Coronavirus Watch Thread: A Plague Prepper's Guide to Survival

Results: Will still lose to Boston in 7 games
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 376 times
Received rep: 393 times

Re: Coronavirus Watch Thread: A Plague Prepper's Guide to Survival

Post #51 by AGENT ZERO » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:05 am

I just completed my SP100 Course for forest fire-fighting this weekend, and thank fuck I did, because every program henceforth in the country has been shutdown indefinitely and it is a mandatory requirement to get onto a forest fire-fighting crew for the summer.
vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 834 times
Received rep: 413 times

Post #52 by vf » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:57 pm

My coffee company, so far, has weirdly been busier. I think right now people are really trending on support local. I hope it lasts. Helps we're the only local company offering delivery afaik.
vf
Registered Broad

Post #53 by vf » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:58 pm

AGENT ZERO wrote:I just completed my SP100 Course for forest fire-fighting this weekend, and thank fuck I did, because every program henceforth in the country has been shutdown indefinitely and it is a mandatory requirement to get onto a forest fire-fighting crew for the summer.

The forest would be a fine place to spend the summer. Better then being in lockdown all summer.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #54 by AGENT ZERO » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:59 pm

vf wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:I just completed my SP100 Course for forest fire-fighting this weekend, and thank fuck I did, because every program henceforth in the country has been shutdown indefinitely and it is a mandatory requirement to get onto a forest fire-fighting crew for the summer.

The forest would be a fine place to spend the summer. Better then being in lockdown all summer.

I got hired with Haliburton Fire and just missed the cut before they started cancelling everything, I just need to find a place now. Selfishly, I am a bit happy that this is happening now as I was really bummed about missing everything that comes with the summer (playoff hockey, softball and soccer etc.) but this lockdown means I am not going to be missing much.
vf
Registered Broad

Post #55 by vf » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:02 pm

Haha I hear ya man. I think we're going to be in this the rest of the year in one way or another. Travel for sure.
WTF
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 413 times
Received rep: 737 times

Post #56 by WTF » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:10 pm

Stay safe, guys. I get the sense that this will have to be our new normal for months.
Dynrehab
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 125 times
Received rep: 276 times

Post #57 by Dynrehab » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:13 pm

WTF wrote:Stay safe, guys. I get the sense that this will have to be our new normal for months.

If the great leader south of our border has his way, we’ll all be dead, or have immunity by Labour day. We’ll all catch it, and die, or overcome it.
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 69 times
Received rep: 811 times

Post #58 by Craig » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:15 pm

Except it (probably) mutates, so you can (probably) get it more than once.
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #59 by WTF » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:29 pm

Dynrehab wrote:
WTF wrote:Stay safe, guys. I get the sense that this will have to be our new normal for months.

If the great leader south of our border has his way, we’ll all be dead, or have immunity by Labour day. We’ll all catch it, and die, or overcome it.

It's really interfering with his grifting. I mean, how's he supposed to make a dishonest living in the midst of a pandemic? Trump-branded defective PPE?
vf
Registered Broad

Post #60 by vf » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:50 pm

WTF wrote:
Dynrehab wrote:

It's really interfering with his grifting. I mean, how's he supposed to make a dishonest living in the midst of a pandemic? Trump-branded defective PPE?

*Made in China
MP
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 163 times
Received rep: 647 times

Post #61 by MP » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:32 pm

vf wrote:My coffee company, so far, has weirdly been busier. I think right now people are really trending on support local. I hope it lasts. Helps we're the only local company offering delivery afaik.

I picked up 5 lbs from my local coffee roaster yesterday. I figured they might have been deemed non-essential...
Dynrehab
Registered Broad

Post #62 by Dynrehab » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:06 pm

Craig wrote:Except it (probably) mutates, so you can (probably) get it more than once.

Yo, science.
Dynrehab
Registered Broad

Post #63 by Dynrehab » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:08 pm

WTF wrote:
Dynrehab wrote:

They made a fortune in the stock market, after selling everything off before telling America this thing is realish.
vf
Registered Broad

Post #64 by vf » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:11 pm

MP wrote:
vf wrote:My coffee company, so far, has weirdly been busier. I think right now people are really trending on support local. I hope it lasts. Helps we're the only local company offering delivery afaik.

