Ottawa Senators Cap&Roster Discussion

King Clancy
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 12 times

Post #1 by King Clancy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:12 pm

So, do you open contract negotiations with Gonchar right now? If so, for how many more years? One? Two? Murray has to be thinking there might actually be too many D next year, with both Karlsson and Cowen returning and Wiercioch clearly having a place on the team.

I idly wonder if we could pry a guy like Simon Despres out of Pittsburgh for him. Clearly there's a history there, and I'd much rather get a developed prospect than a pick. Despres is getting spot duty and not playing in every game, Gonchar would be a clear upgrade for them.

For us, we'd get a guy that can grow along with the rest of the team, although it would be a clear hit for this year.
AD wrote:Go Sens! (and whatnot..)
ben.
Registered Broad
Received rep: 6 times

Post #2 by ben. » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:30 pm

King Clancy wrote:So, do you open contract negotiations with Gonchar right now? If so, for how many more years? One? Two? Murray has to be thinking there might actually be too many D next year, with both Karlsson and Cowen returning and Wiercioch clearly having a place on the team.

I idly wonder if we could pry a guy like Simon Despres out of Pittsburgh for him. Clearly there's a history there, and I'd much rather get a developed prospect than a pick. Despres is getting spot duty and not playing in every game, Gonchar would be a clear upgrade for them.

For us, we'd get a guy that can grow along with the rest of the team, although it would be a clear hit for this year.

The trick I think will be on the term limit. As a 1-year contract, Murray probably does it without a blink. Even if we do end up running with our young D, Gonchar insulates us against injury problems and is an invaluable leader and mentor to the kids on the backend. However, as Gonchar showed when he opted to come here instead of staying in Pittsburgh, he does value stability and will problably be pushing for a 2 year contract. Then it becomes much more complicated as we have a log-jam of bottom pairing D-men that are waiting to come up (Gryba, Boro, Ceci) and it remains to see how Gonchar will hold up in 2 years.

The following D core sure does look sexy however, perfect blend of size and offense on each pairing
Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Wiercioch
Phillips - Gonchar
RTWAP
Has given rep: 25 times
Received rep: 27 times

Post #3 by RTWAP » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:56 am

I say sign Gonchar for 2 more years. Maybe $5.5mil and $4.5mil.

Starting lineup out of training camp next season:
Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Gonchar
Phillips - Wiercioch
Gryba/Benoit/Boro/Ceci

And then as the season goes on you evaluate the two old guys and see if they get replaced. Gonchar can slide down to the 3rd pair if he degrades. He's still valuable there. Phillips slides down into a #7 or healthy scratch. If that happens next year then you either don't resign him (i.e. he retires and transitions to another role with the team) or you resign him cheap as a depth character guy.

At the start of the next season I think there's a pretty good chance you see something more like:

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Wiercioch
Ceci - Gonchar
(Phillips)/Gryba/Boro/Claessen
RIP Old Broads v2. Long live New Broads v3.
Germz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 98 times
Received rep: 66 times

Post #4 by Germz » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:25 am

Yeah, with Gryba's emergence it is harder to see a clear role for Phillips next year. Methot is our top shutdown D now and Cowen should be healthy.

That said something will inevitably go wrong, be it injuries, inconsistency, regression or some combination thereof, so I'm happy to have Phillips in the fold next year. I'm sure we will find a place for him. After that, though, retirement could be a very real possibility.

I would re-sign Gonchar for two years, yes. The emergence of Wiercioch and Gryba has me more confident in our D pieces going forward than earlier in the year when I wanted a younger upgrade. Obviously it's still Murray's job to keep his eye open for better options but I am satisfied for now. Like many of you I'd rather spend the dollar on a scoring winger at this point.
senate wrote:As goes the Canadian Senate, so go the Ottawa Senators.
sensens
Registered Broad

Post #5 by sensens » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:34 pm

Germz wrote:Yeah, with Gryba's emergence it is harder to see a clear role for Phillips next year. Methot is our top shutdown D now and Cowen should be healthy.
That said something will inevitably go wrong, be it injuries, inconsistency, regression or some combination thereof, so I'm happy to have Phillips in the fold next year. I'm sure we will find a place for him. After that, though, retirement could be a very real possibility.

