Dog containment thread

And some artists..
User avatar
IcE ColD
Registered Broad
Posts: 36066
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:37 pm
Location: Out of Purgatory
Has given rep: 42 times
Received rep: 95 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1701 by IcE ColD » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:07 pm

Dog wrote:
IcE ColD wrote:Pense m'a voté QS... juste parce que j'ai serré la main a GND tantôt.

Mon choix est fait. Jusqu'à ce que quelqu'un d'autre se présente au métro Longueuil, sti


J’ai croisé un morveux de la Caq a la station de train.

:why:


En fait, GND était avec le candidat de Marie-Victorin. Un gars a'ec une barbe qui a l'air de la garder pour paraître plus vieux.

Chu un peu déçu: aux dernières provinciales, j'avais pogné la p'tite cute du PQ. Oh well.
This whole idea that we are even important is a fucking illusion. We’re just an accident left to our own devices.

Trent Reznor - 24/07/2018
User avatar
Retardé S
Registered Broad
Posts: 19038
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:18 pm
Has given rep: 1174 times
Received rep: 1206 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1702 by Retardé S » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:13 pm

Retardé S wrote:https://votecompass.cbc.ca/quebec/

This is exactly what I was looking for, this will decide who I vote for :danson:



Well looks like it's a tie between Legault and Couillard :danson:
User avatar
AD
Posts: 69569
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:30 pm
Location: Here
Has given rep: 783 times
Received rep: 921 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1703 by AD » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:23 pm

Dog wrote:
IcE ColD wrote:Pense m'a voté QS... juste parce que j'ai serré la main a GND tantôt.

Mon choix est fait. Jusqu'à ce que quelqu'un d'autre se présente au métro Longueuil, sti


J’ai croisé un morveux de la Caq a la station de train.

:why:


T'habites à Repentigny... je m'attendais à rien de moins.
User avatar
Dog
Registered Broad
Posts: 58834
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:53 pm
Has given rep: 2055 times
Received rep: 1357 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1704 by Dog » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:43 pm

Slick Nick wrote:
Dog wrote:
Slick Nick wrote:
When you're looking for something in an article really really hard, you will eventually find it.


I think you have to look really hard not to see it. It’s right there, unambiguously, in like half a dozen quotes I posted.


Any independence project will have a large identitarian perspective... what's even your point? Obviously a Quebec independence movement is first and foremost an an ethno-linguistic project (most people also throw in some economical ideas). People don't want to be a separate political entity because they prefer lily flowers to maple leafs.

You're always trying to conflate national identity with racism and intolerance...


With racism, no. With intolerance, yes. By definition, it closes a group, in a national/bordered way, based on ethnicity.

Talk to me about shared values, shared societal projects, shared ideals, shared economies/markets, shared etc...

Shared ethnicity and not much else...not ao much. Heck, even shared ethnicity even if it goes against other more rational objectives....and I gotta ask....why?

I can understand if the culture is treatened and political sovereignty needed to preserve it. I can understand if there is abuse or oppression. I can’t understand it in its own right. As a goal in of itself, even when otherwise preserved, even if otherwise better...simply out of a belief that ethnicity needs a state.
User avatar
Dog
Registered Broad
Posts: 58834
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:53 pm
Has given rep: 2055 times
Received rep: 1357 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1705 by Dog » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:45 pm

AD wrote:
Dog wrote:
IcE ColD wrote:Pense m'a voté QS... juste parce que j'ai serré la main a GND tantôt.

Mon choix est fait. Jusqu'à ce que quelqu'un d'autre se présente au métro Longueuil, sti


J’ai croisé un morveux de la Caq a la station de train.

:why:


T'habites à Repentigny... je m'attendais à rien de moins.


En banlieu de Repentigny.

