Nords

From the Creamery Kings to the Salary Cap....
LeafErikson
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 81 times
Received rep: 137 times

Nords

Post #1 by LeafErikson » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:52 am

I thought this was really cool.

mcphee
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 161 times
Received rep: 355 times

Re: Nords

Post #2 by mcphee » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:47 am

At about the 4.20 mark, you'll see a big afro/moustachioed guy who I believe is Allan Globensky. In the little suburb I'm from, he was big news at the time. Best football player, best hockey player, toughest guy. He made the Junior Canadiens but he just wasn't a good enough player, but he was tough, making him a situational type of player. He had some legendary battles with the Marlies Steve Durbano as I remember. I don't know if the Marlies ever sold out the Gardens but the Jr Habs were in a period where they would often sell out. The Gobber became a folk hero, I suppose 18000 people screaming On Veut Glo Ben Sky can do that.

I don't know much of his pro story, I vaguely remember that he wasn't suited to be a Phlly type side show fighter, but he wasn't going to make it as a skilled player.

I can remember watching the Nords games on Sunday nights. I was a hockey history junkie and seeing the Rocket behind the bench was a thrill for me. JC Tremblay never seemed to leave the ice. I don' think the Rocket lasted far into the season though, he wasn't suited to coaching in any way/
LeafErikson
Registered Broad

Post #3 by LeafErikson » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:26 pm

At some point in the doc they mention Richard only lasted 2 weeks as coach. I was a bit shocked when I saw him. I had no idea he had any sort of association with the Nordique.
mcphee
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 161 times
Received rep: 355 times

Post #4 by mcphee » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:16 pm

LeafErikson wrote:At some point in the doc they mention Richard only lasted 2 weeks as coach. I was a bit shocked when I saw him. I had no idea he had any sort of association with the Nordique.

The Rocket didn't have a smooth relationship with the CH for a while after retirement, so it wasn't a shocker that he'd take a job with another team. I pretty well only read the English papers in those days, but I don't remember there being much of a story around him being there. Different times though, if French language talk shows made this a story, a good portion of the population knew nothing about it.
LeafErikson
Registered Broad

Post #5 by LeafErikson » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:08 pm

Man, those jerseys. I'm hoping they go with the baby blues for the new team.

Return to “Hockey's Past”