Gryba playing well for 15 games doesn't negate the value of a 15-year veteran with over 1,000 games under his belt. Gryba has a ways to go before he's 'emerged' enough to knock off one of the team's assistant captains - and his 2-way contract next year could just as easily put him in a Lehner-like position of having to wait for his full-time NHL opportunity. Phillips still has a valuable role to play going into next year, but I'd agree that after next season and the expiry of his contract the retirement issue will certainly be up for discussion.

Germz wrote:I would re-sign Gonchar for two years, yes. The emergence of Wiercioch and Gryba has me more confident in our D pieces going forward than earlier in the year when I wanted a younger upgrade. Obviously it's still Murray's job to keep his eye open for better options but I am satisfied for now. Like many of you I'd rather spend the dollar on a scoring winger at this point.

If Gonchar is interested in resigning and would sign for something around $9.0M/2yrs, then I think keeping him would far outweight the concerns about his age and deterioration of play. He's currently sitting 5th in the league in defenceman assists, plays the same ice time as Zdeno Chara, and leads the team in PP points - which has kept the PP running at 20.0%, all without their top 3 PP scorers from a year ago. It's more than a bit ironic that the concern with Gonchar's original contract was the 3 year term - and yet the 3rd year is when he's proving to be the most value for the money. MacLean has obviously brought over that part of Detroit's mojo that gives veteran puck-moving defenceman a new lease on life.
discostu
Registered Broad
Received rep: 1 time

Post #6 by discostu » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:28 pm

Would Gryba need to clear waivers next year? His first contract was in 2010-11, and he would have been 22 when it took effect. This is his third season on a pro contract, which is the max for a player who signed at 22 I believe.

He'd be a tough guy to sneak through waivers at this point. There's enough teams looking for depth on D, especially who are cheap.

That said, he should be the guy pencilled in as number 7 when everyone is healthy. If he's outplaying vets at that time, then he gets in.

Given that he at the beginning of the season, he was #10 or so on the depth chart, being #7 shouldn't be too concerning. We've come a long way when you consider that Lundin was acquired due to the fear of not having the bodies in Bingo who could step up into that role.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 201 times
Received rep: 122 times

Post #7 by mayoradamwest » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:30 pm

I'm stroking my beard and clucking my tongue wondering what's to be done with this Ben bishop.
senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 251 times
Received rep: 215 times

Post #8 by senate » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:09 pm

mayoradamwest wrote:I'm stroking my beard and clucking my tongue wondering what's to be done with this Ben bishop.

Some sort of crazy sugar scheme?
Ricard_Persson
Has given rep: 42 times
Received rep: 56 times

Post #9 by Ricard_Persson » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:42 pm

I still don't rush a goalie trade.

I have no problem with a Anderson/Bishop combo next season.
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #10 by Germz » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:26 pm

sensens wrote:Gryba playing well for 15 games doesn't negate the value of a 15-year veteran with over 1,000 games under his belt. Gryba has a ways to go before he's 'emerged' enough to knock off one of the team's assistant captains - and his 2-way contract next year could just as easily put him in a Lehner-like position of having to wait for his full-time NHL opportunity. Phillips still has a valuable role to play going into next year, but I'd agree that after next season and the expiry of his contract the retirement issue will certainly be up for discussion.

While I'll admit that I walked into that caning, I did try to make it clear that I'm virtually certain that Phillips will have a spot on the roster next year.

What I meant was more in the sense that Phillips will not have a "clear role" as he has in past years. He is no longer our top shutdown D, and we have another defensive guy (Cowen) that we are penciling into a top-4 role. So the logical place for him, as with many declining vets, is the bottom pairing. But Gryba's emergence, while not earth-shattering in 15 games I agree, shows us that he is now as capable as Phillips at handling a regular NHL job playing the stay-at-home part on the 3rd pairing (although a full season may test that assumption), and also that he appears to match Phillips's capability to step into a 20 min/night role if needed. So the 'clear role' that I had envisioned for Phillips next year (3rd pairing stay-at-home) is now more muddled because we have a 25 year old guy who looks ready to do the same job.

Coming into this season, Cowen was injured, Methot was a question mark and Gryba was out of the picture. Next year will be different.

But I'm not worried about this for a number of reasons. Most importantly because roles are fluid and the distinction between a bottom-pairing guy and a top-4 guy is muddled by special teams, streaky play, and linemate chemistry, not to mention the need to fill gaps created by the injuries that we will inevitably have.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #11 by mayoradamwest » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:27 pm

Ricard_Persson wrote:I still don't rush a goalie trade.

