Summer recess: The Offseason Thread

senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 251 times
Received rep: 206 times

Summer recess: The Offseason Thread

Post #1 by senate » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:22 pm

I figured we needed a generic offseason thread but I don't expect anything happening in the next few months that is exciting enough for its own thread.

Chiasson has been trade to Calgary for Patrick Sieloff, a 22 year old defenceman who has played one NHL game and three seasons in the AHL.

Still no word on Ceci or Hoffman's contract talks, other than Ceci's new deal will be between 2 and 6 years long.

Wiercioch won't be qualified and I will be happy to never have to struggle to spell his name again.

The rookie development camp starts tomorrow and runs to July 4th. Here's the roster:

White is injured and isn't expected to do much other than skate around looking pretty.
RTWAP
Has given rep: 25 times
Received rep: 23 times

Re: Summer recess: The Offseason Thread

Post #2 by RTWAP » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:31 pm

Wasn't White hurt for the start of last year's camp?
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3 by senate » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:35 pm

RTWAP wrote:Wasn't White hurt for the start of last year's camp?

He was injured during it. The Senators sent the rookies over to the Spartan Race to run some of the obstacles and White sprained his ankle.

This is the Spartan Race for anyone who has never heard of it:

It is essentially cross-country cross-fit. It was a pretty stupid thing to risk the health of prospects on. I hope the Senators learnt their lesson and don't go back.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #4 by senate » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:40 pm

Camp invitee, Michael Babcock, is Mike Babcock's son. That's sort of weird, but the Senators seem to have a fetish for Merrimack College invites.
Hossa
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1 time
Received rep: 5 times

Post #5 by Hossa » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:37 am

Considering the poor state of affairs in Binghamton, I'd hope we're able to take advantage of some of the young players not qualified who could see an opportunity to play their way onto our club.

On the blueline, I'd like to see us go after Brandon Gormley, Michael Paliotta, Jon Merrill, and maybe Morgan Ellis and Stuart Percy. Merrill will require a one-way, the rest not quite as certain. I don't know what has happened to Merrill and Gormley. Merrill really took a step back last year, and Gormley has just never found his groove in the NHL. I have no idea why Paliotta wasn't qualified, but I'd like him as a righty to push Wideman.

Similarly, some intriguing options up front. Assuming Joe Colborne is either signed by Calgary or goes for more money elsewhere, there are still some skilled guys out there. Brandon Pirri could be good scoring winger insurance, considering MacArthur and Ryan are injury-prone and guys like Zack Smith and Curtis Lazar shouldn't be the back-up plans for the top six. Quinton Howden would bring skating ability as a fourth line centre, and could compete with Dzingel, Paul and Puempel for minutes. Not a huge fan of Brett Connolly, Gabriel Bourque or Linden Vey, but would happily take any of them as depth. Devante Smith-Pelley too.

We have quite a lot of contract space, and are going to be priced out of the market for the top end free agents, even the mid-level guys like Jason Demers or Troy Brouwer types who will get too many years at too much money. I'd much rather have a few of these competing rather than default options like Buddy Robinson, Max McCormick and Freddy Claesson.

Because I'm procrastinating real life today, here's the NHL roster and Bingo roster as it stands, post-QO and stuff:

Mike Hoffman (RFA) - Kyle Turris - Mark Stone
Clarke MacArthur - Mika Zibanejad - Bobby Ryan
Zack Smith - Jean-Gabriel Pageau - Curtis Lazar
Matt Puempel (RFA) - Ryan Dzingel (RFA) - Chris Neil
Depth: Nick Paul, Max McCormick (RFA), Buddy Robinson, Tom Pyatt

** Assuming the prognosis on Mac is good, and Hoffman is retained, I can see why the organization feels the top six is set. The problem is what happens when somebody goes down. Smith's shooting percentage was unsustainable last year, and we weren't a good team with him as a top six forward, nor will we be if we ever try that again. I'd be happy to see Dzingel or Puempel play up the line-up, but another forward with some skill on a one-way deal seems smart and reasonable. Nick Paul can be sent down without waivers, but I don't think Puempel can, so I'd assume Puempel gets the Shane Prince treatment to start. Doubt all three left-shooting kids make the fourth line together though. Will also depends on who among the RFA gets a one-way deal.

