2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

I'm pretty sure it was by accident
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 54 times
Received rep: 67 times
Contact:

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1151 by Hovercraft » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:50 pm

Rumors we've been talking to WPG about Laine for Ghost++. Winnipeg wants a 2C apparently. Not sure what the value of Laughton or Patrick are right now though. Not sure we have enough value for Laine.
Chatter seems to be Ghost plus Frost plus 1st. Interesting but who knows how credible it is.

Also could take a run at Pietrangelo if we still move Ghost I guess.
User avatar
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad
Posts: 1088
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:37 am
Has given rep: 29 times
Received rep: 25 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1152 by Kilgore Trout » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:14 pm

Hovercraft wrote:Rumors we've been talking to WPG about Laine for Ghost++. Winnipeg wants a 2C apparently. Not sure what the value of Laughton or Patrick are right now though. Not sure we have enough value for Laine.
Chatter seems to be Ghost plus Frost plus 1st. Interesting but who knows how credible it is.

Also could take a run at Pietrangelo if we still move Ghost I guess.


Take that, easily.
User avatar
Rogers Pancreas
Posts: 3841
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:00 am
Location: New York
Has given rep: 67 times
Received rep: 145 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1153 by Rogers Pancreas » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:20 am

Now's the time you push for Pietrangelo. Move Ghost if you have to, but hard after a guy that'll be on your top-pairing for the next ten years or so.
His Satanic Majestic Request
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 7822
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 14 times
Received rep: 202 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1154 by jester » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:32 am

Rogers Pancreas wrote:Now's the time you push for Pietrangelo. Move Ghost if you have to, but hard after a guy that'll be on your top-pairing for the next ten years or so.


Maybe. Expansion draft complicates things a bit. We definitely went from probably dull off-season to very interesting one.
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 54 times
Received rep: 67 times
Contact:

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1155 by Hovercraft » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:06 am

Bill has been talking about Pietrangelo on Twitter.

It's tough to protect 4 D men in expansion as it means exposing a lot of forwards. Whatever happens, hopefully we can just give Seattle a pick to take JVR but flat cap means every team is going to want to bribe Seattle to take salary.

It's either 7 forwards, 3 D or its 8 skaters total.

4D:
Provorov, Pietrangelo, Myers, Sanheim.
Giroux, Hayes, Couturier, Konecny.

3D :
Provorov, Myers, Sanheim
Giroux, Hayes, Couturier, Konecny, lindblom, Patrick, Laughton

I guess if you have Pietrangelo, it's worth losing someone like Lindblom or Patrick to expansion. Giroux and Hayes have NMC and have to be protected.
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 7822
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 14 times
Received rep: 202 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1156 by jester » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:13 am

Hovercraft wrote:Bill has been talking about Pietrangelo on Twitter.

It's tough to protect 4 D men in expansion as it means exposing a lot of forwards. Whatever happens, hopefully we can just give Seattle a pick to take JVR but flat cap means every team is going to want to bribe Seattle to take salary.

It's either 7 forwards, 3 D or its 8 skaters total.

4D:
Provorov, Pietrangelo, Myers, Sanheim.
Giroux, Hayes, Couturier, Konecny.

3D :
Provorov, Myers, Sanheim
Giroux, Hayes, Couturier, Konecny, lindblom, Patrick, Laughton

I guess if you have Pietrangelo, it's worth losing someone like Lindblom or Patrick to expansion. Giroux and Hayes have NMC and have to be protected.


You also have the Laine rumors flying around, and I would wager almost anything if that happens Patrick goes in that deal.
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 54 times
Received rep: 67 times
Contact:

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1157 by Hovercraft » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:29 am

Yeah would be an awesome pipedream but both Laine and Pietrangelo doesn't seem possible cap without trading JVR and Ghost. If we get one of them I would be happy though, depending on the costs.
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 7822
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 14 times
Received rep: 202 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1158 by jester » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:34 am

Hovercraft wrote:Yeah would be an awesome pipedream but both Laine and Pietrangelo doesn't seem possible cap without trading JVR and Ghost. If we get one of them I would be happy though, depending on the costs.