I picked up 5 lbs from my local coffee roaster yesterday. I figured they might have been deemed non-essential...

We fall under food so are essential. Good on ya for supporting local coffee. Since we started the company I can't drink Tim's. Scorched to shit everytime.
mooseOAK
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 65 times
Received rep: 504 times

Post #65 by mooseOAK » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:36 pm

vf
Registered Broad

Post #66 by vf » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:41 am

I kept waiting for it to turn into a brazzers video.
paulster
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1060 times
Received rep: 510 times

Post #67 by paulster » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:52 am

Craig wrote:Except it (probably) mutates, so you can (probably) get it more than once.

I am the world's 576th best armchair virologist.

There is no evidence that this is the case with COVID-19. All viruses change somewhat, very quickly. This particular virus is no different. Any mutations drastic enough to affect immunity are believed to be those which would make the virus less lethal, as those would be more likely to spread.

Anyway so far Dr. Sanjay Gupta is the only guy I listen to on this shit and he says there's no evidence that re-infection is currently possible, and the mutations you're referring to are unlikely.

Misinformation and false fears are a pandemic's best friend. Your (probably)'s should be (unlikely)'s.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #68 by Craig » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:06 am

My source for that was this:

I think the more accurate thing to say would be (might)s because we simply don't know yet if it's going to mutate like the flu or like mumps.
paulster
Registered Broad

Post #69 by paulster » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:57 am

We might also discover a treatment in the next few weeks. It might slow down as the weather warms. There are lots of other “mights” that aren’t as panicky so they aren’t as fun to say I guess.

This virus isn’t the leafs so a letdown isn’t guaranteed.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #70 by Craig » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:33 pm

Well, those other mights aren't really possible. Like we might have already discovered treatments, but they simply don't get approved and rolled out that quickly. We know warm weather doesn't do much, because the virus has already spread to warm places.
paulster
Registered Broad

Post #71 by paulster » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:36 pm

Craig wrote:Well, those other mights aren't really possible. Like we might have already discovered treatments, but they simply don't get approved and rolled out that quickly. We know warm weather doesn't do much, because the virus has already spread to warm places.

And everything you’ve just said might be incorrect tomorrow.

A treatment using known medications would be approved extremely quickly and rolled out to hospital staff and first responders almost immediately.

There are apparently 9 different vaccines in development, and while sure they typically take a year and a half to be determined safe, this situation is different.

Just because the virus has spread in warm climates doesn’t mean the rate of transmission won’t slow down in the northern hemisphere in the coming months, hopefully enough to ease the strain on the medical system.

It’s more fun to think positively. I find going for a jog helps me do this more. The computer screens are so scary - remember they want us to keep coming back for updates.

The entire globe is focused on solving a single problem. This is incredible to watch.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #72 by AGENT ZERO » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:28 pm

paulster wrote:

There is no evidence that this is the case with COVID-19. All viruses change somewhat, very quickly. This particular virus is no different. Any mutations drastic enough to affect immunity are believed to be those which would make the virus less lethal, as those would be more likely to spread.

Anyway so far Dr. Sanjay Gupta is the only guy I listen to on this shit and he says there's no evidence that re-infection is currently possible, and the mutations you're referring to are unlikely.

Misinformation and false fears are a pandemic's best friend. Your (probably)'s should be (unlikely)'s.

AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #73 by AGENT ZERO » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:35 pm

paulster wrote:
Craig wrote:Well, those other mights aren't really possible. Like we might have already discovered treatments, but they simply don't get approved and rolled out that quickly. We know warm weather doesn't do much, because the virus has already spread to warm places.

And everything you’ve just said might be incorrect tomorrow.

A treatment using known medications would be approved extremely quickly and rolled out to hospital staff and first responders almost immediately.

There are apparently 9 different vaccines in development, and while sure they typically take a year and a half to be determined safe, this situation is different.

Just because the virus has spread in warm climates doesn’t mean the rate of transmission won’t slow down in the northern hemisphere in the coming months, hopefully enough to ease the strain on the medical system.

It’s more fun to think positively. I find going for a jog helps me do this more. The computer screens are so scary - remember they want us to keep coming back for updates.

The entire globe is focused on solving a single problem. This is incredible to watch.

The process of having vaccines peer reviewed, tested and then funded and distributed takes a long time. I am no expert on the subject, but people that I know who are, say the realistic best case scenario is a year for any vaccine. It is possible that a treatment comes out sooner by combining existing medicines, but that won't be the same as a cure.

The climate argument is tough to make too given the prevalence of this disease in countries in the middle east and Australia where the temperatures are very high. Maybe it limits the spread marginally, but clearly not enough to prevent shut downs as demonstrated by other warm climate countries.
vf
Registered Broad

Post #74 by vf » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:17 pm

You're presuming desperate nations will wait for normal process. The US will be dead before that happens.

The climate argument is tough on both sides. What developed nation that's a warm climate is suffering? Australia has less cases then Canada despite being a stones throw away. If it helps the virus die 10% faster that's a huge change.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #75 by Craig » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:29 pm

Most of Australia's metrics are roughly on par with Canada. A few less cases, but similar growth rates. Plus like, Iran? South Korea is warmer than here, Spain is warm. Israel, Brazil, Turkey...
vf
Registered Broad

Post #76 by vf » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:11 pm

Iran is a developed nation? Susf you silly troll
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #77 by Craig » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:26 pm

I'm honestly not sure if you're serious.
Dynrehab
Registered Broad

Post #78 by Dynrehab » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:40 pm

vf wrote:despite being a stones throw away

What?
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 510 times
Received rep: 758 times

Post #79 by clawfirst » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:33 pm

From China...der
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 510 times
Received rep: 758 times

Post #80 by clawfirst » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:37 pm

Also good luck everyone. This fucking sucks
Dynrehab
Registered Broad

Post #81 by Dynrehab » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:00 am

clawfirst wrote:From China...der

It’s like, 7000 Km away.
stoney
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 347 times
Received rep: 235 times

Post #82 by stoney » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:56 am

AGENT ZERO wrote:
vf wrote:

I got hired with Haliburton Fire and just missed the cut before they started cancelling everything, I just need to find a place now. Selfishly, I am a bit happy that this is happening now as I was really bummed about missing everything that comes with the summer (playoff hockey, softball and soccer etc.) but this lockdown means I am not going to be missing much.

You're going to be busy this summer
paulster
Registered Broad

Post #83 by paulster » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:27 am

AGENT ZERO wrote:
paulster wrote:

YouTube clips of NOT Dr. Sanjay Gupta

Hey what are you the worlds 575th best armchair virologist or something?
paulster
Registered Broad

Post #84 by paulster » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:28 am

Craig wrote:I'm honestly not sure if you're serious.

As if any of us actually know anything about Iran’s healthcare technology and political motivations.

We’re all retards with the ability to spout our pretend knowledge to the world. I’m just choosing to be optimistic was my point.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #85 by AGENT ZERO » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:49 pm

stoney wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:
vf wrote:

Do you have any experience with Haliburton or forest fire? Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #86 by AGENT ZERO » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:51 pm

paulster wrote:

As if any of us actually know anything about Iran’s healthcare technology and political motivations.

We’re all retards with the ability to spout our pretend knowledge to the world. I’m just choosing to be optimistic was my point.

FWIW, Bill Gates was on with Sanjay Gupta and Anderson Cooper last night and he said that he is still optimistic that we can put all of this behind us in a 10-12 week window.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 986 times
Received rep: 851 times

Post #87 by LeafOfBread » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:53 pm

AGENT ZERO wrote:
paulster wrote:

FWIW, Bill Gates was on with Sanjay Gupta and Anderson Cooper last night and he said that he is still optimistic that we can put all of this behind us in a 10-12 week window.

He also said we'd need to do a full lockdown which the morons down south likely won't be doing any time soon.
paulster
Registered Broad

Post #88 by paulster » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:27 pm

LeafOfBread wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:
paulster wrote:

He also said we'd need to do a full lockdown which the morons down south likely won't be doing any time soon.

