The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

User avatar
Lord Buckethead
Registered Broad
Posts: 61650
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:55 pm
Has given rep: 30 times
Received rep: 274 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19251 by Lord Buckethead » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:54 am

Fuck the Jays, I hate Shatkins so much.

Also, I'm mad at Roy for flying the way he was flying. There's damning video out there of him hot dogging it in that shitty fucking plane. Why Roy, why did you do that????

In other news, all we have for Otani is 50,000 dollars available to spend. I assume we're out.
User avatar
Vector
Registered Broad
Posts: 11279
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:51 pm
Location: West Coast-ish
Has given rep: 38 times
Received rep: 23 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19252 by Vector » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:59 pm

Where is that from?
User avatar
Vector
Registered Broad
Posts: 11279
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:51 pm
Location: West Coast-ish
Has given rep: 38 times
Received rep: 23 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19253 by Vector » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:00 pm

The initial dollar value won't matter for Otani. It's opportunity, team history, location, ability to extend him quickly, and endorsement opportunities.
User avatar
Lord Buckethead
Registered Broad
Posts: 61650
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:55 pm
Has given rep: 30 times
Received rep: 274 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19254 by Lord Buckethead » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:31 pm

Vector wrote:Where is that from?


Other clubs have even less available: Detroit ($159,500), the Los Angeles Angels ($150,000), the New York Mets ($105,000), Toronto ($50,000), and Cleveland and Colorado ($10,000 apiece).

http://www.s portsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/rangers-yankees-twins-can-pay-otani/

Although, another article sportsnet published today said that they have about 1M left. Anyway, I don't think the Jays have much to offer him. I think NY or SEA will be the two finalists for him.
User avatar
Vector
Registered Broad
Posts: 11279
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:51 pm
Location: West Coast-ish
Has given rep: 38 times
Received rep: 23 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19255 by Vector » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:07 am

I meant the report about the Jays and Halladay.

My guess is it's going to be one of the mega teams or Seattle. Boston could even be involved considering their need for pitching and home runs. Would love for the Jays to find a way to convince the kid to come over, though.
User avatar
Lord Buckethead
Registered Broad
Posts: 61650
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:55 pm
Has given rep: 30 times
Received rep: 274 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19256 by Lord Buckethead » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:15 am

Vector wrote:I meant the report about the Jays and Halladay.

My guess is it's going to be one of the mega teams or Seattle. Boston could even be involved considering their need for pitching and home runs. Would love for the Jays to find a way to convince the kid to come over, though.


Oh, Jays and Halladay is from Davidi.
User avatar
Lord Buckethead
Registered Broad
Posts: 61650
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:55 pm
Has given rep: 30 times
Received rep: 274 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19257 by Lord Buckethead » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:45 pm

Antho is the Braves GM.
User avatar
stoney
Registered Broad
Posts: 5413
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 1:39 pm
Has given rep: 116 times
Received rep: 45 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19258 by stoney » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:05 am

Lord Buckethead wrote:Antho is the Braves GM.


Hopefully he has learned how to draft position players.
User avatar
Transplanted Caper
Posts: 16015
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:04 pm
Has given rep: 52 times
Received rep: 147 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19259 by Transplanted Caper » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:09 am

Best of luck to him. AA stepped on a few rakes, here, but 2015 and 2016 (even though he was gone for the latter) were incredible runs thanks to him.
User avatar
stoney
Registered Broad
Posts: 5413
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 1:39 pm
Has given rep: 116 times
Received rep: 45 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19260 by stoney » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:33 pm

Transplanted Caper wrote:Best of luck to him. AA stepped on a few rakes, here, but 2015 and 2016 (even though he was gone for the latter) were incredible runs thanks to him.


I would still like to know what the source of motivation was for the sheer volume of prospects going out. AA sure made it sound like he wanted his team fueled by the minors.

Was he protecting his job? Was Rogers asking for wins now?
User avatar
Vector
Registered Broad
Posts: 11279
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:51 pm
Location: West Coast-ish
Has given rep: 38 times
Received rep: 23 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19261 by Vector » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:24 pm

stoney wrote:
Transplanted Caper wrote:Best of luck to him. AA stepped on a few rakes, here, but 2015 and 2016 (even though he was gone for the latter) were incredible runs thanks to him.


I would still like to know what the source of motivation was for the sheer volume of prospects going out. AA sure made it sound like he wanted his team fueled by the minors.

Was he protecting his job? Was Rogers asking for wins now?


I think AA talked big about having prospects but really saw them as currency (as any good GM should). Part of it was having a rare core of older late developing stars (Bautista and Edwin). You could be on the treadmill of mediocrity or try to build around them. The first real attempt backfired (Marlins and Dickey trade) but figured it out by adding an actual stars in Martin and JD.