A high-level sniper is pretty appealing right now, but it would be an expensive trade. The talks are serious, though, and I would expect Patrick to be a throw in sweetener on such a deal.

It really comes down to how good do you think Myers/Sanheim are going to be (may have to include one in such a trade, though).

What they REALLY need is Ghost to go live in a hut and go on a fever quest or something and find his game again.
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 54 times
Received rep: 67 times
Contact:

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1159 by Hovercraft » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:50 am

I'd be open to moving Sanheim in a Laine deal if WPG values him high. I think Myers is the rarer commodity and worth holding onto.

Really hard to gauge Patrick's value but Laine is definitely worth it. Laine is what we wished JVR could have been when we drafted him.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Posts: 2687
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:44 am
Has given rep: 80 times
Received rep: 61 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1160 by CantSeeColors » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:59 am

jester wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:Yeah would be an awesome pipedream but both Laine and Pietrangelo doesn't seem possible cap without trading JVR and Ghost. If we get one of them I would be happy though, depending on the costs.


A high-level sniper is pretty appealing right now, but it would be an expensive trade. The talks are serious, though, and I would expect Patrick to be a throw in sweetener on such a deal.

It really comes down to how good do you think Myers/Sanheim are going to be (may have to include one in such a trade, though).

What they REALLY need is Ghost to go live in a hut and go on a fever quest or something and find his game again.

They might just need to let him play. Dude had that same core muscle injury it took Giroux 1.5 years to really recover from. If he gets healthy and in shape, I think the good version of him is still in there.
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 2838
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 35 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1161 by FlyHigh » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:07 pm

CantSeeColors wrote:
jester wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:Yeah would be an awesome pipedream but both Laine and Pietrangelo doesn't seem possible cap without trading JVR and Ghost. If we get one of them I would be happy though, depending on the costs.


A high-level sniper is pretty appealing right now, but it would be an expensive trade. The talks are serious, though, and I would expect Patrick to be a throw in sweetener on such a deal.

It really comes down to how good do you think Myers/Sanheim are going to be (may have to include one in such a trade, though).

What they REALLY need is Ghost to go live in a hut and go on a fever quest or something and find his game again.

They might just need to let him play. Dude had that same core muscle injury it took Giroux 1.5 years to really recover from. If he gets healthy and in shape, I think the good version of him is still in there.


Completely agreed on this. I could see moving on from him for cap reasons and I don’t think he’s a long-term piece (I don’t think you can trust him in the POs in a top-4), but if you’re just getting bargain basement offers, why not keep him.

Might be a minority here, but I would not move Sanheim/Myers for Laine unless it was straight up (and even with Myers that’s real tough). Myers is still pretty much a rookie by NHL standards and some D just take longer, there’s a decent chance Provorov/Myers is a great 1st pairing for the next decade...
User avatar
Rogers Pancreas
Posts: 3841
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:00 am
Location: New York
Has given rep: 67 times
Received rep: 145 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1162 by Rogers Pancreas » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:23 pm

I have no interest in touching Laine. He's an exceptional sniper, but paying a one-dimensional winger like that is as bad an allocation of cap space as paying a goaltender the max allowable. Then you figure in shedding assets, and the decision becomes all that much easier to make, IMO.
His Satanic Majestic Request
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 7822
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 14 times
Received rep: 202 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1163 by jester » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:32 pm

CantSeeColors wrote:
jester wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:Yeah would be an awesome pipedream but both Laine and Pietrangelo doesn't seem possible cap without trading JVR and Ghost. If we get one of them I would be happy though, depending on the costs.


A high-level sniper is pretty appealing right now, but it would be an expensive trade. The talks are serious, though, and I would expect Patrick to be a throw in sweetener on such a deal.

It really comes down to how good do you think Myers/Sanheim are going to be (may have to include one in such a trade, though).

What they REALLY need is Ghost to go live in a hut and go on a fever quest or something and find his game again.

They might just need to let him play. Dude had that same core muscle injury it took Giroux 1.5 years to really recover from. If he gets healthy and in shape, I think the good version of him is still in there.


