2019 Off Season Thread

Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 735 times
Received rep: 556 times

Re: 2019 Off Season Thread

Post #201 by Curry Rage » Wed May 08, 2019 3:56 am

Whit Dickman wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:Oz is going home. Two big Russians in, one big Russian out.

I thought we was decent. Not good enough to stick, however, and not likely to get much better.

I had hope he’d pan out a bit better, but the jump from the KHL to the NHL is a big one. If he were younger or didn’t have a big pay cheque waiting for him at home, I think you’d see him here another year if only because of our depth issues at RD.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #202 by Curry Rage » Wed May 08, 2019 5:05 pm

Interesting that Boston wasn’t consistently on the right side of the ledger until Game 7 against us.

*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #203 by Curry Rage » Thu May 09, 2019 6:15 pm

*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #204 by Curry Rage » Thu May 09, 2019 6:20 pm

*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Honus Joglund
Registered Broad
Received rep: 653 times

Post #205 by Honus Joglund » Fri May 10, 2019 12:06 am

Curry Rage wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3pwSYR68ycI

Now that's a real big man. Image
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #206 by Curry Rage » Tue May 14, 2019 12:05 pm

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/l ... 0437844586

Good podcast with Rachel Doerrie, who has done some video work for the Leafs at their Development Camp. Try as they might to get a “Keefe >>> Babs AINEC” angle, Doerrie points out several things that go against the grain of the common narrative promulgated here and on various Leaf related sites.

First, Babs and Keefe are chums. So the idea that Babs’ huge ego wouldn’t allow him to work with Keefe as an assistant is probably bullshit. And why wouldn’t they be chums, I ask? Keefe gets to learn from one of the best coaches in the game while Babs gets to pick the brain of an up and coming coach and make his game better. Keefe gets to run Babs’ systems in the AHL and tweak and toy about without the pressure of doing it in the show. Babs might get to add a guy to his staff who can help him get this team to another level which, last I looked, is good for him. I’m amazed at the zero sum perspective that people have on the relationships in the organisation, including Babs v Dubas, Keefe v Babs, etc. It reads more like an attempt to make heat for discussion than an objective view of the way the guys act and speak about themselves.

Second, while she first says that the two teams don’t run the same system, she goes back on herself and says that they do, but that the decision-making of individual players within the system is different. The differences come down to personnel. Again, that’s down to management and development. It’s one thing for Keefe to be able to tell a guy with Sandin’s or Lilly’s skill to hold the puck and make a play in his own zone against an AHL forechecker and, if he gives it away, tell him he better learn not to. It’s another for Babs to be presented with options like Polak, Hainsey, Zaitsev, Marancin, etc. and ask them to do that against NHL opposition when even an NHL fourth liner will bury a chance created from a bad giveaway (see Game 7 vs the Bruins). Keefe has had the luxury of having high end AHL/NHL-bound skill on his D for a couple of seasons now. Rosen, Dermott, Borgman, Sandin, Lily, Holl, etc.

Until such time as we have the NHL-ready depth to play that possession game at the back (and we saw some of it in e.g. Game 5 against BOS) the coaching staff have to do things another way. So when Babs talks about depth and finding players (and the mob say he’s blaming the players or hanging Dubas out to dry blah blah) that’s what he’s talking about. This team will look - as I’ve said all season - very different once the big guns up front mature a little and when we’ve got the kind of New NHL D we need to get them the puck in a hurry - I.e. when you’re running a D corps with Rielly, Lily, Sandin, Dermott & Muzzin on it. That’s a very, very different squad and one you’d expect to be able to make high skill breakout plays under pressure in their own end, likely alleviating some of the in-zone problems with our D. When Z is getting 5/6 minutes and doing PK duty, things will look much different.

Assistants could change and that may or my not involve Keefe. I’ve heard from several sources that Hiller has been granted permission to talk to other clubs and there’s speculation that Smith could be gone too. That would change the D as well because Smith is thought to be a more conservative chip-it-out kind of coach.

She thinks Brown could be in EDM next year and that the problem with Brown isn’t that he suxors, but that he’s playing too fa4 down the depth chart. He seems to thrive being a garbage collector and glue guy with more skilled players. He’s not a pure grinder and our third line never really found an identity and a flow this year.

