2019 Off Season Thread

Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 781 times
Received rep: 602 times

Re: 2019 Off Season Thread

Post #201 by Curry Rage » Wed May 08, 2019 3:56 am

Whit Dickman wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:Oz is going home. Two big Russians in, one big Russian out.

I thought we was decent. Not good enough to stick, however, and not likely to get much better.

I had hope he’d pan out a bit better, but the jump from the KHL to the NHL is a big one. If he were younger or didn’t have a big pay cheque waiting for him at home, I think you’d see him here another year if only because of our depth issues at RD.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #202 by Curry Rage » Wed May 08, 2019 5:05 pm

Interesting that Boston wasn’t consistently on the right side of the ledger until Game 7 against us.

*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #203 by Curry Rage » Thu May 09, 2019 6:15 pm

*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #204 by Curry Rage » Thu May 09, 2019 6:20 pm

*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Honus Joglund
Registered Broad
Received rep: 684 times

Post #205 by Honus Joglund » Fri May 10, 2019 12:06 am

Curry Rage wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3pwSYR68ycI

Now that's a real big man. Image
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #206 by Curry Rage » Tue May 14, 2019 12:05 pm

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/l ... 0437844586

Good podcast with Rachel Doerrie, who has done some video work for the Leafs at their Development Camp. Try as they might to get a “Keefe >>> Babs AINEC” angle, Doerrie points out several things that go against the grain of the common narrative promulgated here and on various Leaf related sites.

First, Babs and Keefe are chums. So the idea that Babs’ huge ego wouldn’t allow him to work with Keefe as an assistant is probably bullshit. And why wouldn’t they be chums, I ask? Keefe gets to learn from one of the best coaches in the game while Babs gets to pick the brain of an up and coming coach and make his game better. Keefe gets to run Babs’ systems in the AHL and tweak and toy about without the pressure of doing it in the show. Babs might get to add a guy to his staff who can help him get this team to another level which, last I looked, is good for him. I’m amazed at the zero sum perspective that people have on the relationships in the organisation, including Babs v Dubas, Keefe v Babs, etc. It reads more like an attempt to make heat for discussion than an objective view of the way the guys act and speak about themselves.

Second, while she first says that the two teams don’t run the same system, she goes back on herself and says that they do, but that the decision-making of individual players within the system is different. The differences come down to personnel. Again, that’s down to management and development. It’s one thing for Keefe to be able to tell a guy with Sandin’s or Lilly’s skill to hold the puck and make a play in his own zone against an AHL forechecker and, if he gives it away, tell him he better learn not to. It’s another for Babs to be presented with options like Polak, Hainsey, Zaitsev, Marancin, etc. and ask them to do that against NHL opposition when even an NHL fourth liner will bury a chance created from a bad giveaway (see Game 7 vs the Bruins). Keefe has had the luxury of having high end AHL/NHL-bound skill on his D for a couple of seasons now. Rosen, Dermott, Borgman, Sandin, Lily, Holl, etc.

Until such time as we have the NHL-ready depth to play that possession game at the back (and we saw some of it in e.g. Game 5 against BOS) the coaching staff have to do things another way. So when Babs talks about depth and finding players (and the mob say he’s blaming the players or hanging Dubas out to dry blah blah) that’s what he’s talking about. This team will look - as I’ve said all season - very different once the big guns up front mature a little and when we’ve got the kind of New NHL D we need to get them the puck in a hurry - I.e. when you’re running a D corps with Rielly, Lily, Sandin, Dermott & Muzzin on it. That’s a very, very different squad and one you’d expect to be able to make high skill breakout plays under pressure in their own end, likely alleviating some of the in-zone problems with our D. When Z is getting 5/6 minutes and doing PK duty, things will look much different.

Assistants could change and that may or my not involve Keefe. I’ve heard from several sources that Hiller has been granted permission to talk to other clubs and there’s speculation that Smith could be gone too. That would change the D as well because Smith is thought to be a more conservative chip-it-out kind of coach.

