Miss Callaneous' Senatorial Grabuge 2

Fruity Pebbles
Registered Broad
Received rep: 6 times

Re: Miss Callaneous' Senatorial Grabuge 2

Post #3001 by Fruity Pebbles » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:45 pm

senate wrote:Melnyk saying that the “this team cannot survive not making the playoffs" is a worrying insight into the team's current financial situation.

How much truth is there to that?
How much of that is because of debt financing?
Etc...

I don't believe Melnyk is making money off the Sens like many on Boards think he does... but how much is him posturing, how much is debt financing, etc...

Basically if we started from 0 how much would the team lose in a given year.

Edit: And if the number is still high - who would buy the team? Would anyone with local ties (or just an interest in owning an NHL team) be willing to step in?
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 146 times
Received rep: 99 times

Post #3002 by mayoradamwest » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:33 pm

I don't think viability is a real concern, though I would expect melnyk would equate him having to sell with relocation... At least when he frames it. He owns the arena and divides up the entities into miniature corps. I'm sure he can show a loss on the team and may personally be losing money for himself and the team, but ultimately I don't believe there are viability issues unless the dollar drops further.

Then again, I have no actual clue.

:gary:
senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 246 times
Received rep: 165 times

Post #3003 by senate » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:44 pm

No one thinks that Melnyk is making money off of the Senators. The problem is that Melnyk isn't willing to spend his own money on them and because of that the Senators are in debt trouble.

Melnyk himself has said back in January that there have been multiple interested buyers for the Senators, but he rejected all of them.
Fruity Pebbles
Registered Broad

Post #3004 by Fruity Pebbles » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:45 pm

senate wrote:No one thinks that Melnyk is making money off of the Senators. The problem is that Melnyk isn't willing to spend his own money on them and because of that the Senators are in debt trouble.

Melnyk himself has said back in January that there have been multiple interested buyers for the Senators, but he rejected all of them.

I trust you senate.

I just don't trust Melnyk.

:superghey:
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3005 by senate » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:03 pm

We should be focusing on more pressing matters, anyway. Like who will be the next coach - Luke Richardson or Daniel Alfredsson? Or can Chris Neil be a player-coach?
Murphy
Has given rep: 13 times
Received rep: 5 times

Post #3006 by Murphy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:08 pm

senate wrote:Melnyk saying that the “this team cannot survive not making the playoffs" is a worrying insight into the team's current financial situation.

It's bullshit.
ColinM
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1 time
Received rep: 10 times

Post #3007 by ColinM » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:57 pm

Not to mention more than one entity wants to own the Sens while they play in a downtown arena.
FH2002
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 16 times

Post #3008 by FH2002 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:37 pm

Melnyk thinks the players need to work on the shootout.
BlackRedGold
Registered Broad
Received rep: 3 times

Post #3009 by BlackRedGold » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:41 pm

senate wrote:No one thinks that Melnyk is making money off of the Senators. The problem is that Melnyk isn't willing to spend his own money on them and because of that the Senators are in debt trouble.

i think he's including himself as part of "this team". The debt trouble isn't from Melnyk not wanting to spend his own money the team, it's from Melnyk using his equity in the Senators to fund his other pursuits.

Is there a market the NHL isn't in that could provide the sort of local tv deal the Senators have? No. And when the cable tv bubble bursts, real viewership is going to be even more vital to the NHL.
Hossa
Registered Broad
Received rep: 4 times

Post #3010 by Hossa » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:47 pm

On the surface I like Melnyk's comments, as he's basically a stand-in for the disgruntled fan, and he is proposing the kind of review which could lead to the overhaul the organization clearly needs. He's also probably smart enough to realize that his own public reputation among fans needed a boost. Well played, Eugene.

But after thinking about it more, it's not that encouraging. If nobody's job is safe, the conversation has to begin with Bryan Murray, not Dave Cameron playing Matt O'Connor in October. This is Murray's team from top to bottom, and has been for almost a decade. The problem can't simply be the coach, not again. If Melnyk is ready to move on Murray, that will probably be done in a discrete way considering his health, but then why make a public spectacle now? And if Melnyk is not ready to move on Murray, how much change can we expect? The most likely scenario is Murray moves to a senior advisory role, but unless he is clearly distanced from all personnel decisions, that doesn't represent change.

