Trade Proposal

senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 252 times
Received rep: 264 times

Re: Trade Proposal

Post #101 by senate » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:14 pm

Ryan McDonagh to the Lightning also pretty much eliminates Karlsson chances of going to Tampa in the offseason.

MP wrote:They traded with Detroit?

Detroit traded Tatar for Vegas' 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks.
MP
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 155 times
Received rep: 337 times

Post #102 by MP » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:31 pm

Anyone want to buy my Nick Shore jersey?
ColinM
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1 time
Received rep: 14 times

Post #103 by ColinM » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:47 pm

So who would have traded Karlsson for what Tampa traded to New York?
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 238 times
Received rep: 130 times

Post #104 by The Bytown Boozer » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:50 pm

This may very well be the finest day in Ottawa Sens history.
MP
Registered Broad

Post #105 by MP » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:51 pm

I think, that was a terrible package. Glad we didnt bite.
ColinM
Registered Broad

Post #106 by ColinM » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:03 pm

MP wrote:I think, that was a terrible package. Glad we didnt bite.

Agreed. It definitely would not have been marketable.
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 31 times
Received rep: 254 times

Post #107 by Craig » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:08 pm

Two firsts, Two seconds (one of which can be upgraded to a first if Tampa win a cup) and upgrading from Miller to Namestiknov(sp?) really isn't that bad a haul.

I'm always amused how prospects suddenly stop being worth a first round pick as soon as their drafted. Those two kids were taken in 2016, their value is probably roughly their draft position still.
MP
Registered Broad

Post #108 by MP » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:09 pm

ColinM wrote:

Agreed. It definitely would not have been marketable.

Namestnikov is Cory Conacher v.2.0. a product of the team around him, he's not a key piece, and late round first(s) aren't cutting it for HotKarl.
sensdiehard
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 8 times
Received rep: 9 times

Post #109 by sensdiehard » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:13 pm

Dorion pouring cold water on the rumour planted that the players turned up the music in the dressing room when he was speaking. Says you could hear a pin drop. Between high fives i guess. Also says he got a nail in his tire the other day. I guess its possible.

GDT's for the rest of the year ought to be interesting. Hard to imagine the frame of mind for the players running out the season. Does karl start giving interviews again soon.
Transplanted Caper
Has given rep: 63 times
Received rep: 177 times

Post #110 by Transplanted Caper » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:55 pm

Probably fine to wait until the summer when more teams might be in, and there's less of a time crunch and less need to make salaries fir under the cap. I don't blame him, because he has to spin something, but that was a pretty implausible explanation from Dorion, today. I mean, if Karlsson wants to be a Senator for life, and you have been given the resources to make that happen, the last few weeks/months never happen, let alone in the Melnyk infused dumpster fire it turned into.
Ricard_Persson
Has given rep: 53 times
Received rep: 69 times

Post #111 by Ricard_Persson » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:14 pm

We're in a new time with technology. Hard to say how much is true and not. I think we're at a point where most is probably false. There's just too much coming out there to sift through when looking for truth. It must be frustrating when you're on the inside knowing what is happening and then reading what people think is happening.

I thought it was a fairly honest speech for Dorion. The wild card is Melnyk. For Dorion, I think he should have stepped up and said we aren't trading Karlsson when the rumours started two months ago. Was it the fact the Melnyk will not offer a contract or was it a young GM getting caught up in the "what if's" that came in as offers when he didn't put the fire out early. Hard to say.

I would have bet that Karlsson would have signed long term for fair value if asked two months back. Now there's stories that he stole $350 from Melnyk for an Uber, didn't turn down the stereo in the dressing room, and is no mad because Alfredsson was allowed to walk away twice. Really, I don't know what's going on, but I know money talks, and I also know at least 2 of those 3 rumours are probably false. How many players actually leave teams for a chance to "win". Not that many. If they get fair offers from where they are comfortable, they usually sign on for more years as they feel a responsibly to the team mates and fans. I would still say Karlsson feels this. A chance to win is so over-hyped. Teams have 3-4 years windows, and contracts are twice as long. It's hard to find a certainty to win.

I agree with Dorion's line where he said 'We're 29th place, it is my job to listen to all offers". I do think that's true, and a valid point. I think maybe if he had more experience, he would have shut that down a bit. I'm sure part of him was curious what offers would come in. Could you imagine being in his office this week? It would be captivating to hear the back and forth talk. I'd pay a couple grand to be able to sit in the corner and watch. I think Dorion maybe got caught in that rush, just a little.

Or, Melnyk straight up told him he won't go up as high as Karlsson will get. We won't know for a while.
senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 252 times
Received rep: 264 times

Post #112 by senate » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:37 pm

I think that Dorion was sort of telling the truth. Karlsson wants to stay in the city of Ottawa and Dorion wants to keep Karlsson and he thinks that he can fit his new deal in the team budget. But does Karlsson want to keep playing for Melnyk's Ottawa Senators? No. Does Melnyk want to pay Karlsson fair market value? No.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 238 times
Received rep: 130 times

Post #113 by mayoradamwest » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:46 am

MP wrote:
mayoradamwest wrote:Soon we'll know who's going to be here for the next two months - Stone

Is that an actual quote?

As close as I could get it.
ColinM
Registered Broad

Post #114 by ColinM » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:23 am

Craig wrote:

Two firsts, Two seconds (one of which can be upgraded to a first if Tampa win a cup) and upgrading from Miller to Namestiknov(sp?) really isn't that bad a haul.

I'm always amused how prospects suddenly stop being worth a first round pick as soon as their drafted. Those two kids were taken in 2016, their value is probably roughly their draft position still.

Prospects are useful, but for a player of Karlsson’s caliber I would have expected a roster player. I might have bit on Sergechev but it doesn’t look like he was on the table.
MP
Registered Broad

Post #115 by MP » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:13 am

Craig wrote:

IMO, tampa got tge two best players. Miller is a much better piece then Namestnikov. And prospects do lose there lustre after being drafted as they are evaluated at the pro level. Not to say they are worthless, just there's a much better evaluation of they're upside a few years in.
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 31 times
Received rep: 254 times

Post #116 by Craig » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:58 am

They've more or less lived up to expectations.

I'd love for someone to defend Miller > Namestnikov in some way. Their value has to be pretty close.
TGR
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 15 times
Received rep: 23 times

Post #117 by TGR » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:26 pm

Will this guy decide Karlsson's fate?

Return to “Canadian Tire Fire Centre”