Marc Methot - Erik Karlsson
Dion Phaneuf - Cody Ceci (RFA)
Mark Borowiecki - Chris Wideman
Depth: Pat Sieloff, Fredrik Claesson (RFA), Ben Harpur, Thomas Chabot

** In a dream world, Boro is gone, but that won't happen. We can only hope Vegas wants a good hard working person. But clearly there is a need for at least one more defenceman. Considering all those depth guys are left shots (as is Andreas Englund), a right shot seems logical, but that could force us to play Borowiecki every game, which I hope the new coaching staff recognizes is not desirable.

Anderson
Hammond

The Bingo team, based upon contracts so far:

Nick Paul - Tom Pyatt - Buddy Robinson
Max McCormick - Casey Bailey - Zack Stortini
Francis Perron - Ryan Rupert - Vincent Dunn

Fredrik Claesson - Ben Harpur
Pat Sieloff - Andreas Englund
Macoy Erkamps - Cody Donaghey

Matt O'Connor
Chris Driedeger

** I'm assuming Wikstrand is still AWOL and White doesn't sign. Otherwise, Varone, Dziurzyinski, Ewanyk and Akeson are all gone up front, along with Kostka, Fraser, Leduc and Rutkowski on the back end. There is plenty of room to add a forward, because that's a terrible team on paper. You need to at least sign a totally new first line. The blueline is also mess, and desperately needs at least one right-shot veteran to replace Kostka and probably two guys to move the puck, because Claesson, Sieloff, Harpur and Englund would be the least talented top 4 in AHL history. Random prediction is signing Adam Clendening, who Coach K knows from his USNDPT days - a right-shooting offensive blueliner who has proven little other than the fact he's not worth a one-way deal.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #6 by senate » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:33 pm

Exciting times!

Curiously, Dorion didn't mention going after a bottom-six forward like he did at the end of the season and before the draft. I wonder if that means a new forward isn't the plans/budget, if the Senators don't like the UFA forward crop, or if because the UFA defencemen market is so thin they have to move quickly on a new defenceman but can be patient in getting a forward.
Ricard_Persson
Has given rep: 37 times
Received rep: 50 times

Post #7 by Ricard_Persson » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:43 pm

Nick Paul is 230 pounds at 21 years of age.
Murphy
Has given rep: 18 times

Post #8 by Murphy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:55 pm

Taylor Hall traded to NJ for Larsson

Murphy

Post #9 by Murphy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:56 pm

Suban to NJ for Weber

What the hell is going on today?
senate
Registered Broad

Post #10 by senate » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:59 pm

McKenzie is reporting Stamkos is staying in Tampa too. Just hours after meeting with the Leafs, the mayor of Toronto, and the CEO of Canadian Tire. That's gotta hurt Leaf Nation.
Fruity Pebbles
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 7 times

Post #11 by Fruity Pebbles » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:13 pm

Is it just Subban for Weber? Holy shit Montreal got robbed.
Ricard_Persson
Has given rep: 37 times
Received rep: 50 times

Post #12 by Ricard_Persson » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:16 pm

Wow, that Subban for Weber deal. Pretty close eh? Totally different players but not sure anyone loses. I didn't think either was as good as they were talked about. Just a hockey trade I guess Darren "Dregs" Dregger would say.

Really nice to see Stammer meet with the TO mayor, then stay in TB. Love it. *heads to facebook*
Fruity Pebbles
Registered Broad

Post #13 by Fruity Pebbles » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:18 pm

Ricard_Persson wrote:Wow, that Subban for Weber deal. Pretty close eh? Totally different players but not sure anyone loses. I didn't think either was as good as they were talked about. Just a hockey trade I guess Darren "Dregs" Dregger would say.

Really nice to see Stammer meet with the TO mayor, then stay in TB. Love it. *heads to facebook*

They get an older, similar player with worse skating. I'm no Subban fan but I don't see how this makes sense. Yeah nobody really loses right now but Weber's contract is horrendous and he's older. Remember he was one of the cap circumvention contracts and the new CBA involves penalties on those contracts if there is a retirement. Shea Weber has 10 more seasons left on his contract and he's about to turn 31.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #14 by senate » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:26 pm

Yeah, Nashville get Subban's peak years and Montreal get Weber's Walmart greeter years.