She thinks Brown could be in EDM next year and that the problem with Brown isn’t that he suxors, but that he’s playing too fa4 down the depth chart. He seems to thrive being a garbage collector and glue guy with more skilled players. He’s not a pure grinder and our third line never really found an identity and a flow this year.

She thinks that Marleau will be back and that they like him because of his professionalism and his attitude. I think he’s obviously overpaid for third line production, but with one year left and an NMC there’s not a tonne you can do without treating a quality person like shit and going against the entire organisational ethos of doing things right and building good people.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #207 by Curry Rage » Tue May 14, 2019 2:54 pm

Oh, and she thinks Marner’s camp are fucking nuts if they’re asking for more than Kucherov as he’s a possible Hart Trophy winner and scores more goals, for which there is a premium. Thinks that negotiation will come down to how badly Marner wants to be a Leaf and how ready he is to tell his reps to get ‘er done accordingly.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 621 times
Received rep: 331 times

Post #208 by vf » Tue May 14, 2019 8:21 pm

But I want my new shiny toy dammit!
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #209 by Curry Rage » Wed May 15, 2019 10:22 am

vf wrote:But I want my new shiny toy dammit!

Oh yeah. I sometimes think that the issues with Babs simply come from how he handles the media and public statements. He’s not going to let you into the inner sanctum and tell you about the process. He’s going to tell you “they shot it in the net and we didn’t” and leave you to your own projections.

At the first sign of a stumble on the biggest stage in hockey, the questions about Keefe’s preparedness would start; whether it was the right time to put a young guy in charge of a team with so much star power. Are they walking all over him? Do they respect him enough? You can write the rest.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
vf
Registered Broad

Post #210 by vf » Wed May 15, 2019 11:28 am

You mean like exactly what happened to Dallas Eakins? You imagine if his first job was the Leafs?
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #211 by Curry Rage » Thu May 16, 2019 4:20 pm

Bourne continues his hot streak with this look at which Marlies could play roles on the Leafs next year.

Liked this bit:

And if you watched the 2018-19 Leafs and your takeaway was “You know what they need, is more light, skilled setup guys,” I’m not sure you’re cut out for hockey analysis in any capacity.

Double heh.

‪‪https://theathletic.com/981125/2019/05/16/bourne-three-questions-to-help-the-leafs-determine-if-any-current-marlies-are-ready-for-prime-time/‬
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #212 by Curry Rage » Fri May 24, 2019 1:20 pm

I suppose we should add that some dude got hired to help out Babs to this thread.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 266 times
Received rep: 582 times

Post #213 by Thomas Malthus » Fri May 24, 2019 2:13 pm

Mirtle's piece on the coaching staff shuffle: https://theathletic.com/993254/2019/05/ ... ce=related

What’s unclear is if the Leafs were looking to blow out both assistants this offseason. D.J. Smith getting hired by the Senators on Thursday serves as a mild surprise, given some of the higher profile candidates they had been looking at, and it means that Babcock’s lieutenants will be turned over completely.

Hiller, meanwhile, was given the opportunity in recent weeks to look for other opportunities without the team announcing he had been “fired” publicly. This was in order to give him a little more leverage in the job hunt, but the news began to trickle out over the past few days.

Hiller’s replacement, 33-year-old former Panthers assistant Paul McFarland, has been on GM Kyle Dubas’ radar for years. The organization took notice when he was let go by Florida in early April after they brought in Joel Quenneville and his new staff.
The frustration with Hiller seemed to be there was some staleness setting in, after five years with Babcock. In the weeks and months when the Leafs power play was misfiring, the staff had a hard time adapting what had worked in previous years with different personnel.
As for losing Smith, that opens a significant hole on the defensive side of the bench. Players have indicated that Babcock is very influential on the penalty kill, so we can’t credit all of its struggles to the assistant, but this change – planned or not – will give them yet another different look in an area they need to improve.

The rumoured names out there for the opening are all veterans with a lot of NHL experience. Of those, Marc Crawford stands out in part due to his close relationship with Matthews, who he coached in Switzerland during his year overseas.
"It's not like we don't have skill, we do have skill. Just we don't know how to play." - Mike Babcock
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #214 by Curry Rage » Sat May 25, 2019 3:21 am

They won’t put Babs’ replacement on the bench but they’d hire (checks notes) Marc Crawford?
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Transplanted Caper
Has given rep: 71 times
Received rep: 236 times

Post #215 by Transplanted Caper » Thu May 30, 2019 3:55 pm

AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 363 times
Received rep: 382 times

Post #216 by AGENT ZERO » Thu May 30, 2019 4:11 pm

Fantastic, trade him while his value is high after the playoffs.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 792 times
Received rep: 728 times

Post #217 by LeafOfBread » Thu May 30, 2019 4:47 pm

No surprise there. Zaitsev also made some comments in a Russian interview the other day which were pretty critical.

Poorly translated but here is what he said

“I’m amused that clowns like Cherry have a very big emphasis in our country as real experts,” Zaitsev himself explained. - It will immediately hang out on the sites, as if this is a serious person of some kind, in all seriousness. And the reader thinks - yes, Zaitsev, probably, some kind of garbage is engaged. You went out, you just do not have a living place, but people sit and think: "Damn, well, yes, that there, I came to zero in general."

“Look better after the season, who in Toronto is the thinnest and who made more hits, no matter how strange it may sound,” said Zaitsev. - And who caught the puck the most. Who played the most time in the minority. Do you think it is easy for a bad guy to hit someone, go under the puck, run in the minority, cut off the puck's puck? ”

“When I signed the contract (on May 2, 2017, Sports.ru ), they drove up to me on the very first day and said:“ We consider that you are the best in the minority and you will play an entire minority. We haven't talked about this for two years. Five-to-five I play in the defense zone. When I am stuffed into the attack zone, I immediately go for a shift. ”

“Everyone said that the defense of Toronto was shit,” he explains. - Everybody wanted Mazzin. But he began to smear the next day. You just need to understand that this is Toronto. You will be defrauded anyway, because you are a defender. ”

Yeah, seems like he was fed up.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #218 by Curry Rage » Thu May 30, 2019 5:47 pm

Leaf fans: undoing the work the organisation does to improve the image of playing in Toronto.

If he’s unhappy, that’s more reason to move him. But Dubas better pull some right handed rabbits out of a hat or we’ll be even further from really contending than we are now.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #219 by LeafOfBread » Thu May 30, 2019 5:56 pm

Bobby Mac confirmed that Zaitsev asked to be moved
Cunning Stunt II
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1101 times
Received rep: 101 times

Post #220 by Cunning Stunt II » Thu May 30, 2019 6:22 pm

LeafOfBread wrote:Bobby Mac confirmed that Zaitsev asked to be moved

BIGGEST TRADE OF THE YEAR
Make Toronto Great Again
mooseOAK
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 47 times
Received rep: 373 times

Post #221 by mooseOAK » Thu May 30, 2019 8:20 pm

Always thought that Zaitsev was good value for his contract. Getting equal value in return will be difficult.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #222 by LeafOfBread » Thu May 30, 2019 8:25 pm

:donger:
Geo
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 472 times
Received rep: 57 times

Post #223 by Geo » Fri May 31, 2019 4:04 pm

I've thought for some time that, if the Leafs did trade Zaitsev, it could be with Vancouver. Gut prediction is for Tanev plus draft pick(s).

Jim Benning will sell himself on this acquisition:
- Never mind that Edler still hasn't re-signed, for whatever those reasons are and how that works out, but Benning is already talking about improving the defense and not putting as many minutes on Edler and Tanev specifically.
- Benning needs a guy who can play big minutes and be involved in all facets to protect his younger players. Desperately so if Edler walks.
- Karlsson will not sign there.
- Neither would Trouba, but the Canucks in general don't have the assets to trade for a prominent defenseman. And with the Draft being in Vancouver this year, you would think they have to be absolutely sure about a deal if they're including the 10th overall pick.
- Zaitsev's rookie year usage and offensive production.
- Spend more money, if not also more term, on Tyler Myers?

