Looking at this further, you do have to be pleased with Ottawa's situation.
the mystery team thing sucks (I hope it's Pheonix) but after that:
- LA is loaded with forward prospects, with little on the back end. They especially have a lot of forward strenght, so curious if they take a positional need
- Ottawa gets a top 3 pick
- depending on what others do, they can do whatever the fuck they want at 5
- they still have another 1st and a lot of seconds, and prospect capital.
- Melnyk doesn't get to be fully happy
- odds are Islanders pick is around 15-20, so that gives Ottawa a great chance.
not too bad. I'm happy with one of Stutzle/Byfield, and from there they can't really go wrong. I do hope they plan for a Rundblad situation where someone doesn't pan out, but... even Chabot, Thomson, JBD, plus everyone else seems like a better starting point than when I was happy some random Russian player had a blog.