I have no problem with a Anderson/Bishop combo next season.

Bishop is better than Lehner in shoot outs, but that's about it. Might be bad asset management, but is prefer they go with the best tandem which includes Lehner... Of course, if you guard for injuries then its nice to have bishop...
NyQuil
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1 time
Received rep: 9 times

Post #12 by NyQuil » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:28 pm

I'm thinking the level of Phillips' play could drop off even further at any moment.

It can be a pretty dramatic decline near the end.

He's gone from a #3-4 to a #5-6 in about a season, and could easily be a #7 before too long.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #13 by mayoradamwest » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:30 pm

Keep Phillips around, you never know when they'll need someone to shotgun a 40 of rye.
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #14 by Germz » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:33 pm

NyQuil wrote:I'm thinking the level of Phillips' play could drop off even further at any moment.

It can be a pretty dramatic decline near the end.

He's gone from a #3-4 to a #5-6 in about a season, and could easily be a #7 before too long.

I really don't think Phillips has been bad at all this season. He's had a handful of bad games and some atrocious giveaways from time to time, but that's been going on for years. This is the same guy who scored an own goal in the finals during his career season.

Mostly I've found him steady, even contributing offense from time to time.
NyQuil
Registered Broad

Post #15 by NyQuil » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:48 pm

Germz wrote:I really don't think Phillips has been bad at all this season. He's had a handful of bad games and some atrocious giveaways from time to time, but that's been going on for years. This is the same guy who scored an own goal in the finals during his career season.

Mostly I've found him steady, even contributing offense from time to time.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun on taking him out back and shooting him.
Ricard_Persson
Has given rep: 42 times
Received rep: 56 times

Post #16 by Ricard_Persson » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:10 pm

You're hungry to shoot.
NyQuil
Registered Broad

Post #17 by NyQuil » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:18 pm

Ricard_Persson wrote:You're hungry to shoot.

Where's Jody Hull when you need him...
King Clancy
Registered Broad

Post #18 by King Clancy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:44 pm

I have a soft spot for the ol' feller, I'll admit it... but to me he's been our most physical defenseman this past month. He's been running over guys in open ice.

Gryba's great at going in the corners and absorbing checks to move the puck out, but since his first 4-5 games he's really scaled back the big hits. Maybe the team told him to keep it simple.

Methot hasn't been as physical lately, but he's playing so many big minutes that I don't hold it against him. He's doing a perfect job as far as I'm concerned.
NyQuil
Registered Broad

Post #19 by NyQuil » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:54 pm

I actually checked out the hits earlier today.

Granted, real-time stats are fuzzy, but in any event:

1 Chris Neil OTT R 29 117
2 Marc Methot OTT D 29 79
3 Colin Greening OTT L 28 67
4 Chris Phillips OTT D 29 61
5 Zack Smith OTT C 29 57
6 Eric Gryba OTT D 15 48
7 Mika Zibanejad OTT C 23 44
8 Jim O'Brien OTT C 25 28
9 Mark Borowiecki OTT D 6 26
10 Dave Dziurzynski OTT L 10 24
11 Guillaume Laten. OTT L 10 23
12 Daniel Alfredss. OTT R 28 22
13 Jakob Silfverbe. OTT R 29 22
14 Andre Benoit OTT D 24 21
15 Kyle Turris OTT C 29 19
16 Kaspars Daugav. OTT L 18 16
17 Sergei Gonchar OTT D 26 14
18 Patrick Wiercio. OTT D 25 13
19 Erik Karlsson OTT D 14 10
20 Mark Stone OTT R 4 10
21 Erik Condra OTT R 29 9
22 Peter Regin OTT C 20 9
23 Stephane Da C. OTT C 9 8
24 Derek Grant OTT C 5 8
25 Matt Kassian OTT L 2 5
26 Milan Michalek OTT L 15 3
27 Mike Lundin OTT D 7 2
28 Jason Spezza OTT C 5 0

-Gryba is one of the more physical guys we have. In terms of hits/game, he's ahead of all d-men aside from Boro.

For league context, Methot is 7th in the NHL in hits among d-men.
King Clancy
Registered Broad

Post #20 by King Clancy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:22 pm

Yeah, Phillips is doing his usual thing, which is to pick up his game as the season moves along. He's always pretty bad to start the season.

