emo wrote:Hartnell is the guy who said, "Suck it, Phaneuf!"

Suck what? I don't get it.
King Clancy
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 12 times

Re: Ottawa Senators Cap&Roster Discussion

Post #602 by King Clancy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:55 am

I don't even care that Kelly is done, he's a sentimental favourite and I'm glad he's back.
RTWAP
Has given rep: 25 times
Received rep: 27 times

Post #603 by RTWAP » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:03 am

Me too. And maybe he's only almost done. Where's Miracle Max when you need him?
King Clancy
Registered Broad

Post #604 by King Clancy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:34 pm

emo
Registered Broad

Post #605 by emo » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:29 am

I'm thinking about who Ottawa will protect in the expansion draft. I suspect they would like to protect Karlsson, Ceci and Methot on D, but with Phaneuf requiring protection, that would leave Methot a prime Vegas candidate. I would very much like to see Phaneuf and his cement shoes in Vegas instead. His wife is on a TV show that's filmed in L.A. Think he would waive his no-movement to go to Vegas? I realize Vegas actually wanting him is a whole different issue.
Skrymir
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 7 times
Received rep: 5 times

Post #606 by Skrymir » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:17 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/viva-las-vegas-tsn-ho ... p-1.614039

It'd be ok if all they lost was Dzingel, but I think Button's methodology is off. I don't think they will be aiming for the lower limit of the cap.
emo
Registered Broad

Post #607 by emo » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:22 pm

What if Dzingel keeps up his pace all season? Would you keep him over Lazar?
Ricard_Persson
Has given rep: 46 times
Received rep: 60 times

Post #608 by Ricard_Persson » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:51 pm

Lazar's stock has fallen, and will probably fall more. I really don't see him scoring 10 goals a year, ever.

He's a third liner that somehow got pumped up to a leader or something in junior? I see he did score 41 in his last junior year. Impressive, but it seems his foot speed is the same gear now as it was then. He doesn't seem fast or strong. It will be interesting to see if he plays much better now that he's been called up. Personally I would have left him down there longer to really scare him. Being overlooked at call-up would even big a larger statement than being sent down in the first place.

Really not sure on him. I think his name holds weight and I wouldn't be afraid to actually trade him, because maybe there's a GM out there who hasn't seen much of Lazar and has the TSN world junior highlight pack still blurring their minds.

Dzzingle has so much speed. You can't practice that or learn speed. Lazar will never have it and the game is getting faster each year. The Senators are a fairly slow team overall, I would say near the bottom of the league. Hard to lose anymore speed.
senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 251 times
Received rep: 215 times

Post #609 by senate » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:14 pm

Lazar had so much hype around him because he played his junior in Edmonton and he won gold at the World Juniors. Plus he came from the WHL, where the hockey media considers every draftee to be "a strong character guy with lots of grit".

He was called fast and strong when the Senators drafted him. I guess he either stagnated or regressed since he made the Senators.

As for his projected second line offensive talent, that just seems like a joke now.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #610 by senate » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:55 pm

According to Sportsnet, the only player that the Senators have to protect in the expansion draft is Phanuef. Bobby Ryan's reported "no move clause" is really only a limited no-trade clause and no demotion to the minors.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/official-nhl-expansion-draft-exempt-list-contains-surprises/
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 211 times
Received rep: 117 times

Post #611 by The Bytown Boozer » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:18 pm

senate wrote:According to Sportsnet, the only player that the Senators have to protect in the expansion draft is Phanuef. Bobby Ryan's reported "no move clause" is really only a limited no-trade clause and no demotion to the minors.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/official-nhl-expansion-draft-exempt-list-contains-surprises/

Would it really be that bad if we let Vegas have Ceci? He has not impressed me at all this year and at the age of 23, this is when we should start seeing a real improvement from this guy.

Bobby Ryan has 6 points in 17 games and has been utterly invisible outside of these sporadic offensive outbursts. Ditching Ryan's salary wouldn't be the worse thing, but this shouldn't turn into another Spezza scenario where the Sens are giving up on some top 6 talent and getting nothing in return. Cap space is nice, but it is completely useless if that money isn't invested properly.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #612 by senate » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:25 pm

The Bytown Boozer wrote:Would it really be that bad if we let Vegas have Ceci? He has not impressed me at all this year and at the age of 23, this is when we should start seeing a real improvement from this guy.

Bobby Ryan has 6 points in 17 games and has been utterly invisible outside of these sporadic offensive outbursts. Ditching Ryan's salary wouldn't be the worse thing, but this shouldn't turn into another Spezza scenario where the Sens are giving up on some top 6 talent and getting nothing in return. Cap space is nice, but it is completely useless if that money isn't invested properly.

The market price for young defencemen is very high. If the Senators are going to give up on Ceci then they are better off doing it in a trade than the expansion draft.

The Senators problem isn't cap space, it's Melnyk's budget. The franchise doesn't have the luxury of paying second line players marquee salaries. If Ryan puts up another mediocre season I don't see how Dorion can make the financial case for not using an opporunity to get rid of him. It sucks, but that's life for Ottawa.
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #613 by The Bytown Boozer » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:53 pm

senate wrote:
The Bytown Boozer wrote:Would it really be that bad if we let Vegas have Ceci? He has not impressed me at all this year and at the age of 23, this is when we should start seeing a real improvement from this guy.

