Summer recess: The Offseason Thread

mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 203 times
Received rep: 122 times

Re: Summer recess: The Offseason Thread

Post #201 by mayoradamwest » Tue May 30, 2017 7:14 pm

Sens pending RFA's
G - O'Connor - Stats are terrible (sub-900 including a stint in the ECHL this year, not going according to plan. Question is - the team was terrible, and so how much is on MO’C?
Next year: Why keep?

G - Driedger - terrible stats, but hit 900 for a sv%. Did better as year went on.
Potential 1a/1B with Hogburg next year.

F - Dzingel - started much better than he finished, very fast skater who can get himself into dangerous spots. Hit a wall late in the year, but there’s still room for growth.
Potentially a solid bottom 6 option with ability to step into second/third lines on occasion.

F - Pageau - overperforms in playoffs, local legend, great d, not a lot of offense. Z. Smith contract would be amazing.
Not enough offense to be a Patrice Bergeron type, but a really valuable player.

D - Jokipakka - name was too hard to spell and therefore was left off the lineup card on most nights. Probably gone from the NHL.

D - Sieloff - AHL dep; who cares?
F - Rupert - same.

Sens UFA’s:
G- Condon - saved Ottawa’s season, and while not on par with Anderson kept things rolling during a difficult time. Definitely earned a contract, I wonder if teams are reluctant to sign players like this prior to the expansion draft. Not sure, but wink wink nudge nudge saynomore type deals make a lot of sense at the moment and so wouldn’t be shocked to see him back within a week of losing whichever 6th defenseman we lose.

F- Stalberg - consistently solid bottom six option, plays hard, great speed, everything you want in a bottom line player. Hopefully someone who can stay.

F- Neil - local legend. As ismellofhockey said; I could live with him hanging around and not playing for his “role” on the team. There’s no room for him on a truly competitive roster, but if he wants to be healthy scratched all year I see now issue. Kinda shocked he was talking about coming back, seemed like that last game was a perfect send (you know, the one that Ottawa won because Neil took to punching that guy who deserved punching.

Not “sad” to see him go, but does make me feel old. Him and Fisher were the types of guys the team needed to get a physical reputation. He did a lot for the team over the years and amazingly, provided some pretty amazing moments. While I would love to hear another *scraaaaamble….. NEIL!” I don’t think it’s in the cards.

F- Kelly - Like Neil, a little surprised to see him talking about coming back. The league has passed him by, and while I’ll always be a fan of one hell of a classy player - he’s done.

F- Wingels - He was an actual NHL fourth line player, which was an improvement on the guys who couldn't be trusted in that role (Neil, Kelly…) Nice to have him around, but no real reason to keep him.

F- Pyatt - turned out to be a genuine NHL player. Not enough skill, but… should be able to keep Chris DiDomenico out of the lineup.

The rest are AHL dep from a very bad AHL team. I can’t be bothered to care, or to write anything.

F- McCormick
F- Bailey
F- Nehring
F- Varone
D- Gormley

(I guess they Signed Christian Saros today. Know noting about him.)
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #202 by mayoradamwest » Tue May 30, 2017 7:15 pm

Overall:

As is, the Sens could start the season and basically run out a team that returns much of what's here now. The list of playoff injuries is trickling out, and with those healed up we should see some differences in at least a few guys. (Stone for example was playing through a leg issue.)

Looking at the depth chart, the D is acceptable as is and while there are at least 2 open forward slots, there is also room for “taxi squad” meaning that there should be approximately 2 extra forwards and 1 extra D.

Bring back Stalberg would fill one of those slots, and Pyatt would fill out the fourth line leaving only the extra slots.

Prospects:
Seems a given that White and Chabot have a chance to make the team, but that does so rarely happen. Logan Brown was hurt most of the year so I can’t see him having an open window right away.

That means, we should see approximately:

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Ryan - Brassard - MacArthur (may retire)
Brassard -Pageau - Burrows
Pyatt - Smith - Stalberg
White

Karlsson-Methot
Ceci - Phaneuf
Chabot - Borowiecki
Claesson

Anderson
Condon

Now obviously things can change, and there’s an expansion draft to worry about, but all in all that’s a fairly good team and very close to the one that nearly made the SCF. Seems impossible to predict White/Chabot at the moment, and MacArthur will desperately need replacing if he can’t go.

20 contracts; $6.7 million in cap space (not that I expect them to be a cap team.)
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #203 by mayoradamwest » Tue May 30, 2017 7:16 pm

RTWAP wrote:6 posts in a row!

[fake edit] 7!

:paranoid:
Ismellofhockey
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 26 times
Received rep: 12 times

Post #204 by Ismellofhockey » Wed May 31, 2017 12:13 am

mayoradamwest wrote:Overall:

That means, we should see approximately:

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Brassard -Pageau - Burrows
Pyatt - Smith - Stalberg
White

Karlsson-Methot
Ceci - Phaneuf
Chabot - Borowiecki
Claesson

Anderson
Condon

That's twice you pencil in Brassard as a C and a LW, and twice you fuck up all the right-left positions. Fucking amateur.

But what's the point in making lines. Boucher will juggle all his forwards however and whenever he wants.

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Claesson/Chabot - Borowiecki

Anderson
Condon (hopefully)

First callups: White, Harpur, Paul, Englund, Perron
- Unwittingly ruining this board since December 2008
Ismellofhockey
Registered Broad

Post #205 by Ismellofhockey » Wed May 31, 2017 12:13 am

mayoradamwest wrote:
RTWAP wrote:6 posts in a row!

[fake edit] 7!

:paranoid:

Hold my beer...
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #206 by mayoradamwest » Wed May 31, 2017 1:29 pm

Ismellofhockey wrote:
That's twice you pencil in Brassard as a C and a LW, and twice you fuck up all the right-left positions. Fucking amateur.

But what's the point in making lines. Boucher will juggle all his forwards however and whenever he wants.

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Claesson/Chabot - Borowiecki

Anderson
Condon (hopefully)

First callups: White, Harpur, Paul, Englund, Perron

I look at it more as an approximate depth chart. It was a ten page way to say we seem to have about 2 real holes thst need filling, though I can understand people who say you should also fill a third.
Germz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 99 times
Received rep: 67 times

Post #207 by Germz » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:46 am

Christian Jaros signs a 3-year entry-level deal.

https://www.nhl.com/senators/news/senat ... -289670360

He's coming off a pretty good season in the Swedish league. Curious to see how he handles the AHL. Seems to be one of the more promising late-round picks of recent years.
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 211 times
Received rep: 117 times

Post #208 by The Bytown Boozer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:34 pm

I don't know about you guys but I'm still heartbroken about this one.

On the bright side, I'm no longer having nightmares involving Jeff Friesen. :paulrus:
RTWAP
Has given rep: 25 times
Received rep: 27 times

Post #209 by RTWAP » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:26 am

mayoradamwest wrote:Trying to think through the roster for next year

Forwards:
Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Brassar d -Pageau - Burrows
DiDomenico- Smith- White Italics=may not make team.

Weakness:
High end talent: especially clear against the Pens (a team that has 2 Sidney Crosby’s.) Would absolutely love a star worthy of playing with Karlsson, but unless someone takes a huge step forward I think we’ll see more scoring by committee.

You have Brassard twice. Do you mean Dzingel?

Also, I think the Sens investigate resigning Pyatt and Stalberg.

Regarding talent injections, the only guys I'm aware of that might be available right now are Duchene, Landeskog (maybe), Eberle, and RNH. Unless we're doing a quantity for quality thing, I don't see how adding any of those guys significantly improves the team, and if it's mostly picks and prospects then we probably can't afford the additional salary.
MP
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 144 times
Received rep: 264 times

Post #210 by MP » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:32 am

You forgot us trading for Tavares...
BlackRedGold
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 6 times

Post #211 by BlackRedGold » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:13 pm

RTWAP wrote:
Regarding talent injections, the only guys I'm aware of that might be available right now are Duchene, Landeskog (maybe), Eberle, and RNH. Unless we're doing a quantity for quality thing, I don't see how adding any of those guys significantly improves the team, and if it's mostly picks and prospects then we probably can't afford the additional salary.

Eric Staal might be available give the Wild's expansion draft issues. If not for potential issues with Dion, he'd be an interesting addition.
MP
Registered Broad

Post #212 by MP » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:08 pm

Condolences MAW... :(
MP
Registered Broad

Post #213 by MP » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:12 pm

MAW...? Tell me you weren't actually MAW....?
MP
Registered Broad

Post #214 by MP » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:18 pm

Phaneuf asked to waive NMC....
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #215 by mayoradamwest » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:24 pm

MP wrote:MAW...? Tell me you weren't actually MAW....?

You're just as upset as I was when I wrote you complaining about urban transport policy.
senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 251 times
Received rep: 215 times

Post #216 by senate » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:01 pm

So, does Vegas flip Methot this summer or do they wait for the deadline?
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #217 by Germz » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:17 pm

The bright side of losing Methot would be keeping Claesson! Silver linings!
MP
Registered Broad

Post #218 by MP » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:37 pm

I still think we protect 4 D, and protect Turris, Hoffman, Stone and Brassard.

Replacing a forward is gonna be easier in the long run. I'd happily sacrifice Ryan, Pageau, MacArthur, Smith or Dzingle before Methot. Frankly, exposing those guys might even have Vegas forget Cleasson.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #219 by mayoradamwest » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:09 pm

senate wrote:https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/874655229811273730

Methot is a risky take. NHL seems to want vegas to do well right away, but smarter move is massive accumulation of assets for the long term. Methot is a valuable hockey player, but he is older and only has limited team control remaining. while we should be afraid of losing methot - I don't think vegas would realistically keep him from Ottawa for the hell of it.

if Ottawa can get them to take dzingle, and maybe even a few seconds, that would probably be more valuable to vegas.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #220 by senate » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:18 pm

mayoradamwest wrote:

Methot is a risky take. NHL seems to want vegas to do well right away, but smarter move is massive accumulation of assets for the long term. Methot is a valuable hockey player, but he is older and only has limited team control remaining. while we should be afraid of losing methot - I don't think vegas would realistically keep him from Ottawa for the hell of it.

Vegas has 30 picks to fill a 23-man roster. They can pick players and immediately trade them for picks or prospects. A team looking for a veteran top-4 defenceman could work out a trade for Methot with Vegas before the expansion draft.
MP
Registered Broad

Post #221 by MP » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:42 pm

I still can't fathom protecting Smith or Pageau over Methot. We're a team built to be D first, so protect 4-4-1, and let them take a third liner or Bobby's cap hit.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #222 by mayoradamwest » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:47 pm

senate wrote:
mayoradamwest wrote:

Vegas has 30 picks to fill a 23-man roster. They can pick players and immediately trade them for picks or prospects. A team looking for a veteran top-4 defenceman could work out a trade for Methot with Vegas before the expansion draft.

Sure, and Ottawa can as well. :dunno:
PredsFan77
Has given rep: 106 times
Received rep: 227 times

Post #223 by PredsFan77 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:57 pm

do yall want me to go visit Karlsson in the hospital
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
senate
Registered Broad

Post #224 by senate » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:28 pm

PredsFan77 wrote:do yall want me to go visit Karlsson in the hospital

Yes, please. And, if we could further impose on your kindness, please bring him some calla lilies; they are his favourite.
RTWAP

Post #225 by RTWAP » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:13 pm

MP wrote:I still think we protect 4 D, and protect Turris, Hoffman, Stone and Brassard.

Replacing a forward is gonna be easier in the long run. I'd happily sacrifice Ryan, Pageau, MacArthur, Smith or Dzingle before Methot. Frankly, exposing those guys might even have Vegas forget Cleasson.

Agreed, except I think I'd keep Pageau and expose or trade Brassard.

Also, if they lose Smith then they'll be in danger of turning into a very wimpy group of forwards. So they'd better address that if it happens. I think they could have beat Pittsburgh if they'd had a couple of speedy bangers (Schubert-style), or another top-end forward, or another 3-4 D-man for the 3rd pair. Speedy bangers with not much offense are a lot cheaper than the other two things that might have put them over the top.