Yeah, I don't think Ghost's problems were primarily physical in the big picture. Sure, around the margins and over stretches ... but it just seemed like he lost all confidence and was a mental mess out there.
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 2838
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 35 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1164 by FlyHigh » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:45 pm

Almost like playing with an injury can also affect you mentally and hurt your confidence...
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 7822
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 14 times
Received rep: 202 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1165 by jester » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:49 pm

FlyHigh wrote:Almost like playing with an injury can also affect you mentally and hurt your confidence...


Again ... around the margins, but it was a lot fucking more than that. He looked utterly lost out there for long stretches and was completely ineffective, and at some point it isn't the (multiple) coaches faults for that fact, and decisions need to be made.

And at what point, are you just never going to be the same? Joni Pitkanen never regained the dynamism he demonstrated his first couple of seasons.

I really enjoyed watching Ghost early in his career. I hope he regains that game, but at some point you need to acknowledge the growing evidence that that Ghost may be gone.
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 2838
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 35 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1166 by FlyHigh » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:33 pm

Your last post is pretty much a perfect description of Giroux...who had the exact same injury. Also worth noting that Ghost put up generally strong underlying numbers last year when he wasn’t with Hagg (like literally every other D that’s been here the last 3 years, our own version of Jack Johnson).

There’s obviously no guarantee re: Ghost. That said, Flyers need a D who’s at least semi-competent with the puck and who ideally doesn’t present an issue for the expansion draft. They literally have Ghost right there with his trade value at an absolute nadir.

If he’s in a Laine trade as a primary piece, great. If you’re trading him with a pick so that you can clear cap to sign Krug at 7x8 with an NMC, not great.
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 7822
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 14 times
Received rep: 202 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1167 by jester » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:52 pm

FlyHigh wrote:Your last post is pretty much a perfect description of Giroux...who had the exact same injury. Also worth noting that Ghost put up generally strong underlying numbers last year when he wasn’t with Hagg (like literally every other D that’s been here the last 3 years, our own version of Jack Johnson).


Yeah, not really. He didn't play too much away from Hagg/Braun, and didn't really earn minutes higher in the lineup. He was also ineffective on the PP early in the season, which is where he needs to shine with his skill set.

And, no, this isn't like Giroux. We are two seasons into Ghost being mediocre to subpar at this point. We are also now into a third coaching staff that is dubious of Ghost.

Could Ghost bounce back? Sure, he definitely has the physical talent. But he simply hasn't been great for a couple years, has been passed on the depth chart, and he's lost the confidence of multiple coaches. At some point, need to stop making excuses for all of that.

There’s obviously no guarantee re: Ghost. That said, Flyers need a D who’s at least semi-competent with the puck and who ideally doesn’t present an issue for the expansion draft. They literally have Ghost right there with his trade value at an absolute nadir.

If he’s in a Laine trade as a primary piece, great. If you’re trading him with a pick so that you can clear cap to sign Krug at 7x8 with an NMC, not great.


If Niskanen had not retired, they had to move on from Ghost. There's less pressure now, but you're one more shit season from him having zero value, and it's far from clear AV trusts him or that he's going to be given the PP minutes, etc. to reclaim his value.

If the coaching staff doesn't want to play him, Fletcher *has to* look at other options.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Posts: 2687
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:44 am
Has given rep: 80 times
Received rep: 61 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1168 by CantSeeColors » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:56 pm

jester wrote:Again ... around the margins, but it was a lot fucking more than that. He looked utterly lost out there for long stretches and was completely ineffective,


When your #1 asset is moving the puck via skating ability, of course you're going to look lost and ineffective when an injury is preventing you from doing that.

and at some point it isn't the (multiple) coaches faults for that fact, and decisions need to be made.


Neither of us is suggesting it's the coaches' fault.
User avatar
chaosof99
Registered Broad
Posts: 4186
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:00 pm
Has given rep: 11 times
Received rep: 40 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1169 by chaosof99 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:34 pm

Flyers picked Tyson Foerster in the first round, which is funny to me. After Trump made his idiotic remarks about austrian people living in "forst cities" with "exploding trees", the biggest joke here was a pun on Trump's slogan: "America FIrst, Austria Förster". "Förster" is the german word for forest warden and sounds like the comparative for the english word "first". Apparently this now applies to the Flyers as well (the umlaut ö is transliterated to "oe" when not available).