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised to see Greening that high.

Good to see Zibanejad up there. His work ethic is never in question.
NyQuil
Registered Broad

Post #21 by NyQuil » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:33 pm

King Clancy wrote:Yeah, Phillips is doing his usual thing, which is to pick up his game as the season moves along. He's always pretty bad to start the season.

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised to see Greening that high.

Good to see Zibanejad up there. His work ethic is never in question.

I've been impressed with Greening lately because he's simplified his game and is just forechecking, crashing the net and using his big body in the cycle.

He's not as good when he's pretending to be a skilled forward.
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #22 by Germz » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 pm

Yeah Greening is one of those "watched pot never boils" players. If you look to him for offense he won't produce. If you write him off as a checker he will surprise you.

It's the simple speed and strength game that works for him, like NyQuil says. That's what made him stand out originally, and then the points came as a by-product of that, partly because the hard work earned him ice time with skill players.

When he gets away from it, not only do the points disappear but there's nothing of value left and he becomes a poor man's Shean Donovan.
NyQuil
Registered Broad

Post #23 by NyQuil » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:00 pm

I agree with what Germz said, when he said he agreed with what NyQuil said.
RTWAP

Post #24 by RTWAP » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:33 am

NyQuil wrote:I agree with what Germz said, when he said he agreed with what NyQuil said.

Germz was more right than you. As usual.
NyQuil
Registered Broad

Post #25 by NyQuil » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:32 am

RTWAP wrote:Germz was more right than you. As usual.

Damn you, I hate you when you're right.
zamboner
Registered Broad
Received rep: 4 times

Post #26 by zamboner » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:16 am

King Clancy wrote:Yeah, Phillips is doing his usual thing, which is to pick up his game as the season moves along. He's always pretty bad to start the season..

The Big Rig is just steadily cruising down the highway. Soon, he will pull into the truck stop that is the playoffs, turn his cap backwards and just start raping people in the toilets.

Business as usual.
NyQuil
Registered Broad

Post #27 by NyQuil » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:18 am

zamboner wrote:The Big Rig is just steadily cruising down the highway. Soon, he will pull into the truck stop that is the playoffs, turn his cap backwards and just start raping people in the toilets.

Business as usual.

He hides the bodies in those big ice coolers outside.
discostu
Registered Broad

Post #28 by discostu » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:08 pm

Can a mod fix this thread. I've clicked refresh, but the changes to the Sens lineup haven't been reflected.
Pabst Plays Westboro
Registered Broad

Post #29 by Pabst Plays Westboro » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:17 pm

So Jared Cowen is now a rfa apparently, no one on my twitter feed knows the details. Garrioch tried to break the news with this tweet

Add another RFA get signed to sens list defenceman Jared Cowen. #Sens

Brucie's Fat fucking thumbs strike again
discostu
Registered Broad

Post #30 by discostu » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:36 pm

Pabst Plays Westboro wrote:So Jared Cowen is now a rfa apparently, no one on my twitter feed knows the details. Garrioch tried to break the news with this tweet

Brucie's Fat fucking thumbs strike again

Due to retweeting, danishh showed up in my twitter feed with a link to an explanatory post at boredz.

This is weird, and I do not like it.
BlackRedGold
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 6 times

Post #31 by BlackRedGold » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:42 pm

discostu wrote:Due to retweeting, danishh showed up in my twitter feed with a link to an explanatory post at boredz.

This is weird, and I do not like it.

Tell whoever retweeted it to stop retweeting assholes.
i.m. fletcher
Registered Broad
Received rep: 3 times

Post #32 by i.m. fletcher » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:51 pm

BlackRedGold wrote:Tell whoever retweeted it to stop retweeting assholes.

It was garrioch, so it felt right.
RTWAP

Post #33 by RTWAP » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:04 am

Pabst Plays Westboro wrote:So Jared Cowen is now a rfa apparently, no one on my twitter feed knows the details. Garrioch tried to break the news with this tweet

I'm guessing the 10 playoff games in 2011 (Calder Cup run) was enough to count as a pro season.

I think this is a good thing. They have a chance to either sign him cheap for a couple of years, or sign him to a 4 or 5 year deal at less than he'd make after a breakout season.