The market price for young defencemen is very high. If the Senators are going to give up on Ceci then they are better off doing it in a trade than the expansion draft.

The Senators problem isn't cap space, it's Melnyk's budget. The franchise doesn't have the luxury of paying second line players marquee salaries. If Ryan puts up another mediocre season I don't see how Dorion can make the financial case for not using an opporunity to get rid of him. It sucks, but that's life for Ottawa.

I agree with this and have been thinking that the Sens should be cutting ties with Bobby Ryan for quite some time. That being said, while the market for young defencemen may be good, what about the market for young mediocre defencemen? Another important thing to remember is that if the Sens protect Cody Ceci, the Golden Knights may very well not pick Bobby Ryan and take Marc Methot in his place. This would be a much bigger hole to fill for the Sens going forward, IMO.

I'm just throwing ideas out there in any case. Getting rid of Bobby Ryan's contract would be nice, but we're not exactly sure if Vegas GM George McPhee would be into it.
King Clancy
Registered Broad

Post #614 by King Clancy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:09 pm

I can't see Vegas taking him.
RTWAP

Post #615 by RTWAP » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:59 pm

King Clancy wrote:I can't see Vegas taking him.

I can.

He's well-spoken, and they want to get to the cap floor without looking like complete crap (i.e. trading for LTIR guys, etc.). Bobby would make a fine captain for a couple of years. He's a good guy. He's a family guy, which is important for a leader on a team in that market with those distractions.

I'm hoping Dion waives so they can leave him unprotected and protect Ceci, Karlsson and Methot. That leaves 7 forwards, so they can protect Hoffman, Stone, Turris, Brassard, Dzingel, Pageau, Lazar. Smith doesn't need to be protected because he's a UFA. They can wait until July 1 and resign him then. Same goes to a lesser extent for Neil, Kelly and Pyatt.

That puts their possible loss as one of Ryan, Phaneuf, Wideman, MacArthur. I hope it's not Phaneuf. I like what he brings to the team. MacArthur's a bit uncertain right now. If he comes back in January and plays 4 good productive months then I think you expose Lazar instead of him. If he doesn't come back and play well then they're not going to grab him.

Interestingly, they might re-sign Kelly, Neil or Pyatt to get enough qualifying unprotected players. You have to have two that aren't pending UFAs and have played 40 games this year or 70 over the last two.
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #616 by The Bytown Boozer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:05 pm

We'll see how he is upon his return from this latest injury. As of right now, I'd probably expose both Ryan & Ceci, but I'm completely willing to change my mind if their play warrants it.
RTWAP

Post #617 by RTWAP » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:44 am

Obligatory Matt Duchene trade proposal.

Matt Duchene and a 2nd this year for:
Ottawa's 1st this year
A player to be named later (Cody Ceci, after the season ends)
Andreas Englund or Freddy Claesson
Curtis Lazar
MP
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 144 times
Received rep: 263 times

Post #618 by MP » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:00 am

I'd rather get Shattenkirk than a Douchene. Or some other Last side D man.

Edit: nevermind Shat is RD and we need LD.
MP
Registered Broad

Post #619 by MP » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:00 am

Borowiecki resigned for 2 years...
Ricard_Persson

Post #620 by Ricard_Persson » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:47 am

I thought Pierre was just joking or being nice when he mumbled Boro's name after saying how important it was to re-sign Anderson and Turris in a TSN interview....I guess not, however I'm sure he would have taken any offer given.

Surely Boro gets bumped out if most of the young D pan out. It was nice not having him in the playoffs.
Ricard_Persson

Post #621 by Ricard_Persson » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:51 am

1.2m both years. I guess the floor contracts are up more than I've paid attention to, but geez that seems like a lot for your bottom guy #6 or 7.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #622 by senate » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:55 am

I don't understand why Dorion didn't wait until late June to do this. Was the Senators organization worried that Boro wouldn't be able to focus with the year long media speculation over where he would sign as a UFA.
Ricard_Persson

Post #623 by Ricard_Persson » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:03 pm

He's making more than Jagr.

One can only hope that his body breaks down with the rugged play and he's sent out back to the gravel pit fairly soon.
Ismellofhockey
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 26 times

Post #624 by Ismellofhockey » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:06 pm

Considering this organization's reluctance to old-yeller Chris Phillips, I sincerely hope Boro's body doesn't break down because Boucher would be dressing the maimed corpse of a player that already had a zombie's mobility when he was at the top of his game.
- Unwittingly ruining this board since December 2008
MP
Registered Broad

Post #625 by MP » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:09 pm

Maybe we signed him to make him more attractive to trade...
TGR
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 14 times
Received rep: 22 times

Post #626 by TGR » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:56 pm

MP wrote:Maybe we signed him to make him more attractive to trade...

Look at him. There's no way he's becoming any more attractive.

Return to “Ottawa Senators Forum”