the tendon-cy to retire is natural.
now with even more memorial.
dbr
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 19 times
Received rep: 3 times

Re: 0.00% Effort Game Day Thread.

Post #1301 by dbr » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:04 pm

If the season wasn't over now, it is now.
Rogers Pancreas
Has given rep: 34 times
Received rep: 85 times

Post #1302 by Rogers Pancreas » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:36 pm

This team has 17 goals (through 70 games) from VandeVelde, Bellemare, Lyubimov, Gordon, and Weise.

There are 96 players in this league that have scored that many THEMSELVES before tonight.

The best teams in the league have 10 or more 10 goal scorers. We have 6. FUCKING. 6.

Fucking pathetic.
His Satanic Majestic Request
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 20 times

Post #1303 by FlyHigh » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:47 pm

That escalated quickly, yikes. Also had a random thought, I bet the Flyers protect MacDonald for expansion and that they signed Manning for 2 years so that they can use him to fulfill their exposure requirements; can't wait for the meltdown over that one. That plus resigning VdV would be fun. Already halfway there with the Neuvirth/PEB extensions.
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1546 times
Received rep: 715 times

Post #1304 by vonbonds » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:50 pm

How dare you park your tank on top of our tank!
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 28 times
Received rep: 51 times

Post #1305 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:51 pm

Remember when we had like 7 20+ goal scorers that one year and I think Upshall had like 17, good times.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 43 times
Received rep: 11 times

Post #1306 by GoneFullHextall » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:45 am

I want 2 new goalies next year.
I am done with both of them.
fire the entire coaching staff as well.
they are really going to have to take a good hard look at the core of this team and figure out if it is good enough. 1 playoff series win in 6 years.
unless you want to chalk it up to shit bad luck again. fuck that goddamn noise.
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 28 times
Received rep: 51 times

Post #1307 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:05 am

The core doesn't work, but the new core being the defenders and young goalies may. We still lack NHL players in the bot 6 and half the Dmen.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 30 times

Post #1308 by DeadPhish » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:03 am

DeadPhish wrote:Backup goalie = guaranteed loss.

:trump:
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 44 times
Received rep: 32 times

Post #1309 by CantSeeColors » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:17 am

FlyHigh wrote:That escalated quickly, yikes. Also had a random thought, I bet the Flyers protect MacDonald for expansion and that they signed Manning for 2 years so that they can use him to fulfill their exposure requirements; can't wait for the meltdown over that one. That plus resigning VdV would be fun. Already halfway there with the Neuvirth/PEB extensions.

If hextall wanted to bring VDV back, he'd have done it already. He's got a really strong track record, and he's not going to make these two mistakes

What really amuses me is that the people freaking out the most now are the same ones who defended the Richards and carter trades. This is the core you got out of those trades, and this is exactly what was obviously going to happen when you hitch your wagons to a forward core that was too young to compete before the defense you had then retired
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #1310 by FlyHigh » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:57 am

Eh I think that's pretty harsh, that 11-12 team was really good and I'd be curious to see what would have happened if they had had Pronger for the playoff run that year. Also 3 of the 4 major pieces from those trades (Schenn exempted) have been core pieces here pretty much since Day 1. 12-13 the bottom fell out a bit, but I think it's important to remember that A) Pronger injury screwed things up and B) the goaltending they got that year was horrific, possibly worse than this year.

I do increasingly think they'll protect AMac. They apparently see him as a solid No.3 guy and 5 mill isn't a ton to pay for a No.3 these days.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #1311 by CantSeeColors » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:50 pm

FlyHigh wrote:Eh I think that's pretty harsh, that 11-12 team was really good and I'd be curious to see what would have happened if they had had Pronger for the playoff run that year. Also 3 of the 4 major pieces from those trades (Schenn exempted) have been core pieces here pretty much since Day 1. 12-13 the bottom fell out a bit, but I think it's important to remember that A) Pronger injury screwed things up and B) the goaltending they got that year was horrific, possibly worse than this year.

I do increasingly think they'll protect AMac. They apparently see him as a solid No.3 guy and 5 mill isn't a ton to pay for a No.3 these days.

And look where that's gotten them. If they were going to rebuild around 20-22 year old forwards at that time, they needed to move on from Pronger and Timonen too. The fact that you can only point to one good year following that significant a trade is pretty telling, imo.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #1312 by FlyHigh » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:59 pm

Eh, they also had an older Briere and signed Jagr. I mean, I'm sure that "cultural" considerations played a role, but I think that they thought that those trades (plus the insane Bryz contract) would help propel them into remaining contenders for a couple of years before Pronger and Kimmo started to decline in earnest.

