the tendon-cy to retire is natural.
now with even more memorial.
chaosof99
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 6 times
Received rep: 15 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #401 by chaosof99 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:51 am

Ratcliffe and Frost have signed their ELCs.
Rogers Pancreas
Has given rep: 20 times
Received rep: 54 times

Post #402 by Rogers Pancreas » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:54 pm

Wake me up when VDV re-signs.
His Satanic Majestic Request
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 18 times
Received rep: 13 times

Post #403 by Kilgore Trout » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:54 pm

Did we talk about this and I missed it, I know it's ESPN, but I thought Pronman was OK?

http://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_ ... -18-season
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 57 times
Received rep: 26 times

Post #404 by JLHockeyKnight » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:34 pm

I like Pronman. I don't have insider, but that one paragraph doesn't even mention Lindblom, Sanheim, Hart, Morin to name a few. It's awesome to see that we are still ranked number 1 considering he isn't including Konecny, Ghost, and Provorov into the ranking.
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad

Post #405 by Kilgore Trout » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:54 pm

JLHockeyKnight wrote:I like Pronman. I don't have insider, but that one paragraph doesn't even mention Lindblom, Sanheim, Hart, Morin to name a few. It's awesome to see that we are still ranked number 1 considering he isn't including Konecny, Ghost, and Provorov into the ranking.

Yea, the article only had one para for each team, but there was a more detailed write up in a linked article. To wit:

Team overview: The Flyers don't have as much game-breaking talent as the Coyotes do at the top of their system, but 2017 No. 2 overall pick Nolan Patrick is right up there; after Patrick, the Flyers have the cupboards lined with talent at every position. The group includes solid first-round picks, middle-round selections who have trended up, and an undrafted free agent in Philippe Myers who is one of the very best defense prospects in hockey. Not too long ago, the Flyers' farm system was a laughingstock, with C-grade college free agents making it into their top five. Today, they are in the best position of any NHL team in terms of adding young premium players to their roster.

Prospects outside top 100, top 10 goalies: There is a lot to like about German Rubtsov, while at the same time acknowledging he didn't have the greatest season due to injury and a lack of ice time in Russia, both of which hindered his development. From what we did see, he has the capability to be a very good two-way forward. He can make plays and be effective around the puck with speed and skill, coupled with good physical play and awareness at both ends of the rink.

Matthew Strome isn't as good a prospect as his older brothers, Dylan and Ryan, were at the same age, but he remains a noteworthy prospect. He's more of a pure goal scorer and less of a playmaker than his brothers, but the playmaking is more than competent. He has above-average stick skills and makes plays to his teammates at a high level. He's strong for his age and uses his big frame well. Strome's major issue is his skating; he's very sluggish, which led to his falling so far in the draft.

Morgan Frost showed significant development last season as a 17-year-old. His hockey sense is what stands out. Frost is a great playmaker who is often a primary creator of scoring chances. While he's great when he has the puck on his stick, he needs to improve away from the puck and is not a fierce competitor in puck battles. His top gear is fine, and he shows great agility and burst in his first few steps.

Beyond the top 10, Isaac Ratcliffe drew a lot of attention in the OHL as a towering forward who can score, due in part to a bullet of a wrist shot. He has decent offensive skills for a big man, creating scoring chances with his puck protection skills and winning battles around the net, but he can also make creative plays with the puck.

Netminder Anthony Stolarz is an incredible athlete for a 6-foot-6 goalie, and looks ready for his NHL shot. Robert Hagg is a decent two-way defenseman who improved his physical play this season. Samuel Morin is a tall defenseman with great physical play and good feet for his size, but is limited with the puck. Tanner Laczynski opened eyes as a smart two-way center for Ohio State this past season and for Team USA's under-20 squad internationally. Taylor Leier is a do-it-all forward who can provide depth. Mike Vecchione has a fine skill level, is fantastic on faceoffs and can push play forward, but he can be taken out of a game with physical play.

Noteworthy prospect: Mikhail Vorobyov had a strong season as a 19-year-old, including centering Russia's top line at the world juniors. He could be quicker but is not lacking in any other area. He's a tall center with skilled hands and great vision, is one of the better playmakers in his age group, and shows good awareness away from the puck.

