Summer recess: The Offseason Thread

FH2002
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 17 times

Re: Summer recess: The Offseason Thread

Post #351 by FH2002 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:28 pm

senate wrote:Dorion really never should have publicly commented on the trade talk.

He learned from the best.
Ismellofhockey
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 24 times
Received rep: 10 times

Post #352 by Ismellofhockey » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:32 am

I don't really understand how you go from "we're gonna try to keep the team together" to "we're gonna let one veteran top 4 D go in the expansion draft, and we're gonna trade the other". Trading Dion made no sense once Methot was picked. It'll only get easier to trade him with each passing summer as his deal nears expiry. What's going to happen to him to make him less tradeable? He can't get any slower. He's managed to make the most out of his pylonness, and I don't see how that would change. He's always going to get a free pass from the refs in front of the net.
- Unwittingly ruining this board since December 2008
RTWAP
Has given rep: 25 times
Received rep: 23 times

Post #353 by RTWAP » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:17 am

Looking ahead to next summer, I was thinking Karlsson might get $11M. Now apparently McDavid is signing for $13.25M on his first contract after ELC. Where does that leave Karlsson next summer? $12M? $12.5M

Whatever it ends up being, I just hope he does two things.
1) Sign for a discount of some sort
2) Extract a commitment for the team to spend close to the cap (otherwise signing for a discount isn't about leaving more money for other players, it's about leaving money for the owner).
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 158 times
Received rep: 109 times

Post #354 by mayoradamwest » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:23 am

FH2002 wrote:
senate wrote:Dorion really never should have publicly commented on the trade talk.

He learned from the best.

I can't fathom phaneuf thinking about it all summer, shouldn't matter.
ColinM
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1 time

Post #355 by ColinM » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:45 pm

RTWAP wrote:Looking ahead to next summer, I was thinking Karlsson might get $11M. Now apparently McDavid is signing for $13.25M on his first contract after ELC. Where does that leave Karlsson next summer? $12M? $12.5M

Whatever it ends up being, I just hope he does two things.
1) Sign for a discount of some sort
2) Extract a commitment for the team to spend close to the cap (otherwise signing for a discount isn't about leaving more money for other players, it's about leaving money for the owner).

McDavid's contract is the first real inflationary contract we've had for a top player in a while. Without googling I could think of the last player to sign for more than 10 million a season.

I still have Karlsson pegged at 8 to 10 million a year for 8 years.
Germz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 88 times
Received rep: 60 times

Post #356 by Germz » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:29 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/plenty-of-interest-in ... a-1.792153

Looks like Da Costa will get another NHL shot next year.

I still think the Sens were wrong to let him go. He really showed improvement in his last year in the organization. Curious to see how he makes out, wherever he lands.
MP
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 124 times
Received rep: 213 times

Post #357 by MP » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:31 pm

Germz wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/plenty-of-interest-in-khl-f-da-costa-1.792153

Looks like Da Costa will get another NHL shot next year.

I still think the Sens were wrong to let him go. He really showed improvement in his last year in the organization. Curious to see how he makes out, wherever he lands.

Boca Da Costsa is a tweener at best, not good enough for top 6, not defensive enough for the bottom 6. Total meh IMO.
MP
Registered Broad

Post #358 by MP » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:34 pm

I do wonder though if the Sens have the best active NHLer drafted by a franchise number in the league. Seems like we have an inordinate number of former draft picks floating around the league these days. Is there a site that keeps said stats?
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #359 by Germz » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:44 pm

MP wrote:Boca Da Costsa is a tweener at best, not good enough for top 6, not defensive enough for the bottom 6. Total meh IMO.

That's how I felt for most of his time here, but in his last season I thought he was finally starting to come around. Might have been "good bad team player" syndrome though. It just seemed odd to be patient with him when he looked bad, and then ditch him when he looked good.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #360 by mayoradamwest » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:00 am

Really hoping there's a Spengler cup guy to be had that I haven't heard of in years. Stacey Roest maybe?
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #361 by mayoradamwest » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:02 am

Tsn lists nick bonino in it's top five. And is broadcasting this for 7 hours.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #362 by mayoradamwest » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:23 am

Nate Thompson replaces Chris Kelly.
senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 247 times
Received rep: 170 times

Post #363 by senate » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:27 am

Thompson is 2 years at $1.65 million per. That's a lot of money for a 4th line center on a budget team.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #364 by mayoradamwest » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:01 pm

Don't love it, but having interchangeable pegs that can play to Boucher's demands worked out well this year. Boucher probably deserves a fair bit of organizational capital.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #365 by senate » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:41 pm

Oh what the fuck.

