2021 Regular Season Fred

Featuring the belief that adding Joe Thornton and Jason Spezza will help a team that folds in the playoffs
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 397 times
Received rep: 419 times

Re: 2021 Regular Season Fred

Post #501 by AGENT ZERO » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:17 am

Honus Joglund wrote:In Mirtle's latest he suggests five deadline trades for the Leafs, including Nick Foligno, and more interestingly, Scott Laughton. This is the first I've seen Laughton's name out there, but he is tailor-made for the Leafs. He could play anywhere in the top-nine and help a mediocre PK, and he would up the compete level greatly.

Doing Foligno for picks/prospects and Laughton for Kerfoot would make this team into the kind of all-purpose juggernaut that wins Stanley Cup, much like Tampa Bay. They would have the speed and skill to match the most talented offensive teams, and enough brawn and grit to battle through the playoffs.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Foligno - Tavares - Nylander
Engvall - Laughton - Mikheyev
Thornton - Spezza - Simmonds

^ this team wins the Stanley Cup at least twelve times out of 50. Perhaps fourteen, even.

I'm with it, but Chucky has to stay in the lineup. His play to this point has dictated as much.
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 112 times
Received rep: 240 times

Post #502 by Whit Dickman » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:55 pm

AGENT ZERO wrote:
Honus Joglund wrote:In Mirtle's latest he suggests five deadline trades for the Leafs, including Nick Foligno, and more interestingly, Scott Laughton. This is the first I've seen Laughton's name out there, but he is tailor-made for the Leafs. He could play anywhere in the top-nine and help a mediocre PK, and he would up the compete level greatly.

Doing Foligno for picks/prospects and Laughton for Kerfoot would make this team into the kind of all-purpose juggernaut that wins Stanley Cup, much like Tampa Bay. They would have the speed and skill to match the most talented offensive teams, and enough brawn and grit to battle through the playoffs.

Foligno - Tavares - Nylander
Engvall - Laughton - Mikheyev
Thornton - Spezza - Simmonds

^ this team wins the Stanley Cup at least twelve times out of 50. Perhaps fourteen, even.

I'm with it, but Chucky has to stay in the lineup. His play to this point has dictated as much.

I'm guessing we'll have at least 1 injury

Would they take Kerfoot for Laughton? seems like a logical plan to me, in any case.
Honus Joglund
Registered Broad
Received rep: 881 times

Post #503 by Honus Joglund » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:54 pm

Who knows if they would do Kerfoot for Laughton, but Laughton is a UFA, so perhaps that would be a palatable basis of a trade for them. It would also save us $1.2 million on the cap, making it easier to fit Foligno in.

As for Glagunyuk, I will admit that I am surprised by his work ethic so far. I have never seen him skate as hard as he has. But the fact remains that he is traditionally one of the most unreliable talents in the league, and this is the year to overbuild this team. Next year we're going to be back in a division with TB and Boston and the newly improved Florida Panthers. If he keeps working hard, I would have him on next year's team, but I would still look to bump him out of the top-nine from the current team, especially in favour of more guys who bring some of the same traits to the table that Hyman does, which seem to unlock the potential of our top offensive guys.
AZ
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 88 times
Received rep: 97 times

Post #504 by AZ » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:47 pm

Kyle Dubas on TSN just said that Sandin is trending for a return next week and they anticipate he will factor in for the team in the second half and playoffs. They will also reevaluate Robertson and where he fits after their current trip and like Sandin expects him to compete for a role in the second half.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 404 times
Received rep: 757 times

Post #505 by Thomas Malthus » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:02 pm

So long Dermott.
"It's not like we don't have skill, we do have skill. Just we don't know how to play." - Mike Babcock
paulster
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1109 times
Received rep: 558 times

Post #506 by paulster » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:59 am

I’ll take a juggernaut please.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 990 times
Received rep: 846 times

Post #507 by Curry Rage » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:05 pm

paulster wrote:I’ll take a juggernaut please.

Careful what you wish for.
Kerfoot delenda est
paulster
Registered Broad

Post #508 by paulster » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:40 pm

Curry Rage wrote:
paulster wrote:I’ll take a juggernaut please.

