Outdoor Game & Alumni Game

Ricard_Persson
Has given rep: 51 times
Received rep: 68 times

Outdoor Game & Alumni Game

Post #1 by Ricard_Persson » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:40 am

Apparently it's this week. :paulrus:

The alumni game is really the only thing that I'm looking for...don't even think it's on TV, but I bet more people want to see that game than the main one at landsdown.

When you read the articles leading up to the game and look at the rosters, it may be the first time that the Ottawa Senators feel like a tradition for now multi generations. There is finally some history there, even though currently the future looks murky. I remember in Grade 5 when someone came on the school PA system that summer afternoon to say that Ottawa had been granted a franchise. Now, looking back the years fly by and there has been some truly great and also horrendous memories following the team over the years.

There has always been ups and downs in the past and their will be ups and downs in the future. The dark times make the bright times that much brighter.

Looking forward to the Alumni game. Great to see Yashin back, probably the most skilled forward in franchise history. Younger fans may not realize just how good he was on a terrible team. Great to hear the turtleneck is back on the ice for one more skate...

And, no, Yashin isn’t going to disappoint anybody by wearing his signature turtleneck underneath his jersey.

“I’ve got it with me. It’s supposed to be minus-35,” Yashin said with a laugh. “I don’t have my hockey equipment with me, but the Senators said they will provide me with some, but I do have my turtleneck.”
NyQuil
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 10 times

Re: Outdoor Game & Alumni Game

Post #2 by NyQuil » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:37 pm

I am going to the Outdoor game on Saturday.

I did see the Alumni game line-ups and they are actually surprisingly flush.
Germz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 104 times
Received rep: 70 times

Post #3 by Germz » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:03 pm

My favourite Yashin memory is from the weird 2000-2001 season.

I was at a game early in the year and there was a middle-aged guy behind me who very quickly became extremely drunk.

Every time Yashin was on the ice the guy would heckle him at the top of his voice. We were way up in the 300s but the arena was filled by its usual deafening silence and sitting-on-hands, so the man's bellowing voice carried far.

"YAAAA-SHIIIN."

"YAAAA-SHIIIN."

Yashin was playing hard. At one point early in the 3rd, he made a few great plays in a row - broke up a play for the other team and then nearly scored himself. All the while:

"YAAAA-SHIIIN."

"YAAAA-SHIIIN."

And then finally, a little bit quieter, as #19 skated to the bench after creating a great scoring chance.

"...Good shift."
Pancakes
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 6 times
Received rep: 11 times

Post #4 by Pancakes » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:37 pm

I've been happily not watching the Sens lately. Keeping my memories of their run to the ECF's fresh and Bobby is still a hero.

Might watch this one, might not. Probably not.
Ricard_Persson

Post #5 by Ricard_Persson » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:02 pm

I found this classic from Yashin's rookie season. A few things:

-CJOH broadcast which would have been Greg Millen's rookie year from doing colour. Don Chevrier I think calling the game? Anyone know? Dean Brown came in a couple years later.
-Look out for the wild video white balance on the replays. Wear sunglasses when watching.
-What a crew of rejects that team was made of. General joy just being in a close game. Love it.
-Daigles Jofa helmet and CCM skates. I remember he put his skates in the skate oven before a game on the road and forgot about them. They half melted and he had to play in them. I remember the game cameras zooming in on them and the broadcast crew laughing at him. Poor Daigle, pretty much sums up his career.

-Yashin was so mature for a rookie. Makes the current day NHL rookies look like children. A man at 18 years old. He was so big at 6-3 for that era of hockey. Such a good shot, heavy. I'd love to see him with today's stick technology. He'd make Hoffman look like an average NHL shooter. Bill Ranford still hasn't seen that snap shot from the slot for the game winner.

FH2002
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 18 times

Post #6 by FH2002 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:08 pm

How many sections will be tarped off for the outdoor game?
Ricard_Persson

Post #7 by Ricard_Persson » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:12 pm

FH2002 wrote:How many sections will be tarped off for the outdoor game?

Just checked. There's surprisingly only about 250 seats available.

Must have sold them in October.
NyQuil
Registered Broad

Post #8 by NyQuil » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:59 pm

I actually have a copy of Dragonlance: Dragons of Winter Night : Chronicles Book 2 signed by Alexei Yashin.

I loaned it to Mrs NyQuil who brought it to her brother's hockey game who was playing Yashin's brother and Alexei was there.

He was apparently quite happy to sign a random fantasy novel.

Now it's worth a fortune!
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 229 times
Received rep: 127 times

Post #9 by The Bytown Boozer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:28 am

Murphy
Has given rep: 61 times
Received rep: 13 times

Post #10 by Murphy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:20 pm

you can watch the alumni game here tonight
https://www.facebook.com/RTVOttawa/
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #11 by The Bytown Boozer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:02 pm

JIMMY KYTE WITH THE HATTY TONIGHT. BOOK IT
senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 253 times
Received rep: 237 times

Post #12 by senate » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:47 pm

Why did we trade Daigle again?
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #13 by The Bytown Boozer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:48 pm

After years of being a punchline in the Ottawa market, Daigle definitely showed up today with something to prove.
Ricard_Persson

Post #14 by Ricard_Persson » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:44 pm

This looked pretty good despite the shitty Rogers stream. Not sure how you guys watch streams.

Anyway, it would have been a good game to be at, and would have looked great broadcast on tsn5.

Leclaire got lit up. He’s picked up right where he left off.
Ricard_Persson

Post #15 by Ricard_Persson » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:35 pm

Craiger is going to pitch a shutout. I can feel it with 12 mins remaining.
Fruity Pebbles
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 9 times

Post #16 by Fruity Pebbles » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:24 pm

It was pretty great to see Karlsson and so many guys relaxed after that horrific period where nothing was going right. Despite Melnyk's unintentional (delusional?) attempts to sabotage things - it went well.

I hope Bettman and the NHL talked to him about shutting up and the need to be careful with his statements about the NCC and the LeBreton development.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 224 times
Received rep: 126 times

Post #17 by mayoradamwest » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:46 am

Well, at Biovail they say - that Melnyk's debt grew three sizes that day. And then - the true meaning of witless came through, as melnyk found the mics of *ten channels,* plus two!
Ricard_Persson

Post #18 by Ricard_Persson » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:12 am

Montreal must have been really flat. It’s hard to tell since Ottawa did seem to be skating, actually had a forecheck, got set up down low, and owned the neutral zone. All things not done since October. They also had support when on the offence skating through the neutral and into Mtls zone...always a guy close to move the puck to...and with speed. A rarity lately.

Anderson totally zoned in and anticipating the shots not reacting to them. In a weird rink with weird lighting he was all over the puck seeing it like an orange road hockey ball.

I really like Matt Duchenses game over the last three or four games. He’s totally not getting any luck but is creating a lot with his speed. I think he’s been ottawas best forward over that stretch. Only a matter of time before he goes point per game pace for a week or two. That Stone, Ryan and Duch line is all kinds of skill if Stone can catalyze them. Hopefully Boucher keeps them together for two weeks through the good and bad. This team needs some set lines so guys can really get comfortable.

Don’t look now but Ottawa could slip back into it if Craig Anderson keeps seeing the puck like he was. The good thing going to Ottawa is that Montreal and Boston also have some issues. Neither team is a piece of art. One of the three is going to make it choosing between the three is like choosing something to take home from the expired food rack at the grocery store. Close your eyes and grab.
NyQuil
Registered Broad

Post #19 by NyQuil » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:33 am

I'm not looking now.

Return to “Canadian Tire Fire Centre”