Howe answers Gretzky's questions ahead of book release

From the Creamery Kings to the Salary Cap....
Germz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 117 times
Received rep: 88 times

Howe answers Gretzky's questions ahead of book release

Post #1 by Germz » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:14 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/howe-answers-gretzky-s-questions-ahead-of-book-release-1.103704

A really nice interview between Wayne and Gordie.

Some of my favourite parts:

WG: You did a lot of things that other people can't do — one thing I've never seen is a hockey player who could score right- and left-handed. Are you ambidextrous?

GH: I have always been able to do most things left- or right-handed so I guess I am ambidextrous. I don't really think about doing things right- or left-handed, it just happens. If I was going around a player I would automatically move my stick to the side away from the defender to protect the puck better. There is no time to think about something like that in the middle of a hockey game. You just do it.

WG: Wearing No. 9 in the NHL is considered an honour. (That's the number I wanted when I went to junior. They didn't give it to me, though.) What has No. 9 meant to you?

GH: It's a pretty classic number, and a lot of great players have worn it, but what it meant to me was that I got a better night's sleep. Many people may not know that my first number with the Red Wings was No. 17 until early into my first season. The No. 9 became available and it was offered to me. We travelled by train back then, and guys with higher numbers got the top bunk on the sleeper car. No. 9 meant I got a lower berth on the train, which was much nicer than crawling into the top bunk.

WG: A lot of WHA teams played in non-traditional markets, where fans knew little about the game and teams tried all sorts of unusual gimmicks to fill their rinks. We saw some pretty interesting things back then. What was the strangest thing you saw in the league?

GH: There were blue pucks, white skates and unlimited curves on sticks but the one thing I remember most was the first nickel beer night at one of our home games in Houston. There were more fights in the stands than there were on the ice. The fans even jumped out of the stands to fight the referees as they left the ice between periods. I had to go across to the referees' locker-room and ask them to finish the game, promising it would not happen again. Funny we didn't get any penalties in the third period.

WG: You played the game for decades without a helmet. Though you did have a couple of serious injuries, that is still a remarkable streak. Today, a player without a helmet might not make it through a single game without a head injury. Do you think that says something about respect between players in the NHL today?

GH: It seems there could be a lack of respect amongst players but I think the game is just very competitive. The obstruction rule changes, stopping the hooking and holding has made the game much faster, and probably more dangerous. The equipment is much more protective with more hard plastic that can be used as an offensive weapon when checking someone. Players nowadays turn their backs to you when you approach to check them. This is something we would never have done. You were taught never to turn your back on a checker, as you end up going face-first into the boards. You can end up with stitches, lost teeth, separated shoulders or much worse like neck or back injuries. With the cycling of the puck and trying to draw penalties turning your back to the play is the norm now. The other thing is in the middle of the ice guys skate with their heads down or looking behind them as they cross the ice waiting for a pass. This is a good way to wake up on the ice with the trainer staring down at you. With the new rules players are not expecting to get hit in the centre-ice areas, which makes them more vulnerable. Still, I see that a lot of the time, the defensive team passes up these hits, maybe even the majority of them. That tells me there is still respect between players.
senate wrote:As goes the Canadian Senate, so go the Ottawa Senators.
Germz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 117 times
Received rep: 88 times

Post #2 by Germz » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:47 am

[video=youtube;Is606p_KmBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is606p_KmBE[/video]
senate wrote:As goes the Canadian Senate, so go the Ottawa Senators.
Shawnathan Horcoff
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 514 times
Received rep: 681 times

Post #3 by Shawnathan Horcoff » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:54 am

:busky:
Shawnathan Horcoff
Registered Broad

Post #4 by Shawnathan Horcoff » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:55 am

[CENTER]Wayne "The Great One" Gretzky[/CENTER]
Shawnathan Horcoff
Registered Broad

Post #5 by Shawnathan Horcoff » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:56 am

Thanksgiving Saturdays are for Kids in the Hall...

and Wayne "The Great One" Gretzky and the boys.
PredsFan77
Has given rep: 131 times
Received rep: 376 times

Post #6 by PredsFan77 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:57 am

Gretz shoulda asked which hand he jerked off with
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
PPJ
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 79 times
Received rep: 126 times

Post #7 by PPJ » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:38 pm

Gretzky should have asked how does it feel that a skinny little runt demolished most of his records.
mcphee
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 164 times
Received rep: 381 times

Post #8 by mcphee » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:01 am

Anyone see the video of Gordie Howe watching the Wings fans chanting his name ? Post debilitating stroke, I'm pretty sure he can take me
PPJ
Registered Broad

Post #9 by PPJ » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:39 pm

mcphee wrote:Anyone see the video of Gordie Howe watching the Wings fans chanting his name ? Post debilitating stroke, I'm pretty sure he can take me

Richards ghost could kick his ass.
mcphee
Registered Broad

Post #10 by mcphee » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:15 am

Psycho Papa Joe wrote:Richards ghost could kick his ass.

Howe and Richard never actually clashed to the best of my knowledge. Partly because they both played on the right wing, but I think both were reactionarry tough. Howe was strong and mean and The Rocket was crazy. I think Detroit was known for sending out guys to get The Rocket to explode, [Tony Leswick, I think] where with Howe, it was best to leave him alone.
AD
Has given rep: 664 times
Received rep: 734 times

Post #11 by AD » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:43 am

Way to go with those softball questions Gretz. There goes your hopes of hosting your own CNN Sunday morning political show.
PPJ
Registered Broad

Post #12 by PPJ » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:35 pm

mcphee wrote:Howe and Richard never actually clashed to the best of my knowledge. Partly because they both played on the right wing, but I think both were reactionarry tough. Howe was strong and mean and The Rocket was crazy. I think Detroit was known for sending out guys to get The Rocket to explode, [Tony Leswick, I think] where with Howe, it was best to leave him alone.

How could shoot left so he could have been a LW if he had chosen, but didn't because he'd have to go face to face with the Rocket. :colbert:
PPJ
Registered Broad

Post #13 by PPJ » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:38 pm

....anyways, but dad and his buddies beat the living crap out of the wings when they saw them at a watering hole in Montreal back in the early 50's after a game. That Detroit team never won another cup after that.

Or so my dad told me after having a few too many wobbly pops.
mcphee
Registered Broad

Post #14 by mcphee » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:08 am

Psycho Papa Joe wrote:....anyways, but dad and his buddies beat the living crap out of the wings when they saw them at a watering hole in Montreal back in the early 50's after a game. That Detroit team never won another cup after that.

Or so my dad told me after having a few too many wobbly pops.

My Uncle, Dad's youngest brother, in his mid 80's, used to sell programs at the Forum. From the way he tells it, they'd get the programs earlier in the day, and he'd go off the grounds to sell them. Adams , when Detroit was in town, would always buy a pile of them. No idea what he wanted them for, but he'd always reserve some for him. What Unc referred to as the The Forum Tavern, not sure which that was, was popular for the players. He told me about Adams getting his programs then sending him into the Tavern to rtrieve Ted Lindsay. 'Go find Mr. Lindsay, and tell him I want to see him'. He said their was a tableful full of quarts and a hammered Ted Lindsay. He told me that Lindsay got 2 goals and an assist that night.
PPJ
Registered Broad

Post #15 by PPJ » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:56 pm

Gordie:

Wayne:

clawfirst
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 280 times
Received rep: 467 times

Post #16 by clawfirst » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:19 am