Received rep: 12 times

Re: Miss Callaneous' Senatorial Grabuge 2

Post #3303 by King Clancy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:28 pm

Ricard_Persson
Has given rep: 63 times
Received rep: 79 times

Post #3304 by Ricard_Persson » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:22 pm

There been a lot of smoke on that rumour for awhile so I would bet on some type of partial or full sale coming. Way too much rumour out there for it not to be true.

Melnyk gets shit on for sure, but a new owner could be worse. Better chance they’re a step up but a big corporation like Bell buying the team would probably be a sideways move. Who knows, maybe there is a white knight out there...which is exactly what Melynk was described as by the Ottawa citizen when he bought the team.

Attendance has been embarrassing for two years now. You can use all the excuses in the world, but Ottawa as a hockey market has to be soon questioned if things keep up. Hopefully the right owner (Canadian and loaded), will put an end to that worry, but really if attendance doesn’t pick up who wouldn’t look at relocation?

One goal away from the cup final, a top 3 nhl player and 27th in attendance, just ahead of Florida and Arizona but a couple % points in building capacity. It’s a touchy subject but it’s been completely unacceptable.
FH2002
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 18 times

Post #3305 by FH2002 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:38 pm

The rumour I heard was Alfie tried to bring in Swedish investors, Melnyk fucked him off, so Alfie walked until new ownership took over.

If Alfie did that unsolicited.. kind of a dick move. I totally respect him for it if it happened though.

Fart in the wind stuff, yes, I know.
TGR
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 16 times
Received rep: 24 times

Post #3306 by TGR » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:26 pm

Better than pissing in the wind, if you ask me.

:snow:
King Clancy
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 12 times

Post #3307 by King Clancy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:50 am

I feel like now that Don Brennan is talking about it, there's even less of a chance of it being true. Whatever credibility I had is now gone.
Germz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 116 times
Received rep: 78 times

Post #3308 by Germz » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:12 pm

Are you the new SensChirp?
Ricard_Persson

Post #3309 by Ricard_Persson » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:23 pm

There's way too much rumour going now. I believe more and more. The guys who cover the team are fed by the team. Garrioch is used by team to leak info in trade speculation and I'd say they all have heard pretty good rumours which is why they're pretty quiet. The team has pretty good control on them I believe. Brennan is a little different because his shtick is going against the flow. Even he sounds a little overly careful.

Melnyk usually pipes up pretty quick to "correct" things. If he's still silent by the weekend then there's something brewing.

From a business standpoint why would you not sell this team? If he can put a bow on the LeBreton deal, then he'll never have more value in the team. He will be selling for all of that future value, and not have to put out any money now. It's the best way to go. Let then next guy worry about the arena costs, delays and other problems over the next 10 years. He'll get paid for the 10 year value anyway.

If I was ever going to sell, it would be as soon as the deal is announced for a new rink. The next guy can own two rinks and have all that head ache.
MP
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 157 times
Received rep: 359 times

Post #3310 by MP » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:58 pm

Not to mention the boat anchor contract Dorion is going to sign with Duchene...
senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 255 times
Received rep: 324 times

Post #3311 by senate » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:03 pm

I don't think Dorion would last long after a change in ownership. If someone is going to spend hundreds of millions on a hockey franchise, they are going to want to choose their own management team and Dorion's tenure, though not terrible, hasn't been great enough to dissuade them from that.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3312 by senate » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:09 pm

Di Domenico on waivers, again.
TGR
Registered Broad

Post #3313 by TGR » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:05 pm

senate wrote:Di Domenico on waivers, again.

Susf

No he's not.

Ricard_Persson

Post #3314 by Ricard_Persson » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:04 pm

So I read that they can send him the ahl without going through waivers now. Is this allowed more than once? If so he’d be a valuable player if he can go up and down like a yo-yo.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3315 by senate » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:07 pm

Either Ceci is injured or getting traded because as bad as he is (and he is pretty bad this season), he is still one of the Senators better defencemen.

