Miss Callaneous' Senatorial Grabuge 2

senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 251 times
Received rep: 205 times

Re: Miss Callaneous' Senatorial Grabuge 2

Post #3251 by senate » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:56 pm

Thomas Chabot and Christian Jaros have both been recalled.
Germz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 91 times
Received rep: 65 times

Post #3252 by Germz » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:41 pm

If we lose Turris, it won't be because Melnyk is cheap, but rather because our cap situation is hamstrung by the Ryan and Phaneuf contracts and the coming need to pay Karlsson and Stone. In terms of organizational depth, we don't lack for young centremen.

It would be a shame though. I think "Turry" is precisely "the kind of guy you win with." Would love for them to keep him in Ottawa long term.
Germz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 91 times
Received rep: 65 times

Post #3253 by Germz » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:53 pm

Seriously, though, if Karlsson commands $11.5 million, that's a $5M raise. I have no idea how Dorion will find room for that without offloading either Ryan or Phaneuf next season or otherwise bleeding talent.
Fruity Pebbles
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 6 times

Post #3254 by Fruity Pebbles » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:29 pm

I guess you would hope Brassard can be replaced internally by Brown or White or someone. That's 5 million.

Burrows is done at the end of his contract which is another $2.5 million.

It will be tough because Stone will get a raise, Turris will get one if he stays. Ceci will get one too. All this offseason with the contracts I mention including Karlsson coming the year after that.

With MacArthur seemingly done for good this time - I suppose in theory we could spend beyond the cap with him on IR for that one additional year?

IF we could make Sakic panic trade Duchene without giving up a significant roster player I think this would be the year to go for it all. And I'm no big fan of Duchene.

So we have about 11-12 million in space.

$5 goes to Karlsson for sake of argument. That leaves 6-7 million left.

Stone & Turris currently sit at 3.5 million and you could justify 6+ to each one.
Ceci at 2.8 million and you could justify something in the 4-5 million range given the ridiculous contracts handed out to a whole bunch of defensemen in recent years.

It's a tight situation and it's not like this team is an annual contender. Hopefully growth in the cap will save us.

Honestly WTF was Dorion thinking extending Borowiecki. The guy is not an in demand player who you can't afford to lose. He dresses 60 games in an imperfect situation and sits most of the playoffs.
ben.
Registered Broad

Post #3255 by ben. » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:35 pm

I don't mind the Boro signing at all. Compared to Burrows or Thompson it is peanuts in terms of money and gives us flexibility. We signed him to just over 1M. At that, we don't even have to blink before sending him down to Belleville with the knowledge that he will probably be claimed or be an easy trade to a team in need to depth and grit for future considerations or 3+ round pick. If he isn't, that 1M is still quite cheap compared to the higher end AHL contracts that are present these days as well as the +/- 1M tweener contracts that are often found in many farm teams all while guaranteeing home grown leadership in our farm team if ever he is sent down. It's actually pretty good asset management I believe.
Fruity Pebbles
Registered Broad

Post #3256 by Fruity Pebbles » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:48 pm

ben. wrote:I don't mind the Boro signing at all. Compared to Burrows or Thompson it is peanuts in terms of money and gives us flexibility. We signed him to just over 1M. At that, we don't even have to blink before sending him down to Belleville with the knowledge that he will probably be claimed or be an easy trade to a team in need to depth and grit for future considerations or 3+ round pick. If he isn't, that 1M is still quite cheap compared to the higher end AHL contracts that are present these days as well as the +/- 1M tweener contracts that are often found in many farm teams all while guaranteeing home grown leadership in our farm team if ever he is sent down. It's actually pretty good asset management I believe.

Fair enough. I guess my problem is more with extending him. He can't wait until June 2018?
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3257 by senate » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:34 pm

Formenton has been sent back to junior.

Chabot down to Belleville again.
MP
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 141 times
Received rep: 251 times

Post #3258 by MP » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:15 pm

I'm happy we sent Shabot down, I've like his game in sheltered minutes and his PP time, but spoon feeding him is only going to make him better.

Formenton looks to have a 2nd line upside so, Jr. is the right move here.
Ricard_Persson
Has given rep: 37 times
Received rep: 49 times

Post #3259 by Ricard_Persson » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:02 pm

Chabot should stay down for 20 straight AHL games to really get the feel of the speed change. He should play well down there which would make the jump to the NHL easier. It's important to remember how tough the NHL is. I remember how bad Karlsson was in his first year. He looked like a kid playing against men. Some leadership minutes in the AHL would be great for Chabot. I'm worried they bring him up weekly with injuries. I'd like to see him down there until December.
Skrymir
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 7 times
Received rep: 5 times

Post #3260 by Skrymir » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:20 pm

The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 202 times
Received rep: 109 times

Post #3261 by The Bytown Boozer » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:47 pm

King Clancy
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 12 times

Post #3262 by King Clancy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:42 pm

Take this for what it's worth, which is to say somewhere between a dog's fart and a dead squirrel, but I just had post hockey beers with a dude who's pretty plugged in with the Sens. He says Melnyk is selling the team next month, it's a done deal.