2017-18 impact: Patrick will likely be on the opening night roster as a middle-six forward right away. Myers, Sanheim and Lindblom could all compete for spots. The two defensemen might require some AHL time at first, but Lindblom could possibly break camp with the team. I could see any of those four making an impact if given a chance. Down the depth chart, Hagg, Morin, Leier, Vecchione and Stolarz could all play NHL games this upcoming season, though they won't be as impactful.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_ ... impact#PHI
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 4 times
Received rep: 12 times

Post #406 by FlyHigh » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:02 pm

Yeah Pronman always seems like he knows what he's talking about and definitely owns up to the guys he misses (as well as mentioning the guys he's right about).

Seems like the Flyers are in a weird spot where we have the consensus "best group", but don't have any guys that project as "gamebreakers" on an elite level (unless Patrick is really, really good). Kind of reminds me of the Blues 6-7 years ago where they had a lot of very solid regular season players and had some great regular season success, but never were really able to do anything in the playoffs (this is before Tarasenko came along). Guess you could argue about whether they were just unlucky or whether there's something more to it.

Probably just natural pessimism though. Could just as likely have a situation in a couple years where Jake/Couturier/Patrick/Lindblom/Konecny are all 1st line-level scorers at ES and then Giroux/Ghost/Simmonds keep driving the PP.
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 915 times
Received rep: 465 times

Post #407 by vonbonds » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:21 pm

You guys have a chance to follow the Nashville model of building an elite blue line and having serviceable forwards all interchangeable minus a star or two.

If you have your goaltending figured out long term I'd be very excited in your shoes. Your defensive prospect pool plus young NHLers there have most other teams wishing they had your pool of talent.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #408 by FlyHigh » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:59 pm

Yeah, that was my initial thought as well, but I guess the difference is that you could argue that Forsberg/Johansen are significantly better at ES than anyone we have right now in the organization. But that's just woolgathering, this blueline really could be a lot of fun to watch in a couple of years and hopefully Patrick can jump in as a 1C in a couple years as well.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #409 by vonbonds » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:40 pm

If all of your high end d prospects pan out you'll use that highly valuable asset area to get some more oomph upfront. My team is a train wreck on the backend with no discernible plan. I'd rather have your total pool of players than the team I root for.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #410 by FlyHigh » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:13 pm

Oh yeah, this is the classic case of a millionaire complaining that the 7th bathroom in his house has a leaky faucet or something.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #411 by Rogers Pancreas » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:47 pm

FlyHigh wrote:Yeah, that was my initial thought as well, but I guess the difference is that you could argue that Forsberg/Johansen are significantly better at ES than anyone we have right now in the organization. But that's just woolgathering, this blueline really could be a lot of fun to watch in a couple of years and hopefully Patrick can jump in as a 1C in a couple years as well.

I'm not sure what "woolgathering" means, but you could also pretty easily argue, with our defensive group last year, Forsberg and Johansen would struggle to produce at ES just as the entire group of forwards in front of them (i.e. MacDonald, Manning, Schultz, Streit, etc.) did last year.
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad

Post #412 by Kilgore Trout » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:01 pm

Rogers Pancreas wrote:
FlyHigh wrote:Yeah, that was my initial thought as well, but I guess the difference is that you could argue that Forsberg/Johansen are significantly better at ES than anyone we have right now in the organization. But that's just woolgathering, this blueline really could be a lot of fun to watch in a couple of years and hopefully Patrick can jump in as a 1C in a couple years as well.

I'm not sure what "woolgathering" means, but you could also pretty easily argue, with our defensive group last year, Forsberg and Johansen would struggle to produce at ES just as the entire group of forwards in front of them (i.e. MacDonald, Manning, Schultz, Streit, etc.) did this last year.

I think it comes from sheep.
chaosof99
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 6 times
Received rep: 15 times

Post #413 by chaosof99 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:05 pm

#88 is going into the rafters on January 18th against the Leafs. Long overdue in my opinion.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #414 by Rogers Pancreas » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:49 pm

Ashbee, Parent, Clarke, and Barber I get. Lindbergh is what I want. This... I can go without, especially now that Lindros is in the Hall.
jester
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 8 times
Received rep: 74 times

Post #415 by jester » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:59 pm

He was such a piece of shit off the ice in the end.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #416 by FlyHigh » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:32 am

Pronman is going to The Athletic too and they're setting up a Philly version for early Sept. I signed up during one of the promos a couple months ago, would recommend it. Bourne is really interesting and the content is generally high-quality.

Would be nice to see a sustainable model for better hockey (and sports) journalism that actually has some of the access/perks/compensation that traditional sports media receives.
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad

Post #417 by Kilgore Trout » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:35 am

FlyHigh wrote:Pronman is going to The Athletic too and they're setting up a Philly version for early Sept. I signed up during one of the promos a couple months ago, would recommend it. Bourne is really interesting and the content is generally high-quality.