Careful what you wish for.

A big, fat one.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #509 by Curry Rage » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:11 am

The collective comedown from this Campbell high is gonna be a doozy.
Kerfoot delenda est
AZ
Registered Broad

Post #510 by AZ » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:52 pm

Curry Rage wrote:The collective comedown from this Campbell high is gonna be a doozy.

Can you clarify this comment. Are you saying that Campbell's play is unsustainable or the Leafs play because of Campbell's goaltending or both?
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #511 by Curry Rage » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:32 pm

AZ wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:The collective comedown from this Campbell high is gonna be a doozy.

Can you clarify this comment. Are you saying that Campbell's play is unsustainable or the Leafs play because of Campbell's goaltending or both?

I’m saying that fans’ elation is unsustainable when the winning ends and the .944 sv% deflates. Or his leg explodes. Whichever comes first. Got people signing up to have his kids.
Kerfoot delenda est
AZ
Registered Broad

Post #512 by AZ » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:54 pm

I don't think anyone is expecting Campbell to maintain a .944%, but it is nice to see a Leafs goalie overachieve and maybe steal some points after Freddie gave so many away with his play.

As far as sustainability is concerned the Leafs underlying numbers actually paint a pretty optimistic picture. They have dominated 5 on 5 play and are giving up the lowest quality and output that they have in the Matthews era. There is also every reason to believe that their pp will regress positively towards the mean which should help make up for any regressions elsewhere. I also don't think the pk uptick in front of Campbell is a fluke, all of the analytics suggested Freddie was the problem there and lo and behold the pk has been good in front of Campbell and Hutchinson.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #513 by Curry Rage » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:08 pm

Zzzz...
Kerfoot delenda est
paulster
Registered Broad

Post #514 by paulster » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:36 pm

Back on top of the standings.

Campbell is now the greatest leafs goaltender of all time.

Courage Debbie downer percentage is at .950, an all time high. This to me sounds unsustainable.
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #515 by Whit Dickman » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:44 am

So what if we replaced Kerfoot with Hall

Hall - AM - MM
Gally - JT - Bill
Mikheyev - Engvall - Hyman
Jumbo - Spezza - Simmonds

This would give us back our shutdown line. Not sure how Hall would work on that like tho

Could do

Hall - Engvall - Mikheyev, make it more if an energy/zone exits/rush like, but not sure if our hearts can sustain all of those failed breakaways.

Galaxy brain

Hyman - AM - MM
Gally - JT - Mikheyev
Hall - Nylander - Simmonds
Jumbo - Engvall - Spezza

3rd line would score goals but I would be fearful of their defensive acumen.
AZ
Registered Broad

Post #516 by AZ » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:27 am

You have to play Hall in the top 6 as his main gifts are playmaking and retrievals on the forecheck which is exactly what you want flanking JT or Matthews.

My galaxy brain idea:

Hall - Tavares - Mikheyev
Galchenyuk - Nylander - Engvall
Robertson - Spezza - Simmonds
AZ
Registered Broad

Post #517 by AZ » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:29 am

All that being said I think our best play is to add Foligno and/or a Laughton type. The top 6 works as is, we just need some diversity in the bottom 6 and added goal scoring depth.
AZ
Registered Broad

Post #518 by AZ » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:03 am

Jack Campbell is obviously not the best goalie in the NHL, but the longer this goes on the more we need to consider the possibility that Jack Campbell is a legitimate starting goaltender in the NHL. This is a former top prospect at 17 and now the author of a career .920% in 74 NHL games. Plus goalies are weird, so would anyone really be surprised if Campbell is now a good to elite goalie?

Boring Choice #2
Has given rep: 1508 times
Received rep: 1272 times

Post #519 by Boring Choice #2 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:11 am

that's some #fancystat

(goals saved x #fancystat factor) / random other factor, limited to miscellaneous cutoff point i've randomly selected to make my point.

all when he could have just used save percentage and called it a day.
Boring Choice #2
Has given rep: 1508 times
Received rep: 1272 times

Post #520 by Boring Choice #2 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:13 am

also, where's the x-axis to show why certain players are more left or right of another player?
AZ
Registered Broad

Post #521 by AZ » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:40 am

Boring Choice #2 wrote:that's some #fancystat

(goals saved x #fancystat factor) / random other factor, limited to miscellaneous cutoff point i've randomly selected to make my point.