Germz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 91 times
Received rep: 65 times

Post #15 by Germz » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:46 pm

Subban for Weber straight up. Interesting move for Montreal. Has to be a personality thing as much as anything.

Mixing together two old and reliable media storylines. Will PK's personality play better in a non-traditional hockey market? Has Weber truly been underappreciated for years by biased Eastern Conference sports writers? Tune in next season to find out.

Re: Weber: I get the age concern, but is Weber the kind of defenseman likely to deteriorate that badly? Elite offensive D tend to age pretty well, especially if they don't need to rely on their speed. Al MacInnis remained pretty formidable into his late 30. Markov and Gonchar too (more recently) when they could stay healthy. Weber has been pretty injury-free for most of the last 10 years. I think he'll remain elite until at least age 36. I think any Habs fans that are freaking out will be pleasantly surprised with how this works out for them.

Meanwhile, Nashville gets a little younger and much more dynamic. They are slowly becoming a *gasp* exciting team to watch after years of boring defensive hockey. And PK's got a strong playoff record which they badly need.

Re: Hall for Larsson: Edmonton's search for elite D continues. Hall was an expendable me-first player; I've always thought so. Maybe a disciplined system in Jersey can break him down.

No comment to be made on Stamkos. Glad he didn't go to Detroit.
i.m. fletcher
Registered Broad
Received rep: 3 times

Post #16 by i.m. fletcher » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:09 pm

It's nice to not even be in the conversation for dumbest Canadian franchise.

Don't worry though, melnyk is right around the corner.
Fruity Pebbles
Registered Broad

Post #17 by Fruity Pebbles » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:56 pm

I made a mistake. Apparently the cap penalty if Weber retires early applies to Nashville. It's only a buy out where Montreal would get punished for that contract.

He's already a little slow and he's never been known as a really cerebral player. I'd be worried about Weber if I were Montreal. I wonder if Nashville got guarantees from Weber before the move... or if there is some way for them to avoid the penalties. They're no cap team but 7.8M hit is huge.
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #18 by Germz » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:45 pm

Eventful year coming up for Stevie Y now that he's got Stamkos locked up. Hedman and Bishop are UFA next summer, and Johnson, Palat and Drouin all RFA.
Hossa
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1 time

Post #19 by Hossa » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:35 am

Germz wrote:Eventful year coming up for Stevie Y now that he's got Stamkos locked up. Hedman and Bishop are UFA next summer, and Johnson, Palat and Drouin all RFA.

And Kucherov this summer.

Bishop's gone, just a question of when over the next twelve months. Vasilevski is the future.

Carle is almost certainly gone, most likely through a buy-out. They probably regret the Callahan deal, but he's injured so he can't be bought out (nor would that be a good idea so quickly).
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #20 by Germz » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:52 am

Oh yes, Kucherov. He's so damn good. He'll probably be looking at a Forsberg-type deal, which is a huge raise from his 894k cap hit last year.

I wonder if Filppula or Killorn might be on the trade market. Filppula's numbers took a dive last season though.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #21 by senate » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:50 pm

Oh please.

Supplemental edit: So Cowen was traded injured to Leafs with a hip injury. He was eventually cleared to play but the Leafs shut him down for the season instead. Cowen then had doctor-recommended elective surgery on his hip. Now Cowen can't be bought out because the NHL and NHLPA are in arbitration on whether that should count as an injury for buyout purposes.

None of this really matters. The Leafs can afford to LTIR him or dump him in the AHL. It is a little schadenfreude and life is about enjoying the little things.
Skrymir
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 7 times

Post #22 by Skrymir » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:06 pm

They'll end up paying him...
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 195 times
Received rep: 122 times

Post #23 by mayoradamwest » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:31 am

Melnyk's refusal to spend money will always be the reason Cowen failed in my mind, a tutor couldn't have been that expensive :(
Fruity Pebbles
Registered Broad

Post #24 by Fruity Pebbles » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:36 pm

mayoradamwest wrote:Melnyk's refusal to spend money will always be the reason Cowen failed in my mind, a tutor couldn't have been that expensive :(

I just don't think Cowen has the hockey smarts to succeed at the NHL level. Maybe if Cowen had been drafted by Nashville he could have been a #4/5 guy. Maybe.