Would be nice to see a sustainable model for better hockey (and sports) journalism that actually has some of the access/perks/compensation that traditional sports media receives.

I'm considering it since they got Sheil Kapadia too, who was half of hands down the best Eagles blog before they (he and McManus) both left to ESPN.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #418 by Rogers Pancreas » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:56 am

Anyone that spends time thinking about Zadorov leaving Colorado is short on brain cells. Defensive defensemen in this league don't mean a fucking thing. Defensive defensemen playing on a bottom dweller, struggling just to make the cut, mean even less. Sorry you traded Reilly for the schmuck. But it is what it is.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 30 times
Received rep: 9 times

Post #419 by GoneFullHextall » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:44 am

Alex Appleyard will be writing for the athletic as well. that guy knows his shit.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #420 by Rogers Pancreas » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:15 pm

Stolarsz just had surgery on one of his knees, and will be out indefinitely.

Oh, the joys of giant goalers.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad

Post #421 by GoneFullHextall » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:11 am

did he get hurt in offseason workouts?
Rogers Pancreas

Post #422 by Rogers Pancreas » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:25 am

GoneFullHextall wrote:did he get hurt in offseason workouts?

It's a little convoluted.

The Philadelphia Flyers announced today that goaltender Anthony Stolarz underwent surgery on his left knee to repair a meniscus tear on Thursday, Sept. 7, according to General Manager Ron Hextall. He will be out indefinitely.

Stolarz spent the summer rehabbing at the Flyers practice facility after he suffered an injury at the end of the club's American Hockey League affiliate, the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, season on the night that they qualified for the Calder Cup playoffs.

More...
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad

Post #423 by GoneFullHextall » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:04 pm

feel bad for the kid. He seemed to be on the right track with his development. this will likely delay it
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #424 by vonbonds » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:19 pm

Pro tip, don't be a goaler on my fantasy hockey team, it isn't good for your health. Ask Jonathan Quick how his last season went...
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 33 times
Received rep: 21 times

Post #425 by CantSeeColors » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:29 pm

vonbonds wrote:Pro tip, don't be a goaler on my fantasy hockey team, it isn't good for your health. Ask Jonathan Quick how his last season went...

Can you trade for all the penguins' goalies?
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #426 by vonbonds » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:49 pm

CantSeeColors wrote:
vonbonds wrote:Pro tip, don't be a goaler on my fantasy hockey team, it isn't good for your health. Ask Jonathan Quick how his last season went...

Can you trade for all the penguins' goalies?

I hate them so YES
jester
Registered Broad

Post #427 by jester » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:36 pm

GoneFullHextall wrote:feel bad for the kid. He seemed to be on the right track with his development. this will likely delay it

Pretty decent chance it derails his chance to stick with the Flyers long term, in fact. The competition for depth chart spots at the pro level is going to get fierce very soon.
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 17 times
Received rep: 35 times

Post #428 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:33 am

jester wrote:
GoneFullHextall wrote:feel bad for the kid. He seemed to be on the right track with his development. this will likely delay it

Pretty decent chance it derails his chance to stick with the Flyers long term, in fact. The competition for depth chart spots at the pro level is going to get fierce very soon.

It's going to be really exciting to watch honestly, I'm pretty excited for it to start. Starts this year with the first Dmen coming up from the AHL.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 57 times
Received rep: 26 times

Post #429 by JLHockeyKnight » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:53 am

jester wrote:

Honestly my first thoughts when I read he needed surgery. In a year or so we're going to see a 3 way battle between Hart, Lyon, and Stolarz for NHL time.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad

Post #430 by GoneFullHextall » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:58 am

jester wrote:

most definitely.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #431 by Rogers Pancreas » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:47 pm

Lombardi will work under General Manager Ron Hextall, who was his assistant GM in Los Angeles.

http://sonsofpenn.com/flyers-hire-dean- ... n-hextall/

Cool move, provided Lombardi has roughly 0% input on contracts.

And on a somewhat tangential note, I want to ask the Broads a question. If you're re-tooling/re-building/tanking/etc., general managers typically have a lot of disposable income (metaphorically speaking). They use it to their advantage to acquire a fuck-ton of draft picks, and yes they occasionally bottom out leading to that coveted top-5 pick. But the general managers also don't go out signing 35-year old Marian Gaborik (just an example). They avoid those players like the plague in lieu of building their roster through their draft. So, why do these guys suddenly flip shit when they see their roster getting close, and totally abandon the philosophy that served them well in the past? Why don't they continue operating like their jobs depend on how creative, and frugal they can be?