In the second round Flyers picked swedish Defenseman Emil Andrae. I know nothing about either of these guys, but I trust the scouting and drafting department enough.
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 7822
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 14 times
Received rep: 202 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1170 by jester » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:28 pm

CantSeeColors wrote:When your #1 asset is moving the puck via skating ability, of course you're going to look lost and ineffective when an injury is preventing you from doing that.


Did you really think Ghost looked all that physically hampered? I didn't, and I'm more than happy to make accommodations for injuries ... but at some point, they transform into excuses and wishcasting. We're closer to the latter at this point, and that's a reality that we need to come to terms with. I find it immensely disappointing. And I also think it's possible that a new location may lead to resurrection, just increasingly lack confidence that will occur here with this coaching staff in the near term.

Now that doesn't mean that injuries didn't impact him the past *two* years, either in a real (physical) or indirect (mental) way, but he also didn't look like a player that couldn't physically keep up with pace, etc. He looked like a player that had completely lost mental confidence in his game. Which happens, and sometimes they don't come back from it -- most famously in baseball.

Neither of us is suggesting it's the coaches' fault.


Yeah, the exterior forces acting on Ghost has been going around here a bit, including with coaching/management. None of the coaches Ghost has had here have demonstrated complete faith and trust in him. It is what it is.
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 2838
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 35 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1171 by FlyHigh » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:31 am

Draft seemed...fine?

This is probably one of the many reasons why I’m not an NHL GM, but it confuses me that someone like Wisdom would drop so far. It seems like most folks agree he has the tools to be a bottom-6 NHL F and the real question is whether he’ll be a fringe guy or a solid 3rd liner type. I can see why you don’t pick a guy like that early, but it’s weird to me that he lasted until 94 considering that we just saw how valuable a guy like Barclay Goodrow is in the POs.

Also, best name of the draft and an incredible story. I don’t love their first round pick (realistically, how often do big snipers with skating issues actually work out into top-6 players?), but the rest of it seems solid. Do kind of wish they had taken another goalie lottery ticket, but nbd...
User avatar
Rogers Pancreas
Posts: 3841
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:00 am
Location: New York
Has given rep: 67 times
Received rep: 145 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1172 by Rogers Pancreas » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:30 pm

Couple things irked me about this draft, and it has very little to do with the players drafted:

1. I wouldn't ever trade up in the third round or beyond. Rather, I'd be the guy trading down because I know the probability of successfully hitting on a pick at 150 and 250 are boreline identical. It's more important to have multiple picks. You have a player you really like? Then why the fuck are you waiting until the third-round to pick him?! And why aren't you hitting on more of your picks in the later rounds?

2. "Bottom-six upside"... did I just hear this right? Did we seriously spend a pick on a player with "bottom-six upside"? Like we can't just go over to Europe and find a Michael Raffl, or trade a fucking fifth for a Ryan Hartman or Tyler Pitlick! You know what you can't trade for a fourth-round pick? Egor Zamula. Phil Myers. Sergei fucking Bobrovsky two years ago. There are players every year that either go undrafted, or in the later rounds, and it's because the scouts still don't have a proven methodology. You know what else you can't trade for a fourth-round pick? The cap efficiency that comes along with drafting well in the later rounds!

NOTE: I'm not actually mad at how this draft went. I think the Flyers did a pretty respectable job, given a pretty limited viewing of the prospects. I am, however, annoyed at (what I perceive to be at least)pretty obvious, pretty egregious cases of asset mismanagement. Like watching your daughter spend $1000 on the latest iPhone, or your significant other spending $80,000 on a new Denali, only to have them cry poor. Well, sir or madam, maybe the reason we don't have a team capable of competing with Tampa Bay is because they use their later picks on players like Kucherov and Point, while we're still drafting Goulbournes. Something to think about.
His Satanic Majestic Request
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 2838
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 35 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1173 by FlyHigh » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:19 pm

I kind of agree with you on No. 1, but at the same time, TB traded up to grab Point, Vancouver moved up to grab Edler, etc., I think there are a lot of examples of teams successfully doing it. Not sure what the numbers say on it, but based on Dom L’s charting I don’t think any of the trade ups are too egregious.