Ryan Ellis has 'succeeded' in Nashville and I thought he was garbage at the juniors because he took half an hour to make decisions with the puck.
Skrymir
Registered Broad

Post #25 by Skrymir » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:24 pm

Skrymir
Registered Broad

Post #26 by Skrymir » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:25 pm

Another undrafted College guy. Played in Hartford last season.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #27 by mayoradamwest » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:54 pm

he's no varone.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #28 by senate » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:02 pm

Fruity Pebbles
Registered Broad

Post #29 by Fruity Pebbles » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:17 pm

The term on some of those early deals was ridiculous. We're talking about players who are almost all 30 or 31 if not older.

6M doesn't look bad now - but what about when these 30 year olds start declining? Think about Eric Staal's premature decline. Why won't that happen to a guy like Lucic or Ladd? They've also played lots of hockey like Staal. They weren't as dominant as Staal.

There were a lot of big gambles yesterday and I'm not sure what the teams who gambled will do 3-4 years from now.
FH2002
Registered Broad
Received rep: 18 times

Post #30 by FH2002 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:52 pm

senate wrote:

What the hell’s talking about? When’s the last time Ottawa turned in to a slut on FA day? Kovalev? Gerber?
senate
Registered Broad

Post #31 by senate » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:11 pm

FH2002 wrote:
senate wrote:

What the hell’s talking about? When’s the last time Ottawa turned in to a slut on FA day? Kovalev? Gerber?

A couple of years ago Murray resigned Michalek to a three year deal on July 1st?
Fruity Pebbles
Registered Broad

Post #32 by Fruity Pebbles » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:01 pm

Murray offered Clarkson more money and/or term, didn't he? Clarkson said no IIRC. I think it's better if we say no.
FH2002
Registered Broad
Received rep: 18 times

Post #33 by FH2002 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:50 pm

Clarkson signed for 7 years @ $5.25 per. Murray offered something better than that and Clarkson turned it down?

I’m on board with not doing anything stupid on FA day. It rarely works out.
Fruity Pebbles
Registered Broad

Post #34 by Fruity Pebbles » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:04 pm

FH2002 wrote:Clarkson signed for 7 years @ $5.25 per. Murray offered something better than that and Clarkson turned it down?

I’m on board with not doing anything stupid on FA day. It rarely works out.

I think so. Clarkson took Toronto because the money was more in signing bonuses (which a lot of players prefer) and he wanted to be the hero coming home to Toronto.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #35 by senate » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:08 am

This seems like a particularly stupid thing for management to say. I guess they are trying to inspire him or something?

Germz
Registered Broad

Post #36 by Germz » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:15 am

Its' easy enough to privately tell Chabot "play like this in Sept. and you won't make the roster". Not sure why Randy chose to make it public. That's really throwing down the gauntlet.
RTWAP

Post #37 by RTWAP » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:47 pm

Went to the 3-on-3 today.

FORWARDS:

Zach Saar: [A-] Looked very good. 3 goals, a number of other good chances. He's 6'6" and 225 lbs and moves very well. He's like a slightly larger Buddy Robinson with a much more lethal shot. I saw him get a very hard wrist shot off from just beside his skates. It looked to me like he has a deceptive release. Goalies were having a bit of a hard time even when they made the saves. He also hit at least one post. Unlike Buddy Robinson he also appears to have a bit of a mean streak. He absolutely hammered Gagne (6'5" 195 lbs) with by far the hardest hit of the day. Gagne was winded and had to leave for a while. Please sign this guy now. He should at least be a very good player for Bingo, and might develop into something more. Downside: He completely screwed up when his Team White was up 2-0 against Team Red. It was Red's puck and two guys from each team were behind the net. Saar when to the boards to be open for a breakout pass so he could clear the zone with the puck and flip the zone. But Red won the puck battle and Saar's guy was alone in front of the net. Easy goal for Red. I didn't notice any other brainfarts like that. He had some nice takeaways (long reach helps). And his team won the tournament even though they were playing with 5 men instead of the 6 that all the other teams had (Dunn wasn't there. Injured? )

Logan Brown: [C+] Not very noticeable, but I did see the puck come to him once in the high slot as he was heading toward traffic. He just kept the puck and went through the traffic to the corner. He must have lost the puck 3-4 times and regained it quickly each time. He has nice hands. He skates reasonably well but his ability looks like it could use some work. And his shot was underwhelming in terms of velocity.