This is by no means perfect, and the drawbacks of using tracking shot data are well publicized, but this does do a better job of illustrating the difficulty of saves being made vs S% which treats all saves as the same.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #522 by Curry Rage » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:10 pm

Boring Choice #2 wrote:that's some #fancystat

You’ll have to forgive them. The squints have quietly and seamlessly shifted to trying to calculate shot quality after many years of vociferously arguing that it didn’t matter and that given a large enough sample goaltenders would be exposed to a more-or-less even number of all qualities of Corsiwicks so - by extension — sv% could suffice. They’re not always as clear as they could be or comfortable in their new shoes just yet. The intentions are good, though. I mean, shot quality does matter and sv% looks like it can favour goalies who see a lot of shots and/or play for teams that allow tonnes of muffins from outside, for instance. Our own Freddy looks to have blown out his asshole from stretching to save all the high quality chances the Leafs gave up for the past few years, though you’ll be told he’s just a bad guy or something.
Kerfoot delenda est
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #523 by Thomas Malthus » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:17 pm

Boring Choice #2 wrote:also, where's the x-axis to show why certain players are more left or right of another player?

It's there, it's just not in the preview. X-axis is expected goals per 100 shots against and ranges from 5.4 to 7.6.
"It's not like we don't have skill, we do have skill. Just we don't know how to play." - Mike Babcock
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #524 by Thomas Malthus » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:21 pm

I'm pretty excited to see how this team finishes the season. They're right in the mix to push for the President's trophy. Wouldn't that be something?
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #525 by Curry Rage » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:33 pm

Thomas Malthus wrote:I'm pretty excited to see how this team finishes the season. They're right in the mix to push for the President's trophy. Wouldn't that be something?

Means even less than usual this year.
Kerfoot delenda est
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #526 by Thomas Malthus » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:47 pm

Curry Rage wrote:
Thomas Malthus wrote:I'm pretty excited to see how this team finishes the season. They're right in the mix to push for the President's trophy. Wouldn't that be something?

I assume you mean that the home-ice advantage that would come with it is practically worthless this year. And sure, I agree. But, it's some tangible measure of success for this club that extends beyond simply making the playoffs. That's progress in my books.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #527 by Curry Rage » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:53 pm

Thomas Malthus wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:

I assume you mean that the home-ice advantage that would come with it is practically worthless this year. And sure, I agree. But, it's some tangible measure of success for this club that extends beyond simply making the playoffs. That's progress in my books.

More that having the best record in the league doesn’t mean much when you don’t really play *the league* and it’s a bit of a participation prize anyway.
Kerfoot delenda est
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #528 by Curry Rage » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:56 pm

Still get a little chuckle from Cam Charron’s hotter-than-a-half-fucked-fox-in-a-forest-fire take that it was the true championship because sample size many years ago. Always presumed he was trolling.
Kerfoot delenda est
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #529 by Whit Dickman » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:59 pm

Thomas Malthus wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:

I think he means because teams are only playing within their division, so the President's trophy will likely go to the best team in the softest division
AZ
Registered Broad

Post #530 by AZ » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:42 pm

Thomas Malthus wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:

They are also re-seeding after the first two rounds which makes the President's Trophy more important than ever. Can you imagine avoiding Tampa and Colorado in a semi-final matchup?
AZ
Registered Broad

Post #531 by AZ » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:45 pm

Curry Rage wrote:
Thomas Malthus wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:Means even less than usual this year.

More that having the best record in the league doesn’t mean much when you don’t really play *the league* and it’s a bit of a participation prize anyway.

100% but if the Leafs get it it's still going to be delicious trolling bait.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #532 by Curry Rage » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:26 pm

Whit Dickman wrote:
Thomas Malthus wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:Means even less than usual this year.

I think he means because teams are only playing within their division, so the President's trophy will likely go to the best team in the softest division

Thanks for translating. Are my posts appearing in Tagalog? Would explain a lot.
Kerfoot delenda est
Dynrehab
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 125 times
Received rep: 280 times

Post #533 by Dynrehab » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:27 pm

AZ wrote:You have to play Hall in the top 6 as his main gifts are playmaking and retrievals on the forecheck which is exactly what you want flanking JT or Matthews.

My galaxy brain idea:

Hall - Tavares - Mikheyev
Galchenyuk - Nylander - Engvall
Robertson - Spezza - Simmonds

No Jumbo?
AZ
Registered Broad

Post #534 by AZ » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:01 am

Jumbo has been pretty awful the last month. I think it may benefit him to rotate in and out of the lineup instead of playing everyday.
WTF
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 440 times
Received rep: 831 times

Post #535 by WTF » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:08 pm

Well that sucks but after seeing what happened with the Canucks, there's no point in chancing it.
AZ
Registered Broad

Post #536 by AZ » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:40 pm

Seven days from Wednesday or seven days from today?

Edit: Either way he will be back on Thursday against WPG.
Dynrehab
Registered Broad

Post #537 by Dynrehab » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:11 pm

AZ wrote:Jumbo has been pretty awful the last month. I think it may benefit him to rotate in and out of the lineup instead of playing everyday.

Jumbo is the bomb!
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #538 by Whit Dickman » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:29 pm

Leafs traded for Riley Nash. Might just be injury insurance, but can kill PKs (is on the BJs second unit)

[Looks like Nash is, himself, injured. But seems he might be back for playoffs?]

Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #539 by Whit Dickman » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:32 pm

AZ
Registered Broad

Post #540 by AZ » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:09 pm

Its pretty shrewd of the Leafs to essentially buy cap space by acquiring an LTIR forward. If I am correct they are now able to exceed the cap by Nash' prorated cap. I wonder if Andersen is next, that would free up the cap necessary to acquire multiple impact players at the deadline.
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #541 by Whit Dickman » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:45 pm

Andersen has apparently already been placed on LTI retrospectively. Leafs now have like $7-8 mill in cap space (if Andersen were to stay on LTIR until the playoffs. There's no cap in the playoffs of course)

Dubas and Pridham are very good at their jobs
Dynrehab
Registered Broad

Post #542 by Dynrehab » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:09 pm

AZ wrote:Its pretty shrewd of the Leafs to essentially buy cap space by acquiring an LTIR forward. If I am correct they are now able to exceed the cap by Nash' prorated cap. I wonder if Andersen is next, that would free up the cap necessary to acquire multiple impact players at the deadline.

While it does allow you to exceed by his cap, you also have to account for his cap bit, making it neutral. This is a depth move for a player who’s cap hit had 0 impact on the team.
AZ
Registered Broad

Post #543 by AZ » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:16 pm

Whit Dickman wrote:Andersen has apparently already been placed on LTI retrospectively. Leafs now have like $7-8 mill in cap space (if Andersen were to stay on LTIR until the playoffs. There's no cap in the playoffs of course)

Dubas and Pridham are very good at their jobs

According to Earl Schwartz the Leafs have to keep Andersen on LTIR all season unless they dump 1.35M.
AZ
Registered Broad

Post #544 by AZ » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:19 pm

Dynrehab wrote:
AZ wrote:Its pretty shrewd of the Leafs to essentially buy cap space by acquiring an LTIR forward. If I am correct they are now able to exceed the cap by Nash' prorated cap. I wonder if Andersen is next, that would free up the cap necessary to acquire multiple impact players at the deadline.

While it does allow you to exceed by his cap, you also have to account for his cap bit, making it neutral. This is a depth move for a player who’s cap hit had 0 impact on the team.

I'm not sure what you mean, can you please elaborate.
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 106 times
Received rep: 1283 times

Post #545 by Craig » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:20 am

AZ wrote:
Dynrehab wrote:

You can go over the cap by his salary, but his salary still counts, so the net effect is nil, other than you get to activate Nash later when cap hits don't matter. The Leafs don't get extra deadline space from picking him up.

In fact, I think this costs them deadline space since it puts them over the cap so they're not accruing cap space any more. I'm not 100% on this, but I doubt ltir space accrues like regular cap space does.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #546 by Curry Rage » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:47 am

Whit Dickman wrote:https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1380643204597481473?s=20

Now THAT’S a deadline pickup. He’s not the versatile 3C I’d love to see but he does tick a lot of those boxes. It shifts Engvall back to the wing and gives Keefe another look to throw out there in a lot of situations.

I’ll wait on an explanation of the cap stuff.

I’d still be happy to see a top-6ish forward not named Taylor Hall, if only because I worry about what he does to the room and because he and Willy on a line is a whole lot of float risk. But, I can see this management group opting for more skill/fun. It fits the MO.

This move likely signals that they like Kerfoot with Spezza enough to create an offensive 4th line to score in soft minutes. I still don’t love him in the middle, and he makes too much on the wing, but playing with Spezza means he doesn’t need to take draws.

I’m one of the few who would rather see them pick up a D, and not necessarily just a warm body for depth. I’m not sure how you’d make it all fit with handedness etc, but another guy who could step up into #4-5 minutes — at minimum - if needed would be awesome and I think that kind of depth is more important than more scoring. I’d love to take on Savard and have Bogosian be next man up. A guy like Ekholm is probably too much to ask at this point, but chucking either in would basically give us three top-4ish D groups. Sandin’s injury made it impossible to tell where he’s at, and that’s not a risk I’d like to take, but it may happen.

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Savard

Sandin LD, Bogo RD depth. MarMar manning the chicken wing station upstairs.

If Keefe is brave, he could risk the chemistry he has in Muzzin/Holl and reunite his Calder Cup Dermott/Holl pair in some situations, giving you Muzzin/Savard to put out against...well...pretty much anyone you want.

We’ve scored plenty this year without the defence needing to contribute heavily outside of making good decisions to get the puck into our forwards’ hands. Savard is not a slouch with the puck despite the bruiser reputation.
:vince:
Kerfoot delenda est
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #547 by Curry Rage » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:51 am

Craig wrote:
AZ wrote:
Dynrehab wrote:

You can go over the cap by his salary, but his salary still counts, so the net effect is nil, other than you get to activate Nash later when cap hits don't matter. The Leafs don't get extra deadline space from picking him up.

In fact, I think this costs them deadline space since it puts them over the cap so they're not accruing cap space any more. I'm not 100% on this, but I doubt ltir space accrues like regular cap space does.

Yeah, if it accrued the same way, wouldn’t it just allow rich teams to stockpile LTIR guys during the regular season and then activate them for the playoffs because they can afford to pay people not to play? But, I don’t know about that stuff.
Kerfoot delenda est
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #548 by Curry Rage » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:27 am

Kerfoot delenda est
AZ
Registered Broad

Post #549 by AZ » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:14 pm

Craig wrote:
AZ wrote:
Dynrehab wrote:

This is where I get confused, if we can exceed the cap by Nash' cap than how is the net effect nill? Can't they, as an example, add someone like Laughton using the LTIR space available? Not to mention that they also had to LTI Andersen which gives us an additional 5M.

As for your second point, my understanding is also that we lose or rather will lose the space we have accrued up to this point.
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 106 times
Received rep: 1283 times

Post #550 by Craig » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:32 pm

AZ wrote:
Craig wrote:
AZ wrote:

This is where I get confused, if we can exceed the cap by Nash' cap than how is the net effect nill? Can't they, as an example, add someone like Laughton using the LTIR space available? Not to mention that they also had to LTI Andersen which gives us an additional 5M.

As for your second point, my understanding is also that we lose or rather will lose the space we have accrued up to this point.

Sure you can use the ltir space, but that just gives you back the cap space you had before signing him.

Say you were at 47.5 million cap hit against a 50 million cap. Now you go get a guy making 2.5 who is on ltir. Yes, you can now spend up to 52.5, but your current cap hit is now 50. You don't gain more space now, but you do get to activate Mr. 2.5 million in the playoffs where the cap hits don't matter.

I'm not sure a guy coming back from a serious injury on a new team he's not familiar with in the playoffs is that big of an advantage, but I suppose at worst it's just a little extra depth.

Return to “The John Tavares show ft. Auston Matthews”