I'm concerned about Alfie's place in all this. While he would obviously be a change in terms of management, and he can't be blamed for any of the current mess (at least for his work in the front office), is he ready to be GM? Probably not. But how successful will a new GM from outside the organization be if Alfie continues to lurk as the next one. That would be delicate at best, and the top GM candidates out there (Brisebois, Futa and so on) are unlikely to move out of their current positions without some assurances of autonomy and security as GM in Ottawa.

I miss the days where we were a model organization, ahead of the curve on scouting and player development. The rest of the league caught up and we instead put the car into reverse.
Fruity Pebbles
Registered Broad

Post #3011 by Fruity Pebbles » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:57 pm

You can't say in public that Murray's job isn't safe.

The Murray family and Bryan Murray is huge in the NHL. He has terminal cancer. If you're unhappy with him - it's a talk that takes place behind closed doors and find a way to get him to take a step back while he can remain happy or at least preserve his dignity.
Ricard_Persson
Has given rep: 25 times
Received rep: 42 times

Post #3012 by Ricard_Persson » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:23 am

I really think Murray will be back as GM, listening to Melnyk's comments. It's totally clear that Cameron is already fired and Melnyk wants Murray to stay on. The Duthie interview before the game last night cements both notions. Check it out on TSN. Surprising really, as I'd totally clean house and send guys to where they belong. Murray to a lifetime achievement award and bogus title to keep him hanging around away from the buttons. Dorion back to focusing on players development and scouting, Randy Lee back to the gym to work on strength and conditioning. Ever since he left that department the teams conditioning has gone downhill. They used to be a model of that, now they've got about a half game of high intensity play in the tank, if that.

If you're Alfredsson why would you want to be in a position that can get you fired? A coach or GM has a shelf life. What do you do in 6 years when you have to fire Alfredsson? I just don't know. I'd put him in a Shanahan role, where he has some say like a GM, but is forever untouchable. I just don't see why you throw him into a GM role. Firing him will be just like when he went to the Wings, awkward. You can have his profile and marketability for 20 years if you keep him out of that role.
Fruity Pebbles
Registered Broad

Post #3013 by Fruity Pebbles » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:10 pm

MacArthur almost certainly done for the season. No point in risking another concussion or a return of symptoms with 6 meaningless games:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/03/27/mac ... oncussions

Following a Saturday meeting between MacArthur, Senators general manager Bryan Murray and the club’s medical staff, it’s expected the club will officially announce Monday that he won’t return for the club’s final six games.

The full article is actually really interesting and those symptoms seem awful to deal with.
I'm shocked MacArthur in his interviews was constantly pushing to come back if that was his experience. I'd be terrified.
Ricard_Persson

Post #3014 by Ricard_Persson » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:24 pm

It's the fear of not being able to do the only thing that you know how to do.

Always interesting seeing players as they hit that point thinking that this could be it. These guys barely finished high school because of the crazy schedule of minor and junior hockey. They've been waking up every day thinking about that one thing that they do so well.

It's gotta be scary wondering if that last shift could well in fact have been your last. What's next? At 30 and in better shape than 99 of 100 people, it would be hard to take thinking you may not be able to cross that line again.

A well written article for once. Nice read. Nice guy too, Clarke. I don't want to offend people and sound like Donald S Cherry, but you have to love MacArthur's will to come back. Like you said it should be terrifying, but he's going out swinging. Great guy, and a guy you want healthy on your team.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3015 by senate » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:18 pm

Capital Tickets is closing and the Senators are going back to Ticketmaster.

I don't know what that says about Melnyk's finances since most franchises don't have their own ticketing and it was always weird that Senators had their own. Regardless, it probably means we are going to be paying more superfluous fees when we buy tickets.
BlackRedGold
Registered Broad
Received rep: 3 times

Post #3016 by BlackRedGold » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:56 pm

It was an odd announcement but for all of Ticketbastard's woes, their software is superior to the shittyware that Capital Tickets used. I suspect Ticketbastard bought Capital Tickets out from Eugene for a tidy sum and who knows what Eugene will put that money towards. Maybe fighting off the other guys bidding on Lebreton for control of the Sens.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3017 by senate » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:15 pm

TGR
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 11 times
Received rep: 17 times

Post #3018 by TGR » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:19 pm

Let's take a look how Bobby Ryan's offseason is going.

