CantSeeColors wrote:
FlyHigh wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:

Because when he played last year he wasn't a solid, play-driving player at all.

He played 4 games here and his most common linemate was RJ Umberger. What exactly are you expecting out of that? Sean Couturier is the best play-driver on the roster and he couldn't make Umberger good. He never got a legitimate chance; that's the point.

CantSeeColors wrote:
FlyHigh wrote:I'm assuming Vecchione will probably get a roster spot next year then? He's 24 already so don't think he'd be thrilled to spend time in the AHL. They're going to have to make a lot of moves in the bottom-six next year. Say your top-6 is Giroux/Voracek/Simmonds/Couturier/Schenn/Konecny.

One of them likely goes to Vegas, two of Leier, Laughton, and Cousins go to LV, and whoever else is left is your healthy scratch. Looks like it's going to be status quo, to me (which is honestly fine, considering how much Filppula and Weal seem to have solidified the middle six).

There's a non-negligible chance that Vegas doesn't pick anyone on the team. Personally think it'd be a waste to put Leier/Laughton/Cousins all in the AHL. Cousins and Laughton are clearly NHLers on some level, less clear on Leier but, like Weal, I think he deserves at least a legitimate shot after getting better each season he's been in the AHL. I wonder if they will try to send a sweetener with the Read contract and dump it on Vegas.

Guess they could also just let Weal walk in UFA.

@ Hover, seemed like Vecchione had at least some leverage, I'd be mildly surprised if he didn't sign here without at least some kind of NHL guarantee.
MiD
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 24 times
Received rep: 6 times

Post #1420 by MiD » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:55 pm

Read is done for season and Flyers probably promised Vecchione game this season to burn one year, do I think he will play
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #1421 by CantSeeColors » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:18 pm

FlyHigh wrote:
CantSeeColors wrote:There's a non-negligible chance that Vegas doesn't pick anyone on the team. Personally think it'd be a waste to put Leier/Laughton/Cousins all in the AHL. Cousins and Laughton are clearly NHLers on some level, less clear on Leier but, like Weal, I think he deserves at least a legitimate shot after getting better each season he's been in the AHL. I wonder if they will try to send a sweetener with the Read contract and dump it on Vegas.

They literally have to pick someone from every team.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #1422 by FlyHigh » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:10 pm

CantSeeColors wrote:
FlyHigh wrote:
CantSeeColors wrote:There's a non-negligible chance that Vegas doesn't pick anyone on the team. Personally think it'd be a waste to put Leier/Laughton/Cousins all in the AHL. Cousins and Laughton are clearly NHLers on some level, less clear on Leier but, like Weal, I think he deserves at least a legitimate shot after getting better each season he's been in the AHL. I wonder if they will try to send a sweetener with the Read contract and dump it on Vegas.

They literally have to pick someone from every team.

Ah for some reason I thought they only picked an NHL roster (23), guess that'd be unfair though. Still, 9 guys for 6 spots, will be interesting to see what they do.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad

Post #1423 by DeadPhish » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:58 pm

MiD wrote:Read is done for season and Flyers probably promised Vecchione game this season to burn one year, do I think he will play

Fairly sure i saw a quote from Hextall saying Vecchione would play this year, just not Saturday.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #1424 by Rogers Pancreas » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:04 pm

Hovercraft wrote:It definitely took them too long to try Weal at wing. He's out producing Read/Raffl/Weise/etc in P/G but he is shooting at 17% right now. That said him and Simmonds seem to be developing good chemistry. Defenders often seem to double up on Wayne leaving Weal with lots of time and space. He kinda reminds of Briere in the way he's a small guy who seems to score most of his goals very close to the crease.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the forward core next year. Lindblom seems to be having an amazing 20 year old season in the SHL, can he make the jump right to the NHL? Do we even have room for another forward? I guess it will depend on the expansion draft realistically.

With just six forwards finishing with 20 or more points this season, this team has plenty of room for improvement at forward. It's just a matter of moving bodies out and about. Or, Hextall can go into next season loaded, and let the expansion draft, and waivers thin out the roster. May the best men win.

What's got me really interested about Lindblom now is this development where he's apparently really fucking good on the draw. We know what we have in Giroux. We know what we have in Couturier. And we know that Fillpula's on the way out the door as early as next season. This team desperately needs another legitimate top-six center going forward if we're going to compete for the Cup, and it would be OUTSTANDING if Lindblom managed to make that transition the same way Giroux did out of Gatineau.

I'd say this congestion's accidental, but our GM is Hextall.

Filppula, Read, PEB, Raffl, Vandevelde, and Weise are largely overpaid for what they do, and they are all going to be unrestricted within a season or two. Cousins, Leier, Weal, and Laughton have all proven to at least be competent in spurts, and are all restricted, but every one of them will also have to clear waivers if they're not on the roster come opening night. And then we have guys like Vecchione and Lindblom that are total wild-cards. They won't have to clear waivers, which makes Hextall's job easier, but they also might come into camp NHL-ready, and steal a spot away from one of those TEN other players.