On your 2nd point, I don’t think you can take home run swings with every pick. By all accounts, the 1st, 2nd and 6th round picks are all varying degrees of boom or bust. I don’t mind them spending some mid-round picks on guys that definitely don’t have a huge ceiling, but have a good shot at being solid NHLers. I have had this issue with prior drafts (where they took no swings at all), but if you look at Fletcher, Foerster, Andrae and Brink are all pretty significant low floor high ceiling picks that they’ve made recently.
User avatar
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad
Posts: 1088
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:37 am
Has given rep: 29 times
Received rep: 25 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1174 by Kilgore Trout » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:18 pm

Was OBrien a low floor low ceiling pick?
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 54 times
Received rep: 67 times
Contact:

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1175 by Hovercraft » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:20 pm

Could TJ Brodie be a good RD option for us to replace Niskanen assuming we're not in on Pietrangelo?
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 2838
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 35 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1176 by FlyHigh » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:36 pm

Think O’Brien might have been a basement basement pick. I’d honestly read an oral history of what the fuck they were thinking there, was so weird at the time and has gone downhill since.

I’d be generally OK with Brodie I guess, kinda depends on price. Feel like there will be a lot of bargains out there and you don’t want to be the team that overpays in the initial rush.
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 54 times
Received rep: 67 times
Contact:

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1177 by Hovercraft » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:05 pm

Montreal just signed Josh Anderson to a potentially awful contract. He had 4 points last year and got a 7 year deal at 5.5mil. It's the kind of deal Hextall was smart to not give Simmonds.
User avatar
Rogers Pancreas
Posts: 3841
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:00 am
Location: New York
Has given rep: 67 times
Received rep: 145 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1178 by Rogers Pancreas » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:50 pm

Hovercraft wrote:Could TJ Brodie be a good RD option for us to replace Niskanen assuming we're not in on Pietrangelo?

I mean, wherever he signs, you have to believe he's going to ask for a NMC/NTC to protect against the Expansion Draft. That would expose either Sanheim or Myers or Provorov, which I'm not okay with.
His Satanic Majestic Request
User avatar
chaosof99
Registered Broad
Posts: 4186
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:00 pm
Has given rep: 11 times
Received rep: 40 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1179 by chaosof99 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:33 pm

Rather annoyed that they didn't keep Pitlick. Good bottom six player and at 2x1.75 mil seems like the Flyers could have afforded that.
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 54 times
Received rep: 67 times
Contact:

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1180 by Hovercraft » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:42 pm

Nah I loved Pitlick but we barely have any roster room in the bottom 6 with Lindblom and Patrick back and Frost competing for a spot. Guys like NAK, Bunnaman, Kase, etc can fill Pitlicks role for cheaper. We could have kept him at 1mil but 1.75 is too rich for us. Rather keep the cap space for a D man or big forward acquisition.
Happy for Pitlick though, especially gett two years of security.
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 54 times
Received rep: 67 times
Contact:

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1181 by Hovercraft » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:18 pm

Pretty reasonable deal for Brodie from Toronto. 4 years at 5 mil per. But like RP said the NMC makes it a no go for us with our 3 young dmen.

Apparently we signed Derrick Pouliot for league minimum. Depth signing, hopefully phantom bound.
User avatar
Rogers Pancreas
Posts: 3841
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:00 am
Location: New York
Has given rep: 67 times
Received rep: 145 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1182 by Rogers Pancreas » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:30 pm

Hovercraft wrote:Nah I loved Pitlick but we barely have any roster room in the bottom 6 with Lindblom and Patrick back and Frost competing for a spot. Guys like NAK, Bunnaman, Kase, etc can fill Pitlicks role for cheaper. We could have kept him at 1mil but 1.75 is too rich for us. Rather keep the cap space for a D man or big forward acquisition.
Happy for Pitlick though, especially gett two years of security.