FH2002
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 16 times

Post #3019 by FH2002 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:48 am

At least he’s not driving around in an RV like last summer.
TGR
Registered Broad

Post #3020 by TGR » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:32 pm

These beerleaguers can't even raise the puck. Are these division 12 guys from the Sensplex mens league?
Germz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 83 times
Received rep: 55 times

Post #3021 by Germz » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:49 pm

Spezza with a four-point night as the Stars eliminate Minnesota. 9 points in 6 first round games.
Muffin Mannequin
Registered Broad
Received rep: 1 time

Post #3022 by Muffin Mannequin » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:40 am

Ya, but drop pass.
Ricard_Persson

Post #3023 by Ricard_Persson » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:21 am

It's almost like I'd come out in public and hire an interim coach. I know it would never happen but you look at the junk out there...why not just say, "we haven't found the proper fit, and for the short term __________ will be the interim head coach of the Ottawa Senators."

Then when a top guy gets canned, you are first on the scene, and pay top dollar.

Hiring someone you aren't in love with, means when a guy is available that would be a great fit, you have no chance on him because the next hire has to be around for AT LEAST two years. There's so much pressure on this next hire to be "the guy" that they can't get a second chance for at least a couple years. They can't fire another coach soon.
Ricard_Persson

Post #3024 by Ricard_Persson » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:26 am

Darren "Dregs" Dreger is "almost certain" Hitchcock is canned if the Blues lose tonight.

Given the field, he's "almost" a guy you have to hire. If the bloggers get their panties is a knot about how David Cameron treated the lazy, poorly defensive Mike Hoffman, wait till they see what Hitchcock does to him.

I have no idea if Hitchcock is even a good coach. I barely have time to watch your Ottawa Senators, so I'm not going to be able to scout the STL Blues, but part of me would like to see a veteran coach come in and clean things up on the ice and the room, and also go at the boneheaded Ottawa media (really just Don B. - surely he's the next Post Media layoff, right?)
Ricard_Persson

Post #3025 by Ricard_Persson » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:28 am

RE: SPezza:

Good for him. He's in a good spot where he doesn't need to be heard from. He can do his thing and take the weaker defensmen on, weaker checking forwards and not even have to wear a letter on his jersey and speak to the media after the game.

It's gotta be so much better, I'm sure he wonders why he didn't leave sooner.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3026 by senate » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:38 am

Ricard_Persson wrote:Darren "Dregs" Dreger is "almost certain" Hitchcock is canned if the Blues lose tonight.

Given the field, he's "almost" a guy you have to hire. If the bloggers get their panties is a knot about how David Cameron treated the lazy, poorly defensive Mike Hoffman, wait till they see what Hitchcock does to him.

I have no idea if Hitchcock is even a good coach. I barely have time to watch your Ottawa Senators, so I'm not going to be able to scout the STL Blues, but part of me would like to see a veteran coach come in and clean things up on the ice and the room, and also go at the boneheaded Ottawa media (really just Don B. - surely he's the next Post Media layoff, right?)

The biggest challenge for the next coach will be implementing a defensive system while still giving Karlsson room to play his game. When pumping Alex Pietrangelo (the Drew Doughtey of 2012) for the Norris, Hitchcock dismissed Karlsson as an "offenseman". Given that comment and Hitchcock's tendency to fight with offensive minded players like Tarasenko, I don't know if Hitchcock would be able to work well with Karlsson.

Also, Hitchcock would be expensive and I bet that Melnyk's promise to spend money will be withdrawn after Thursday afternoon.
Jorge Garcia
Registered Broad
Received rep: 1 time

Post #3027 by Jorge Garcia » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:09 am

I'm not crazy about watching the Blues, but I was OK with them winning a round if it keeps Hitchcock out of Ottawa.
TGR
Registered Broad

Post #3028 by TGR » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:59 am

Jorge Garcia wrote:I'm not crazy about watching the Blues, but I was OK with them winning a round if it keeps Hitchcock out of Ottawa.

He'd drink all the beer at both Big Rigs.
ColinM
Registered Broad

Post #3029 by ColinM » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:52 pm

Shane prince with a great first period tonight (2 goals). Probably a bit of a one off
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3030 by senate » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:24 pm

I've endured the breakneck speed of dozens of RFP decision announcements. I'm happy that today many Ottawa Senators fans get to experience that joy.
Fruity Pebbles
Registered Broad

Post #3031 by Fruity Pebbles » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:58 pm

Melnyk's bid is the preferred bid for Lebreton.