How about 5 years at AAV of $3M? 2.0M/2.5M/3.0M/3.5M/4.0M
Skrymir
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 7 times
Received rep: 5 times

Post #34 by Skrymir » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:02 am

RTWAP wrote:I'm guessing the 10 playoff games in 2011 (Calder Cup run) was enough to count as a pro season.

I think this is a good thing. They have a chance to either sign him cheap for a couple of years, or sign him to a 4 or 5 year deal at less than he'd make after a breakout season.

How about 5 years at AAV of $3M? 2.0M/2.5M/3.0M/3.5M/4.0M

Best explanation I got... unfortunately it did come from the... [shudders] boredz...

mouser wrote:- Birthday Jan 25, 1991
- Drafted in 2009
- Signed by the Sens to a standard ELC contract in March of 2010. That contract was effective to start the 2009-2010 season.
- Cowen was considered Age 19 by CBA definitions when he signed his contract. Players age 19 can only have their contracts slide one time. Players signed at age 18 can have their contracts slide twice.
- Cowen's contract slid in 2009-2010.
- He was not eligible to have it slide again in 2010-2011 even though he didn't play any NHL games.
- Hence the 3 years of his ELC were 2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2012-2013 making him an RFA now.

The 10 games in the post season had nothing to do with it.

I agree it could be a good thing... he really only has one year of NHL under his belt and is coming off a significant injury, he doesn't really have much leverage in a contract negotiation
Skrymir
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 7 times

Post #35 by Skrymir » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:10 am

Ok so I checked the "official" list of free agents on NHL.com and this is what it says for Ottawa:

"OTTAWA SENATORS

Group 2 FAs: Mark Borowiecki, Erik Condra, Jared Cowen, Corey Cowick, Stephane Da Costa, Dave Dziurzynski, Mike Hoffman, Patrick Wiercioch.

Group 3 UFAs: Daniel Alfredsson, Hugh Jessiman, Geoff Kinrade, Guillaume Latendresse, Mike Lundin, Roman Wick.

Group 6 UFAs: None.

UFAs: Louie Caporusso."

So Cowen is an RFA, it correctly has Regin and Benoit not on the list having been signed elsewhere, but it still lists Alfie as being available?

WTF!!!?!?!
RTWAP

Post #36 by RTWAP » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:36 am

Skrymir wrote:Ok so I checked the "official" list of free agents on NHL.com and this is what it says for Ottawa:

"OTTAWA SENATORS

Group 2 FAs: Mark Borowiecki, Erik Condra, Jared Cowen, Corey Cowick, Stephane Da Costa, Dave Dziurzynski, Mike Hoffman, Patrick Wiercioch.

Group 3 UFAs: Daniel Alfredsson, Hugh Jessiman, Geoff Kinrade, Guillaume Latendresse, Mike Lundin, Roman Wick.

Group 6 UFAs: None.

UFAs: Louie Caporusso."

So Cowen is an RFA, it correctly has Regin and Benoit not on the list having been signed elsewhere, but it still lists Alfie as being available?

WTF!!!?!?!

It's all part of Alfie's evil plan to pretend to leave, forcing the team to spend his money on other players, and then he'll have a change of heart and come back. The evil part is it forces Uncle Eugene to raise the budget or face a huge fan backlash.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #37 by senate » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:41 am

I can't believe we still had the rights to Roman Wick.
Redden Punches Faces
Registered Broad
Received rep: 2 times

Post #38 by Redden Punches Faces » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:35 pm

honestly, who gives a flying fuck?
senate
Registered Broad

Post #39 by senate » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:42 pm

Redden Punches Faces wrote:honestly, who gives a flying fuck?

Roman Wick's parents?
Redden Punches Faces
Registered Broad
Received rep: 2 times

Post #40 by Redden Punches Faces » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:46 pm

take me into your soul
senate
Registered Broad

Post #41 by senate » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:54 pm

Redden Punches Faces wrote:take me into your soul

If you wanted to experience that then you should have come to my show at Jazzfest.
sensens
Registered Broad

Post #42 by sensens » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:12 pm

I'd love to see them try to lock up Cowen on a longer-term deal, like the 5-year option suggested above... even if they feel it might be a minor overpayment now, I'm pretty sure it won't seem like that in 2-3 years if the cap rises anything like what the projections suggest. If he would do the $3.0M cap hit option of $2.0M/$2.5M/$3.0M/$3.5M/$4.0M, that would be pretty ideal. I suspect that Cowen's agent knows it's not the right time to make such a deal, though.