Fruity Pebbles
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 9 times

Post #3316 by Fruity Pebbles » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:50 am

I'm not sure how trading Ceci solves anything. The problems are much bigger than him.
Ricard_Persson

Post #3317 by Ricard_Persson » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:09 am

It's a tremendous fall. The coaching staff had this team really playing as a team last spring. They were so good, in every playoff game but maybe one blow-out. And when they lost, they won two days later. It truly was the best "team" I had ever witnessed in Ottawa. The difference from the old great teams Ottawa had, was that this one was consistent and worked really hard and every guy seemed to like all the players on the team. It was a special run, and really when you look back, if they score in Game 7 OT, I really think they had a slightly better than 50% chance of beating Nashville. Feels weird to even type that six months ago they could very well have had a real chance to win a Cup....to where we are now.

There is a complete cloud of unknown with this team at the top. I think we see a coaching change, but I don't think Dorion wants to make it. Melnyk may even fire himself and sell the team, so really this is about as strange as it gets apart from Rod Bryden going to Daniel Alfredsson and letting him know that the players won't be getting their cheques for a few weeks.

The coaching story is the tough one. No team has chewed up more coaches in recent memory than Your Ottawa Senators. Shitty coaches, or shit headed players? Maybe a bit of both. One thing for sure, I do think a few things play against Boucher. First off is attendance and the tag line that he plays boring hockey. I don't think he actually plays a boring style. I much enjoyed last seasons team who played a ton of one goal games, was in almost every game until the final buzzer and really played good hard hockey. Unfortunately for the Bouch, he'll never escape that famous trap shift where Pronger stood behind his own net for 30 seconds and no Boucher led player moved an inch on the ice. I think he's changed because he knows he had to change. However, the smell of his style of play will never escape him. A guy like Hitchcock has made a career and won with the same style but he's known as "defensive", where Boucher is known as a "boring trap team". It's funny how reputation follows you forever.

Back to the coach. I think it looks horrid to dismiss another coach, but you know the saying, you can't fire the team which is unfortunate in this case. They're zombies. Something has to give and I'm scared to see Dorion make a fix trade to fix the team. Sadly, I think they have to part ways with Boucher and give Crawford the team for the remainder of the year. With a 5% chance of playoffs, the guys will immediately loosen up to the point where you can evaluate actual players again and get a long term plan together. Crawford I would guess is very well liked, and would play a more open system to let the players just have fun, start fresh and maybe win a few games once the expectations and hopes of fans have been dashed.

The problem with Ottawa is they always fire a coach and then look to get a new one right away. It's like going to the grocery store on Sunday night. The pickings are slim and you're taking home stuff that you know you shouldn't settle for but damn you need to eat. I would give Marc and interim title as coach and wait patiently until the summer and see if a big name coach gets released. Hide like a fox in the bushes. At some point a good coach will drop. There seems to be a turn over of some older good teams from years back falling off and new teams improve to become the leagues best. It could be the time that a coach that has won in the past gets canned to change things up for re-tooling teams. In the past Ottawa has gone with low experienced NHL coaches, MacLean, Clouston, Boucher, Cameron, and Hartsburg. It's time for a guy who's coached as a head coach for 10 of the past 15 years in the NHL. That's on my job ad posting if I'm the owner/GM. No more inexperience with this group of players.

And Dorion? That's a tough one since Melnyk is his boss. He hasn't been horrible, he hasn't been great. The Burrows trade, his worst, and I don't even care about that Dahlin kid because any player under 22 is way over-hyped, divide the potential you read about by two. The fact that Dorion has got a handful of plugs on one ways next year is disastrous. It's going to be quite interesting over the next few months. Maybe not as interesting as last spring, but it could be close.
MP
Registered Broad

Post #3318 by MP » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:24 pm

It's like everyone on the team fell off the same cliff Wade Redden did...Turris was lucky to get out when he did.
Ricard_Persson

Post #3319 by Ricard_Persson » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:42 pm

Strange. I think the story of this season will be that almost everyone overlooked the importance of Marc Methot. This season without him, every single defensemen has looked worse as they've been bumped up a spot with Methots departure.

Marc chewed up big minutes that haven't been replaced. He skated well and covered area with his long strides, closed gaps with his long reach and was totally comfortable playing a physical game. Those guys are hard to find and few and far between.