If the USA doesn’t “flatten the curve,” it will be over faster than countries that do. And from what it sounds like, that’s exactly what they want to do. Lives be damned, the stock market reigns supreme, apparently.
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #89 by WTF » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:06 pm

paulster wrote:
LeafOfBread wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:

If the USA doesn’t “flatten the curve,” it will be over faster than countries that do. And from what it sounds like, that’s exactly what they want to do. Lives be damned, the stock market reigns supreme, apparently.

You mean like some of their politicians asking seniors to risk dying for their economy?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/coronavirus-covid-economy-seniors-1.5510079
stoney
Registered Broad

Post #90 by stoney » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:57 am

AGENT ZERO wrote:
stoney wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:

Do you have any experience with Haliburton or forest fire? Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Hand your back tank to a volunteer. (Best advice ever)

The only advice is keep your fitness and your training up and use your head.

Forest fires are a unique animal. Don't get surrounded, let it all burn down instead.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 986 times
Received rep: 851 times

Post #91 by LeafOfBread » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:37 am

AGENT ZERO wrote:
vf wrote:

Congrats dude, best of luck.
vf
Registered Broad

Post #92 by vf » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:56 am

Dynrehab wrote:
clawfirst wrote:From China...der

It’s like, 7000 Km away.

Comparatively speaking. Compared to any place in the Americas it's a stones throw. Graig was being dumb so I followed suit.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #93 by Craig » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:34 am

I think you might have hit your head, vf. If you think heat cures coronavirus, noticing that all the hot European countries and yes, also Iran, have had outbreaks is a valid point.
paulster
Registered Broad

Post #94 by paulster » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:09 am

Craig wrote:I think you might have hit your head, vf. If you think heat cures coronavirus, noticing that all the hot European countries and yes, also Iran, have had outbreaks is a valid point.

Nobody says heat cures it ya dork. Warm weather may slow the spread, since, you know, physics and all.
AZ
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 22 times
Received rep: 24 times

Post #95 by AZ » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:19 am

stoney wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:
stoney wrote:

Forest fires are a unique animal. Don't get surrounded, let it all burn down instead.

I appreciate the advice. I've been doing a lot of running lately with a weighted vest to simulate the weight of a hose pack and get my calves and hips used to travelling up and down hill with added weight. My hips in particular have been a weakness on long trips in the past because of my injury history.
AZ
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 22 times
Received rep: 24 times

Post #96 by AZ » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:20 am

LeafOfBread wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:
vf wrote:

Congrats dude, best of luck.

Thanks LOB, this is just the first step in my goal of one day becoming a structural fire fighter.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #97 by Craig » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:35 am

paulster wrote:
Craig wrote:I think you might have hit your head, vf. If you think heat cures coronavirus, noticing that all the hot European countries and yes, also Iran, have had outbreaks is a valid point.

Nobody says heat cures it ya dork. Warm weather may slow the spread, since, you know, physics and all.

You guys aren't good with non-literal communication, huh?
stoney
Registered Broad

Post #98 by stoney » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:32 pm

AZ wrote:
stoney wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:

I appreciate the advice. I've been doing a lot of running lately with a weighted vest to simulate the weight of a hose pack and get my calves and hips used to travelling up and down hill with added weight. My hips in particular have been a weakness on long trips in the past because of my injury history.

Shitty time for it as gyms are closed, but proper squats and deadlifts with a bar will make your life much much easier.
Throw a band around your knees to work your hips once your form is good.

You will notice it down the road when you are carrying tools, a fan and your normal 70lbs of gear up 10 stories. Leg day bears the most fruit.
vf
Registered Broad

Post #99 by vf » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:34 pm

Craig wrote:
paulster wrote:

From troll-y scab fans? No.
paulster
Registered Broad

Post #100 by paulster » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:31 pm

Craig wrote:
paulster wrote:

Buddy, it’s the internet. Words on a screen. If your ideas aren’t being properly interpreted, it’s your fault and you need to clarify instead of being a pussy.

Return to “The John Tavares show ft. Auston Matthews”