She thinks that Marleau will be back and that they like him because of his professionalism and his attitude. I think he’s obviously overpaid for third line production, but with one year left and an NMC there’s not a tonne you can do without treating a quality person like shit and going against the entire organisational ethos of doing things right and building good people.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #207 by Curry Rage » Tue May 14, 2019 2:54 pm

Oh, and she thinks Marner’s camp are fucking nuts if they’re asking for more than Kucherov as he’s a possible Hart Trophy winner and scores more goals, for which there is a premium. Thinks that negotiation will come down to how badly Marner wants to be a Leaf and how ready he is to tell his reps to get ‘er done accordingly.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 576 times
Received rep: 317 times

Post #208 by vf » Tue May 14, 2019 8:21 pm

But I want my new shiny toy dammit!
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #209 by Curry Rage » Wed May 15, 2019 10:22 am

vf wrote:But I want my new shiny toy dammit!

Oh yeah. I sometimes think that the issues with Babs simply come from how he handles the media and public statements. He’s not going to let you into the inner sanctum and tell you about the process. He’s going to tell you “they shot it in the net and we didn’t” and leave you to your own projections.

At the first sign of a stumble on the biggest stage in hockey, the questions about Keefe’s preparedness would start; whether it was the right time to put a young guy in charge of a team with so much star power. Are they walking all over him? Do they respect him enough? You can write the rest.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 576 times
Received rep: 317 times

Post #210 by vf » Wed May 15, 2019 11:28 am

You mean like exactly what happened to Dallas Eakins? You imagine if his first job was the Leafs?
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #211 by Curry Rage » Thu May 16, 2019 4:20 pm

Bourne continues his hot streak with this look at which Marlies could play roles on the Leafs next year.

Liked this bit:

And if you watched the 2018-19 Leafs and your takeaway was “You know what they need, is more light, skilled setup guys,” I’m not sure you’re cut out for hockey analysis in any capacity.

Double heh.

‪‪https://theathletic.com/981125/2019/05/16/bourne-three-questions-to-help-the-leafs-determine-if-any-current-marlies-are-ready-for-prime-time/‬
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #212 by Curry Rage » Fri May 24, 2019 1:20 pm

I suppose we should add that some dude got hired to help out Babs to this thread.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 250 times
Received rep: 555 times

Post #213 by Thomas Malthus » Fri May 24, 2019 2:13 pm

Mirtle's piece on the coaching staff shuffle: https://theathletic.com/993254/2019/05/ ... ce=related

What’s unclear is if the Leafs were looking to blow out both assistants this offseason. D.J. Smith getting hired by the Senators on Thursday serves as a mild surprise, given some of the higher profile candidates they had been looking at, and it means that Babcock’s lieutenants will be turned over completely.

Hiller, meanwhile, was given the opportunity in recent weeks to look for other opportunities without the team announcing he had been “fired” publicly. This was in order to give him a little more leverage in the job hunt, but the news began to trickle out over the past few days.

Hiller’s replacement, 33-year-old former Panthers assistant Paul McFarland, has been on GM Kyle Dubas’ radar for years. The organization took notice when he was let go by Florida in early April after they brought in Joel Quenneville and his new staff.
The frustration with Hiller seemed to be there was some staleness setting in, after five years with Babcock. In the weeks and months when the Leafs power play was misfiring, the staff had a hard time adapting what had worked in previous years with different personnel.
As for losing Smith, that opens a significant hole on the defensive side of the bench. Players have indicated that Babcock is very influential on the penalty kill, so we can’t credit all of its struggles to the assistant, but this change – planned or not – will give them yet another different look in an area they need to improve.

The rumoured names out there for the opening are all veterans with a lot of NHL experience. Of those, Marc Crawford stands out in part due to his close relationship with Matthews, who he coached in Switzerland during his year overseas.
"It's not like we don't have skill, we do have skill. Just we don't know how to play." - Mike Babcock
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #214 by Curry Rage » Sat May 25, 2019 3:21 am

They won’t put Babs’ replacement on the bench but they’d hire (checks notes) Marc Crawford?
*Buy Oil Stocks!*

Return to “The Auston Matthews show”