The D is struggling which puts better shots at the goalies who are struggling and playing in their own end has wasted the forwards energy and time playing defense.
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #3320 by Germz » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:53 pm

I don't mean to diminish Methot's importance - I wish we had him right now instead of a bum like Oduya - but for several games to start they year, the team looked like they could manage without him. They even got some wins without Karlsson.

Honestly I'm convinced that the Turris trade broke the spirit in the room. To me that's the story. Beyond that, there are a ton of little things to point to: general hangover/regressing to a mean, other teams better prepared for Boucher's system, inevitable Anderson off-year and emotional letdown, Karlsson not 100%, Methot absence, Ryan injury, etc. But bottom line, they went to Sweden a decent team with some problems, and came back a garbage team.
Ricard_Persson

Post #3321 by Ricard_Persson » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:06 am

True, but they pumped a pile of goals in the early season. I think they hit #4 overall at one point.

It may have covered up the warts. Offense can be a shield both good and bad. 9 goals in their last 9 losses before last night will sink any ship no matter how good defensively they are as well. (They were shit on D the last 9 losses, but you know what I mean).
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 259 times
Received rep: 153 times

Post #3322 by The Bytown Boozer » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:12 pm

Ricard_Persson

Post #3323 by Ricard_Persson » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:55 pm

Great alumni rosters. I thought they might screw it up. Yashin, Daigle, Bonky, and Damien Rhodes between the pipes. Totally perfect. Great move not playing MTL alumni, and keeping both teams from Ottawa.

More interested in that game than the real game, to be honest. Doubt it’s on TSN though.
TGR
Registered Broad

Post #3324 by TGR » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:04 pm

Where the fuck is Dany Heatley?
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #3325 by The Bytown Boozer » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:24 pm

TGR wrote:Where the fuck is Dany Heatley?

Still gingerly skating back into his own zone after his German league team allowed a goal back in 2015.
RTWAP
Has given rep: 27 times
Received rep: 32 times

Post #3326 by RTWAP » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:34 pm

Germz wrote:I don't mean to diminish Methot's importance - I wish we had him right now instead of a bum like Oduya - but for several games to start they year, the team looked like they could manage without him. They even got some wins without Karlsson.

Honestly I'm convinced that the Turris trade broke the spirit in the room. To me that's the story. Beyond that, there are a ton of little things to point to: general hangover/regressing to a mean, other teams better prepared for Boucher's system, inevitable Anderson off-year and emotional letdown, Karlsson not 100%, Methot absence, Ryan injury, etc. But bottom line, they went to Sweden a decent team with some problems, and came back a garbage team.

Yah, the D-corps has really regressed this year. Nobody looks particularly good in their roles.

On Turris, it pisses me off that the team felt the need to kick him in the ass on his way out the door. Why? It just makes them look weak and defensive. Don't try to blame the trade on him, just say negotiations were ongoing and hadn't reached a conclusion when this trade opportunity came up. And the organization felt it would improve the team.

Listening to the Turris interview the next day where he awkwardly points out the Sens never offered him 6 years was painful.

Does this pettiness come from the GM, the organization as a whole, or just the influence of the owner? I don't know but I don't really care. I've mostly checked out on the Sens, waiting for an ownership change. I can't imagine going to a game. I think I've watched about 6 periods of Sens hockey so far this year on TV. I'm not even sure exactly what the problem is. I like the players, but the team just keeps making poor decisions. Each one just chips away at my hope for the future.

I think at the heart of it I fundamentally disagree with their approach to running the team. It's not that they are making the wrong decisions, it's that their decisions are in alignment with a plan that I don't think works.

BMurr and Dorion both seem to subscribe to the approach that you sait for players to prove themselves before signing them long term. Contrast that with David Poile, who signs young players to longer deals before they are fully established. The Sens did it with Turris, but that's it. With Hoffman and Stone, they waited until there was almost no uncertainty. Hoffman cost a lot more than he would have a few years earlier. Stone this summer will be a lot more expensive than he could have been. They are so terribly afraid of making a mistake that they don't want to project longer than a couple of years out. The way I look at, they just aren't very good at projecting the difference between OK NHLer and GOOD NHLer. Instead of getting better at it, they just punt the hard decisions for the future.