Melnyk is over 100M in the red and is having trouble making payroll, which would be part of the reason Alfie left. He's selling it to a group of local businesmen, and not the Cirque du Soleil dudes because being Melnyk he can't help making things personal.

This all sounds like good news to me.
Murphy
Has given rep: 18 times
Received rep: 5 times

Post #3263 by Murphy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:59 am

King Clancy wrote:Take this for what it's worth, which is to say somewhere between a dog's fart and a dead squirrel, but I just had post hockey beers with a dude who's pretty plugged in with the Sens. He says Melnyk is selling the team next month, it's a done deal.

Melnyk is over 100M in the red and is having trouble making payroll, which would be part of the reason Alfie left. He's selling it to a group of local businesmen, and not the Cirque du Soleil dudes because being Melnyk he can't help making things personal.

I wonder how that would affect Lebreton.
MP
Registered Broad

Post #3264 by MP » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:02 am

I wonder how that would affect us getting Tavares.
BlackRedGold
Registered Broad
Received rep: 3 times

Post #3265 by BlackRedGold » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:12 pm

Murphy wrote:
King Clancy wrote:Take this for what it's worth, which is to say somewhere between a dog's fart and a dead squirrel, but I just had post hockey beers with a dude who's pretty plugged in with the Sens. He says Melnyk is selling the team next month, it's a done deal.

I wonder how that would affect Lebreton.

It'd probably make things happen easier and faster.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3266 by senate » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:06 pm

Fruity Pebbles
Registered Broad

Post #3267 by Fruity Pebbles » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:07 pm

I'm fine with Melnyk owning or anyone else owning as long as they're committed to being here and the LeBreton Flats development with an arena still happens.
Ricard_Persson

Post #3268 by Ricard_Persson » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:40 pm

It seems like that arena talk has really fizzled. I kind of laughed when they said they wanted to be playing there in 2021. I think 2031 will be more like it, if ever. In typical Senators fashion, I could see the entire deal falling apart with melnyk looking for more freebies.

At that point the entire fan base would be disappointed.

I think a lot has to do with the drop in attendance regarding the news of them moving. I'd like to see the attendance charted against the news coming out about a move downtown. I think mentally, it affected fans on both sides. For the west Enders you get the news and it's like your favourite neighbour is moving. Like damn, I'm going to miss that guy, why are they moving, I thought we had something. It's like the Kanata people just said screw em if this place isn't good enough, I'm done. I'll watch on tv to make the break up easier.

Then the other side is the east side fans saying screw em, I'll wait a couple years then buy tickets when the drive takes a third of the time. I'll watch on tv until then.

I really think a lot of the attendance issue happened after the team said they need to move. The west saw it as a slap in the face I'm sure. Who wouldn't miss a 15 minute drive to a game.
BlackRedGold
Registered Broad

Post #3269 by BlackRedGold » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:59 pm

Ricard_Persson wrote:It seems like that arena talk has really fizzled. I kind of laughed when they said they wanted to be playing there in 2021. I think 2031 will be more like it, if ever. In typical Senators fashion, I could see the entire deal falling apart with melnyk looking for more freebies.

The arena was a big part of Ottawa's proposal for Amazon's HQ2.
Fruity Pebbles
Registered Broad

Post #3270 by Fruity Pebbles » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:54 am

BlackRedGold wrote:
Ricard_Persson wrote:It seems like that arena talk has really fizzled. I kind of laughed when they said they wanted to be playing there in 2021. I think 2031 will be more like it, if ever. In typical Senators fashion, I could see the entire deal falling apart with melnyk looking for more freebies.

The arena was a big part of Ottawa's proposal for Amazon's HQ2.

It would be interesting to know if we made a pitch - and if we did, how we made a pitch. Giant piece of land in the heart of Ottawa being developed. You could put in all the state of the art technology into these brand new buildings that Amazon would want. Housing for the workers right there. Beautiful nature and environmental shit in the area and across the river for those types of weak kneed winners. A new hopefully world-class arena to host bigger events than in the past. Family friendly city. We also have a lot of current and former tech sector workers here in Ottawa - and many who left who might not mind coming back to Ottawa if Amazon showed up, offered them work and provided stability.

