Post #7252 by vf » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:24 am

Pugnacity. Truculence. Stupid.
paulster
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 415 times
Received rep: 169 times

Re: The Battle for the Fenwick Cup - Out of Town GDT and Discussion

Post #7253 by paulster » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:42 am

Get that boorish behaviour out of the game!!
vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 259 times
Received rep: 168 times

Post #7254 by vf » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:59 am

Players interfering and throwing punches from the benches, players returning to the ice after being kicked out, players fighting on the ground and ragdolling a guy already down actually does need to get out of the game. It's this stupid shit that is killing the good parts of a rough game.
paulster
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 415 times
Received rep: 169 times

Post #7255 by paulster » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:49 pm

vf wrote:Players interfering and throwing punches from the benches, players returning to the ice after being kicked out, players fighting on the ground and ragdolling a guy already down actually does need to get out of the game. It's this stupid shit that is killing the good parts of a rough game.

Actually, it does need to go.
Honus Joglund
Registered Broad
Received rep: 218 times

Post #7256 by Honus Joglund » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:19 pm

Montreal Habs blow three leads to Phoenix Yotes to give them their first regulation win of the year in just their 21st game. :lou_laugh:
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 81 times
Received rep: 286 times

Post #7257 by Thomas Malthus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:31 am

God what I would do to get OEL...
"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything." - Ronald Coase
"[...]all models are wrong, some are useful." - George E. P. Box
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 245 times
Received rep: 322 times

Post #7258 by LeafOfBread » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:00 am

Thomas Malthus wrote:God what I would do to get OEL...

Blow Chayka?
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 22 times
Received rep: 106 times

Post #7259 by Whit Dickman » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:06 pm

What do you think it would take? Do you know if he ever plays the right side?
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #7260 by LeafOfBread » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:15 pm

Whit Dickman wrote:

At least a 1st, top prospect and good young NHLer to start I think. A 1st, Liljegren, Connor Brown would probably be the starting point and I'm sure Chayka would still ask for a lot more (like Marner/Nylander).
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 23 times
Received rep: 190 times

Post #7261 by Craig » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:59 pm

They don't need more forwards.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #7262 by Thomas Malthus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:20 pm

Whit Dickman wrote:

I'm pretty sure he doesn't play the right side but I don't watch enough to know if he's ever played there. I think to cost would be prohibitively high, maybe Timmy, two firsts and a second? You'd have to move out salary though, I mean you could ship JvR out if you're not re-signing him, that's probably a first round pick at least for Arizona when they flip him at the deadline.

OEL - MFR
Gardiner - Hainsey
Borgman - Zaitsev

Tough part in this is that some of the benefit of bringing in OEL is lost by shifting MFR to the right side. Depending on the alternative player, it might be better to pay less and get a right handed guy instead since you could hypothetically get the same benefit if the difference between the alternative righty and OEL is exactly as big as the difference between MFR on the left vs MFR on the right.

*shrug* I dunno, I'm just daydreaming over here.
"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything." - Ronald Coase
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 344 times
Received rep: 214 times

Post #7263 by Curry Rage » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:25 pm

LeafOfBread wrote:

Blow Chayka?

Been there, done that.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
stoney
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 132 times
Received rep: 62 times

Post #7264 by stoney » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:33 am

The Oilers iced an absolutely pitiful effort last night.

I thought they were over-hyped (especially in the west) but I wouldn't expect that type of mail-in game.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #7265 by Curry Rage » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:40 am

stoney wrote:The Oilers iced an absolutely pitiful effort last night.

I thought they were over-hyped (especially in the west) but I wouldn't expect that type of mail-in game.

McClennan should start polishing up his CV.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
stoney
Registered Broad

Post #7266 by stoney » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:04 am

Curry Rage wrote:

I've seen him single out players in a negative way a few times so far. Maybe he did that in SJ and no one was watching, but it doesn't have a shelf live in EDM.