I dunno, Holmgren deserves a ton of criticism for various moves over the years, but I don't really hold those trades against him in hindsight (outside of screwing Carter over pretty hard cause he had taken a big discount on that deal). I mean, if those moves hadn't happened, are the 2011-2015 Flyers really any better off? I also think that you have to give him some slack for the Pronger injury. I mean, in June 2011, he had been banged up in 2010-11, but in 2010 he was one of the 3 or 4 best defensemen in the league and there hadn't been much sign of decline; certainly no indication that his career would abruptly end in November 2011.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 29 times

Post #1313 by Hovercraft » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:08 pm

Yeah I have no problem with those deals. Simmonds, Voracek and Couturier are all have pretty unique skillsets. Holmgren also tried the Weber offer sheet to fill the Pronger void too.
jester
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 95 times

Post #1314 by jester » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:04 am

In a vacuum, the deals were not all that bad. The context of how it came to that was moronic, and, as noted, the roster was poorly setup in a halfway house between rebuild and win now.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #1315 by FlyHigh » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:26 am

You had Voracek/Giroux/Simmonds/JVR entering prime years (Simmonds had 28 goals that year), Hartnell in his prime, Jagr, Briere at the tail end, etc. Schenn was also supposedly the "world's best player not in the NHL" (the Jiri Dopita Memorial Award) at that point. I think it's a bit disingenuous to portray those deals as some kind of big rebuild, I think they just wanted to pivot away from Carter/Richards as the forward core for whatever reason.

Also, who knows exactly how much they knew/predicted about the Richards decline that was coming, but from a cold-blooded asset management standpoint, Holmgren deserves some credit for selling right at the peak of his value.

In any case, plenty of other sticks that we can all agree to use to beat Holmgren with.
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad
Received rep: 15 times

Post #1316 by Kilgore Trout » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:50 am

jester wrote:In a vacuum, the deals were not all that bad. The context of how it came to that was moronic, and, as noted, the roster was poorly setup in a halfway house between rebuild and win now.

I mean, in retrospect, just getting something for Ritchie moments before the bottom fell out on his career was pretty fortuitous.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #1317 by jester » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:17 pm

Kilgore Trout wrote:I mean, in retrospect, just getting something for Ritchie moments before the bottom fell out on his career was pretty fortuitous.

This is true, but I suspect the organization mismanaged shit in advance of that which contributed to it ... also, he actually started out quite well in LA and then had some concussions as I recall and was never quite the same (not the first). So, there's a lot there. In the process, however, they also jettisoned Carter as he was becoming a much better overall player.

That being said, my larger problem is that the organization allowed a toxic situation to develop largely due to poor personality management.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #1318 by Rogers Pancreas » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:39 pm

jester wrote:In a vacuum, the deals were not all that bad. The context of how it came to that was moronic, and, as noted, the roster was poorly setup in a halfway house between rebuild and win now.

That Bryz contract was the WTF moment that kicked it all off.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 43 times
Received rep: 11 times

Post #1319 by GoneFullHextall » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:31 pm

Hovercraft wrote:Yeah I have no problem with those deals. Simmonds, Voracek and Couturier are all have pretty unique skillsets. Holmgren also tried the Weber offer sheet to fill the Pronger void too.

looking at the prospects that the Flyers have acquired since Nashville matched that OS, it is pretty clear we all should be thankful the Preds matched.
dbr
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 19 times
Received rep: 3 times

Post #1320 by dbr » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:43 pm

Imagine if we had held onto Richards and Carter. I can't imagine us having any of the prospects we currently have. Holmgren would still be here. Lavi would be gone by now.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 82 times
Received rep: 36 times

Post #1321 by JLHockeyKnight » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:35 pm

jester wrote:
Kilgore Trout wrote:I mean, in retrospect, just getting something for Ritchie moments before the bottom fell out on his career was pretty fortuitous.

This is true, but I suspect the organization mismanaged shit in advance of that which contributed to it ... also, he actually started out quite well in LA and then had some concussions as I recall and was never quite the same (not the first). So, there's a lot there. In the process, however, they also jettisoned Carter as he was becoming a much better overall player.

That being said, my larger problem is that the organization allowed a toxic situation to develop largely due to poor personality management.

Richards was a heavy drinker (obvious by all the photos that appears online) and apparently he dogged it at practice. Mix that with the physical nature of his play, and the signs were all there. From the six degrees from my buddy through the media to the Flyers organization, I was told Flyers management felt he was gonna bottom out around 30, so the Flyers bailed.

I'm sure the concussions didn't help, but I still think he wasn't going to make it far into his 30's still playing the way he did when he was younger, and with that contract...woo.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #1322 by JLHockeyKnight » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:39 pm

Rogers Pancreas wrote:

That Bryz contract was the WTF moment that kicked it all off.