If Tanev is involved:
- Similar cap hits (Zaitsev at 4.5M per, Tanev at 4.45M), easier to rationalize in his mind.
- Tremendously doubtful that Tanev is looked at as a long-term solution, if they aren't ready to move on already. He turns 30 years old in December. Zaitsev is two years younger, which offsets some of the increased term, in addition to the aforementioned role he would play.
- The Canucks have all of their draft picks plus two additional 6th round picks, and there's already talk about being active in trades. Still keeps the 10th overall pick and so on, in this scenario.
- Benning has never been able to land a big deal, but he can sell this to the fanbase.

I can see him buying this as a upgrade and making the move.

If there is any merit to this, still depends on how the Leafs feel and what other offers they can get. Tanev could presumably be a partner for Rielly, but for a team with high expectations, you're also taking a massive risk on guy with a terrible history of injuries - even with the motivation of a contract year. Could potentially have a huge impact in one year and then nothing afterwards, would they be looking for something else in a returning asset? He'll be off the books when Muzzin's contract expires, do they see that as a positive?

We'll see how the Leafs handle things. I wouldn't be shocked if they smooth things out and he sticks around for at least another year, playing with Muzzin for the 2019-2020 season would only improve his value while giving the team a solid pairing to contend with. But the timing of this move could be now, before the modified NTC kicks in, if Dubas isn't sold.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #224 by AGENT ZERO » Fri May 31, 2019 4:24 pm

AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #225 by AGENT ZERO » Fri May 31, 2019 4:32 pm

I could see both NY teams being interested in Z. Hopefully the Leafs are able to move that contract this off-season while it is still tradeable and give themselves some cap flexibility to resign Marner, Johnsson and Kapanen.
mooseOAK
Registered Broad

Post #226 by mooseOAK » Fri May 31, 2019 7:16 pm

I don't believe that Zaitsev was ever a contract that they wanted to move.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #227 by AGENT ZERO » Fri May 31, 2019 7:42 pm

They were rumored to have tried to move him earlier this year by Chris Johnston.
mooseOAK
Registered Broad

Post #228 by mooseOAK » Fri May 31, 2019 9:24 pm

Maybe the trade request came earlier than reported. It would be rare for a team headed to the playoffs to want to trade a top four defenceman, they always want to improve on what they have.
MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 349 times
Received rep: 286 times

Post #229 by MonkeyWrench » Fri May 31, 2019 9:42 pm

Too lazy to dig it up, but the CJ report said they could have moved him. Additionally (forget if this was speculation or factual rumours) the leafs were sniffing around a top pairing quality dman at the trade deadline. This was post-Muzzin trade.
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 87 times
Received rep: 197 times

Post #230 by Whit Dickman » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:21 am

Unlike many squints, I don't think we'll need to pay to move Zaitsev. Will the return be any good? No, probably not. But his value is not that far off his salary. If he was a free agent, he would get a similar contract.
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #231 by Whit Dickman » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:26 am

Rumors that LA might be a fit for Marleau.

Would people trade Patty for Dion mfkin Phaneuf if LA retained and Dion's salary went down to, say, $3 mill? (He has 2 years left)
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #232 by Curry Rage » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:04 am

No to Dion. He’s even slower than when he left and the circus around the return of a captain would be terrible.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
stoney
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 309 times
Received rep: 191 times

Post #233 by stoney » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:25 pm

Curry Rage wrote:No to Dion. He’s even slower than when he left and the circus around the return of a captain would be terrible.