The smallest front office in the NHL got smaller.
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #366 by Germz » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:25 pm

Disappointing. I wonder what his plans are. Wonder if he's hunting for an AGM job somewhere.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #367 by senate » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:34 pm

Wouldn't be a Senators' offseason without it.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #368 by senate » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:43 pm

ColinM
Registered Broad

Post #369 by ColinM » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:07 pm

mayoradamwest wrote:Don't love it, but having interchangeable pegs that can play to Boucher's demands worked out well this year. Boucher probably deserves a fair bit of organizational capital.

Still what is the point of signing a 30 something year old who played 80 games in the NHL over the past 2 seasons. I would have been happier leaving the icetime for Colin White.
Ismellofhockey
Registered Broad

Post #370 by Ismellofhockey » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:33 pm

Now there's no room for Stalberg, unless they paid a guy $1.65M to be the 13th forward.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #371 by senate » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:01 pm

An ill-omen:

i.m. fletcher
Registered Broad
Received rep: 3 times

Post #372 by i.m. fletcher » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:29 pm

I miss the days of old when the worst part of july 1st free agency was knowing we weren't going to sign anyone and would once again be marching the same team out in the fall.

Now, we overpay bad players, wonder ad nauseum whether a member of management leaving is because of our owner drunk emailing (again) and treat tweets from our captain as if it contains 5 different subtle messages, all of which lead to dread.

But at least the cup run was nice.
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #373 by Germz » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:28 pm

I gotta say, considering 5 weeks ago we were just one 2OT goal away from the Stanley Cup Final, the mass hysteria at HF is even more off-putting than usual.

Being a Sens fan for the last 20 years has been a pretty good ride overall. Even in the supposed no-man's land of the decade since the 2007 team, we've been a playoff team 6 of 9 years, put together at least 3 wonderful and unlikely runs against all odds, and watched one of the best players in the world perform night in and night out.

So whatever, I have my qualms with management, and I worry about the future, but right now I'm content to cut Dorion, Boucher, etc. some slack.

I'd say on the balance we are still one of the more privileged franchises in the league. Sure I'd like to be Pittsburgh or Chicago, and maybe one day, before I die, we will be.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #374 by mayoradamwest » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:32 am

ColinM wrote:
mayoradamwest wrote:Don't love it, but having interchangeable pegs that can play to Boucher's demands worked out well this year. Boucher probably deserves a fair bit of organizational capital.

Still what is the point of signing a 30 something year old who played 80 games in the NHL over the past 2 seasons. I would have been happier leaving the icetime for Colin White.

It's so you're not having to give time to some of the ahl guys when it matters. It's an overpay, but having those guys around who can play "the system" means you can have a lower risk with your bottom line guys. I could be wrong, but Ottawa seems to have started ensuring they have proven legitimate nhl guys in the bottom 3 plus pressbox. They're not good players, but it's perhaps better than giving ice time to a Cody bass type player who has no business being there. It's an odd type of dep, but it's dep.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #375 by mayoradamwest » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:36 am

senate wrote:An ill-omen:

In context, the golden state warriors have gone from being worth a few hundred million to billions. Fair to doubt if we will be able to pay Karlsson, but it's not like the senators and warriors are good comparators.

Also, I think people just need a god damn hug. :dunno:
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #376 by mayoradamwest » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:37 am

I didn't look that up by the way, it was the first in Lebron James's Twitter thread.
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 178 times
Received rep: 104 times

Post #377 by The Bytown Boozer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:11 am

You know what really has me excited is those new jerseys.
:creeper2:
RTWAP

Post #378 by RTWAP » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:58 pm

Random thoughts:

1. If the Sens still had Methot they would have 9 D that have have shown enough to get ice-time (KMDCBW + Claesson, Harpur, and Chabot)
  2. With Neil's departure, Boro's role is less likely to diminish
  3. So even with Methot gone, they still have 8 and the 7-8 guys are pushing hard and looked good
  4. They looked better than Wideman in the playoffs so he better be having the best hockey prep summer of his life or he'll find himself in Belleville next season
  5. I'm really interested to see what kind of regular season we see from Bobby Ryan and Derrick Brassard. Brassard might have a slow start, but his conditioning should be fine. He can work his legs and core without issue, and stickhandling should be OK later in the rehab so it's just contact and slapshots that will be a bit rusty.
  6. I've thought for a while that Karlsson is a negative on the power play. Not for anything he does, but the team feeds him the puck and then at least a few of them stand around waiting for something to happen. If he misses the first month of the season then that's fine with me. Try to establish a more dynamic PP. They showed a few signs of actually pressuring the coverage in the playoffs. Can they progress from there?
  7. The team has 9 forwards who can play with each other: Ryan, Turris, Hoffman, MacArthur, Brassard, Stone, Smith, Pageau, Dzingel. And they have Burrows who is kind of a utility forward now.
  8. The 4th line has Pyatt, Thompson, and whoever slides from the top 9.
  9. That leaves a spare forward slot for someone like Macormick or Paul.
  10. But Brassard probably won't start the season so that let's them keep a young skilled forward up to slide into the 2C spot. The fight for that spot is probably between White and Brown and White probably wins that (no racism). Then he just has to beat out Paul for the playing time.
  11. I'm assuming they don't re-sign Stalberg. Things get really crowded if they do. If was nice having all those extra guys last year but the net two additional forwards were accumulated over the course of the year, not right from training camp. And two of the three new guys were really replacements for Lazar and MacArthur. So similar depth would just require a Stalberg-like pickup at the deadline, baring another season-long injury.
  12. Back to the D, I'm quite impressed with the depth of prospects they have in the system. If we assume Harpur and Chabot will join Claesson in having graduated from prospect to player this season then that still leaves 4 D that have have a decent shot to make it (Englund, Jaros, Wolanin, Lajoie). And Summers and Gendron still have an outside chance to make it as depth D.
  13. If only the forward prospect pool were as talented and deep. This year's draft picks was forward-heavy and forwards can develop quicker so maybe a couple years down the line the prospect picture will be more balanced.
  14. I get the sense the team is looking for improvement from within to some extent this season. Ryan and Brassard certainly showed they could do more. Hoffman and Stone aren't at their peak yet. Pageau is young. But who might decline? Anderson, maybe slightly, but if they do a 51/31 split in nets they he should at least be fresh. Burrows might suck. MacArthur could take a step back but given his work ethic and character it would only be a small one. Is it possible for Phaneuf to get slower? I guess. But if he does then slide him to the third pair and the team's overall D doesn't suffer as much. Claesson and Chabot on the left side for the top two pairings gives up a lot of experience compared to Methot and Phaneuf, but I think they're as good or better overall. And if there are some struggles you still have 5 LD to fill three spots (Claesson, Chabot, Phaneuf, Borowiecki, Harpur).
  15. I wonder if Alfie left because he doesn't want to be involved in efforts to re-sign Karlsson. He can either be his friend and offer him unbiased advice (including advice to stay in Ottawa), or he can be working for the team and feel compelled to stay silent.
  16. Another thought was maybe the team "owed" Alfie money, based on a gentlemen's agreement to pay him more for his last season (the $1M season) if he actually played it and was productive. A couple of years of making $500K-$1M or something similar might have made things right and now he's just ... done. It's a real luxury to be able to stop work and just float for a while. Just focus on family and travel and stuff. Heck, maybe his parents aren't doing great and he's decided the best thing is to spend a lot of time with them now. He can afford to.
  17. Contracts coming up: Pageau and Dzingel (now), Stone, Turris, Ceci, Boro, Anderson, Paul, Harpur (between now and next summer), Claesson (between Jan 1st and next summer)
Ismellofhockey
Registered Broad

Post #379 by Ismellofhockey » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:21 am

Nice post... shame to have made it in summer...

But also, who are you? Halfman Elliotte Friedman?
ColinM
Registered Broad

Post #380 by ColinM » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:38 am

"I wonder if Alfie left because he doesn't want to be involved in efforts to re-sign Karlsson. He can either be his friend and offer him unbiased advice (including advice to stay in Ottawa), or he can be working for the team and feel compelled to stay silent."

Interesting. I think that this could be a factor but probably not the only factor in Alfredsson's decision. Karlsson is going to look for a Carey Price esq contract and I'm not sure Alfredsson wants to negotiate with that as a starting point. Alfredsson had his own negotiation issues with management so I'm not sure how he feels about being on the other side of one.

I think you are also right about the fact that the roster is set.

MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Burrows - Brassard - Ryan
Hoffman - Pageau - Smith
Dzingle - Thompson - Pyatt
Alt Colin White

Cleason - Karlsson
Phaneof - Ceci
Boro/Wideman/Cabot.

I'm sure those 3 lines will probably get shuffled alot.
RTWAP

Post #381 by RTWAP » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:21 am

ColinM wrote:I think you are also right about the fact that the roster is set.

MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Burrows - Brassard - Ryan
Hoffman - Pageau - Smith
Dzingle - Thompson - Pyatt
Alt Colin White

Cleason - Karlsson
Phaneof - Ceci
Boro/Wideman/Cabot.