That one killed me when it happened. I was pretty excited and high on Bob and was like "we have a potentially all star goalie developing" then Bryz comes along and I knew Bob was gone. It's amazing how many solid to great players over the past 20 years have been drafted by the Flyers but jettisoned early in their career without being given much of a chance. I've always felt the Flyers have some of the best scouts and really know how to draft...we just don't know how to use the players when we get them. It's like being born with a 12 inch cock and being celibate. I'm really hoping Hextall turns the tide on that trend...time will tell.
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad

Post #1323 by Kilgore Trout » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:41 pm

JLHockeyKnight wrote:Richards was a heavy drinker (obvious by all the photos that appears online) and apparently he dogged it at practice. Mix that with the physical nature of his play, and the signs were all there. From the six degrees from my buddy through the media to the Flyers organization, I was told Flyers management felt he was gotten bottom out around 30, so the Flyers bailed.

Yep, while "dry island" and all that was a little silly, I think its pretty clear the organization saw the cliff coming and bailed on Richards at the right time.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #1324 by jester » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:15 pm

JLHockeyKnight wrote:
jester wrote:

Richards was a heavy drinker (obvious by all the photos that appears online) and apparently he dogged it at practice. Mix that with the physical nature of his play, and the signs were all there. From the six degrees from my buddy through the media to the Flyers organization, I was told Flyers management felt he was gonna bottom out around 30, so the Flyers bailed.

I'm sure the concussions didn't help, but I still think he wasn't going to make it far into his 30's still playing the way he did when he was younger, and with that contract...woo.

I'm not sure one can do casually conflate stuff on social media to heavy drinking ... though, obviously the organization felt there was a problem there (no doubt, Holmgren's understandable biases as a recovered alcoholic are pertinent here). That being said, Richards was not on some island with his drinking, and I find it difficult to believe it was that bad given the level he played at.

Additionally, as you note, there was his style of play. He was a smaller dude, less athletic than the majority of the NHL, and played as hard a game as he could. This leads into the next problem with Richards ... painkillers. Again, he is far from alone as a professional athlete to develop a painkiller problem (potentially). When did that start, and how did that impact his game?

All of this I would bring back to bad people management by the Flyers. They fed Richards' ego (the next Clarke), gave him the C very young, a huge contract, etc. How different are things if Knuble or Timonen gets named captain? Then you have the whole Lavi personality clash.
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad

Post #1325 by Kilgore Trout » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:38 pm

Oh man. Knuble should've been the Captain, I was so certain of that.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #1326 by jester » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:12 pm

Both he and Timonen we're obvious, non-marketing driven choices at the time. Team was just in a massive rush to anoint Richards.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #1327 by FlyHigh » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:31 pm

At least they didn't repeat that mistake with Gi.....oh, wait, they did.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #1328 by CantSeeColors » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:17 pm

Once again, timonen was the obvious choice over the small, possibly-plays-too-hard-for-his-body center, and they passed over him a second time
jester
Registered Broad

Post #1329 by jester » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:18 pm

At least Giroux is capable of handling the media responsibility.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #1330 by Hovercraft » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:55 am

I still feel like the C has been a bit of a burden for Giroux.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #1331 by Rogers Pancreas » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:55 pm

It absolutely is. With our dumb-fuck group of B-list bloggers disguised as journalists,Giroux's constantly being scrutinized for not netting 80/90 points. And for any forward that's used to scoring, you have to believe that brings additional pressure at a time when they're already pressing. It's not a good situation.
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad

Post #1332 by Kilgore Trout » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:37 pm

Rogers Pancreas wrote:It absolutely is. With our dumb-fuck group of B-list bloggers disguised as journalists,Giroux's constantly being scrutinized for not netting 80/90 points. And for any forward that's used to scoring, you have to believe that brings additional pressure at a time when they're already pressing. It's not a good situation.

Add on that it also means every mouth breather in the stands (and, lord knows, this fan base it made consists primarily of them) gets on him for the same reasons.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #1333 by CantSeeColors » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:15 pm

If only we had a 30 goal center also in the lineup to share the load. I dunno, maybe someone like Jeff carter
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #1334 by FlyHigh » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:57 pm

D-zone coverage has been horrific in this game, have lost track of how many times the Canes have just walked into open shots from the slot.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #1335 by CantSeeColors » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:06 am

FlyHigh wrote:D-zone coverage has been horrific in this game, have lost track of how many times the Canes have just walked into open shots from the slot.

What percentage of posts in this thread convey this exact thought? Seems like it's been the same shit every night with these guys
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #1336 by Hovercraft » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:05 pm

Got a party box booked for Phantoms @ Ice Caps tomorrow as a pre Birthday celebration. Hoping to get a good look at Sanheim and Co.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #1337 by FlyHigh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:51 pm

Nice one that sounds fun, hope it's a great game. BSH had an article a while ago about how difficult it was to get out to St. Johns, had no idea it was quite so far tbh, you guys are really way out there seems like.