What I think their philosophy should be is to sign young guys to 5 or 6 year deals. Chose carefully. But know you'll occasionally screw up. When you do then package some picks or prospects to a rebuilding team that (1) can afford the contract (2) can afford to give the player a chance to rebound aware from the pressure of a contending team (3) Values picks and prospects for their rebuild.

If you can draft three or 4 NHLers in every draft then you have more players than you need. The benefit of doing that is that you develop and replenish your core, but also to provide the flexibility to utilize the surplus to fill in gaps OR to offload problems.

Wow. That turned into a bit of a rant.
NyQuil
Registered Broad
Received rep: 10 times

Post #3327 by NyQuil » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:32 pm

I am only half-kidding when I think the alumni teams could defeat our current roster.
NyQuil
Registered Broad

Post #3328 by NyQuil » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:34 pm

RTWAP wrote:BMurr and Dorion both seem to subscribe to the approach that you sait for players to prove themselves before signing them long term. Contrast that with David Poile, who signs young players to longer deals before they are fully established. The Sens did it with Turris, but that's it. With Hoffman and Stone, they waited until there was almost no uncertainty. Hoffman cost a lot more than he would have a few years earlier. Stone this summer will be a lot more expensive than he could have been. They are so terribly afraid of making a mistake that they don't want to project longer than a couple of years out.

What about Jared Cowen and Colin Greening?
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3329 by senate » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:02 pm

:trump:

Ricard_Persson

Post #3330 by Ricard_Persson » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:10 pm

Just looked at Ticket Master. 3 hours before game time, and I would guess 75% (yes three-quarters) of the upper deck is still for sale.

Tonight's attendance number is going to be God awful. Am I sick if I kind of find this entire situation enjoyable and interesting?

This team is a 2 Litre bottle of Mountain Dew and the Turris trade, Karlsson rumour, Boucher's style of play, Melnyk, and the current losing skid are bottle rocket candies being loaded in.

She gonna blow here soon and we're all going to get a face full.
NyQuil
Registered Broad

Post #3331 by NyQuil » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:58 pm

Well, I'm blowing my load at the outdoor game ($250 a pop BTW) as well as the Wild game on Tuesday.
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #3332 by Germz » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:22 pm

senate wrote::trump:

jesus fuckin christ
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #3333 by The Bytown Boozer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:01 pm

SELL THE TEAM!
SELL THE TEAM!
SELL THE TEAM!
SELL THE TEAM!
SELL THE TEAM!
SELL THE TEAM!
SELL THE TEAM!
SELL THE TEAM!
Ricard_Persson

Post #3334 by Ricard_Persson » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:44 pm

NyQuil wrote:Well, I'm blowing my load at the outdoor game ($250 a pop BTW) as well as the Wild game on Tuesday.

God bless.
RTWAP

Post #3335 by RTWAP » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:49 pm

NyQuil wrote:
RTWAP wrote:BMurr and Dorion both seem to subscribe to the approach that you sait for players to prove themselves before signing them long term. Contrast that with David Poile, who signs young players to longer deals before they are fully established. The Sens did it with Turris, but that's it. With Hoffman and Stone, they waited until there was almost no uncertainty. Hoffman cost a lot more than he would have a few years earlier. Stone this summer will be a lot more expensive than he could have been. They are so terribly afraid of making a mistake that they don't want to project longer than a couple of years out.

What about Jared Cowen and Colin Greening?

Good examples of how not to do it? (good question BTW)

The Greening contract was always questionable. They rewarded a guy for a bump in production due in part to playing up in the lineup. But his numbers weren't great, just pretty good for a third liner. But playing him with Spezza isn't a good way to evaluate his ability as a third liner.

Cowen is an example of what can go wrong. His contract wasn't unreasonable based on the consensus projection for where he'd be. But he caught the injury bug and became more immobile. To me that's an example of the type of contract you want to get rid of by packaging him with some assets in a trade. My main knock on the team was they should have tried to trade him earlier when he might have had more perceived value, but that assumes there was a market (other than Pierre Maguire, perennial GM interviewee). :creeper2:

The other suboptimal thing about Cowen is they gave him too much responsibility too soon. The contract model works best if you have reason to believe a player can handle a more prominent role, but it hasn't yet been proven. Give the player a game or two every once in a while in a prominent role and see how they do. My impression of Cowen is he played top-4 for extended periods of time in his first season, and in the playoffs of his second season. If a player has faced that challenge and passed then you're not saving much money.