Let the complex negotiations and consultations begin.
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #3032 by Germz » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:58 pm

Eugene wins.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3033 by senate » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:00 pm

So Melnyk's bid won. Sort of. They get to negotiate with the NCC first. If they fail to come to an agreement with the NCC then the NCC will negotiate with DCDLS.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3034 by senate » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:02 pm

senate
Registered Broad

Post #3035 by senate » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:04 pm

Fruity Pebbles wrote:Melnyk's bid is the preferred bid for Lebreton.

Let the complex negotiations and consultations begin.

Yeah, no one is mentioning that the the City of Ottawa still has to approve the zoning of all this.

And apparently the province has to approve of the environmental cleanup plan.
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 160 times
Received rep: 89 times

Post #3036 by The Bytown Boozer » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:51 pm

(Pictured above: a chilling vision of things to come.)
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3037 by senate » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:35 pm

The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #3038 by The Bytown Boozer » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:23 pm

Personally, I'd rather go with the clown who went into space than with the clown with too much salary cap space.
Fruity Pebbles
Registered Broad

Post #3039 by Fruity Pebbles » Tue May 17, 2016 7:53 am

Ceci and Stone have played really well for Team Canada at the World Championship so far.

Unfortunately Team Canada politics (promise Ryan Ellis the #1 job if he comes over, take it away from Ceci) will likely limit Ceci's role from here on out.

But Stone keeps shining. Maybe he can make Team Canada. He doesn't look out of place with Hall or McDavid. He works well with anyone - Scheifele, Reinhart, Marchand, etc...

That versatility should be an asset Team Canada management looks upon favorably.
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #3040 by The Bytown Boozer » Thu May 19, 2016 9:36 pm

From the archives:

TGR
Registered Broad

Post #3041 by TGR » Mon May 23, 2016 9:23 pm

Is he taking Neil's spot on the 4th line?
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3042 by senate » Thu May 26, 2016 7:50 pm

Phillips retired today.

I know that no one here cares, but I believe that his long service to the club deserves to be acknowledged before it is quickly forgotten about forever.
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #3043 by Germz » Thu May 26, 2016 9:07 pm

I drank a Big Rig tallboy this afternoon in his honour.

Also, I noticed that Mike Fisher was in town for the retirement press conference. God bless that man. A true friend, a loving husband, and a wonderful father. Here's to you MIke.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3044 by senate » Thu May 26, 2016 9:49 pm

Carrie Underwood is a modern day Janet Jones - except considerably more successful.

And prettier.

And, judging by Carrie's role in How I Met Your Mother and Janet's part in Police Academy 5, a better actress.
ColinM
Registered Broad

Post #3045 by ColinM » Fri May 27, 2016 11:51 am

Germz wrote:I drank a Big Rig tallboy this afternoon in his honour.

Also, I noticed that Mike Fisher was in town for the retirement press conference. God bless that man. A true friend, a loving husband, and a wonderful father. Here's to you MIke.

A part of me hopes they don't retire his number. His legacy is longevity rather than impactful moments. But I suspect he'll be trotted out as an attraction some cold November Night.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 146 times
Received rep: 99 times

Post #3046 by mayoradamwest » Fri May 27, 2016 4:18 pm

He's our ken daneyko, only he can handle his booze
TGR
Registered Broad

Post #3047 by TGR » Fri May 27, 2016 9:23 pm

I was listening to TSN 1200 during the day Phillips officially retired. Hearing Alfie, Spezza, Fisher, Chara, etc... talk about the past Sens teams made me quite sad, although made me appreciate the quality of those teams. 2003 should have been the year the Cup was ours.

:why:
ColinM
Registered Broad

Post #3048 by ColinM » Sun May 29, 2016 7:22 am

TGR wrote:I was listening to TSN 1200 during the day Phillips officially retired. Hearing Alfie, Spezza, Fisher, Chara, etc... talk about the past Sens teams made me quite sad, although made me appreciate the quality of those teams. 2003 should have been the year the Cup was ours.

:why:

They were the cup favourites going into 2003-04. Today they are just also rans.
TGR
Registered Broad

Post #3049 by TGR » Sun May 29, 2016 2:03 pm

Now the fan base would just be happy for a playoff spot.
RTWAP
Has given rep: 23 times
Received rep: 21 times

Post #3050 by RTWAP » Sun May 29, 2016 6:20 pm

TGR wrote:Now the fan base would just be happy for a playoff spot.

Lots of them, I'm sure. I've lost a bit of interest. Waiting for an opportunity to believe they're building to contend. The impediments to that are as much organizational as player-personnel related at this point.

Return to “Ottawa Senators Forum”