I'm pretty big on not pissing away cap space on third/fourth-liners... BUT, I don't think Bunnaman or Kase are NHL-caliber players at this point. Haven't looked into the stats, to see if they support it. Just a gut feeling. And while I'm not big on overpaying role-players, I'm also not a fan of dressing AHL players.
His Satanic Majestic Request
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 54 times
Received rep: 67 times
Contact:

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1183 by Hovercraft » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:42 pm

Fletcher also included Sandin, Allison, Lazinsky, Rubstov in that group of young players who will be competing for a 4th line or 13th forward spot. We have a lot of options, one of them is bound to earn the spot.

We already have 11 NHL forwards under contract, plus Patrick and Frost for 13. Barring other moves or injuries or setbacks to Patrick/Lindblom, we're talking about a 13th/14th forward here.

Not sure how the lines will look but roughly:

Giroux-Couturier-Voracek
Farabee-Hayes-Konecny
Lindblom-Laughton-JVR
Raffl-Patrick-NAK
Frost
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 54 times
Received rep: 67 times
Contact:

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1184 by Hovercraft » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:50 pm

With Pietrangelo seeming to land in Vegas, Nate Schmidt is an interesting trade target for us. His deal is a bit long but he would full a Niskanen roll well and Vegas is going to be desperate to clear cap. We'd have to expose him to Seattle but that's fine if we don't pay a big price to acquire him.
User avatar
chaosof99
Registered Broad
Posts: 4186
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:00 pm
Has given rep: 11 times
Received rep: 40 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1185 by chaosof99 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:06 pm

Well, we got us another Erik Gustafsson. 1 year at 3 mil, pretty acceptable.
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 54 times
Received rep: 67 times
Contact:

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1186 by Hovercraft » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:23 pm

Don't see what need he fills unless Ghost is still being dealt, but hard to complain about a one year deal.
User avatar
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Posts: 2838
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 am
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 35 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1187 by FlyHigh » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:09 am

Kind of an odd move, especially kind of difficult to take with Schmidt going for a minimal trade price right after.

That said, although Schmidt would have been a great fit, I think they’ve been right to be conservative. At some point relatively soon, they’re clearly going to have to bet on York/Zamula jumping into the top-4 and Schmidt has 4 more years on his deal. Plus nobody has any idea what’s going to happen with the cap in the future and the Flyers have a couple of long-term deals on their books already with some potential for ugliness. Plus you’re looking at Couturier/Giroux/Sanheim/Hart coming up in the next couple years. Probably cliche, but the winners of FA in the moment often aren’t the winners in retrospect.
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 7822
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 14 times
Received rep: 202 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1188 by jester » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:38 pm

Rogers Pancreas wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:Nah I loved Pitlick but we barely have any roster room in the bottom 6 with Lindblom and Patrick back and Frost competing for a spot. Guys like NAK, Bunnaman, Kase, etc can fill Pitlicks role for cheaper. We could have kept him at 1mil but 1.75 is too rich for us. Rather keep the cap space for a D man or big forward acquisition.
Happy for Pitlick though, especially gett two years of security.

I'm pretty big on not pissing away cap space on third/fourth-liners... BUT, I don't think Bunnaman or Kase are NHL-caliber players at this point. Haven't looked into the stats, to see if they support it. Just a gut feeling. And while I'm not big on overpaying role-players, I'm also not a fan of dressing AHL players.


I have to think they're banking on Sandin being a player coming over from the SEL (hopefully that plays out a la Raffl), and then you have the college rookies.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Posts: 2687
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:44 am
Has given rep: 80 times
Received rep: 61 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1189 by CantSeeColors » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:08 am

jester wrote:
Rogers Pancreas wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:Nah I loved Pitlick but we barely have any roster room in the bottom 6 with Lindblom and Patrick back and Frost competing for a spot. Guys like NAK, Bunnaman, Kase, etc can fill Pitlicks role for cheaper. We could have kept him at 1mil but 1.75 is too rich for us. Rather keep the cap space for a D man or big forward acquisition.
Happy for Pitlick though, especially gett two years of security.