I didn't follow the Amazon thing at all so I'm unsure if you're being serious or facetious.

I doubt we would win anyways but we have a more compelling case than most other mid/small sized cities. I expect a giant US city or Toronto to win.

As for Melnyk hoping to play by 2021 or 2023 or whatever it was - yeah that's a pipedream. The NCC works at a snails pace and will likely fight him on everything. That's not to slam the NCC - Melnyk will try to milk whatever he can and you can't bend over and accept it.

We're nearing the end of the NCC's timeline for 'negotiations' and 'aboriginal consultations'. I do hope it does continue to move forward. It would suck to have to push the reset, go with the second proponent, delay another 5-10 years and then maybe they're successful... because if not we are back to where things were 50 years ago.
BlackRedGold
Registered Broad

Post #3271 by BlackRedGold » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:08 pm

TGR
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 13 times
Received rep: 21 times

Post #3272 by TGR » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:07 pm

Bring on the drones.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3273 by senate » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:45 am

I really don't get Dorion's fixation on Matt Duchene, especially if it requires a lateral move in subtracting Turris.
FH2002
Registered Broad
Received rep: 18 times

Post #3274 by FH2002 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:50 am

Especially since Stone, Duchene and Karlsson are all going to needs contracts at the same time.
Ricard_Persson

Post #3275 by Ricard_Persson » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:10 pm

Can’t see how this can’t be a negative if no deal goes down. Must be kind of awkward at the rink right now getting ready to play this afternoon.
Fruity Pebbles
Registered Broad

Post #3276 by Fruity Pebbles » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:23 pm

It is strange when you consider that Turris has scored some key goals for us and been involved in setting up other key goals.

If Dorion's goal is to make another push for a deep playoff run this year - why Duchene over Turris?
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 193 times
Received rep: 122 times

Post #3277 by mayoradamwest » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:51 pm

Turris for Duchene does make some sense. Fin hore going to lose him for nothing, keeping the floor of the talent at The same level for another couple years helps.

It does nothing for this year though....
TGR
Registered Broad

Post #3278 by TGR » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:45 pm

Duchene over Turris is an improvement, but how much of one? While Turris isn't a slow skater, Duchene is much faster.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3279 by senate » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:45 pm

Duchene has apparently been traded. Question is to who.
Ricard_Persson

Post #3280 by Ricard_Persson » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:48 pm

Sounds like the deal is happening. Really weird to see it play out on twitter live. It’s duch and Turris part of it. I’m afraid to keep refreshing twitter to see what uncle Pierre gave up.
gotta admit, I thought duchense was a bit over hyped on this trade talk, and Turris is a bit underrated league wide.

I’m a bit afraid of the assets going the other way.
King Clancy
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 12 times

Post #3281 by King Clancy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:01 am

senate
Registered Broad

Post #3282 by senate » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:06 pm

I think that was Alfredsson just throwing shade at Melnyk because he also said that he was willing to listen to any job offers from anywhere else in the league:

mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 193 times
Received rep: 122 times

Post #3283 by mayoradamwest » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:06 pm

Melnyk begging off sounds too good to be true.
Ricard_Persson

Post #3284 by Ricard_Persson » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:26 pm

Poor Gene will be bumped out of the Top 100 by next year. http://www.canadianbusiness.com/lists-and-rankings/richest-people/rich-100-eugene-melnyk/

Maybe the Shopify guy from downtown Ottawa can buy them team. He's coming in to the list hot.

He looks like a dork though that doesn't like sports.
TGR
Registered Broad

Post #3285 by TGR » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:42 pm

King Clancy wrote:

You've drank beers with Alfie?
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3286 by senate » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:12 pm

Apparently, Dorion pretty much said the same thing on the Team today (in fact, that may be Simpson's source).
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3287 by senate » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:28 pm

:rudy:

MP
Registered Broad

Post #3288 by MP » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:21 pm

The white O is terrible.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3289 by senate » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:23 pm

I think it is silver, not white.

The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #3290 by The Bytown Boozer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:38 pm

Love those new Ottawa Buckeyes jerseys...
emo
Registered Broad

Post #3291 by emo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:37 pm

Interesting. I heard something a little different in that Laliberté (Cirque guy) was quietly buying into the team. The common theme is that Melnyk is hurting financially. Realistically, the only way Melnyk will be able to keep owning the team is due to the Lebreton deal. He will need the potential revenue from that to fund the team on an ongoing basis. That or a billionaire like Laliberté takes over...
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #3292 by The Bytown Boozer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:37 pm

senate wrote::rudy:

Return to “Ottawa Senators Forum”