Cue the sad McDavid face.
mooseOAK
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 13 times
Received rep: 143 times

Post #7267 by mooseOAK » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:47 am

McLellan did take Patrick Marleau’s captaincy away.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #7268 by LeafOfBread » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:58 am

Everything went right for them last year and Talbot played out of his mind. Their D as a result was super overrated, I honestly thought the Leafs had a better group of D-men coming into the season, which was laughed at in the off-season but certainly doesn't seem so funny now. Hall for Larsson looked questionable when it was made but now it's just an unmitigated disaster. The Griffin Reinhart trade might be one of the worst in NHL history as well.
stoney
Registered Broad

Post #7269 by stoney » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:06 am

LeafOfBread wrote:

Everything went right for them last year and Talbot played out of his mind. Their D as a result was super overrated, I honestly thought the Leafs had a better group of D-men coming into the season, which was laughed at in the off-season but certainly doesn't seem so funny now. Hall for Larsson looked questionable when it was made but now it's just an unmitigated disaster. The Griffin Reinhart trade might be one of the worst in NHL history as well.

I like our D. We are a piece away from good balance and stability IMO. The only real concern I have is having only 2 PK guys. Insert a #3-4 type that can take some minutes back from Hainsey and Zaitsev while playing a solid 5v5 and I think we are rolling.

Carrick is fine, but he isn't contributing to either special team unit.
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 170 times
Received rep: 280 times

Post #7270 by Philthy Thrillz » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:11 am

Players probably take McDavid a bit more serious being the top paid player in the game.
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 915 times
Received rep: 466 times

Post #7271 by vonbonds » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:38 am

LeafOfBread wrote:

How can you say the Hall for Larsson trade is a disaster for them? He’s their only good defenseman at this point.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #7272 by LeafOfBread » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:17 am

stoney wrote:
LeafOfBread wrote:

I like our D. We are a piece away from good balance and stability IMO. The only real concern I have is having only 2 PK guys. Insert a #3-4 type that can take some minutes back from Hainsey and Zaitsev while playing a solid 5v5 and I think we are rolling.

Yeah, hopefully Babcock starts to utilize Borgman more, I see him being a good fit on the PK. I know he doesn't want his ES drivers like Rielly and Gardiner killing penalties too much but maybe he should lean more on them as well.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #7273 by LeafOfBread » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:25 am

vonbonds wrote:
LeafOfBread wrote:

How can you say the Hall for Larsson trade is a disaster for them? He’s their only good defenseman at this point.

Larsson has performed at the level of a satisfactory 3/4. He is being played above his capabilities, and Klefbom and Sekera are both better than him. Meanwhile, Edmonton is having trouble scoring and have no depth beyond Draisaitl and McDavid. Hall is an elite winger and after a very unlucky year last season he is back to being a great player, and one the Oilers could've badly used, especially since they got rid of Eberle too.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #7274 by Curry Rage » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:55 am

stoney wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:

I've seen him single out players in a negative way a few times so far. Maybe he did that in SJ and no one was watching, but it doesn't have a shelf live in EDM.

Cue the sad McDavid face.

Yeah, I'm not sure McClellan is to blame, I just figure Chiarelli has revamped the roster over the course of a few seasons and if they continue to suck pond water the done thing is to can the coach and see if it gets anyone's attention.

Though, while I can't speak to McClellan's approach in the room, he had a veteran heavy group in SJ with strong personalities like Thornton around to steer the ship. I wonder if he never had to really *lead* the club like a coach sometimes has to do with a young team.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 915 times
Received rep: 466 times

Post #7275 by vonbonds » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:24 pm

LeafOfBread wrote:
vonbonds wrote:
LeafOfBread wrote:Everything went right for them last year and Talbot played out of his mind. Their D as a result was super overrated, I honestly thought the Leafs had a better group of D-men coming into the season, which was laughed at in the off-season but certainly doesn't seem so funny now. Hall for Larsson looked questionable when it was made but now it's just an unmitigated disaster. The Griffin Reinhart trade might be one of the worst in NHL history as well.

Larsson has performed at the level of a satisfactory 3/4. He is being played above his capabilities, and Klefbom and Sekera are both better than him. Meanwhile, Edmonton is having trouble scoring and have no depth beyond Draisaitl and McDavid. Hall is an elite winger and after a very unlucky year last season he is back to being a great player, and one the Oilers could've badly used, especially since they got rid of Eberle too.

:hellyeah:

I won't even pretend to say I watch Oiler games as they come on too late for me. That said on the NHL Sirius network he's the only defensemen that gets consistent praise on their D-core this season.