I'm pretty big on not pissing away cap space on third/fourth-liners... BUT, I don't think Bunnaman or Kase are NHL-caliber players at this point. Haven't looked into the stats, to see if they support it. Just a gut feeling. And while I'm not big on overpaying role-players, I'm also not a fan of dressing AHL players.


I have to think they're banking on Sandin being a player coming over from the SEL (hopefully that plays out a la Raffl), and then you have the college rookies.

I think lots of people, inside and outside the org, are pretty high on Allison and Laczynski. Wouldn't shock me at all if one of them makes the jump right out of the gate since they were both 4 year college players.
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 54 times
Received rep: 67 times
Contact:

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1190 by Hovercraft » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:48 am

Patrick accepted his qualifying offer of ~875k. That's easy, just Myers left now. Hopefully Patrick can play the whole season and get back at it.
User avatar
chicpea
Registered Broad
Posts: 11999
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:09 pm
Location: lagoons or ditches
Has given rep: 2592 times
Received rep: 1827 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1191 by chicpea » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:45 am

Thoughts on/chances of Zamula making the team this year? Thanks in advance.
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 54 times
Received rep: 67 times
Contact:

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1192 by Hovercraft » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:25 pm

chicpea wrote:Thoughts on/chances of Zamula making the team this year? Thanks in advance.

He's definitely knocking on the door, but he'll likely be a call up fill in this year and make the team next year. He was on the playoff squad in the bubble which is a great sign.
User avatar
chicpea
Registered Broad
Posts: 11999
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:09 pm
Location: lagoons or ditches
Has given rep: 2592 times
Received rep: 1827 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1193 by chicpea » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:18 pm

Thanks, HP Lovercraft. I've only ever see him play in the world juniors, where he was lights out in short spurts. I was hoping (my pool) that with Niskanen gone, he might steal a spot. Seems fanciful though.
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 7822
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 14 times
Received rep: 202 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1194 by jester » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:28 pm

chicpea wrote:Thanks, HP Lovercraft. I've only ever see him play in the world juniors, where he was lights out in short spurts. I was hoping (my pool) that with Niskanen gone, he might steal a spot. Seems fanciful though.


Yeah, they put him in the exhibition game against the Pens, which is a pretty strong sign they think he's close. That said, the problem is the no 2 spot behind Provorov, so no clear spot for him just yet. I'd expect him to get some games this year assuming things are remotely normal.
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 54 times
Received rep: 67 times
Contact:

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1195 by Hovercraft » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:38 am

If we still end up trading Ghost it might make more opportunity for Zamula this year. Otherwise he's LD number 5 right now behind Provorov, Sanheim, Ghost and Hagg
User avatar
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Newfoundland
Has given rep: 54 times
Received rep: 67 times
Contact:

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1196 by Hovercraft » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:32 am

Myers finally re-signed. 3 years @ 2.55mil. Pretty great bridge deal for us. The third year is key and he's still a RFA when it ends.
User avatar
chicpea
Registered Broad
Posts: 11999
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:09 pm
Location: lagoons or ditches
Has given rep: 2592 times
Received rep: 1827 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1197 by chicpea » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:15 am

I'm an interloper on this broad, and I do hate to promote other threads, but you guys may not know there is a World Juniors draft pool we do each year. There are spots open and any of you are more than welcome. You can find it here: viewtopic.php?f=117&p=3630218#p3630218
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 7822
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 14 times
Received rep: 202 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1198 by jester » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:28 pm

Morin to wing? Why not?
User avatar
Rogers Pancreas
Posts: 3841
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:00 am
Location: New York
Has given rep: 67 times
Received rep: 145 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1199 by Rogers Pancreas » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:19 pm

Are there any expansion draft implications? Wondering if that's what's driving the change.
His Satanic Majestic Request
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 7822
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 14 times
Received rep: 202 times

Re: 2017-18 Pertinent Philadelphia Flyers News

Post #1200 by jester » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:44 pm

Rogers Pancreas wrote:Are there any expansion draft implications? Wondering if that's what's driving the change.


Wouldn't think so. No way they're protecting him

Return to “The Finally Got a Goalies in Philly”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest