Our Beloved First Place Boys host Berta's Shittiest Boys, Flams - 7:00 PM TSN

Featuring the belief that adding Joe Thornton and Jason Spezza will help a team that folds in the playoffs
Honus Joglund
Registered Broad
Received rep: 863 times

Our Beloved First Place Boys host Berta's Shittiest Boys, Flams - 7:00 PM TSN

Post #1 by Honus Joglund » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:04 am

How will Matthew Tkachuk embarrass himself this time?
Honus Joglund
Registered Broad

Re: Our Beloved First Place Boys host Berta's Shittiest Boys, Flams - 7:00 PM TSN

Post #2 by Honus Joglund » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:06 am

tfw yer brother shames the whole family line Image
AZ
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 64 times
Received rep: 76 times

Re: Our Beloved First Place Boys host Berta's Shittiest Boys, Flams - 7:00 PM TSN

Post #3 by AZ » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:01 am

This will be a good barometer game, despite their record in the past couple of weeks the Flames are one of the best teams in the division and after getting embarrassed by the Oilers you would expect them to be very motivated tonight.
AZ
Registered Broad

Post #4 by AZ » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:22 pm

AZ
Registered Broad

Post #5 by AZ » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:25 pm

AZ
Registered Broad

Post #6 by AZ » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:26 pm

Also, I didn't notice this over the weekend, but apparently Willy was benched in the third against Montreal because he wasn't playing up to Keefe's expectations.

clawfirst
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 557 times
Received rep: 846 times

Post #7 by clawfirst » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:32 pm

AZ wrote:This will be a good barometer game, despite their record in the past couple of weeks the Flames are one of the best teams in the division and after getting embarrassed by the Oilers you would expect them to be very motivated tonight.

None of these teams are good.
AZ
Registered Broad

Post #8 by AZ » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:58 pm

clawfirst wrote:
AZ wrote:This will be a good barometer game, despite their record in the past couple of weeks the Flames are one of the best teams in the division and after getting embarrassed by the Oilers you would expect them to be very motivated tonight.

With the exception of Ottawa, every team in this division has elite offensive weapons. There are good teams in Canada.

Gaudreau - McDavid - Petersson
Boeser - Matthews - Marner
Dubois - Draisatl - Tavares
Connor - Schiefele - Wheeler
M.Tkachuk - Monahan - Nylander
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1078 times
Received rep: 884 times

Post #9 by LeafOfBread » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:24 pm

The fuck happened to Jumbo? Wasn't expecting that
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #10 by LeafOfBread » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:26 pm

almost all of our gritty and veteran presence guys are out right now, this sucks.
AZ
Registered Broad

Post #11 by AZ » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:40 pm

LeafOfBread wrote:almost all of our gritty and veteran presence guys are out right now, this sucks.

It's an opportunity for new guys to step up. I'm excited to see how Dermot and Lehtonen respond to the opportunity. Up front its up to Nylander and JT to make up for these absences. I have confidence in this team.
paulster
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1088 times
Received rep: 553 times

Post #12 by paulster » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:18 pm

AZ wrote:
clawfirst wrote:

With the exception of Ottawa, every team in this division has elite offensive weapons. There are good teams in Canada.

No no no! The leafs being good is because everyone else sucks, didn’t you get the memo?
AZ
Registered Broad

Post #13 by AZ » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:45 pm

paulster wrote:
AZ wrote:
clawfirst wrote:None of these teams are good.

No no no! The leafs being good is because everyone else sucks, didn’t you get the memo?

The Leafs could win a cup and there will still be excuses as to why it wasn't legitimate. I understand the criticism from other fan bases, but I just don't get why Leaf fans engage in this too, especially when it isn't true. The parity of this league is such that you could randomly distribute 31 teams into 4 different divisions a million different ways and the results really wouldn't make all that big of a difference.
paulster
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1088 times
Received rep: 553 times

Post #14 by paulster » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:03 pm

Totally agree AZ. It’s sad. Seems some relish in their own misery.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 383 times
Received rep: 745 times

Post #15 by Thomas Malthus » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:12 pm

I think some fans are just happy to watch their team and root for them to win, no matter what. I think other fans want to be seen as "smart" and they shit on the team as a way to perform their intelligence for other fans. Still others want their team to win but have been let down so many times that they just don't trust the team to be as good as they might appear—there's always an 18-wheeler lurking just out of view—and so they look for the evidence that there's no reason to be hopeful (and subsequently get hurt again).

And of course combinations of these. Or at least that's my armchair take on it.
"It's not like we don't have skill, we do have skill. Just we don't know how to play." - Mike Babcock
AZ
Registered Broad

Post #16 by AZ » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:28 pm

Thomas Malthus wrote:I think some fans are just happy to watch their team and root for them to win, no matter what. I think other fans want to be seen as "smart" and they shit on the team as a way to perform their intelligence for other fans. Still others want their team to win but have been let down so many times that they just don't trust the team to be as good as they might appear—there's always an 18-wheeler lurking just out of view—and so they look for the evidence that there's no reason to be hopeful (and subsequently get hurt again).

I was listening to Tulloch and Petrelli's podcast last week and one of the things Tulloch mentioned was that the Leafs are slightly above league average (14th IIRC) at holding the lead in the third period since Auston Matthews was drafted. I only offer that to you because the perception of the Leafs (which I'm guilty of too) is that no lead is safe, but the reality is that they are not especially bad in this area. Every team has brutal performances and collapses, the Leafs just get magnified because they are the center of the hockey universe.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #17 by Thomas Malthus » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:47 pm

AZ wrote:
Thomas Malthus wrote:I think some fans are just happy to watch their team and root for them to win, no matter what. I think other fans want to be seen as "smart" and they shit on the team as a way to perform their intelligence for other fans. Still others want their team to win but have been let down so many times that they just don't trust the team to be as good as they might appear—there's always an 18-wheeler lurking just out of view—and so they look for the evidence that there's no reason to be hopeful (and subsequently get hurt again).

I was listening to Tulloch and Petrelli's podcast last week and one of the things Tulloch mentioned was that the Leafs are slightly above league average (14th IIRC) at holding the lead in the third period since Auston Matthews was drafted. I only offer that to you because the perception of the Leafs (which I'm guilty of too) is that no lead is safe, but the reality is that they are not especially bad in this area. Every team has brutal performances and collapses, the Leafs just get magnified because they are the center of the hockey universe.

It certainly could be a salience thing—there was that blog recently about how the Leafs are the most inconsistent team and those tail end events could play an outsized role in evaluating the team especially when the loses are THAT bad. Another aspect could be that fans have sticky priors about team "identity" (and these can of course be shaped by media takes and those salient losses).
"It's not like we don't have skill, we do have skill. Just we don't know how to play." - Mike Babcock
AZ
Registered Broad

Post #18 by AZ » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:53 pm

Thomas Malthus wrote:
AZ wrote:

It certainly could be a salience thing—there was that blog recently about how the Leafs are the most inconsistent team and those tail end events could play an outsized role in evaluating the team especially when the loses are THAT bad. Another aspect could be that fans have sticky priors about team "identity" (and these can of course be shaped by media takes and those salient losses).

That is an excellent point. I also think the high expectations play into it a bit too. This team is so obviously talented that it can be hard to comprehend how they aren't more dominant.
AZ
Registered Broad

Post #19 by AZ » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:47 pm

Well this isn't the lineup I was expecting...LOL
WTF
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 436 times
Received rep: 792 times

Post #20 by WTF » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:58 pm

Andersen is reportedly out due to injury.
Shawnathan Horcoff
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1563 times
Received rep: 1951 times

Post #21 by Shawnathan Horcoff » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:08 pm

He certainly didn’t put on a nice face after stretching out for the save on stud centre Jake Évans. : (
god damn brewery
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #22 by WTF » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:12 pm

And Bennett has some Feces smeared all over his elbow.
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #23 by WTF » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:16 pm

Hutch is still a giver.
AZ
Registered Broad

Post #24 by AZ » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:16 pm

Hutch is so brutal.
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #25 by WTF » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:04 pm

Mikheyev is just fun to watch on the PK.
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 110 times
Received rep: 234 times

Post #26 by Whit Dickman » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:07 pm

This is Barabanov's best game so far by far
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #27 by Whit Dickman » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:10 pm

And AM is having weak game. He'll probably score still tho
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #28 by Thomas Malthus » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:22 pm

Just tuning in.
Jesus Christ Mickey, you've got to score on some of those.

Nice deflection but what a weird way to try and save that from Hutch.

Not a great look for our D that we're letting Tkachuk just do whatever he wants over there.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #29 by Thomas Malthus » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:32 pm

That was a fucking atrocious 5 on 3.
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #30 by Whit Dickman » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:36 pm

The 2nd and 3rd lines actually look good tonight. PP and Hutch have let us down
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #31 by WTF » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:37 pm

Should've been 4-on-4 at worst so I can see why Dermott reacted the way he did.
AZ
Registered Broad

Post #32 by AZ » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:46 pm

The Leafs are playing a better game but Rittich has been a wall. They are down 2-0, but the way Rittich is playing it feels like alot more.
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #33 by WTF » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:01 pm

That's a pretty weak tripping call.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #34 by Thomas Malthus » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:03 pm

Fucking brutal officiating, just wild weak ass calls on us but nothing for the Flames. If you're going to call it tight, do it for both teams FFS.

I like Holl but I think that's twice in recent games that he's been hunting the puck instead of just bodying a guy that lead to goals against.
Shawnathan Horcoff
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1563 times
Received rep: 1951 times

Post #35 by Shawnathan Horcoff » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:12 pm

@pois Image
god damn brewery
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #36 by Thomas Malthus » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:14 pm

Jesus this PP looks awful. Again.

This passing is killing us. Everything is about a foot off.
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #37 by WTF » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:14 pm

The powerplay has been pathetic for most of the night.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #38 by Thomas Malthus » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:19 pm

Not that this awful PP would do anything but I counted at least 3 calls that could have gone against the Flames on that shift based on the standard set by the Lehtonent and Dermott penalties earlier.

Why bother playing that Mikheyev, Engvall, Vesey line when you're down by 3? You're getting zero fucking offense from them.
AZ
Registered Broad

Post #39 by AZ » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:21 pm

It doesn't matter who we play tonight. Some nights the puck just won't cooperate and tonight is that night.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #40 by LeafOfBread » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:25 pm

All the injuries beforehand and Hutch in net just felt like a bad omen, didn't think we were going to win this one.
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #41 by WTF » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:28 pm

And the passes continue to be off so it's another waste of a powerplay.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #42 by Thomas Malthus » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:29 pm

Everyone's passes seem to be off: Nylander, Marner, Rielly. Matthews is picking passes up from his feet multiple times a shift.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #43 by Thomas Malthus » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:31 pm

Always gotta make a trash goalie look like a fucking worldbeater.

That was a fucking uninspiring game to watch, wish I'd done something else.
AZ
Registered Broad

Post #44 by AZ » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:32 pm

Wow our powerplay was bad...
Honus Joglund
Registered Broad

Post #45 by Honus Joglund » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:25 pm

134 GP, 6 G, 22 A, 28 PTS, 36 hits

85 GP, 8 G, 22 A, 30 PTS, 168 hits

^ One of those guys is taking up space in the lineup, the other one is stuck with the Marlies and nobody even remembers his name or that he's even under contract at all (Petan and Kenny Agostino)
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #46 by Whit Dickman » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:03 pm

I think Agostino should get a crack. Vesey needs to sit

Return to “The John Tavares show ft. Auston Matthews”