:crossarms:
User avatar
shredz
Registered Broad
Posts: 9125
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:31 pm
Location: Rock Bottom, NY
Has given rep: 2224 times
Received rep: 1056 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1706 by shredz » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:50 pm

Hey guys, just dropping by with a video that would scare the bejesus out of almost every parent :)

User avatar
Retardé S
Registered Broad
Posts: 19038
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:18 pm
Has given rep: 1174 times
Received rep: 1206 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1707 by Retardé S » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:53 pm

She was clearly drunk. She did well letting the kids drive.
User avatar
shredz
Registered Broad
Posts: 9125
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:31 pm
Location: Rock Bottom, NY
Has given rep: 2224 times
Received rep: 1056 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1708 by shredz » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:59 pm

Image
User avatar
IcE ColD
Registered Broad
Posts: 36066
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:37 pm
Location: Out of Purgatory
Has given rep: 42 times
Received rep: 95 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1709 by IcE ColD » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:24 pm

Dog wrote:
AD wrote:
Dog wrote:
J’ai croisé un morveux de la Caq a la station de train.

:why:


T'habites à Repentigny... je m'attendais à rien de moins.


En banlieu de Repentigny.

:crossarms:


Repentigny-sur-le-pas-d'Lac
This whole idea that we are even important is a fucking illusion. We’re just an accident left to our own devices.

Trent Reznor - 24/07/2018
User avatar
Slick Nick
Registered Broad
Posts: 9818
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:40 pm
Has given rep: 1332 times
Received rep: 844 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1710 by Slick Nick » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:27 pm

Dog wrote:
With racism, no. With intolerance, yes. By definition, it closes a group, in a national/bordered way, based on ethnicity.


Nothing wrong with that. There are 193 UN recognized countries most of which are based on the principle of self-determination of peoples. Portugal is one, just like Lebanon, Syria, Panama and Russia... having a 194th member doesn't make in any way or shape an intolerant place.

Talk to me about shared values, shared societal projects, shared ideals, shared economies/markets, shared etc...


Have you ever even listened to an independentist point of view?

Shared ethnicity and not much else...not ao much. Heck, even shared ethnicity even if it goes against other more rational objectives....and I gotta ask....why?


You can say that you're not in favor of a split with Canada, but trying to portray independentists as a bunch of inbred retards who want to build a fence around their ethnically pure state is outright dishonest.

I can understand if the culture is treatened and political sovereignty needed to preserve it. I can understand if there is abuse or oppression. I can’t understand it in its own right. As a goal in of itself, even when otherwise preserved, even if otherwise better...simply out of a belief that ethnicity needs a state.


You keep conflating independance with intolerance and racism and whatnot. We had experience with violent separatism (FLQ), we've rejected it. We had experience with non-inclusive separatism (Parizeau's statements), we've rejected it. A modern approach to independence is an all inclusive model based the importance of preserving le fait français en Amérique. It's also about the proximity of decision making and the ability to fully control the necessary levers to create a more harmonious and prosperous society.

You can say you don't believe in it, but just stop saying it's about evil nazis trying to preserve the purity of their nation... I don't even know why I should be explaining this to a smart person like you.
User avatar
AD
Posts: 69569
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:30 pm
Location: Here
Has given rep: 783 times
Received rep: 921 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1711 by AD » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:32 pm

He's not saying that Nick. You've completely misunderstood the dog's point.

He's saying Bock-Côté and his ilk are intolerant. Not all separatists. Just the ones that are ethno-nationalist separatists (and are fighting the inclusive ones like you actually).
User avatar
AD
Posts: 69569
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:30 pm
Location: Here
Has given rep: 783 times
Received rep: 921 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1712 by AD » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:34 pm

The article posted literally was positioning the leftist separatists in one corner, to be battled by the ethnic protection separatists.
User avatar
Slick Nick
Registered Broad
Posts: 9818
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:40 pm
Has given rep: 1332 times
Received rep: 844 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1713 by Slick Nick » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:39 pm

AD wrote:He's not saying that Nick. You've completely misunderstood the dog's point.

He's saying Bock-Côté and his ilk are intolerant. Not all separatists. Just the ones that are ethno-nationalist separatists (and are fighting the inclusive ones like you actually).


All separatists are at some level ethno-linguistic-nationalists. You just can't be for the creation of a new state without basing it in some sort of national historical context and symbolism.
User avatar
Craig
Registered Broad
Posts: 39993
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Toronto
Has given rep: 44 times
Received rep: 485 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1714 by Craig » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:39 pm

Dog has repeated that point a bunch of times. He's literally saying he doesn't mind separatists, he just doesn't like the evil Nazi ones who do it solely out of ethnic nationalism. Doggo wants a pragmatic reason to separate.
User avatar
AD
Posts: 69569
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:30 pm
Location: Here
Has given rep: 783 times
Received rep: 921 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1715 by AD » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:45 pm

Slick Nick wrote:
AD wrote:He's not saying that Nick. You've completely misunderstood the dog's point.

He's saying Bock-Côté and his ilk are intolerant. Not all separatists. Just the ones that are ethno-nationalist separatists (and are fighting the inclusive ones like you actually).


All separatists are at some level ethno-linguistic-nationalists. You just can't be for the creation of a new state without basing it in some sort of national historical context and symbolism.


You can be generally in favour of the protection of an ethnic identity and also for closer government and more direct representation and control of budget and shit. See e.g. Scotland.

Or in other instances the only possible way of the survival of a people is through self determination. See e.g. Kurdistan.

The dog is probably for both those positions.

And he's not calling QuebSolidaire Nazis.

So where are you coming from when you portray him as intolerant of all separatists?
User avatar
Slick Nick
Registered Broad
Posts: 9818
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:40 pm
Has given rep: 1332 times
Received rep: 844 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1716 by Slick Nick » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:48 pm

AD wrote:The article posted literally was positioning the leftist separatists in one corner, to be battled by the ethnic protection separatists.


This is literally the conclusion of the article where sums it up:

Mais les péquistes, tôt ou tard, devront se poser une question simple: comment ramener vers eux les votes souverainistes sincères captés pour l’instant par QS? Comment ramener vers eux ceux qui peuvent voter pour QS mais qui ne se reconnaissent pas dans sa tradition politique non plus que dans ses obsessions idéologiques? Comment ramener vers eux les péquistes de gauche, les souverainistes protestataires, les électeurs déçus ou en colère, qui ne sont pas pour autant liés idéologiquement à la gauche radicale?


The whole point of the article is about the ideological rift between two parties that share a sovereigist point of view...
User avatar
AD
Posts: 69569
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:30 pm
Location: Here
Has given rep: 783 times
Received rep: 921 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1717 by AD » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:50 pm

Slick Nick wrote:
AD wrote:The article posted literally was positioning the leftist separatists in one corner, to be battled by the ethnic protection separatists.


This is literally the conclusion of the article where sums it up:

Mais les péquistes, tôt ou tard, devront se poser une question simple: comment ramener vers eux les votes souverainistes sincères captés pour l’instant par QS? Comment ramener vers eux ceux qui peuvent voter pour QS mais qui ne se reconnaissent pas dans sa tradition politique non plus que dans ses obsessions idéologiques? Comment ramener vers eux les péquistes de gauche, les souverainistes protestataires, les électeurs déçus ou en colère, qui ne sont pas pour autant liés idéologiquement à la gauche radicale?


The whole point of the article is about the ideological rift between two parties that share a sovereigist point of view...


Yes exactly. And the dog doesn't mind the liberal one and despises ethno-nationalist one.
User avatar
Slick Nick
Registered Broad
Posts: 9818
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:40 pm
Has given rep: 1332 times
Received rep: 844 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1718 by Slick Nick » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:52 pm

Craig wrote:Dog has repeated that point a bunch of times. He's literally saying he doesn't mind separatists, he just doesn't like the evil Nazi ones who do it solely out of ethnic nationalism. Doggo wants a pragmatic reason to separate.


Name me one instance in history where independence was achieved on a pragmatic reason... it's always based at some level in national identity questions. If you discredit national identitarians as racists, you discredit every independence movement ever in the history of mankind as racist nazis.

That really doesn't do much except trying to muzzle your opponents because you disagree with them.
User avatar
AD
Posts: 69569
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:30 pm
Location: Here
Has given rep: 783 times
Received rep: 921 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1719 by AD » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:56 pm

I think Quebec separatism movement was largely necessary in the 60s and 70s.
I also think it was largely successful.