CantSeeColors wrote:
FlyHigh wrote:D-zone coverage has been horrific in this game, have lost track of how many times the Canes have just walked into open shots from the slot.

What percentage of posts in this thread convey this exact thought? Seems like it's been the same shit every night with these guys

Yeah, dunno what it is, maybe once you're eliminated it's hard to keep the same level or something.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #1338 by Hovercraft » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:52 pm

Yeah we are very north east, and an island so winter travel especially is a hassle.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #1339 by jester » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:19 pm

FlyHigh wrote:Nice one that sounds fun, hope it's a great game. BSH had an article a while ago about how difficult it was to get out to St. Johns, had no idea it was quite so far tbh, you guys are really way out there seems like.

Yeah, I decided against applying for a job up there due to the remoteness. Would have ended in divorce.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #1340 by FlyHigh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:35 pm

What kind of job was it out of curiosity? Seems like kind of an odd spot to have job openings that would appeal to suburban Philadelphians (for a variety of reasons, certainly not casting aspersions on the area at all).
jester
Registered Broad

Post #1341 by jester » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:52 pm

FlyHigh wrote:What kind of job was it out of curiosity? Seems like kind of an odd spot to have job openings that would appeal to suburban Philadelphians (for a variety of reasons, certainly not casting aspersions on the area at all).

College prof., which you need to be real flexible on location for. That was a bridge too far. It wasn't even in St. John's. It was on the opposite side of Newfoundland. If it was in St John's I probably would have applied.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #1342 by CantSeeColors » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:57 pm

Hovercraft wrote:Yeah we are very north east, and an island so winter travel especially is a hassle.

Christ, I just looked at a map, you guys might as well be the North Pole.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #1343 by jester » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:07 pm

Yeah, folks generally don't register how far north some of these spots are. For example, Europe is much more northern than many realize.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #1344 by Hovercraft » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:31 pm

Was that Corner Brook Jester? Pretty beautiful part of the province, but even though it's the biggest "city" outside the St. John's area, it's only ~20k population and it's like a long 8 hour drive to St. John's. Our population density is crazy low, around half the province lives within an hour of the city.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #1345 by JLHockeyKnight » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:02 pm

jester wrote:Yeah, folks generally don't register how far north some of these spots are. For example, Europe is much more northern than many realize.

Holy crap this. Just off-hand you tend to think that where we are in the Philadelphia area, we're probably at about the same latitude as England. WRONG. More like we're at the same latitude as northern Portugal/Spain. England is up there.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #1346 by jester » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:09 pm

Hovercraft wrote:Was that Corner Brook Jester? Pretty beautiful part of the province, but even though it's the biggest "city" outside the St. John's area, it's only ~20k population and it's like a long 8 hour drive to St. John's. Our population density is crazy low, around half the province lives within an hour of the city.

Grennel was the school I think? Looked like a decent place to work, but extremely isolated.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #1347 by jester » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:10 pm

JLHockeyKnight wrote:
jester wrote:Yeah, folks generally don't register how far north some of these spots are. For example, Europe is much more northern than many realize.

Holy crap this. Just off-hand you tend to think that where we are in the Philadelphia area, we're probably at about the same latitude as England. WRONG. More like we're at the same latitude as northern Portugal/Spain. England is up there.

Yeah, if you are in Scotland there is a band of sunlight along the horizon at night during the summer.
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1546 times
Received rep: 715 times

Post #1348 by vonbonds » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:42 pm

I spent many summers in Scotland growing up. My biggest memories besides family is laying on the ground watching the Aurora Borealis at night
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #1349 by Hovercraft » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:06 am

jester wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:Was that Corner Brook Jester? Pretty beautiful part of the province, but even though it's the biggest "city" outside the St. John's area, it's only ~20k population and it's like a long 8 hour drive to St. John's. Our population density is crazy low, around half the province lives within an hour of the city.

Grennel was the school I think? Looked like a decent place to work, but extremely isolated.

Yeah Grenfell. It's one campus of Memorial University. I work at St. John's Campus.

Newfoundland is a great place to visit in the summer if you are into nature/outdoors/history, as a lot of the small towns really open up in tourism season. Might be worth considering sometime for all you Americans while Cdn dollar is mediocre.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #1350 by CantSeeColors » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:59 am

Hovercraft wrote:
jester wrote:

Yeah Grenfell. It's one campus of Memorial University. I work at St. John's Campus.

Newfoundland is a great place to visit in the summer if you are into nature/outdoors/history, as a lot of the small towns really open up in tourism season. Might be worth considering sometime for all you Americans while Cdn dollar is mediocre.

The fiancee and I were considering a trip to Nova Scotia at some point down the road. How does that compare with Newfoundland in terms of a ~4 day summer trip?

Return to “The Eric Wellwood Memorial Forum”