GDT: Everyone you love leaves

senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 252 times
Received rep: 274 times

GDT: Everyone you love leaves

Post #1 by senate » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:21 pm

It's Karlsson's last home game as a Senator. Don't be too sad though. I'm sure Ottawa will have another once in a generation player in several decades, tops.

senate
Registered Broad

Re: GDT: Everyone you love leaves you

Post #2 by senate » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:22 pm

Oh and friendly reminder to purchase your 2018-19 season tickets now!

mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 242 times
Received rep: 131 times

Re: GDT: Everyone you love leaves

Post #3 by mayoradamwest » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:40 pm

Blessed are the cheese makers.
Boring Choice #2
Has given rep: 416 times
Received rep: 419 times

Post #4 by Boring Choice #2 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:00 pm

senate wrote:It's Karlsson's last home game as a Senator. Don't be too sad though. I'm sure Ottawa will have another once in a generation player in several decades, tops.

In the short life of your team, you have had Karlsson, Spezza, Hossa, and Chara, and to a lesser extent Alfredsson, Havlat, Heatley, and Fischer.

What more do you want?
senate
Registered Broad

Post #5 by senate » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:22 pm

For Ottawa to just once hold onto a star instead of losing him in a bad trade or free agency?

senate
Registered Broad

Post #6 by senate » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:03 pm

Karlsson grabbed the game puck. Good omen.

Ismellofhockey
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 32 times
Received rep: 15 times

Post #7 by Ismellofhockey » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:59 pm

Boring Choice #2 wrote:
senate wrote:It's Karlsson's last home game as a Senator. Don't be too sad though. I'm sure Ottawa will have another once in a generation player in several decades, tops.

In the short life of your team, you have had Karlsson, Spezza, Hossa, and Chara, and to a lesser extent Alfredsson, Havlat, Heatley, and Fischer.

What more do you want?

yu wot mate?

As fun as Spezza was, he never reached the level of Karlsson, Alfredsson, Hossa and Chara. I'd even put Alfredsson ahead of Karlsson because of the special way he had to energize a crowd. Karlsson has more talent by far, he'll leave your brain in chunks across the room, but he's not an everything guy. He won't be the guy who'll board Tucker and then score the game winner in the same shift. Or have the crowd chanting his name during a shift because they can feel something happening.
- Unwittingly ruining this board since December 2008
Boring Choice #2

Post #8 by Boring Choice #2 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:06 am

I put it based on talent. I don't think Alfredsson was as talented as the first group, regardless of what he meant to the organization. Still, in the number of years that the Sens have been in existence, you have had more than your fair share of highly talented individuals. You have nothing to complain about if you don't get another in a long time.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 242 times
Received rep: 131 times

Post #9 by mayoradamwest » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:29 pm

Boring Choice #2 wrote:I put it based on talent. I don't think Alfredsson was as talented as the first group, regardless of what he meant to the organization. Still, in the number of years that the Sens have been in existence, you have had more than your fair share of highly talented individuals. You have nothing to complain about if you don't get another in a long time.

Is this what devils fans told themselves when lamiorello left?
Boring Choice #2

Post #10 by Boring Choice #2 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:03 pm

:shrugs:

you learn to live with what you have.
Germz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 110 times
Received rep: 71 times

Post #11 by Germz » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:33 pm

Alfredsson was indeed a better player than Spezza. Not just because he did more for the organization. He did more on the ice.

In terms of sheer individual capacity for dominance, Karlsson and Chara are the two titans in Senators history. If Hossa belongs in their class than so does Alfredsson. Hossa and Alfredsson are pretty comparable. They were both two-way players with high-end (but not "generational") offensive talent and impressive longevity. They both squeaked onto the second all-star team once in their peak. Looking back now over their whole careers, they match up pretty even in terms of their accomplishments, with some differences allowed for their respective career trajectories.

Comparing them to Yashin and Heatley is tough though. Shorter peaks, more mediocre all-around play, but definitely higher individual skill. And the young Havlat was perhaps the most skilled Senator of all time until Karlsson came along. But he was brittle and defensively suspect.

Anyway, I take your point that we've enjoyed some good players over the years.
RTWAP
Has given rep: 27 times
Received rep: 32 times

Post #12 by RTWAP » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:55 pm

My best friend took me to this game. He said he wanted the Sens to lose 6-5. We had lots of fun. Might be my last game depending on if and how they trade Karlsson.

Return to “Canadian Tire Fire Centre”