The province now controls it's linguistic, cultural, immigration rules. Huge parts of its taxes. And gas direct communication with the world (especially since the erosion of the nation state over the last 20 years).

So no wonder many of the people still calling for separation considering all that are doing it for more extreme views. QS, Bock-Côté, etc.

The soft nationalist (like me) is no longer a separatist these days. It's just no longer needed.
User avatar
AD
Posts: 69569
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:30 pm
Location: Here
Has given rep: 783 times
Received rep: 921 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1720 by AD » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:58 pm

Slick Nick wrote:
Craig wrote:Dog has repeated that point a bunch of times. He's literally saying he doesn't mind separatists, he just doesn't like the evil Nazi ones who do it solely out of ethnic nationalism. Doggo wants a pragmatic reason to separate.


Name me one instance in history where independence was achieved on a pragmatic reason... it's always based at some level in national identity questions. If you discredit national identitarians as racists, you discredit every independence movement ever in the history of mankind as racist nazis.

That really doesn't do much except trying to muzzle your opponents because you disagree with them.


Err... Canada. The US.

That's two examples and I haven't even looked that far away from my appartment.

Funny enough, the US tried to split from itself based on not ethnic nationalism.
User avatar
Slick Nick
Registered Broad
Posts: 9818
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:40 pm
Has given rep: 1332 times
Received rep: 844 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1721 by Slick Nick » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:01 pm

AD wrote:I think Quebec separatism movement was largely necessary in the 60s and 70s.
I also think it was largely successful.

The province now controls it's linguistic, cultural, immigration rules. Huge parts of its taxes. And gas direct communication with the world (especially since the erosion of the nation state over the last 20 years).

So no wonder many of the people still calling for separation considering all that are doing it for more extreme views. QS, Bock-Côté, etc.

The soft nationalist (like me) is no longer a separatist these days. It's just no longer needed.


I'm perfectly fine with your point of view... I tend to think we would be better of with 100% of the powers, but as I said many times previously.. I think Canada is great country and I don't mind being part of it, things work well. But I do think that the french language and culture will always be in a position of vulnerability and that we're probably not doing enough to protect it.

I fear that 25 years from now we'll wake up in a Montreal where 75% of the people speak english and where french has become a regional language on it's way out.. it happened all over North America. I don't want it to happen here.
User avatar
Slick Nick
Registered Broad
Posts: 9818
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:40 pm
Has given rep: 1332 times
Received rep: 844 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1722 by Slick Nick » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:05 pm

AD wrote:
Slick Nick wrote:
Craig wrote:Dog has repeated that point a bunch of times. He's literally saying he doesn't mind separatists, he just doesn't like the evil Nazi ones who do it solely out of ethnic nationalism. Doggo wants a pragmatic reason to separate.


Name me one instance in history where independence was achieved on a pragmatic reason... it's always based at some level in national identity questions. If you discredit national identitarians as racists, you discredit every independence movement ever in the history of mankind as racist nazis.

That really doesn't do much except trying to muzzle your opponents because you disagree with them.


Err... Canada. The US.

That's two examples and I haven't even looked that far away from my appartment.

Funny enough, the US tried to split from itself based on not ethnic nationalism.


I said national identity not ethno-nationalism..
User avatar
AD
Posts: 69569
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:30 pm
Location: Here
Has given rep: 783 times
Received rep: 921 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1723 by AD » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:11 pm

National identification is fine Nick. We're all pretty ok with it at various levels.

I am more of a nationalist than dog but even he can't deny some form of "appartenance".

But when you read some guys on the right (and Bock-Côté is one of the worse) they portray it as if the franco-quebec identity is being terrorized by Haitiens, Moslems, Anglophones etc. That fear-stoking is frankly kinda gross.

I mean.. I hate the Anglos as much as the next guy. But we're not beating them by closing off our borders to Ontario.
User avatar
Retardé S
Registered Broad
Posts: 19038
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:18 pm
Has given rep: 1174 times
Received rep: 1206 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1724 by Retardé S » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:11 pm

AD wrote:The article posted literally was positioning the leftist separatists in one corner, to be battled by the ethnic protection separatists.