Cowen had only played a little more than one season, but had looked decent in the most recent playoffs after missing pretty much the whole season. In that situation I think the Sens over-valued the most recent small sample size. I think they factored in the injury history by holding the deal to 4 years (thank heavens). Maybe it's just hindsight, but given he only had 2 years of NHL, and one was spent injured, he's just not a good fit for the "bring them along slowly and sign them long-term before they establish themselves" plan.

What could they have done differently? Done what they did with Hoffman. Give him a one-year deal and then re-evaluate the next summer. Sometimes you just don't have enough information. The problem was Cowen was holding out for a long-term deal. In hindsight maybe that should have sent off warning flares. A player with one full season who wants an 8-year deal might have some questionable motivations.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3336 by senate » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:09 pm

Hey, guess what everyone. Melnyk was on Ottawa sports radio today. Just joking, he called into Tim and Sid in Toronto. Let's check in how that went.

Great way to get into the hockey spirit of this weekend.
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #3337 by The Bytown Boozer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:38 pm

If Eugene leaves town with the team, the liver stays. :mitch_earthling:
Ricard_Persson

Post #3338 by Ricard_Persson » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:41 pm

I actually have to agree with him. They had trouble selling cheap tickets last year deep in the playoffs. They have a great year and can’t sell tickets this year. How many worse fan bases are there in the league? Maybe 5?

The Ottawa fan base has been embarrassing in the last five years. Is it really so many people upset at Melnyk? I bet if he sold the team attendance would be back to where we are in two years.

I does have to be frusterating to watch unfold.
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #3339 by The Bytown Boozer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:46 pm

Nobody wants to go to Kanata anymore. I think the correlation between the decline in attendance and the announcement of the LeBreton development is all too real.

Anecdotally, I can tell you that "I'm not really gonna go until they move downtown" is something that I've heard first-hand from quite a few people.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3340 by senate » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:10 pm

I think fan apathy has three causes: 1) fans not thinking that the franchise is financially committed to winning the Stanley Cup 2) no one wanting to go to Kanata (which was exacerbated by Melnyk shitting on the current arena location during his LeBreton push) and 3) the Senators' complete abandonment of marketing and community engagement (which I assume is some cost saving measure).

The phoenix pay system problems, which were actually considerably worse than the media and general public knew at the time, didn't help playoff sales either.
Ricard_Persson

Post #3341 by Ricard_Persson » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:14 pm

There’s a new link up on tsn1200 with melnyk talking for 10 minutes. I thought he made a lot of good points. It seems fans expect him to spend to the cap even if the attendance sucks. I’m one, I just watch the game on TV, but do I deserve a great team if I don’t support them? Probably not. He owns a business, not a fantasy.

The downtown rink is a good question mark. Melynk made a great point saying are they just moving a rink closer to fans who can’t buy tickets, as in the government employees. That’s the rule that has to change. He also made strong points that I don’t think the kanata fans are going to go downtown, as strange as it sounds but really no fans in the league have more excuses than Ottawa fans. You’ll lose the core west base, but gain the east to downtown.

Hard to say, but really if I was not from Ottawa and owner of the team I’d would actually have relocation in the back of my mind. The current team is pretty damn good to be bottom five in attendance. It’s been puzzling for a couple years. I still can’t believe the playoff games weren’t sold out.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3342 by senate » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:44 pm

Counterpoint: no one makes more excuses for poor ownership than Senators fans. The Senators problem isn't revenue, it's debt. That why the money from that 12 year, $400 million TSN deal just disappeared into the ether. Melnyk over-leveraged the team and because of the Great Recession he can't refinance it. If the Senators had a better owner who didn't mortgage the team into usurious interest payments than the Senators could actually hire a full front office, spend closer to the cap, dress above AHL level support players to surround their stars, and actually generate some fucking fan interest in the city.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3343 by senate » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:44 pm

Oh and a good owner could probably splurge for franchise luxuries like office janitors too.
MP
Registered Broad

Post #3344 by MP » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:19 pm

Frankly, I'd rather watch on tv, and have a couple hundred dollars in my pocket. I don't care where the game is, who we are playing, or how we are playing, the product is completely flawed in terms of value.