I would also say 10/10 Devils fans would love a take back on that trade as defensemen are more valuable than a winger and only Shero and Bergevin don't know that at this point.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 95 times
Received rep: 156 times

Post #7276 by AGENT ZERO » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:29 pm

I thought they were over-hyped too, obviously any team with McDavid should be expected to make the playoffs but the SC favorite predictions after one series win seemed premature, especially after the Eberle trade. However, I also don't think they are this bad and the underlying numbers suggest they have been very unlucky. Still, I think this is an opportunity to pry one of their good players for cheap, like RNH or Klefbom. Edmonton is notorious for overreacting and selling good players for pennies on the dollar.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #7277 by AGENT ZERO » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:36 pm

LeafOfBread wrote:

I still take Edmonton's top 4 (Klefbom, Sekera, Larsson, Nurse) over the Leafs top 4 (Gardiner, Rielly, Zaitsev, Hainsey), the injury to Sekera has been significant as it has forced the Oilers to use guys like Benning and Russell in top 4 roles and both suck hard.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #7278 by AGENT ZERO » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:41 pm

stoney wrote:
LeafOfBread wrote:

I'm still not comfortable with Gardiner and Zaitsev as our best defensive defenceman. Morgan Rielly has been excellent this year, but he is still among the worst defenders in the game at 5v5 xGA60 RelT which necessitates finding a capable top pair guy defensively.

Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad

Post #7279 by Philthy Thrillz » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:47 pm

AGENT ZERO wrote:
stoney wrote:
LeafOfBread wrote:Everything went right for them last year and Talbot played out of his mind. Their D as a result was super overrated, I honestly thought the Leafs had a better group of D-men coming into the season, which was laughed at in the off-season but certainly doesn't seem so funny now. Hall for Larsson looked questionable when it was made but now it's just an unmitigated disaster. The Griffin Reinhart trade might be one of the worst in NHL history as well.

I'm still not comfortable with Gardiner and Zaitsev as our best defensive defenceman. Morgan Rielly has been excellent this year, but he is still among the worst defenders in the game defensively which is fine if you have an elite defensive guy to take most of the burden, but we don't.

One of the worse defenders in the game? Little much AZ.
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad

Post #7280 by Philthy Thrillz » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:50 pm

I see your edit. Some elite company right around his name.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #7281 by AGENT ZERO » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:05 pm

Philthy Thrillz wrote:I see your edit. Some elite company right around his name.

There are tons of guys that are terrific players and bad defensively, Brent Burns is the poster boy for elite defenders that are horrible without the puck. I don't think Rielly is bad, but he is consistently at the top of xGA/60 both individual and relative each year. The eye test supports it too, he isn't good without the puck, but because he is scoring now (which was an inevitability with increased PP time) people think he is suddenly great defensively, he isn't. As for the company, the only guy there who I think is elite defensively is Duncan Keith, but it is important to note that he plays with arguably the worst defender in the league in Brent Seabrook, and is not typically on this list which gives hope that this is just a small sample size fluke or attributable to other factors.
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad

Post #7282 by Philthy Thrillz » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:06 pm

Is the stat you are using expected goals against per 60 mins played?
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #7283 by AGENT ZERO » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:21 pm

Philthy Thrillz wrote:Is the stat you are using expected goals against per 60 mins played?

It is expected goals against per 60 for the team when said player is on the ice. So it tells us how the team performs with and without Rielly.

LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #7284 by LeafOfBread » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:06 pm

AGENT ZERO wrote:
Philthy Thrillz wrote:I see your edit. Some elite company right around his name.

There are tons of guys that are terrific players and bad defensively, Brent Burns is the poster boy for elite defenders that are horrible without the puck. I don't think Rielly is bad, but he is consistently at the top of xGA/60 both individual and relative each year. The eye test supports it too, he isn't good without the puck, but because he is scoring now (which was an inevitability with increased PP time) people think he is suddenly great defensively, he isn't. As for the company, the only guy there who I think is elite defensively is Duncan Keith, but it is important to note that he plays with arguably the worst defender in the league in Brent Seabrook, and is not typically on this list which gives hope that this is just a small sample size fluke or attributable to other factors.

Eh, bad defensively I think is a stretch, I think he is just average. When you look raw CA/60 (score adjusted), he's right in the middle among defenders who have played 100+ minutes this season. Same thing with Relative CA/60. In terms of high danger CA/60, he is a bit lower, in the bottom third. xGF tends to move closer to these stats as the season goes on. He plays a high pace game, and overall generates more than he gives up, having an impressive CF%.