I don't see how the article is as confrontational as you describe it. Perhaps he describes what could be seen by some as a myopic view of the QS and their ideology, but he's not really pretending he comes from a neutral standpoint either. It's not like the other side of the political spectrum is innocent in doing the same thing neither.

It's not a hit piece on the QS or a manifesto of what the péquiste ought to be.

In the article he implies that the PQ is composed of language protectionists, nationalistic Identitarians and historic independents. Not that he is that, or that the PQ is neither all one or another, so why the need to label the article as ethno-nationalistic?

The mistake is often assigning one ideology to an entire electorate, and I think the article does a fine job at avoiding that.
User avatar
AD
Posts: 69569
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:30 pm
Location: Here
Has given rep: 783 times
Received rep: 921 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1725 by AD » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:13 pm

RRS. Go read a dozen Bock-Côté articles then come back.
User avatar
Retardé S
Registered Broad
Posts: 19038
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:18 pm
Has given rep: 1174 times
Received rep: 1206 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1726 by Retardé S » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:24 pm

AD wrote:RRS. Go read a dozen Bock-Côté articles then come back.


I'm not that prejudiced on opinions. So I'm pretty sure it wont change my mind on the actual article. Maybe the person who wrote it, but I don't care enough for that.

Hell, I was pretty sure I'd completely tune out Manon Massé, but she's made some interesting points about labor shortage in the english debate.
User avatar
Retardé S
Registered Broad
Posts: 19038
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:18 pm
Has given rep: 1174 times
Received rep: 1206 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1727 by Retardé S » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:26 pm

I'm scramming through the last few months of Quebec politics :danson:
User avatar
Slick Nick
Registered Broad
Posts: 9818
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:40 pm
Has given rep: 1332 times
Received rep: 844 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1728 by Slick Nick » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:28 pm

AD wrote:National identification is fine Nick. We're all pretty ok with it at various levels.

I am more of a nationalist than dog but even he can't deny some form of "appartenance".

But when you read some guys on the right (and Bock-Côté is one of the worse) they portray it as if the franco-quebec identity is being terrorized by Haitiens, Moslems, Anglophones etc. That fear-stoking is frankly kinda gross.

I mean.. I hate the Anglos as much as the next guy. But we're not beating them by closing off our borders to Ontario.


As I said, I'm not a avid speratisse or MBC reader.. I haven't encountered particularly outrageous identitarian positions from him. Immigration and integration should be topics we freely discuss. There's a limit to the number of people a society can receive and properly integrate.. we should be able to talk about those important issues.. but everytime we try, the debate gets hijacked by xenophobes on one side and the wokest people on the other. I don't think MBC is exactly on the same level as Herouxville mayor either.
User avatar
Slick Nick
Registered Broad
Posts: 9818
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:40 pm
Has given rep: 1332 times
Received rep: 844 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1729 by Slick Nick » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:30 pm

Retardé S wrote:
AD wrote:RRS. Go read a dozen Bock-Côté articles then come back.


I'm not that prejudiced on opinions. So I'm pretty sure it wont change my mind on the actual article. Maybe the person who wrote it, but I don't care enough for that.

Hell, I was pretty sure I'd completely tune out Manon Massé, but she's made some interesting points about labor shortage in the english debate.


Commies are extremely efficient at analyzing society and figuring out flaws. It's their solutions that are usually worse than the original problem.
User avatar
AD
Posts: 69569
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:30 pm
Location: Here
Has given rep: 783 times
Received rep: 921 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1730 by AD » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:32 pm

Right. And I'm not portraying as such.

But read the dog's position on this. He constantly talks about the need for measured immigration and integration and dismisses the woke open borders people. I'm just reacting to your reaction to him is all.
User avatar
Retardé S
Registered Broad
Posts: 19038
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:18 pm
Has given rep: 1174 times
Received rep: 1206 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1731 by Retardé S » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:46 pm

AD wrote:Right. And I'm not portraying as such.