The only reason to expose Methot is if they look ahead to next summer and conclude there is no way they can resign Methot and Karlsson. If they aren't resigning Methot then what does that say to Karlsson? It might be better to "lose" him in the expansion draft (because of Phaneuf, hands tied, circumstances, yada yada) and then slide a cheap Claesson into Methot's spot and further develop their chemistry. If Claesson looks decent in the first 3 months of the season then come Jan 1st I would try to resign him to a 5-year $13M contract ($2.6 average - $1.6M, $2.1M, $2.6M, $3.1M, $3.6M).
PredsFan77
Has given rep: 106 times
Received rep: 227 times

Post #226 by PredsFan77 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:40 pm

senate wrote:
PredsFan77 wrote:do yall want me to go visit Karlsson in the hospital

Yes, please. And, if we could further impose on your kindness, please bring him some calla lilies; they are his favourite.

he's got a room at the Ritz. I just talked to him and sent yalls regards. Nice chap.
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #227 by Germz » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:22 pm

RTWAP wrote:The only reason to expose Methot is if they look ahead to next summer and conclude there is no way they can resign Methot and Karlsson. If they aren't resigning Methot then what does that say to Karlsson? It might be better to "lose" him in the expansion draft (because of Phaneuf, hands tied, circumstances, yada yada) and then slide a cheap Claesson into Methot's spot and further develop their chemistry. If Claesson looks decent in the first 3 months of the season then come Jan 1st I would try to resign him to a 5-year $13M contract ($2.6 average - $1.6M, $2.1M, $2.6M, $3.1M, $3.6M).

This is basically what I want.
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #228 by Germz » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:12 pm

The Chris Neil era is over in Ottawa.

(At least until Alfie gives him some office job after his formal retirement).

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/ ... arate-ways
edgar_dong
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 346 times
Received rep: 413 times

Post #229 by edgar_dong » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:15 am

"In front, NEIL...

he fanned on it." :deaner:
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #230 by Germz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:32 am

ColinM
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1 time

Post #231 by ColinM » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:47 am

Disappointing since it would have been nice to have him as a life long Senator but not disappointing enough that I would want him to take the roster spot of a 21 or 22 year old forward who played in Bingo last year.

I think the odds are 50 - 50 Neil is retired but just doesn't know it yet.
ColinM
Registered Broad

Post #232 by ColinM » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:49 am

The thing is I don't think Vegas would have wanted Pheonuf's contract in the first place so he was probably safe.

Still I'd like to try to protect 4 to keep Karlsson happy. Forwards tend to be easier to replace anyway.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #233 by mayoradamwest » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:11 pm

Habs just picked up Drouin, for Mike Sergachev

That's.... interesting.
RTWAP

Post #234 by RTWAP » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:13 pm

I still think Neil might be back. They wanted him back. He just wasn't willing to accept the role they had for him. Unless he can do much better elsewhere then why leave?
RTWAP

Post #235 by RTWAP » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:20 pm

Dorion says he has received trade calls for all three D-men (Phaneuf, Methot, Ceci). If he can unload Phaneuf without it costing much then that's fine with me. Freeing up the money would be good. And a left side of Methot, Chabot, Claesson and Boro is just fine. Methbot and Borsson? Chathotssowicki?
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #236 by mayoradamwest » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:14 pm

Sylvain St Laurent says:
- door open for Neil, once he retired
- Dorion still deciding what to protect.
- Chris Kelly may be next years chris Neil.
Ismellofhockey
Registered Broad

Post #237 by Ismellofhockey » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:52 pm

mayoradamwest wrote:Habs just picked up Drouin, for Mike Sergachev

That's.... interesting.

Tampa was losing a good forward to the ED before this trade. Now they can pretty much protect everyone. I wonder if the Habs plan on playing Drouin at centre. They don't really need another winger. Maybe they plan on putting Drouin with Galchenyuk and see who can take over the C position.
Ricard_Persson
Has given rep: 46 times
Received rep: 60 times

Post #238 by Ricard_Persson » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:08 pm

Neil won't play again in the league. He couldn't keep up last season.