Chlapik: [C] Had some good high-energy shifts and some decent defensive plays but nothing too notable.

Nick Paul: [A-] Very solid. He just always seems to be in the right spot when he doesn't have the puck, either supporting a teammate or taking options away from the other team. And when he had the puck he was generating offensive chances against the competition. Seemed to have decent vision and didn't always do the predictable safe thing. Sometimes he did the unpredictable safe thing.

Jonathan Dahlen: [B] Nice shot. In the warmup he was placing shots nicely, with very good velocity. Seeing a goalie stretch his glove to just above the tip of his outstretched pad was an unusual sight, but Dahlen made the goalie do it. Once the games started he was working creatively with Perron. They were weaving through traffic and generally making the defenders work hard.

Perron: [B+] I was comparing him in my mind to an early Mike Hoffman. He isn't quite as fast. His shot isn't quite as hard. But he seems a little niftier with the puck, and was meshing with his linemates better than I remember Hoffman doing. I guess the typical thing to say would be that he has a higher hockey IQ. Watching him I was sure that he probably needed a couple of years in Bingo to improve.

Chris Leblanc: [C] Almost unnoticeable. Almost. But he just seemed to keep winning little battles, being in the right place to make simple plays that kept the possession going, and quietly helped push the team to a win. I'm not sure how that translates into an NHL career. That's not a knock. I legitimately don't know how well that translates, or who might have played similarly that I didn't notice. Maybe a Condra or something?

The rest of the forwards were fairly unnoticeable, or had their noticeable moments on the other end of the ice.

DEFENCEMEN:

Thomas Chabot: [B+] He had the puck a lot, and carried it with poise, but was trying to do way too much. Lots of drives to the net through 3 guys, losing the puck just before or just after passing the second guy. Obvious skill but misapplied it today. Maybe the kid was overreacting to Randy Lee's comments.

Chris Carlisle: [B-] Couple of nifty plays with the puck. Good anticipation without it. Played fairly physical at times for a short guy. Good body control. Won more battles that I would have expected.

Cody Donaghey: [B-] Like a defensive version of Chris Leblanc, except he did have a few notable moments where he read the coverage, stepped into an opening, and then got off a great scoring chance uncovered from the slot. He scored at least one goal, maybe two (announcements were hard to hear).

Macoy Erkamps: [C] Seemed to acquit himself well while defending and I think he scored a goal pinching backside.

The rest of the d-men were not notable. I think Englund, Harper and Lajoie played at the other end for most of their games.
RTWAP

Post #38 by RTWAP » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:56 pm

Original recap updated.
i.m. fletcher
Registered Broad
Received rep: 3 times

Post #39 by i.m. fletcher » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:39 pm

Thanks Ralph.

It's a July tradition getting these rookie camp updates. Always insightful and appreciated.
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #40 by Germz » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:24 am

thanks Rtwap.

Never heard of Zach Saar, but the possibility of getting a solid Bingo player out of a development camp invitation is always nice to hear. Hope he continues to impress.

Perron as a slower young Hoffman is more or less what we expected. Always good to get someone like that out of the late rounds. I'm sure the organization will give him several pro seasons to develop.
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #41 by Germz » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:41 pm

Ryan Dzingel signed a two-way deal for next season at 750k. So he'll still be fighting for that roster spot with some of the other depth guys.

In other news, Hoffman filed for arbitation today. Seriously just fucking pay him already. I know he's one-dimensional but I don't see anyone else bringing what he brings.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #42 by senate » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:16 pm

Claesson signed a one year, two way deal.