But read the dog's position on this. He constantly talks about the need for measured immigration and integration and dismisses the woke open borders people. I'm just reacting to your reaction to him is all.


I think we all agree that both sides are retarded. I just think Doggo reaches to ascribe the ethno-nationalistic label on this one. Just like he did with my god-emperor Donald.
User avatar
Dog
Registered Broad
Posts: 58834
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:53 pm
Has given rep: 2055 times
Received rep: 1357 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1732 by Dog » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:47 pm

Slick Nick wrote:I fear that 25 years from now we'll wake up in a Montreal where 75% of the people speak english and where french has become a regional language on it's way out.. it happened all over North America. I don't want it to happen here.


Let’s get to this, because I think cultural preservation/flourishing is valid.

What powers does Quebec the province lack that Quebec the country would have that would prevent the above scenario (that I don’t believe realistic, but that’s besides the point).

Like the banana said and I’ve also said many times, I can understand Quebec nationalism up to the 70s/80s. After the aftermath of the revolution tranquille (ie. seizure of economic power by the franco majority) and in the current state of Canadian federalism....i don’t get it anymore.

The threat, if any, to Quebec culture is a cultural one (mainly from the US hegemon), not a political theeat from Ottawa. Further, I don’t see what powers Quebec currently lacks that it would need to protect/promote its identity.

This is what grids my gears. I can’t, for the life of me, find a “valid” (ie. non self referring nationalist sentiment) reason for it. For like 30 years I’ve been asking to be convinced. Why?
User avatar
Dog
Registered Broad
Posts: 58834
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:53 pm
Has given rep: 2055 times
Received rep: 1357 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1733 by Dog » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:50 pm

Retardé S wrote:I just think Doggo reaches to ascribe the ethno-nationalistic label on this one.


In his article, the one we are discussing, MBC litterally refers to it himself as “nationalism-identitaire”. How in the world am I reaching by calling it ethno-nationalism? It’s literally the argument he’s making, and he’s bot trying to mask it. He’s unapologetic about it. It’s what he does. More troubling to me is this blindness to it some seem to have. I mean, argue for ethni-nationalism if ya wanna...but don’t pretend that’s not his argument when that’s literally what he’s saying in an open manner in so many words. Repeatedly.
User avatar
Craig
Registered Broad
Posts: 39993
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Toronto
Has given rep: 44 times
Received rep: 485 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1734 by Craig » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:52 pm

Slick Nick wrote:
Craig wrote:Dog has repeated that point a bunch of times. He's literally saying he doesn't mind separatists, he just doesn't like the evil Nazi ones who do it solely out of ethnic nationalism. Doggo wants a pragmatic reason to separate.


Name me one instance in history where independence was achieved on a pragmatic reason... it's always based at some level in national identity questions. If you discredit national identitarians as racists, you discredit every independence movement ever in the history of mankind as racist nazis.

That really doesn't do much except trying to muzzle your opponents because you disagree with them.


Obviously a national identity is involved when... forming a nation. But there are tons and tons of examples where independence was sought due to legitimate pragmatic needs for some group, rather than simply because the group existed. Americans had taxation without representation, for example.

Dog isn't discrediting every separatist who feels a national identity as a Nazi, he's discrediting people who want to separate solely because they feel that national identity and who don't want to let other people in to that identity as Nazis.
User avatar
Dog
Registered Broad
Posts: 58834
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:53 pm
Has given rep: 2055 times
Received rep: 1357 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1735 by Dog » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:57 pm

I think the desire to form a country is valid for many, many reasons, including oppression, mis or non- representation, marked differences in economic or social projects, etc. All kinds. I just don’t like separatism for purely ethnic related reasons absent other compeling reasons. Because, wtf is that? When other forms are mutually beneficial and respectful of regional/cultural differences...why is that not good? I don’t like being clannish for the sole sake of being clannish.
User avatar
Slick Nick
Registered Broad
Posts: 9818
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:40 pm
Has given rep: 1332 times
Received rep: 844 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1736 by Slick Nick » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:58 pm

Dog wrote:
Slick Nick wrote:I fear that 25 years from now we'll wake up in a Montreal where 75% of the people speak english and where french has become a regional language on it's way out.. it happened all over North America. I don't want it to happen here.