It's a good spot to be in actually.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #1425 by chaosof99 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:18 pm

Vecchione will wear #74 making him the first Flyer to do so. Also Colin McDonald was recalled because Matt Read is out for the rest of the season with a broken arm. And thank fucking god that the "Vandevelde signed to multi-year extension" are just April Fools jokes.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad

Post #1426 by GoneFullHextall » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:25 pm

DeadPhish wrote:
MiD wrote:Read is done for season and Flyers probably promised Vecchione game this season to burn one year, do I think he will play

Fairly sure i saw a quote from Hextall saying Vecchione would play this year, just not Saturday.

probably once the Flyers are officially eliminated from playoff contention. which could be as early as tonight.
jester
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 8 times
Received rep: 74 times

Post #1427 by jester » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:26 pm

... holy fuck that was weird.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #1428 by Rogers Pancreas » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:45 pm

I don't think Stolie was counting on starting for the Flyers today.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #1429 by Rogers Pancreas » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:59 pm

Queue the Price is Right fail track.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #1430 by Hovercraft » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:34 pm

Hopefully Neuvirth is okay. That was scary.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #1431 by chaosof99 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:14 am

Just got up and saw the news. Well shit. Hopefully Neuvirth is okay.

Not sure what to make of the win either. I mean it's great that Stolie completed the shutout, but the playoff hopes are slim and Boston and Toronto both won. It would have been better long term if they had lost but I could never bring myself to actively root against the team, especially not against the Devils.
chaosof99
Registered Broad

Post #1432 by chaosof99 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:01 pm

Neuvirth was released from the hospital. This is good news.
Sweet Dee
Registered Broad
Received rep: 16 times

Post #1433 by Sweet Dee » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:05 pm

That was so scary to watch last night :(
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #1434 by FlyHigh » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:11 pm

Damn, 2nd unit PP apparently has 1 goal in its last 57 games? Yikes.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad

Post #1435 by DeadPhish » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:44 pm

And with that 4th goal the season is officially over.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #1436 by Rogers Pancreas » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:54 pm

Shit. Everett's in their fifth OT.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #1437 by FlyHigh » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:13 am

AMac and Manning both had bangers last night, was like a "who can screw up more?" contest.

At least Everett won last night, Hart was apparently 64 of 66 on shots.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad

Post #1438 by GoneFullHextall » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:49 am

nothing can top the way Manning played defense on the Smith goal. he made a guy with very limited skill look like a first line winger.
MiD
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 24 times
Received rep: 6 times

Post #1439 by MiD » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:58 am

GoneFullHextall wrote:nothing can top the way Manning played defense on the Smith goal. he made a guy with very limited skill look like a first line winger.
I don't know. Going after smallest guy on the ice and ending on belly to watch goal scored was awesome too.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad

Post #1440 by GoneFullHextall » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:37 pm

MiD wrote:
GoneFullHextall wrote:nothing can top the way Manning played defense on the Smith goal. he made a guy with very limited skill look like a first line winger.
I don't know. Going after smallest guy on the ice and ending on belly to watch goal scored was awesome too.

there sure was some bad defense on display last night from both teams at times. Flip being left all alone on the first Flyers goal, and the Rangers took a nap in the final 2 minutes. Thought for sure the Flyers were going to tie it with the late PP chance.
This season cannot end soon enough tho. This team really could use a different look in many areas because I just don't know if the Flyers can win with this current core(talking about the veterans)
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #1441 by Hovercraft » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:44 pm

Morin and Vecchione are playing for the Flyers tonight apparently
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #1442 by FlyHigh » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:15 pm

Holy crap they scratched Vandevelde too; looking outside for flying pigs.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #1443 by CantSeeColors » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:06 pm

Morin?! I hope this doesn't disqualify him for AHL playoffs. I have no idea what the rules for that are. I might actually tune in tongiht, though.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #1444 by Rogers Pancreas » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:35 pm

FUCK.

YES.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #1445 by Hovercraft » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:43 pm

CantSeeColors wrote:Morin?! I hope this doesn't disqualify him for AHL playoffs. I have no idea what the rules for that are. I might actually tune in tongiht, though.

I don't think it has any affect on his AHL playoffs. He was there for the clear date.
Sweet Dee
Registered Broad
Received rep: 16 times

Post #1446 by Sweet Dee » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:52 pm

Stupid Flyers, I wanted to watch Rogue One but nooo someone has to watch a meaningless game :-P
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #1447 by Hovercraft » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:54 pm

FlyHigh wrote:Holy crap they scratched Vandevelde too; looking outside for flying pigs.

Weal got the flu so VDV is back in.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #1448 by FlyHigh » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:11 pm

Unbelievable.
Rogers Pancreas