And I also don't understand these front office jobs? What is chris Neil going to bring to you as a company?

All these old players have to just start retiring and leaving. No fake jobs please.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #239 by mayoradamwest » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:31 pm

Ricard_Persson wrote:Neil won't play again in the league. He couldn't keep up last season.

And I also don't understand these front office jobs? What is chris Neil going to bring to you as a company?

All these old players have to just start retiring and leaving. No fake jobs please.

Community relations. Ticket sales. Our fan base is really negative, give me something nice they can take pictures with.
Ricard_Persson
Has given rep: 46 times
Received rep: 60 times

Post #240 by Ricard_Persson » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:38 pm

Also, I'm not too excited to lose Methot, Claesson or Harpur.

Totally fine without Ceci, or Wideman.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #241 by senate » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:06 pm

Ricard_Persson wrote:And I also don't understand these front office jobs? What is chris Neil going to bring to you as a company?

Oil changes?

But really, if they didn't give a job to Phillips, they aren't going to give one to Neil.
ColinM
Registered Broad

Post #242 by ColinM » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:39 pm

mayoradamwest wrote:
Ricard_Persson wrote:Neil won't play again in the league. He couldn't keep up last season.

Community relations. Ticket sales. Our fan base is really negative, give me something nice they can take pictures with.

Exactly. Neil would be useful for the occasional photo-op and could likely fill in a few scouting reports from the OHL. Someone has to do those things and it might as well be a long time Senator.

Although Chris Neil is not Maurice Richard, but Maurice Richard made quite the career out of being Maurice Richard once he retired.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #243 by senate » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:13 pm

No surprise:

MP
Registered Broad

Post #244 by MP » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:10 pm

So Methot or Claesson are gonzo.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #245 by senate » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:34 am

OTTAWA SENATORS

Available
Casey Bailey (F)
Mike Blunden (F)
Alexandre Burrows (F)
Stephane Da Costa (F)
Christopher DiDomenico (F)
Nikita Filatov (F)
Chris Kelly (F)
Clarke MacArthur (F)
Max McCormick (F)
Chris Neil (F)
Tom Pyatt (F)
Ryan Rupert (F)
Bobby Ryan (F)
Viktor Stalberg (F)
Phil Varone (F)
Tommy Wingels (F)
Mark Borowiecki (D)
Fredrik Claesson (D)
Brandon Gormley (D)
Jyrki Jokipakka (D)
Marc Methot (D)
Patrick Sieloff (D)
Chris Wideman (D)
Mikael Wikstrand (D)
Mike Condon (G)
Chris Driedger (G)
Andrew Hammond (G)

Protected
Derick Brassard (F)
Ryan Dzingel (F)
Mike Hoffman (F)
Jean-Gabriel Pageau (F)
Zack Smith (F)
Mark Stone (F)
Kyle Turris (F)
Cody Ceci (D)
Erik Karlsson (D)
Dion Phaneuf (D)
Craig Anderson (G)
senate
Registered Broad

Post #246 by senate » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:34 am

I sure hope that Vegas doesn't take Filatov or Da Costa.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #247 by senate » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:37 am

Calgary protected Lazar. That's how bad things are going there.
MP
Registered Broad

Post #248 by MP » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:24 pm

I'd give a 3rd if Mcphee takes Filatov, otherwise I'd tell him to GTFO.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #249 by senate » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:00 pm

Vegas' price for not picking a player is supposedly a 1st this year or next or a package of equivalent value in prospects and young players.

So is keeping Methot worth a 1st?
Ismellofhockey
Registered Broad

Post #250 by Ismellofhockey » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:35 pm

MP wrote:So Methot or Claesson are gonzo.

I wouldn't count out Ryan. Vegas has many options to fill out their defence. There are defencemen of all types and ages naked and exposed, but top 6 forwards are kept safe like family jewels. A first line of Neal - Staal - Ryan might be good for Vegas' marketing.

Return to “Ottawa Senators Forum”