Beane and Dombrowski described AA as persistent and extremely enthusiastic when trading. Apparently he hounded them for a long time on JD and Price. He had a good scouting department and development system and trusted that whoever he lost in a trade would be replenished int he next draft. Considering most prospects bust, AA made the logical choice of going with what he had.

The Dickey trade was bad then and bad now, though.
User avatar
paulster
Registered Broad
Posts: 1563
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:44 am
Has given rep: 391 times
Received rep: 163 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19262 by paulster » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:38 pm

He’s also the last GM that seemed to have charisma and the ability to convince players to come to Toronto.
Pretty sure all the players were said to love the guy. Haven’t heard anyone say that about Shatkins, surprise surprise.
User avatar
stoney
Registered Broad
Posts: 5413
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 1:39 pm
Has given rep: 116 times
Received rep: 45 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19263 by stoney » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:32 pm

Vector wrote:
stoney wrote:
Transplanted Caper wrote:Best of luck to him. AA stepped on a few rakes, here, but 2015 and 2016 (even though he was gone for the latter) were incredible runs thanks to him.


I would still like to know what the source of motivation was for the sheer volume of prospects going out. AA sure made it sound like he wanted his team fueled by the minors.

Was he protecting his job? Was Rogers asking for wins now?


I think AA talked big about having prospects but really saw them as currency (as any good GM should). Part of it was having a rare core of older late developing stars (Bautista and Edwin). You could be on the treadmill of mediocrity or try to build around them. The first real attempt backfired (Marlins and Dickey trade) but figured it out by adding an actual stars in Martin and JD.

Beane and Dombrowski described AA as persistent and extremely enthusiastic when trading. Apparently he hounded them for a long time on JD and Price. He had a good scouting department and development system and trusted that whoever he lost in a trade would be replenished int he next draft. Considering most prospects bust, AA made the logical choice of going with what he had.

The Dickey trade was bad then and bad now, though.


The Marlins trade was bad. The Tulo trade will be bad.

At least Dickey came relatively as advertised. High price to pay, but he did throw a tonne of innings.
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 7038
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 74 times
Received rep: 135 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19264 by AGENT ZERO » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:40 pm

I will never hate on the Tulowitzki trade because it legitimately made us the best team in baseball for one year, and a contender for two. We gave up a pretty terrible contract in return too, so it's not like we got crushed on surplus value either. It's just too bad that Tulo declined as rapidly and as quickly as he did.
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 7038
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 74 times
Received rep: 135 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19265 by AGENT ZERO » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:44 pm

The R.A. Dickey trade was fucking awful though, and not in hindsight either.
User avatar
Craig
Registered Broad
Posts: 37909
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Toronto
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 144 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19266 by Craig » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:08 pm

The Marlins trade, at the time, was fine. At the time, Reyes was an all-star shortstop, Josh Johnson was a borderline ace and Buehrle was a solid mid-rotation innings eater. Only Buehrle worked out, but that's hindsight.

The Dickey one was awful. I thought they gave up too much.
User avatar
Lord Buckethead
Registered Broad
Posts: 61650
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:55 pm
Has given rep: 30 times
Received rep: 274 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19267 by Lord Buckethead » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:11 pm



Please God.
User avatar
paulster
Registered Broad
Posts: 1563
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:44 am
Has given rep: 391 times
Received rep: 163 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19268 by paulster » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:46 pm

Posturing to the fans while they don’t actually even plan on doing what’s necessary to land him.
User avatar
MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad
Posts: 7890
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:34 pm
Has given rep: 92 times
Received rep: 142 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19269 by MonkeyWrench » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:46 pm

Should sign kawasaki to a minor league deal as a rep.
User avatar
Lord Buckethead
Registered Broad
Posts: 61650
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:55 pm
Has given rep: 30 times
Received rep: 274 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19270 by Lord Buckethead » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:24 pm

paulster wrote:Posturing to the fans while they don’t actually even plan on doing what’s necessary to land him.


This is more likely. Their response to the passing of Doc was such a slap in the face.
User avatar
vf
Registered Broad
Posts: 16285
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:31 pm
Has given rep: 236 times
Received rep: 164 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19271 by vf » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:49 am

MonkeyWrench wrote:Should sign kawasaki to a minor league deal as a rep.


Expected this to come from Vector lol
User avatar
vf
Registered Broad
Posts: 16285
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:31 pm
Has given rep: 236 times
Received rep: 164 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19272 by vf » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:43 pm

paulster wrote:Posturing to the fans while they don’t actually even plan on doing what’s necessary to land him.