And he is awful at hockey
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #234 by Whit Dickman » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:04 am

Kypreos sez that Patty has asked to be moved to the west since his family is moving back there. The T.O. vacation is over, it seems.
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 387 times
Received rep: 578 times

Post #235 by clawfirst » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:21 am

Sorry we cant find a trade that works for us. Enjoy retirement
MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 349 times
Received rep: 286 times

Post #236 by MonkeyWrench » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:08 am

We'll either be taking a good sized contract back or eat some dollars off his final year. Sucks to do so, but hell, a little bit of something is better than nothing.
mooseOAK
Registered Broad

Post #237 by mooseOAK » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:38 am

Marleau is only making $1.25 million in his final year after the signing bonus is paid. The only way the Leafs could sign him was by offering the third year so hopefully they had a plan.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #238 by AGENT ZERO » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:26 pm

According to Kyper Marleau is moving back to San Jose and has given the Leafs permission to trade him provided that it is to a Western team close to his home.
Cunning Stunt II
Registered Broad

Post #239 by Cunning Stunt II » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:30 pm

Have heard scuttlebutt suggesting Marleau to Anaheim for Patrick Eaves. As Moose said Marleau is only owed 1.25 million next year and at that price is great value. (assuming the acquiring team has cap room). Meanwhile Eaves is on LTIR with a contract and cap hit of 3 million. BUT his contract is not insured. So Anaheim saves almost 2 million and gets a useful player and incurs a cap hit increase of 3 million. Leafs pick up 3 million in cap space and more when he goes on LTIR.

Along the lines of the Horton/Clarkson trade.
Make Toronto Great Again
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #240 by AGENT ZERO » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:37 pm

Patrick Eaves makes alot of sense, and allows the Leafs to allocate his LTIR to a Johnsson/Kapanen extension for next year.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 266 times
Received rep: 582 times

Post #241 by Thomas Malthus » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:05 pm

Good to see you CS!
"It's not like we don't have skill, we do have skill. Just we don't know how to play." - Mike Babcock
WTF
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 380 times
Received rep: 643 times

Post #242 by WTF » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:57 pm

CS with the insider information. Nice
Dynrehab
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 120 times
Received rep: 255 times

Post #243 by Dynrehab » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:28 pm

Whit Dickman wrote:Rumors that LA might be a fit for Marleau.

Would people trade Patty for Dion mfkin Phaneuf if LA retained and Dion's salary went down to, say, $3 mill? (He has 2 years left)

How much is Dion’s Buyout?
Dynrehab
Registered Broad

Post #244 by Dynrehab » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:30 pm

AGENT ZERO wrote:According to Kyper Marleau is moving back to San Jose and has given the Leafs permission to trade him provided that it is to a Western team close to his home.

So LA, SAN Jose, Anaheim and Phoenix? Anyone else close? Vancouver is at least the same time zone. Edit: I forgot Vegas

I still think he and Jumbo will retire.
Cunning Stunt II
Registered Broad

Post #245 by Cunning Stunt II » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:13 pm

Dynrehab wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:According to Kyper Marleau is moving back to San Jose and has given the Leafs permission to trade him provided that it is to a Western team close to his home.

So LA, SAN Jose, Anaheim and Phoenix? Anyone else close? Vancouver is at least the same time zone. Edit: I forgot Vegas

I still think he and Jumbo will retire

We better trade him before he retires or we are stuck with his cap hit.
Make Toronto Great Again
Dynrehab
Registered Broad

Post #246 by Dynrehab » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:31 pm

Cunning Stunt II wrote:
Dynrehab wrote:

There is no question in my mind that will be the case. I think this was decided 2 years ago.
vf
Registered Broad

Post #247 by vf » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:10 pm

Arizona will always be desperate for AAV > dollars.
paulster
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 912 times
Received rep: 434 times

Post #248 by paulster » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:57 am

Cunning Stunt II wrote:
Dynrehab wrote:

Wouldn’t the coyotes like to have that dead cap hit on the books?
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #249 by Whit Dickman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:14 am

Marleau ain't retiring. He has an iron man streak for christ's sake!
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #250 by Curry Rage » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:35 pm

paulster wrote:
Cunning Stunt II wrote:
Dynrehab wrote:

Wouldn’t the coyotes like to have that dead cap hit on the books?

These ain’t your papa’s Coyotes.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/coyotes
*Buy Oil Stocks!*

Return to “The Auston Matthews show”