I'm not accusing the Flyers of anything here. I just look at what Hextall has managed to do in just a few years, and wonder how much further he can take this roster WITHOUT doing the Holmgren thing; part of me thinks this is why Detroit was the model of success for so many years (yes, drafting Lidstrom played a part in that... but you can also see a clear shift in Holland's philosophy within the last five years in signing duds like Bertuzzi and Vanek.)
jester
Registered Broad

Post #432 by jester » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:18 pm

I think that's the difficult aspect of managing the life cycle of a franchise. Do you recognize when the window has closed, or do you desperately try to hold onto the ghost and sign guys in a desperate attempt to stave off the inevitable? Very few teams--in any sport--manage to remain cutthroat enough to remain perpetually at a high level. The Patriots leap immediately to mind as an example, but you also have to grapple with the best coach (in the sport where that matters the most) and one of the best QBs ever ... so, Pats get to operate from an advantage that few enjoy.

That being said, you do reach a point where you are within reach but maybe not quite there and you get a little bit more aggressive to bridge the gap. I do not think that is necessarily out of sync philosophically with the "build through the draft" mantra. I think most franchises/GMs would trade a down year or two of re-tooling for 3-4 years with legit championship contention.

The key element, however, is how you manage the other side of the talent swell. If you wait too long to deleverage assets, you risk a hard landing without a net. One of the more remarkable things right now in sports is the Pens, who basically gutted their farm system for years and have gotten remarkably lucky hitting on the surrounding cast in recent years.

On Lombardi: count me among those that wish he was nowhere near this team after the utter shit show that was his off-ice management of the Kings in recent years.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #433 by CantSeeColors » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:32 am

Agreed on that last point. Kings were a shit show his last few years and this move just reeks of helping out one of the good old boys rather than something that'll actually help
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad

Post #434 by GoneFullHextall » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:39 pm

I don't mind it if he is a scout for the WHL or something.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #435 by Rogers Pancreas » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:48 pm

An excellent montage, even if he abuses Lens Flare like Bay.

vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #436 by vonbonds » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:33 am

Is Matej Tomek even a prospect for you guys at this point? He's always injured and now going to the USHL I believe. He was highly touted but unfortunately for him seems to have stalled his development the last 2 years.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #437 by jester » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:28 am

vonbonds wrote:Is Matej Tomek even a prospect for you guys at this point? He's always injured and now going to the USHL I believe. He was highly touted but unfortunately for him seems to have stalled his development the last 2 years.

I doubt they sign him. Too many guys above him.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #438 by vonbonds » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:30 am

jester wrote:
vonbonds wrote:Is Matej Tomek even a prospect for you guys at this point? He's always injured and now going to the USHL I believe. He was highly touted but unfortunately for him seems to have stalled his development the last 2 years.

I doubt they sign him. Too many guys above him.

It's a shame for him. I have him in a keeper league but I was following him because he went to the University of North Dakota where I went too. I was hoping for him and the program he would turn out.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad
Received rep: 24 times

Post #439 by DeadPhish » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:04 pm

Patrick is going to be wearing #19.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad

Post #440 by DeadPhish » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:12 pm

Matt Read on waivers.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #441 by Rogers Pancreas » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:09 pm

Not surprising, but a little disappointing. I really wish he could have regained his early-Flyers form because he was a pretty valuable player during that time.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 17 times

Post #442 by Hovercraft » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:29 pm

First big money cut. Definitely not worth the cap hit anymore but he's probably more useful than Weise or Lehtera.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #443 by Rogers Pancreas » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:42 pm

Lehtera's making a million more, and the only thing going for him at the moment is that he's Hextall's shiny new toy. Once the luster wears off, I think people are going to be wishing for Read. Weise... I don't even know, man. He's in Savage territory.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 17 times

Post #444 by Hovercraft » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:45 am

Yeah I feel like Lehtera is going to bust for us, but I guess you have to give him a chance to do something. Read is a Holmgren contract but Hextall owns Weise/Lehtera.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad

Post #445 by DeadPhish » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:17 pm

Read cleared. Being sent to the Phantoms.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #446 by CantSeeColors » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:25 pm

The reason to waive Read and not the other two is purely because Read is in the last year of his deal, and so can't show up next year all disgruntled.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #447 by vonbonds » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:57 pm

Did Charlie Girl retire from here?

Return to “The Eric Wellwood Memorial Forum”