I think Nick Paul and Ben Harpur might get the 13th forward and 7th D slots out of camp. I think Chabot is a near lock to be on the team full time by January, and White will probably be the first call-up for any top 9 vacancies and will be up full time by late in the year.
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #382 by The Bytown Boozer » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:11 pm

RTWAP wrote:D slots...

Fruity Pebbles
Registered Broad
Received rep: 6 times

Post #383 by Fruity Pebbles » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:35 am

Tough to see how we measure up. We had a lot of disappointments during the season - Brassard and Ryan have already been mentioned. Ceci played hard minutes and the Phaneuf-Ceci pairing didn't look that great at times. Stone struggled with injuries and finding his game.

There are 6 strong teams (including us) and then Detroit and Buffalo. Buffalo could be finally due to wander into town from out of the forest. They don't have McDavid but I don't think their management has been as terrible or their draft picks as poor/unlucky. Toronto looks like it overperformed but maybe they can keep it going.

It still feels a little surreal the team was in Game 7 overtime against the eventual Stanley Cup Champions.
Hossa
Registered Broad
Received rep: 5 times

Post #384 by Hossa » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:00 am

I would expect they'll handle Chabot's first year similar to Karlsson's, whereby he is up most of the year but at points where he might struggle, they send him down to the AHL to work through with less pressure. Karlsson played 12 games in Bingo in his rookie year, and Murray said he showed the most in-season development he's ever seen. I expect they see that as a best practice. But it could also be handled more like Ceci - AHL first, NHL by mid-season.

Of more significance to me is who they try to pair Chabot with, because there's no Filip Kuba around. There's a real glut on the left side, and how they manage Phaneuf, Claesson, Harpur, Boro, Chabot and even Englund remains unclear. I think the fact Dorion has on several occasions highlighted that Harpur can play the right side indicates he and Wideman are battling for 3RD. The rest will probably go into the Boucher blender, and hopefully the result is as little Boro as possible.

My preferred lines:

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
MacArthur - Brassard - Ryan
Dzingel - Pageau - Smith
Pyatt - Thompson - Burrows

Claesson/ Chabot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Claesson/Chabot - Wideman/Harpur
Boro
MP
Registered Broad

Post #385 by MP » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:37 am

To start the season I think we might see
Phaneuf-Karlsson
Chabot-Ceci
Cleasson-Wideman
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #386 by mayoradamwest » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:20 pm

3x$3.1 for Pageau
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #387 by The Bytown Boozer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:32 pm

MP wrote:Chabot-Ceci

senate
Registered Broad

Post #388 by senate » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:26 am

In the middle seems fair.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #389 by mayoradamwest » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:26 pm

1.4 is my guess.
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #390 by The Bytown Boozer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:30 pm

Still think the Sens should target Markov. :mitch_earthling:
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #391 by mayoradamwest » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:28 am

DZingle signs for two years. 1.5 and 2.1 I believe.
MP
Registered Broad

Post #392 by MP » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:04 pm

The Bytown Boozer wrote:Still think the Sens should target Markov. :mitch_earthling:

Markov and Jagr...
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #393 by The Bytown Boozer » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:44 pm

:mitch_earthling:
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #394 by The Bytown Boozer » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:42 am

Chabot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Markov
Claesson-Ceci

Xtra D: Wideman, Wolanin, Bičánek
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #395 by The Bytown Boozer » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:09 am

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Michalek-Brassard-Ryan
MacArthur-Pageau-Burrows
Dzingle-Smith-Pyatt

Xtra F: White, Thompson, Da Costa, probably Ryan Shannon
MP
Registered Broad

Post #396 by MP » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:39 pm

The Bytown Boozer wrote:Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Michalek-Brassard-Ryan
MacArthur-Pageau-Burrows
Dzingle-Smith-Pyatt

Xtra F: White, Thompson, Da Costa, probably Ryan Shannon

Michalek!? Did you meant Jagr?
FH2002
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 17 times

Post #397 by FH2002 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:05 am

I’m hoping that was supposed to say Oleg Saprykin.
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #398 by The Bytown Boozer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:22 pm

Milan Michálek is a 32 year-old Czech professional ice hockey left winger who is currently an unrestricted free agent.

He loved this team and he should get another shot.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #399 by mayoradamwest » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:54 am

Johnny Oduya signs for small cap hit and bonus.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #400 by mayoradamwest » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:13 am

Oduya played about 20 mins a night with the blackhawks in he playoffs, averaged 18 mins over the season. Feels like a low risk way to ensure the floor of quality is acceptable, and there's no big loss if he gets passed by younger players.

Return to “Ottawa Senators Forum”