Let’s get to this, because I think cultural preservation/flourishing is valid.

What powers does Quebec the province lack that Quebec the country would have that would prevent the above scenario (that I don’t believe realistic, but that’s besides the point).

Like the banana said and I’ve also said many times, I can understand Quebec nationalism up to the 70s/80s. After the aftermath of the revolution tranquille (ie. seizure of economic power by the franco majority) and in the current state of Canadian federalism....i don’t get it anymore.

The threat, if any, to Quebec culture is a cultural one (mainly from the US hegemon), not a political theeat from Ottawa. Further, I don’t see what powers Quebec currently lacks that it would need to protect/promote its identity.

This is what grids my chops. I can’t, for the life of me, find a “valid” (ie. non self referinf nationalist sentiment) reason for it. For like 30 years I’ve been asking to be convinced. Why?


I'm not going through a lengthy independence debate.. let's just agree to disagree.
User avatar
Retardé S
Registered Broad
Posts: 19038
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:18 pm
Has given rep: 1174 times
Received rep: 1206 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1737 by Retardé S » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:58 pm

Dog wrote:
Retardé S wrote:I just think Doggo reaches to ascribe the ethno-nationalistic label on this one.


In his article, the one we are discussing, MBC litterally refers to it himself as “nationalism-identitaire”. How in the world am I reaching by calling it ethno-nationalism? It’s literally the argument he’s making, and he’s bot trying to mask it. He’s unapologetic about it. It’s what he does. More troubling to me is this blindness to it some seem to have. I mean, argue for ethni-nationalism if ya wanna...but don’t pretend that’s not his argument when that’s literally what he’s saying.


He's not calling himself that though. He's listing it amongst the ideologies in the PQ. My problem with the ethno-nationalism label is that it implies race just as much as religion, culture ect. which is not something he refers to at all in this article. The identity of the PQ is not as strict as ethno-nationalism, and he's not making the case for it, so why do you feel the need to assign him that label?

Are you assigning someone a belief so that you can yell at them?
User avatar
Mufasa
Registered Broad
Posts: 44922
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:45 pm
Location: Sous une roche
Has given rep: 628 times
Received rep: 1045 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1738 by Mufasa » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:00 pm

I wonder what will you guys call the actual Nazis when they come back.
User avatar
Dog
Registered Broad
Posts: 58834
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:53 pm
Has given rep: 2055 times
Received rep: 1357 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1739 by Dog » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:01 pm

Slick Nick wrote:
Dog wrote:
Slick Nick wrote:I fear that 25 years from now we'll wake up in a Montreal where 75% of the people speak english and where french has become a regional language on it's way out.. it happened all over North America. I don't want it to happen here.


Let’s get to this, because I think cultural preservation/flourishing is valid.

What powers does Quebec the province lack that Quebec the country would have that would prevent the above scenario (that I don’t believe realistic, but that’s besides the point).

Like the banana said and I’ve also said many times, I can understand Quebec nationalism up to the 70s/80s. After the aftermath of the revolution tranquille (ie. seizure of economic power by the franco majority) and in the current state of Canadian federalism....i don’t get it anymore.

The threat, if any, to Quebec culture is a cultural one (mainly from the US hegemon), not a political theeat from Ottawa. Further, I don’t see what powers Quebec currently lacks that it would need to protect/promote its identity.

This is what grids my chops. I can’t, for the life of me, find a “valid” (ie. non self referinf nationalist sentiment) reason for it. For like 30 years I’ve been asking to be convinced. Why?


I'm not going through a lengthy independence debate.. let's just agree to disagree.


Okey dokey. The lack of argument beyond the ethnic one is the reason I never sympathized, though. I’ve been asking since forever.
User avatar
Dog
Registered Broad
Posts: 58834
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:53 pm
Has given rep: 2055 times
Received rep: 1357 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1740 by Dog » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:01 pm

Mufasa wrote:I wonder what will you guys call the actual Nazis when they come back.