When you factor in that he is still playing top comp based off toi QOC and Star Rating on Corsica I'd say he's done well.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #7285 by Curry Rage » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:22 pm

He's the blurst!
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad

Post #7286 by Philthy Thrillz » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:01 pm

All I know is last night I kinda zoned in on him and thought Mo played a real solid game. Stepping up on guys in the neutral zone, carrying the puck out, passing, walking the line and getting it on net, etc... Ill continue to watch him closely. Something is different, not just his point total.
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad

Post #7287 by Philthy Thrillz » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:05 pm

Regarding his overall shit D, how much has the Leafs shit goaltending impacted his overall D numbers?
stoney
Registered Broad

Post #7288 by stoney » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:29 am

Philthy Thrillz wrote:Regarding his overall shit D, how much has the Leafs shit goaltending impacted his overall D numbers?

I bet his numbers looked alot better in November.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #7289 by AGENT ZERO » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:51 pm

The Leafs need to find a way to sign this man, it doesn't even matter who plays with him, that line will produce, much like with Matthews.

mooseOAK
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 13 times
Received rep: 143 times

Post #7290 by mooseOAK » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:00 pm

Tavares has to voluntarily give up millions to play for the Leafs, not much Toronto can do.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #7291 by AGENT ZERO » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:08 pm

mooseOAK wrote:Tavares has to voluntarily give up millions to play for the Leafs, not much Toronto can do.

They need to sell Tavares on the idea that this can be a super team with him in the mix.
Zardoz
Registered Broad
Received rep: 148 times

Post #7292 by Zardoz » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:42 pm

Honest question. Do you guys think Stammer would have signed here if he had known just how good Matthews/Marner/Nylander would be?
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
[SIZE="1"]Bring us your idiots, your hussies, your blue and your dreamy. Your steady, your huddled, your fisted and creamy. Your villains, your filthy, your cunts and your meese. Your carpenters and fishers and pastors and beasts. Your rednecks, your Safas, your trolls and your Brits. And like all good sailors, we like us some tits.[/size]
WTF
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 179 times
Received rep: 260 times

Post #7293 by WTF » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:46 pm

Hindsight being 20/20, I think he would have been inclined to do so since he'd be going to a up-and-coming team capable of making the playoffs instead of a rebuilding team a few years away from making it to the postseason.

I think what the team pulled off last year surprised a lot of people (fans included).
vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 259 times
Received rep: 168 times

Post #7294 by vf » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:50 pm

AGENT ZERO wrote:
mooseOAK wrote:Tavares has to voluntarily give up millions to play for the Leafs, not much Toronto can do.

They need to sell Tavares on the idea that this can be a super team with him in the mix.

Hopefully they convince Matthews to give up millions.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #7295 by AGENT ZERO » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:51 pm

I think it was ultimately up to TB as to whether or not Stamkos would have come to Toronto. I genuinely believe that we were his second choice, but once TB made him the offer that they did I think it was a done deal. Besides, TB doesn't have a bad young core themselves...
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #7296 by AGENT ZERO » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:53 pm

vf wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:

Hopefully they convince Matthews to give up millions.

All three (Matthews, Marner and Nylander) will have to sacrifice, and after a few years one of them will probably be a cap casualty. The upside is winning, and earning potential on a third contract, being on a super team drives everyone's value up.
MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 101 times
Received rep: 147 times

Post #7297 by MonkeyWrench » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:29 pm

Kucherov was the first contract in a while that had me thinking that the player legitimately gave up money to run for a cup. That 4.76aav is disgusting. Short term trade off.
cawbber
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 130 times
Received rep: 81 times

Post #7298 by cawbber » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:58 pm

MonkeyWrench wrote:Kucherov was the first contract in a while that had me thinking that the player legitimately gave up money to run for a cup. That 4.76aav is disgusting. Short term trade off.

Rakell has a sweet deal, too. Sub 4 mill.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #7299 by Thomas Malthus » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:22 pm

MonkeyWrench wrote:Kucherov was the first contract in a while that had me thinking that the player legitimately gave up money to run for a cup. That 4.76aav is disgusting. Short term trade off.

What about Crosby?

Edit: Whoops misread, didn't see you said "in a while" I guess it has been a while since Crosby's deal.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #7300 by LeafOfBread » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:16 am

If this is the cost for Vatanen then I'm happy we never traded for him.

Return to “The Auston Matthews show”