It's the same for movies, I'd rather watch them at home instead of sitting beside some filthy stranger.
MP
Registered Broad

Post #3345 by MP » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:25 pm

If you give me free seats I might show up, if I have nothing else going on... But in a city lacking corporate support there is no fixing the current situation.
Ricard_Persson

Post #3346 by Ricard_Persson » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:42 pm

I just checked. 07-08 they were third in the league averaging a staggering 19,800 a game. Even a couple years after they were top 10. Down from there.

They have iced some pretty good teams. I mean all these kids on twitter who figure trading Ceci and hiring some guy to track analytics would put them over the top, but they have put some pretty good teams together.

From a business standpoint it would be frusterating knowing that if you moved to Seattle , Houston or I’d even say Quebec, that you make more money on the dollar for no more effort.

Currently, this year, I think if you washed all debt and started fresh, you would still lose 5-10 million this year with the current support the team gets.

I don’t think melnyk will own the team in two years, even though tonight he said he could own them for 200 years lol. The man is a dick and egomaniac who would never say he’s hurting, and I think he’ll sell for a nice profit soon. It will be interesting to see how a new owner does when the fan base can’t use that excuse anymore. As an owner I think you have to know your market. It’s never going to be die hard fans, or enough of them anyway. They’ll disappear on losing streaks and blame what they can. However if an owner has enough money that they can just enjoy a break even business and come in knowing they have a weaker fan base, then I think things can go alright in Ottawa. The key will be an owner with a lot of money. Melnyk is trying to run this as a profit turning business. Sports shouldn’t be run as that. If you want to make money. Don’t buy a hockey team (at any level) from jr.b to NHL.

Just have fun in the game. Melnyk has lost that.
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #3347 by The Bytown Boozer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:18 am

Ricard_Persson wrote:.You’ll lose the core west base, but gain the east to downtown.

This is gonna sound really harsh, but the reason those people live in the vast, low-rent emptiness that is Kanata is because they have no disposable income. Outside of a bargain, there's very few reasons to live in Kanata. You could never really build a franchise around that suburban base, although we came very close to doing so about 10 years ago.

The Palladium (a carbon copy of the Palace at Auburn Hills) is a lovely rink, but really, I mean... to build such a parking lot that is so unfriendly to cars... in fucking Kanata of all places, a municipality with no sidewalks... I mean wow!

I can only stand in awe before such ineptitude.

Aaaaand you can forget about Lebreton. If you want to make this franchise viable then the rink needs to be in Rockliffe or in the actual downtown near the canal or the river. It needs to be in a rich neighbourhood, of which Ottawa has quite a few. Kanata, although it may have once been, is not exactly a wealthy neighbourhood.

• I've often heard that the original Ottawa Hockey Club rink (or at least, one of the many rinks) was at Confederation Park, which is really the perfect spot.
  • Another fun thing to do would be to tear down the Lester B. Pearson building and have the arena right smack dab between Ottawa & Gatineau. Good road system down there.
  • What about the Minto Islands that separate Lowertown from New Edinburgh? Old City Hall for those of you familiar with the city. That seems like a perfect location for the Sens.
  • The original plan for the team in the 30's apparently, before they moved to St Louis and such, was to build an arena just off of King Edward. And that probably would've saved the team.
  • Jim Watson needs to give us some decent land is all I'm saying. Lebreton is somewhat of a garbage pile.
Transplanted Caper
Has given rep: 66 times
Received rep: 201 times

Post #3348 by Transplanted Caper » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:53 am

If Grandpa talked at Christmas dinner the way Eugene talked last night, you'd be whispering about power of attorney when he left the room.
RTWAP

Post #3349 by RTWAP » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:22 am

Dear Eugene,

Fuck off.

Sincerely,

A Sens Fan
Ricard_Persson

Post #3350 by Ricard_Persson » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:46 am

There's been a lot of blow back from his comments last night. Its the main event in the news today. It seems the media is finally souring on him. This, along with the team not making the playoffs this year could be a real fire cracker. Bettman man have to step in at some point.

Return to “Canadian Tire Fire Centre”