Neo-nazis?
User avatar
Craig
Registered Broad
Posts: 39993
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Toronto
Has given rep: 44 times
Received rep: 485 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1741 by Craig » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:02 pm

Nazis, probably.
User avatar
Dog
Registered Broad
Posts: 58834
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:53 pm
Has given rep: 2055 times
Received rep: 1357 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1742 by Dog » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:02 pm

And did retarded say I exaggerated by calling Trump an authoritarian/fascist wannabe playing the race card? Lol.
User avatar
Craig
Registered Broad
Posts: 39993
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Toronto
Has given rep: 44 times
Received rep: 485 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1743 by Craig » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:03 pm

Dog wrote:
Mufasa wrote:I wonder what will you guys call the actual Nazis when they come back.


Neo-nazis?


Oh, that's a better answer. I feel humbled.
User avatar
AD
Posts: 69569
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:30 pm
Location: Here
Has given rep: 783 times
Received rep: 921 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1744 by AD » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:05 pm

Shut up guys. Nick and I settled this 30 minutes ago.
User avatar
Mufasa
Registered Broad
Posts: 44922
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:45 pm
Location: Sous une roche
Has given rep: 628 times
Received rep: 1045 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1745 by Mufasa » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:05 pm

I'm going on a limb and predict you'll call them monsieur .
User avatar
Retardé S
Registered Broad
Posts: 19038
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:18 pm
Has given rep: 1174 times
Received rep: 1206 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1746 by Retardé S » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:05 pm

Dog wrote:And did retarded say I exaggerated by calling Trump an authoritarian/fascist wannabe playing the race card? Lol.

Nah you called him a fascist. Fascist wannabe is a new one. By the end of 2024 it will be something else. :trump:
User avatar
AD
Posts: 69569
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:30 pm
Location: Here
Has given rep: 783 times
Received rep: 921 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1747 by AD » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:06 pm

I said shut up.

:colbert:
User avatar
Mufasa
Registered Broad
Posts: 44922
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:45 pm
Location: Sous une roche
Has given rep: 628 times
Received rep: 1045 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1748 by Mufasa » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:06 pm

Yes guys, Trump is a fascist.

:rolleyes:
User avatar
Slick Nick
Registered Broad
Posts: 9818
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:40 pm
Has given rep: 1332 times
Received rep: 844 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1749 by Slick Nick » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:08 pm

Dog wrote:
Slick Nick wrote:
Dog wrote:
Let’s get to this, because I think cultural preservation/flourishing is valid.

What powers does Quebec the province lack that Quebec the country would have that would prevent the above scenario (that I don’t believe realistic, but that’s besides the point).

Like the banana said and I’ve also said many times, I can understand Quebec nationalism up to the 70s/80s. After the aftermath of the revolution tranquille (ie. seizure of economic power by the franco majority) and in the current state of Canadian federalism....i don’t get it anymore.

The threat, if any, to Quebec culture is a cultural one (mainly from the US hegemon), not a political theeat from Ottawa. Further, I don’t see what powers Quebec currently lacks that it would need to protect/promote its identity.

This is what grids my chops. I can’t, for the life of me, find a “valid” (ie. non self referinf nationalist sentiment) reason for it. For like 30 years I’ve been asking to be convinced. Why?


I'm not going through a lengthy independence debate.. let's just agree to disagree.


Okey dokey. The lack of argument beyond the ethnic one is the reason I never sympathized, though. I’ve been asking since forever.


Do you not think that an independent Quebec would be more assertive on the linguistic and cultural side of things?
User avatar
Craig
Registered Broad
Posts: 39993
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Toronto
Has given rep: 44 times
Received rep: 485 times

Re: Dog containment thread and random noises

Post #1750 by Craig » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:09 pm

I like this thing Mu does now where he disagrees with something with a condescending tone, but won't tell you specifically what or why. It reminds me of Dempsey.

Return to “The Beautiful Mens and the Whore From Smolensk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mufasa, SemrushBot and 1 guest