Dave Cameron will sign as an assistant coach in Calgary. You can gauge how low fan faith is in the Senators' finances that lots of people are speculating that this will free up money for Boucher to hire another assistant coach.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #43 by senate » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:23 am

Brennan says that Ceci and the Senators are far apart on a contract. He also groundlessly speculates that Ceci might miss training camp ... and that Karlsson will leave Ottawa when his contract finishes.

These days, negotiations between the Senators and Cody Ceci’s representative could be held at a monk monastery.

That’s because the two sides are not talking.

Discussions on a new deal for the 22-year-old defenceman recently came to a halt, fuelling speculation that Senators GM Pierre Dorion and Ceci’s agent, J.P. Barry, are a considerable distance apart in their attempts at coming to an agreement.

In fact right now, a betting man might be wiser to put money on the Senators inking Mike Hoffman to a new contract before they get Ceci’s name on one. And Hoffman filed for arbitration Tuesday.

Ceci, who is coming off his entry-level deal, does not have that right. His options are limited. He can either sign or stay home.

The Senators would not consider trading Ceci, nor is it imaginable the Ottawa product would ask to be dealt. But unless there is significant movement over the next 2 1/2 months, Ceci could be a training-camp holdout.

That scenario, of course, is one both sides would like to avoid.

Ceci is a very important piece of the Senators’ puzzle. The 15th overall pick of the 2012 entry draft is coming off the best of his three seasons in the NHL. With 10 goals and 26 points, he was the team’s second highest scoring defenceman. He also had the second best plus-minus among the Ottawa blue liners with a plus-9.

Pretty impressive stuff when you consider that for the first five months of the season, Ceci was stuck with either of the now departed Jared Cowen or Patrick Wiercioch as his partner. When the Senators obtained Dion Phaneuf at the trade deadline, he was paired with Ceci, who thrived with an experienced, stable blue-liner.

Going forward, the Senators will be more than comfortable with a top four that includes Ceci and Phaneuf along with Erik Karlsson and Marc Methot. In fact, their first two pairings should be among the league’s best.

But first, the Senators have to come to terms with Ceci, who is defensively decent and a strong skater with a deceptively hard shot and an intriguing offensive upside.

The former 67’s captain was almost a point-per-game player in his last two seasons of junior hockey. After Karlsson, he should be the best option to quarterback the Senators power play, duties he held for a few games at the last world championship while representing Canada.

If Karlsson prices himself out of this market upon completion of the final three years on his current contract, either Ceci or Thomas Chabot is expected to be the cornerstone of the Ottawa defence.

Ceci was hoping to get a deal done before he left for the worlds in May, at which point it was rumoured the sides were close. Bad rumour, as it turns out.

After getting paid a base salary of $832,500 last season, it’s believed Ceci would like a long-term contract that is comparable to that signed by Morgan Rielly, the 22-year-old Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman and former first-rounder who was given a six-year, $30-million deal in April.

The Senators, on the other hand, probably want to buy some more time before committing those kind of dollars and years to Ceci.

They likely want to see him be more consistent, how he performs in the system that will be employed by new coach Guy Boucher and if he continues to trend upward offensively.

They presumably want Ceci to sign a bridge contract, or play one more year with the qualifying offer raise.

Hence, the stalemate.

How long will it last? Good question. But obviously, the gap stands no chance of closing until the two sides resume talking.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/07/06/ottawa-senators-negotiations-with-cody-ceci-at-a-standstill
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #44 by mayoradamwest » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:49 pm

Whatever, we got Chris Kelly.
Murphy

Post #45 by Murphy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:02 pm

Good ol' Horseface.
Murphy

Post #46 by Murphy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:02 pm

Looking forward to seeing him not score on breakaways.
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #47 by Germz » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:46 pm

An experienced defensive forward seems like a good fit for the team at this point. Bargain price for a proven NHLer trying to make a comeback after what a potential career-ending injury. Worst-case scenario, it will be like that time we brought Corvo back.
TGR
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 13 times
Received rep: 21 times

Post #48 by TGR » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:33 pm

At least Murray is going to go out watching his all-time favourite Senator play.
TGR
Registered Broad

Post #49 by TGR » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:34 pm

TGR
Registered Broad

Post #50 by TGR » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:36 pm

Kelly should help the penalty kill though.

Return to “Ottawa Senators Forum”