As for Wiercioch, I suspect a short-term deal is more likely, especially just coming off his rookie contract. Maybe something in the range of 2yr deal at $1.2M/$1.8M?
RTWAP

Post #43 by RTWAP » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:46 pm

sensens wrote:I'd love to see them try to lock up Cowen on a longer-term deal, like the 5-year option suggested above... even if they feel it might be a minor overpayment now, I'm pretty sure it won't seem like that in 2-3 years if the cap rises anything like what the projections suggest. If he would do the $3.0M cap hit option of $2.0M/$2.5M/$3.0M/$3.5M/$4.0M, that would be pretty ideal. I suspect that Cowen's agent knows it's not the right time to make such a deal, though.

As for Wiercioch, I suspect a short-term deal is more likely, especially just coming off his rookie contract. Maybe something in the range of 2yr deal at $1.2M/$1.8M?

Interesting to note that a 5-year deal for Cowen doesn't include any UFA years.

Also, as a comparable (or inspiration?) Travis Hamonic signed for 7 years at $3.857M/yr. The differences being Hamonic is not as highly touted. He's more established (182 gms vs. 90 gms). And his deal covers three years of UFA.

Heck, if the Sens think Cowen's a stud then they could add 3 more years on ($4.5M/$5.0M/$5.5M) and make it an eight year $30M contract instead of a five year $15M.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #44 by mayoradamwest » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:49 pm

I wonder if Cowen could be tempted by guaranteed money given his wretched yet not recurring injury history.
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #45 by Germz » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:52 pm

I'm not ready to lock up Cowen just yet. But for the love of God don't give him a two-year deal, that's all I ask. Three or four sounds good to me.
Hossa
Registered Broad

Post #46 by Hossa » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:50 pm

Germz wrote:I'm not ready to lock up Cowen just yet. But for the love of God don't give him a two-year deal, that's all I ask. Three or four sounds good to me.

Agreed. I wasn't overly impressed with his play in the playoffs, and am not convinced he can anchor the second pairing yet. I'd be happy giving him a one-year deal and re-assessing next summer. If it's multi-year, something like the 4 year, 3.5M deal Schrenn got from the Leafs would work, although hopefully Cowen doesn't stagnate the way Schrenn did.
RTWAP

Post #47 by RTWAP » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:55 pm

mayoradamwest wrote:I wonder if Cowen could be tempted by guaranteed money given his wretched yet not recurring injury history.

Yah. It's a factor that might make him favourable to a long-term deal. Even if the Sens project him to be a top-pair D-man they may not want to give him a medium-long deal. They seem to have an organizational philosophy that guys get paid once they demonstrate their abilities. Maybe Cowen hasn't shown enough yet.
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #48 by Germz » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:55 pm

Hossa wrote:Agreed. I wasn't overly impressed with his play in the playoffs, and am not convinced he can anchor the second pairing yet. I'd be happy giving him a one-year deal and re-assessing next summer. If it's multi-year, something like the 4 year, 3.5M deal Schrenn got from the Leafs would work, although hopefully Cowen doesn't stagnate the way Schrenn did.

The mean streak he brought against Montreal was great, but apart from that he was inconsistent in that series and he looked overwhelmed against the Pens. Not surprising for a young defenseman who missed almost the entire year with injury, but not exactly a performance crying out for an 8-year contract either.
Hossa
Registered Broad

Post #49 by Hossa » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:59 pm

Germz wrote:The mean streak he brought against Montreal was great, but apart from that he was inconsistent in that series and he looked overwhelmed against the Pens. Not surprising for a young defenseman who missed almost the entire year with injury, but not exactly a performance crying out for an 8-year contract either.

I liked the aggressiveness, but Gryba brought that as well. There was nowhere near enough to separate those two, considering one is viewed as a cornerstone and the other a 25-year old role player. It all comes down to skating with him I think. When Cowen is skating well - and he wasn't last year, nor immediately after that ACL surgery - he has confidence with the puck and can make strong breakouts. When his skating is off, he starts losing the puck in his feet and gets awkward as hell out there. I want to see him sort that out before signing him up long-term.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #50 by senate » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:10 pm

Cowen reminds me of Meszaros, potential-wise. I don't know if that is good or bad. Hence I have mixed feelings on Cowen.

Return to “Ottawa Senators Forum”