I'll have to call horseshit on this. He'll never be cheaper then he will be during this posting unless he totally flames out.
User avatar
paulster
Registered Broad
Posts: 1563
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:44 am
Has given rep: 391 times
Received rep: 163 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19273 by paulster » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:02 pm

vf wrote:
paulster wrote:Posturing to the fans while they don’t actually even plan on doing what’s necessary to land him.


I'll have to call horseshit on this. He'll never be cheaper then he will be during this posting unless he totally flames out.


Okay. If he signs here I’ll buy you a jersey.
User avatar
Lord Buckethead
Registered Broad
Posts: 61650
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:55 pm
Has given rep: 30 times
Received rep: 274 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19274 by Lord Buckethead » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:18 pm

paulster wrote:
vf wrote:
paulster wrote:Posturing to the fans while they don’t actually even plan on doing what’s necessary to land him.


I'll have to call horseshit on this. He'll never be cheaper then he will be during this posting unless he totally flames out.


Okay. If he signs here I’ll buy you a jersey.


An Otani jersey, or like, a Tomo Ohka jersey?
User avatar
Vector
Registered Broad
Posts: 11279
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:51 pm
Location: West Coast-ish
Has given rep: 38 times
Received rep: 23 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19275 by Vector » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:03 pm

vf wrote:
MonkeyWrench wrote:Should sign kawasaki to a minor league deal as a rep.


Expected this to come from Vector lol


Kawasaki should be brought in as his translator. I will cry with happiness.
User avatar
paulster
Registered Broad
Posts: 1563
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:44 am
Has given rep: 391 times
Received rep: 163 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19276 by paulster » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:16 am

Lord Buckethead wrote:
paulster wrote:
vf wrote:
I'll have to call horseshit on this. He'll never be cheaper then he will be during this posting unless he totally flames out.


Okay. If he signs here I’ll buy you a jersey.


An Otani jersey, or like, a Tomo Ohka jersey?


A paulster jersey. #69
User avatar
vf
Registered Broad
Posts: 16285
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:31 pm
Has given rep: 236 times
Received rep: 164 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19277 by vf » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:13 am

paulster wrote:
vf wrote:
paulster wrote:Posturing to the fans while they don’t actually even plan on doing what’s necessary to land him.


I'll have to call horseshit on this. He'll never be cheaper then he will be during this posting unless he totally flames out.


Okay. If he signs here I’ll buy you a jersey.


If you insist. This isn't a normal posting or IFA signing. He's not eligible to get a Tanaka or Darvish deal. Jays signed Gourriel to a 22M contract last year, Otani won't be a lot more expensive, he's giving up a lot of money to move to the MLB now. A lot of money. This isn't a money deal for him and the Jays can offer a lot everywhere else.
User avatar
vf
Registered Broad
Posts: 16285
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:31 pm
Has given rep: 236 times
Received rep: 164 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19278 by vf » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:13 am

Vector wrote:
vf wrote:
MonkeyWrench wrote:Should sign kawasaki to a minor league deal as a rep.


Expected this to come from Vector lol


Kawasaki should be brought in as his translator. I will cry with happiness.


As long as he's not on the 40-man. :danson:
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 7038
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 74 times
Received rep: 135 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19279 by AGENT ZERO » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:05 pm

Are people forgetting that Shatkins built close to 70% of the Indians roster that finished 2nd in MLB this season?
User avatar
Lord Buckethead
Registered Broad
Posts: 61650
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:55 pm
Has given rep: 30 times
Received rep: 274 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19280 by Lord Buckethead » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:18 pm

And bowed out in the first round. Fuck them hard.

Anyway, Jays have been in contact with Lorenzo Lamas Cain.
User avatar
Transplanted Caper
Posts: 16015
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:04 pm
Has given rep: 52 times
Received rep: 147 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19281 by Transplanted Caper » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:54 pm

2010 Toronto first rounder Deck McGuire (don't look up who was drafted after him) signs a Minor-league deal with the Jays. Doubt it amounts to much, but what the hell. Bullpen arms are fickle, may as well throw anything at the wall and see what sticks come April.
User avatar
vf
Registered Broad
Posts: 16285
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:31 pm
Has given rep: 236 times
Received rep: 164 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19282 by vf » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:34 pm

He's good high minors depth.
User avatar
stoney
Registered Broad
Posts: 5413
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 1:39 pm
Has given rep: 116 times
Received rep: 45 times

Re: The John Farrell Unemployment/Blue Jays Thread

Post #19283 by stoney » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:50 pm

Transplanted Caper wrote:2010 Toronto first rounder Deck McGuire (don't look up who was drafted after him) signs a Minor-league deal with the Jays. Doubt it amounts to much, but what the hell. Bullpen arms are fickle, may as well throw anything at the wall and see what sticks come April.


He threw a hard sinking fastball. Could figure out something

Return to “The Auston Matthews show”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: WTF and 4 guests